Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well look what we have here everyone, someone that rains on our parade and dreams by introducing laws of thermal-dyamics.

Oh at the time no one wanted it to be possible more than I did. I blame the broken laws of the universe, but there isn't much satisfaction in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All the *good* engines BMW ever made used traditional throttles. Coincidence?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

Uhhhhhhh What?

An automotive clutch is a force opening system. The force that you apply via the clutch actuator to open the clutch is bearing on the crankshaft via the membrane plate and clutch basket, which is directly bolted to the flywheel/crankshaft.

Look at it this way. You bolt a spring with a washer to a nut. If you clamp the nut in a vice and pull on on the washer to release the spring pressure, the nut has to hold the force that you apply. Depending on if you have a pushed or pulled clutch, this may get one step more complicated because of the leverage, but in the end it's just changing the direction you push the crankshaft when you open the clutch.

I know this is a bit of a brainfuck because intuitively we think releasing the clutch takes the force of the pressure plate and therefore off the flywheel and crankshaft, but it's exactly the other way around.

Also yeah clutch switches suck.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 15, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well look what we have here everyone, someone that rains on our parade and dreams by introducing laws of thermal-dyamics.

Maybe the law has changed in a decade?
:spergin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

S2000 with a little dynamic weight reduction/active aero

https://i.imgur.com/YgxW8IL.mp4

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good ol frp mugen replica tops. The front bolts tend to work themselves loose, front lifts, and there she goes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Impending horrible mechanical failures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWH62imt8nw

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BlackMK4 posted:

Good ol frp mugen replica tops. The front bolts tend to work themselves loose, front lifts, and there she goes.

I really hate stupid rules like requiring convertibles to have a top up to run.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

That is a funny looking drag chute.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Plus people tend to seriously underestimate the aerodynamic forces. I learned that lesson when a few splitters didn't hold up so well around the banking at cal speedway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's almost like it was throwing confetti right at the finish line. "I FINISHED! I FINISHED! I FINISHED! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE *POP*"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Combat Theory posted:

An automotive clutch is a force opening system. The force that you apply via the clutch actuator to open the clutch is bearing on the crankshaft via the membrane plate and clutch basket, which is directly bolted to the flywheel/crankshaft.

Look at it this way. You bolt a spring with a washer to a nut. If you clamp the nut in a vice and pull on on the washer to release the spring pressure, the nut has to hold the force that you apply. Depending on if you have a pushed or pulled clutch, this may get one step more complicated because of the leverage, but in the end it's just changing the direction you push the crankshaft when you open the clutch.

I know this is a bit of a brainfuck because intuitively we think releasing the clutch takes the force of the pressure plate and therefore off the flywheel and crankshaft, but it's exactly the other way around.

Also yeah clutch switches suck.
Clutch release bearings are sealed bearings and hence always lubricated, that was what I was getting at with your mention of this earlier.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Applying rocket staging theory to cars, I see

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

slidebite posted:

Clutch release bearings are sealed bearings and hence always lubricated, that was what I was getting at with your mention of this earlier.

You are thinking about the other side of the load path . The release bearing acts upon the membrane spring, but where does that load bear on?

The crankshaft thrust bearing.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 16, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Combat Theory posted:

You are thinking about the other side of the load path . The release bearing acts upon the membrane spring, but where does that load bear on?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm talking about the external release bearing. Misunderstanding from your first statement.

That said, don't be under the impression a cold start in an engine has zero lubrication film on the bearings. Plain bearings (well, bearings in general) actually have/require shockingly little film for load zone lubrication, and the residual oil is good enough for the momentary requirement. That's why every cold starts aren't catastrophic each time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Powershift posted:

Jebediah Kerman's new ride looking spot on!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm talking about the external release bearing. Misunderstanding from your first statement.

That said, don't be under the impression a cold start in an engine has zero lubrication film on the bearings. Plain bearings (well, bearings in general) actually have/require shockingly little film for load zone lubrication, and the residual oil is good enough for the momentary requirement. That's why every cold starts aren't catastrophic each time.

On a lot of Ducati v-twins, oil only reaches the vertical head 60-90 seconds after start :italy: all splash lubricated and roller bearing but still.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Slavvy posted:

On a lot of Ducati v-twins, oil only reaches the vertical head 60-90 seconds after start :italy: all splash lubricated and roller bearing but still.

when i bought the KTM LC4 the previous owner warned me not to go all wild on the autobahn since the entire head is only lubricated by whatever oil sticks to the chain and is thrown up there. Scary stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

when i bought the KTM LC4 the previous owner warned me not to go all wild on the autobahn since the entire head is only lubricated by whatever oil sticks to the chain and is thrown up there. Scary stuff.

He steered you wrong then, the lc4 has a little oil line that feeds the head to keep those precious precious roller rockers swimming. Don't know about the lc4 specifically but on the RFS you can actually change the size of a restrictor in the oil line to vary how much oil goes to the head vs gearbox. Presumably there's some esoteric ready to race reasoning behind this.

