Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone watching the McCann docu on Netflix?
Feel sorry for that fella helping translate. Reminds me of the Joanna Yates guy who got destroyed in the media for the crime of... being a bit weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’ve only watched the first episode OP don’t please spoil it by telling me if they find her or not.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Feel more sorry for that other woman in it that found her son in the book of nonce victims than I do for the Mccanns

Also they defo paint the parents as cunts

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anyone who watches an eight part documentary about Madeleine McCann clearly has a life more bleak than Madeleine McCann.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah eight episodes is a bit much tbh

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone watching the McCann docu on Netflix?
Feel sorry for that fella helping translate. Reminds me of the Joanna Yates guy who got destroyed in the media for the crime of... being a bit weird

He is weird, why the gently caress did he just roll up and start trying to do stuff? I watched the first two episodes but it's really heavily padded. I don't know much about the case so it's worth it for me (because mysteries are interesting) but it's still a bit....much.

Everyone should watch Love Death and Robots on Netflix, it seems UK based and it's 13 animated shorts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've watched the first two episodes and it's good but it fucks me up cause the presentation is so like American Vandal that I keep expecting people to turn around and make poop jokes

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Didn't watch any of Comic Relief because it's poo poo, but this is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXoAiPb4ipg

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Didn't watch any of Comic Relief because it's poo poo, but this is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXoAiPb4ipg

Comic relief, I think you mean an advert for Jeremy Corbyn!!!!!

I still can't quite believe the Mail had that as a headline. Showing people are poor is an advert for Labour now I guess.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Taear posted:

He is weird, why the gently caress did he just roll up and start trying to do stuff? I watched the first two episodes but it's really heavily padded. I don't know much about the case so it's worth it for me (because mysteries are interesting) but it's still a bit....much.

Everyone should watch Love Death and Robots on Netflix, it seems UK based and it's 13 animated shorts.

He’s one of the only bilingual people knocking about it seems so makes total sense he’d want to help and feel quite proud being able to if he’s just moved there coz his wife left him. Plus “a sun journalist having a bad feeling” is less than nothing. He’s less creepy than the 90s oval office journo investigating tbh. “Whys he always around!” Why are you always around you creepy acid wash boot cut pound shop David spade looking motherfucker

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That documentary is way too long and it's emblematic of streaming services needing 'content'. The Lorenna Bobbit documentary was the same way: 2 hours of content stretched as far as it can go.

Also the McCanns are negligent, but didn't kill their daughter.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They killed their daughter through negligence

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

They killed their daughter through negligence

There's no need to be obtuse about it. There's negligent and then there's the accidental death/murder theories that have plagued the case since.

They know what they did and they're getting a lifetime of punishment for it, but the weird insistence that they definitely (and directly) killed her somehow is baffling.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Not really.

Sketchy timeline. Cadaver dogs. The other children not waking. The immediate insistence she’d been taken. Insane quickness to get a PR team etc. The priest thing.

I don’t see how there’s any less evidence for it either way. The stolen for a pedo ring sale has less credibility in my eyes and surely you’d take the twins. From a business perspective it makes no sense.

Maybe a Ben Needham thing where she wandered off and had an accident/it was covered up (because of neglect)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

Not really.

Sketchy timeline. Cadaver dogs. The other children not waking. The immediate insistence she’d been taken. Insane quickness to get a PR team etc. The priest thing.

I don’t see how there’s any less evidence for it either way. The stolen for a pedo ring sale has less credibility in my eyes and surely you’d take the twins. From a business perspective it makes no sense.

Maybe a Ben Needham thing where she wandered off and had an accident/it was covered up (because of neglect)

Some of which is understandable, some of which is down to poor reporting as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the immediate insistance that she's been taken under the circumstances. It's reactionary. And it's your worst fear as a parent, particularly when you know you've left your kids alone.

The cadaver dogs are another issue. The dog supposedly signified there was blood/cadaver scent in the rental car except it was a rental car they got after the disappearance. So, what, they managed to hide a body while being the most watched people on earth at that time? Everything they were doing at the time was being highly scrutinised.

I personally lean towards her waking up and wandering off but the problem of course is trying to figure what happened next. However that's a problem with any scenario. I think the 'accidental overdose' argument can be roundly discounted though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think the whole group probably felt guilty about what happened. Sedation or not they all failed to adequately care for their children and the McCanns paid the price. I think they did stage some kind of cover up - but covering up their negligence rather than a murder.

I doubt they even planned it, just allowed themselves to buy into any narrative that absolves them of as much guilt as possible.

Somebody observing the group would have been able to see they did the same thing each night. They went for an easily accessible, unlocked, ground floor flat.

Doesn’t surprise me that they took one kid rather than the twins tbh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I absolutely felt for the Portuguese people they show that are like "1700 children are missing in Portugal right now, why the gently caress is Maddie getting so much money"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

I absolutely felt for the Portuguese people they show that are like "1700 children are missing in Portugal right now, why the gently caress is Maddie getting so much money"

They should watch the show it’s obvious why. It’s a newsworthy story and they got good PR.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know if the McCanns did it or not. My main takeaways from the doc were that Madeleine's most likely dead in the sea somewhere and regardless of any guilt, the Portuguese cops are absolute wankers.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I like moaning about continental police but it feels slightly bombastic and jingoistic to do so.

