Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

put it on switch cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fallom posted:

put it on switch cowards

put everything on switch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

btw in case you haven't kept up with the lowtax thread hes at like 12k and david cross is his friend

so this happened

Lowtax posted:

Ask and ye shall receive

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 14, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I tossed Lowtax some money. I would hate to see this place go, it really is a special corner of the internet as much as I'm embarrassed to still be using it after almost 15 years

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The "Documentary/making of" is p good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40jdpzrpIps

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

btw in case you haven't kept up with the lowtax thread hes at like 15k and david cross is his friend

so this happened

I dont remember saying that

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fallom posted:

I tossed Lowtax some money. I would hate to see this place go, it really is a special corner of the internet as much as I'm embarrassed to still be using it after almost 15 years

im trying to save all my money and sell my house so I did my twitch prime sub to his channel

i dont watch twitch anyways, so why not give him the tiny amount of $ for the sub

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Didn't think of that. For some reason I can't use prime to subscribe until 9 April, but ok.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I upped my monthly Patreon donation from 4.20 to 6.90 (actually 6.92 because it was the next tier or whatever). I'll probably donate another 30 or so when I get paid. It's not much but I'd hate to see SA go, it's literally the only online community I've ever been a part of.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im trying to save all my money and sell my house so I did my twitch prime sub to his channel

i dont watch twitch anyways, so why not give him the tiny amount of $ for the sub

What's his twitch channel?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

TCD posted:

What's his twitch channel?

Lowtax posted:

Okay this has turned into quite a different thread that I ever intended it to be and it's weird and awesome now, so I was asked to post these links here

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/gaminggarbagelive
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage
Direct donate through SA: https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php

Thank you all so much, from the bottom of my spine.

Hello I still love you GBS and invite you to watch myself make an rear end of myself on the Gaming Garbage Livestream right now.
Welcome to Something Awful, I love you.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Awesome - tossed him my prime. Currently saving like a motherfucker due to a house purchase in NOVA.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Lee Carter, Virginia House of Delegates member, DSA member, and former Marine, playing KSP on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/carterforva

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1106769855464857601

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My angels/Bobs factorio games continues to be a poo poo show. So much that i had to cheat to reveal some of the map because no coal spawned next to me and that is bullshit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm bummed as hell that Satisfactory doesn't release until Tuesday. Why would you not release the game on a weekend, you dinguses :mad:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm still waiting. The things I read about the alpha bothered me, and this news about the Epic Games launcher snooping is concerning.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

EBB posted:

I'm still waiting. The things I read about the alpha bothered me, and this news about the Epic Games launcher snooping is concerning.

What was it you read that bothered you?

Also, that latter part is getting me all up in that concern a bit as well

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What was it you read that bothered you?

Also, that latter part is getting me all up in that concern a bit as well

Apparently it was also scraping the file steam stores your library and login session information.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Well, that's...uh, less than cool :stare:

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Apparently it was also scraping the file steam stores your library and login session information.

Not just that, but actively indexing what root certificates you have installed for Internet Explorer (think CAC card) and your IE history/cookies.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Anywhere you're getting this information from that I can read up on?

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Anywhere you're getting this information from that I can read up on?

WSJ article from november 2017:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-tech-giants-have-a-second-job-helping-the-government-see-everything-1512056284
https://outline.com/hpDNDe - Non Paywalled Version

Late December 2018 reddit post that first laid out Epic's TOS for their launcher and Store:
https://www.reddit.com/r/theprivacymachine/comments/aarvc9/epic_games_store_is_literal_spyware_and_worse/

Most recent cause of controversy showing the actual nuts and bolts of how the launcher is actively snooping.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jfc thats enough to stop me from pc gaming in general

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

poo poo like this is why adults still pirate games. At least Russian malware is polite enough to just skim your keyboard strokes for CC numbers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Epic had a variety of excuses but Valve has stated that they were pilfering private Steam user data inappropriately lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And uninstalled Epic.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

There's the irrational part of me viciously trying to rationalize that "it's probably not that bad" and "lol, what are they gonna do, target-market poo poo based on my Steam library to me", but jesus gently caress

I'm probably just gonna ask for a refund for the pre-purchase on Satisfactory, and reconsider if they actually address this poo poo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

And this is after the irrational part of me that didn't want more than one games platform out of convenience was overruled by my rational side because competition is an overall benefit for future games development and may turn Steam into less of a pressuring dick

loving Christ, Epic Games

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They didn’t even bother to implement email verification for their account system so people are finding that their emails were already used to register accounts without their consent. It’s like Epic was in a rush to put out the shittiest store possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Everyone wants to be Steam, but won't learn the lessons Steam already learned.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It doesn’t help that one, Tim Sweeney is a full on chud, and two, Epic is owned by Tencent. I can’t imagine they are not misusing data, especially when their excuse for scanning was it was less cumbersome than any other method, despite Steam REST API giving up access to your friend list for integration into other services like Origin and Discord.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've been on steam for over 10 years, not really interested in acquiring a collection elsewhere.

If it's not on steam I'm probably not going to bother playing it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Mustang posted:

I've been on steam for over 10 years, not really interested in acquiring a collection elsewhere.

If it's not on steam I'm probably not going to bother playing it.