There is however an old Husqvarna motor which is a two stroke bottom end adapted into a four stroke. It had a reed going from the gearbox to the crank area. Crank case pressure would build up and pump into the gearbox area via the reed, this would cause oil to gently flow up a line to the head, where it would 'lubricate' stuff then trickle back down into the bottom end.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Wow thanks Slavvy, you actually prevented me from selling the KTM for a ZX-6R which I planned for this year. But now I have to fix the oil leaks for good

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I hate this type of video. Just some random rear end mugging the camera for 15 minutes without saying hardly anything of value. No one loving cares about your ego, get on with the project or shut up.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Combat Theory posted:

Wow thanks Slavvy, you actually prevented me from selling the KTM for a ZX-6R which I planned for this year. But now I have to fix the oil leaks for good

Maybe he meant your bike specifically doesn't get any other oil to the head because it's broken?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

thebigcow posted:

Maybe he meant your bike specifically doesn't get any other oil to the head because it's broken?

Lol, nah just a dripping seal on the kickstarter shaft but it's gotta be extracted with self tapping screws which is something I always relate to next winter break.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

No. 6 posted:

I hate this type of video. Just some random rear end mugging the camera for 15 minutes without saying hardly anything of value. No one loving cares about your ego, get on with the project or shut up.

After wanting more top-gear-esq content, and being horribly unsatisfied watching rich kids on youtube gloating about their cars, I found Doug Demuro's channel and it's really good (i'm sure i'm going to get dog-piled for it not being good, whatever). Anyway, if you like a reasonable person's take on exotics, it's worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0uPfIujgU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the dog pile. He tries too hard to be funny and is completely narcissistic. He was easily one of the worst writers for Jalopnik before he left.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ah, well, nevertheless.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Combat Theory posted:

Yeah, it's not pretty when they fail.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

LifeSunDeath posted:

After wanting more top-gear-esq content, and being horribly unsatisfied watching rich kids on youtube gloating about their cars, I found Doug Demuro's channel and it's really good (i'm sure i'm going to get dog-piled for it not being good, whatever). Anyway, if you like a reasonable person's take on exotics, it's worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0uPfIujgU

Doug Demuro spotted.

You're allowed your bad opinion. Which is appropriate for this thread.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
He's not terrible, just obnoxious as hell. After he decided to review a poverty specced Mitsubishi on the same metrics he'd review a supercar, I decided to stop consuming his content

I'm pretty firmly in the "death of the author" school of art analysis, but the intended audience and message does still carry weight in judging the quality of a product

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Who then is worth watching for car reviews? I'm on this insane car review watching kick.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think Savagegeese is the best new reviewer in a long time. I know many find it boring and slow, but I enjoy the more low key way of presenting. Not to mention the high production value.
Personally, I'm pretty fed up with the "HI GUYS XXX HERE HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY WE HAVE A SPECIAL ONE BUT BEFORE WE GET TO THAT LETS TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO THANK TODAY'S SPONSOR (that everyone is sponsored by that can't possibly be that amazing but ok) OH AND DON'T FORGET TO LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!" fake high energy stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Who then is worth watching for car reviews? I'm on this insane car review watching kick.

motorweek retro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqKKI8xz4Aw

e: square box: an overall aerodynamic shape

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think Savagegeese is the best new reviewer in a long time. I know many find it boring and slow, but I enjoy the more low key way of presenting. Not to mention the high production value.
Personally, I'm pretty fed up with the "HI GUYS XXX HERE HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY WE HAVE A SPECIAL ONE BUT BEFORE WE GET TO THAT LETS TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO THANK TODAY'S SPONSOR (that everyone is sponsored by that can't possibly be that amazing but ok) OH AND DON'T FORGET TO LIKE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!" fake high energy stuff.

I believe his channel is a side gig to the video production he does for auto OEMs - really feels like he's doing videos for fun & to showcase his work, rather than rack up subscribers and views.

e: I mean just look at what he does for a 15-year-old Chrysler. It's art. Imagine what he could do for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQdZ2jOX1Ag&t=36s

NoWake fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 17, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I like thetopher for new car reviews. He does extended drives and his videos really seem to give a feel for the vehicle, even if he isn't super technical.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Powershift posted:

motorweek retro

I emphatically second this, especially because I'm in love with the comparisons they run of cars that have, essentially, disappeared from the road.
Because the show has been in production since 1981 ('til present day, I think) you can find a lot of gems on their channel, and most of these are forgotten relics; such as this face-off between the "econo-sport coupes" category that features the Toyota Paseo, Nissan NX1600, Hyundai Scoupe, Saturn Coupe, and Geo Storm. Plus, their conclusions and opinions are worth a laugh, too. For example, they roll their convoy onto a college campus and declare that "[...] econo-sport coupes, like our five, are a hot commodity for new graduates [...]".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cethHtjEJ3I

Here is a comparison of the 1986 mini-truck market;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NxB3c_HHws

Edit;
"Red SPACECAB stripes are supposed to add a more sporting look, but end up being gaudy" is one component of their Isuzu pup critique.

They also review the rear passenger space in these mini-trucks and, in one cut, bang like a helpless passenger gasping for breath at a rear window that has no provision to be opened.

Then they slalom.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 17, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Back on the subject of mechanical failures.

https://i.imgur.com/r8jJrQc.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/xq4HbVp.mp4

oof.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
dummy torcc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Holy crap. That must of made a goddamn huge noise

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy crap. That must of made a goddamn huge noise

The sound of money exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hey man you know how somedays you just collect a paycheck at work?

YouTubers gotta eat too.

Yeah, the ads are annoying and a ton of YouTubers have annoying voices or suffer from a lack of scripts, but it's too easy to tap right 5 times to the thing I want to see that's being provided for free to me by NordVPN.

This has been my lukewarm defense of YouTube promotions.