Why are things so mental over there?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thehustler posted:

I like moaning about continental police but it feels slightly bombastic and jingoistic to do so.

Why are things so mental over there?

They had a lot less funding than nowadays and it does give the impression they feel a bit like they're wasting a lot of their time on something stupid.
Which....they kind of are.

Also I can't believe how British that town they're in is. I know a lot of british people live in the Algarve but wow.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 18, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if I was using a huge proportion of my manpower and budget on a single case lasting over a decade I'd probably be quite annoyed about it too

not to mention dealing with the absolute insanity of the British press on a daily basis

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 18, 2019

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Taear posted:

Thanks for this, watched 3 so far and each ones been pretty good. Not really seeing the UK thing though. Unless you're thinking of Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

if I was using a huge proportion of my manpower and budget on a single case lasting over a decade I'd probably be quite annoyed about it too

not to mention dealing with the absolute insanity of the British press on a daily basis

And they were actively using random billionaires money against you.
That chav kid presented as an expert who set fire the the Russian lad’s car was nothing but some rich guys son lok

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fatty posted:

Thanks for this, watched 3 so far and each ones been pretty good. Not really seeing the UK thing though. Unless you're thinking of Alistair Reynolds and Peter Hamilton.

Yep.
And a shitload of the voices - not exclusively but in a lot of them.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The McCanns killed their child and this Fergus Wilson guy is a fat oval office

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

DrVenkman posted:

That documentary is way too long and it's emblematic of streaming services needing 'content'. The Lorenna Bobbit documentary was the same way: 2 hours of content stretched as far as it can go.

Also the McCanns are negligent, but didn't kill their daughter.

I’m on episode one and they’ve gone off on a tangent about how Praia de Luz used to be a little fishing village, then it got built up in the 70s with the British Invasion etc. That’s like every popular coastal resort in Portugal, Spain, Greece.... it seems like they’re really padding it out with the history of the town.

I always wonder what the press would have been like if the McCanns were less middle class. Like if they’d gone out to the pub instead of a nice tapas place. People would have been hounding social services to investigate them for neglect. It’ll be interesting to remember some of the case though. Most of my memories of it come from the insanely long GBS thread that lasted for years.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I reckon they did her in, like. Maybe just on accident.

This is TOP ALAN.

Omg Alan and Lyn back in the hotel :)

crispix fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 18, 2019

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Pete Gabitass callback!

Holy crap, twin magic!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There are so many little references to previous Alans. Like asking Lyn not to cover her brooch the same way he asked her not to hide her boobs from Chris Feather. And like I said before, first TV in as long as I can remember where you can find new jokes on rewatches. Also lol everyone in that Hotel bar was necking.

crispix fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 18, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably the best Partridge of the current series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God Fleabag is so loving fantastic

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably the best Partridge of the current series.

Really? I thought it was the weakest. Not bad by any stretch, but I thought 2 & 3 were stronger. The last segment was gold, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Really? I thought it was the weakest. Not bad by any stretch, but I thought 2 & 3 were stronger. The last segment was gold, though.

Definitely the best to me as well, it had the black and tan song!
3 was the weakest to me although it was still good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

crispix posted:

There are so many little references to previous Alans. Like asking Lyn not to cover her brooch the same way he asked her not to hide her boobs from Chris Feather. And like I said before, first TV in as long as I can remember where you can find new jokes on rewatches. Also lol everyone in that Hotel bar was necking.

I watched 3 again the other night and after Alan rushes his seeded batch between segments he grins and has a massive bit of green on his teeth.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Escobarbarian posted:

God Fleabag is so loving fantastic

I liked that her sis stole her joke, like what happened in the first episode of Alan Partridge's new show. Stealing a joke about stealing a joke, very meta.

(I know, I'm sure they didn't actually steal the joke idea, it's just a coincidence)

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I thought it was jumping up its own arse. Incredibly predictable sitcom shiz, coupled with a whole lot of people telling Waller-Bridge's self-insert how spectacular and wonderful she is.

Although the priest noticing her asides to the camera was a nice moment.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Really since the first Alan autobiography he’s been in top form; the Gibbons’ have got Alan down. I guess you could say he has, and is, bouncing back. There were too many jokes to even try to pick a favorite like in every episode.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Taear posted:

Definitely the best to me as well, it had the black and tan song!
3 was the weakest to me although it was still good.

Yeah, the bit at the end was the best part of the episode by far, but other than that, it felt like they were rehashing some of the jokes. I'm not saying it wasn't great, just my least favourite of them so far.

The bit with Simon and the member of the production team was weird. I assume it's going to come back in a later episode, but I was expecting him to be brutally shot down by her. I like Simon, but I hope they find something for him that makes the character worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The joke with Simon is supposed to be that he doesn't contribute much to the fictional show. Ironically, this bit doesn't add a lot to the actual show either. Would probably help to space out this and other recurring bits a bit more. As much as I enjoy Alan's rapport with Ruth, I'm not sure it works in every single episode.