Ah, brand loyalty lmao

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
More that I'm not really interested in having a bunch of apps installed on my computer just so I can play whatever exclusive game is out there.

Epic, origins, etc haven't really given me a very compelling reason to have their stores installed for their exclusives on PC.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I've been doing my best to keep up with GOG Galaxy's sales, personally. GOG doesn't actually require you to install their Galaxy thing so none of the games require that you have it, or have it on. It's just for convenience and easy store access, which I like.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You don't have to keep all the launchers running but that just means the next time you want to play a game on one you'll probably be hit with a mandatory 50 gb patch that wasn't able to download in the background.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mustang posted:

More that I'm not really interested in having a bunch of apps installed on my computer just so I can play whatever exclusive game is out there.

Epic, origins, etc haven't really given me a very compelling reason to have their stores installed for their exclusives on PC.

Command and conquer man, the closest you'll ever get to leading an army

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Disclaimer: I'm making an Unreal Engine game.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It doesn’t help that one, Tim Sweeney is a full on chud, and two, Epic is owned by Tencent. I can’t imagine they are not misusing data, especially when their excuse for scanning was it was less cumbersome than any other method, despite Steam REST API giving up access to your friend list for integration into other services like Origin and Discord.

Tencent is a minority investor, they don't own Epic. Sweeny is apparently the majority owner and has denied that any investor, including Tencent, gets access to any user data.

warsow posted:

WSJ article from november 2017:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-tech-giants-have-a-second-job-helping-the-government-see-everything-1512056284

https://outline.com/hpDNDe - Non Paywalled Version

Late December 2018 reddit post that first laid out Epic's TOS for their launcher and Store:
https://www.reddit.com/r/theprivacymachine/comments/aarvc9/epic_games_store_is_literal_spyware_and_worse/

Most recent cause of controversy showing the actual nuts and bolts of how the launcher is actively snooping.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0rxdq/epic_game_store_spyware_tracking_and_you/

The first article is probably invalid, at least until Tencent were to buy a majority share of Epic.

The second article repeats the misinterpreted Tencent association. I'm not a lawyer, but the User Generated Content thing probably sounds more excessive than you'd expect until you realize that the Epic Launcher is also used for distributing Unreal Engine to game devs and also hosts an asset store for said Unreal Engine, which has free assets on it that are released by users.

The third article ALSO misrepresents the association with Tencent. Some of what's going on here can probably also be explained by the Unreal Engine dev side of the Epic Launcher. I know I installed the source for Unreal Tournament, which uses a different distribution system, to a different folder/drive from my actual project and it showed up in the projects list in the Epic Launcher without me adding it, so it can definitely scan your hard drive for .uproject files. It probably does to see what games in your Epic Store library you have installed, too.

Since I've got a vested interest in how this turns out, I've been watching what's been happening. I think Epic would probably be well served to separate out the Unreal Engine dev stuff from the Store stuff and it's still really dumb that they didn't use the Steam API for friends list integration. There is a massive amount of gaben fanboy misinformation flying around, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I kinda figured a part of the story may be fanboys on Reddit dogpiling and blowing it out of proportion, but if there were absolutely nothing to it, I don't think it'd be getting this level of traction, or an admission of the CEO that there's still some poo poo in the launcher from the early release days fishing around.

To be perfectly honest, the Tencent issue doesn't bother me as much as some of the other stuff. Your user data is always at risk of being compromised in some huge hack/leak like we see every other year, you can't really insulate yourself against that, especially not against being target-marketed to. What you can and should do is keep sensitive stuff either separate and/or behind multi-step authentication like I do with personal documents, banking stuff, etc.

In other news, Dwarf Fortress is apparently coming to steam in 2019, along with integrated mod and workshop support. Not entirely sure what that means, but I'm assuming it's going to make it a lot easier to get into the game without massive walls of :words: in forum posts and Bethesda-esque mod setup fuckery.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

In non-surprising news, MRA idiots on social media apparently have been trying to stir up a shitstorm because you can't play Satisfactory as a male character :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I kinda figured a part of the story may be fanboys on Reddit dogpiling and blowing it out of proportion, but if there were absolutely nothing to it, I don't think it'd be getting this level of traction, or an admission of the CEO that there's still some poo poo in the launcher from the early release days fishing around.

To be perfectly honest, the Tencent issue doesn't bother me as much as some of the other stuff. Your user data is always at risk of being compromised in some huge hack/leak like we see every other year, you can't really insulate yourself against that, especially not against being target-marketed to. What you can and should do is keep sensitive stuff either separate and/or behind multi-step authentication like I do with personal documents, banking stuff, etc.

In other news, Dwarf Fortress is apparently coming to steam in 2019, along with integrated mod and workshop support. Not entirely sure what that means, but I'm assuming it's going to make it a lot easier to get into the game without massive walls of :words: in forum posts and Bethesda-esque mod setup fuckery.

Yeah, pretty much. There's some problems to fix, but Epic seems pretty responsive to criticism, from what I've seen.

I do think it's a little strange that a bunch of people are up in arms about Epic reading a Steam file to import your friends (which was definitely the wrong way to go about it, certainly) but I have seen exactly one person, in a comment, bring up the point that Steam has the file sitting there in plain text to be read in the first place.