Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was thinking this morning that the cobblestones actually could have been an interesting detail that added a fantastic element to the dangers and powers of magic but he wasted the opportunity because he used the word mend. As has been stated, you don't really mend cobblestones. You'd tear them out and put new ones in. He should have said that no matter what they did, the place was twisted or uneven or horses still broke their legs or cart wheels still shattered despite it looking flat. Imagine a city where there's a superstition to avoid a certain point in the road and everyone goes around it. A foreigner shows up and doesn't understand it and no one will explain it to him. So one day he's in a hurry and tries to walk across and trips and breaks his neck. Was it because there's some elemental power at play that changes the geometry or was he just in a hurry and being careless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Congrats, you are a better writer than Rothfuss

I think he just spits out prose, and doesn't go back and think about what any of his flowery bullshit actually means or implies.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The plot being wrapped up is pretty easy because we just need to see how things went sour and the faerie beasts got loosed on the world, Kvothe has to kill a king, and a couple other dumb things sewn up. It will end with Kvothe returning to awesomeness, now even awesomer that he's had to eat crow.

All of this could be wrapped up in 100,000 words. The problem is if he wrote it that way it would be inconsistent with the plodding pace of the other books. It needs at least 3 threads that have nothing to do with anything, school/debt problems, banging lots of maidens and saying you're welcome, and lots of lunch room talk.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BananaNutkins posted:

The plot being wrapped up is pretty easy because we just need to see how things went sour and the faerie beasts got loosed on the world, Kvothe has to kill a king, and a couple other dumb things sewn up. It will end with Kvothe returning to awesomeness, now even awesomer that he's had to eat crow.

All of this could be wrapped up in 100,000 words. The problem is if he wrote it that way it would be inconsistent with the plodding pace of the other books. It needs at least 3 threads that have nothing to do with anything, school/debt problems, banging lots of maidens and saying you're welcome, and lots of lunch room talk.

You forgot not banging Denna

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Five chapters of Denna telling Kvothe how wonderful he is and then getting mad when he asks her to be his prostitute girlfriend

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jesus loving Christ

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Scholtz posted:

Jesus loving Christ
oh lord

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

Jesus loving Christ

lmfao goddamn

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Baby man.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Scholtz posted:

Jesus loving Christ

Thanks, I hate it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's a masterclass troll move.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have to admit I’m a little impressed at how committed Rothfuss is to not writing. GRRM is still the master though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HIJK posted:

I have to admit I’m a little impressed at how committed Rothfuss is to not writing. GRRM is still the master though.

I love that his response to “when’s the next book coming out” is to get huffy and go “STOP ASKING MEEE”

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

mewse posted:

I love that his response to “when’s the next book coming out” is to get huffy and go “STOP ASKING MEEE”

He got on the groundfloor of "I get paid when people watch me and my buddies play DnD" grift and those events certainly take less time than writing a book.

Also, he can say he weaved a story simply by reacting to what a dungeonmaster throws at him, with some joke or some sort of heroic saying or whatever. It's like you're actually there.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Patrick Rothfuss posted:

I love Rick and Morty with a powerful love, and I’ve played D&D since the 5th grade,” Rothfuss said in the press release from IDW. “So when they approached me about writing a story with both of them together? That’s some serious you-got-chocolate-in-my-peanut butter $#!& right there. I’m in. I’m all the way in. I’m gettin’ that chocolate all up in the peanut butter. Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Never accept a PB&J sandwich from Rothfuss.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

While a silly D&D + Rick & Morty crossover sounds like it could be fun, I will not be purchasing it solely to avoid giving Rothfuss a goddamn thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pickle riiick!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm pickle riiick!

haha lmao

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm pickle riiick!

What did you think was going to happen when you rolled a 1 on the wild magic table?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I follow Rothfuss on GoodReads and when the Rick and Morty comics started coming out he kept posting on there about how he'd love to write for them, it'd be such a great project for him, it'd be wonderful to contribute as a fan and author, etc. Guessing he leaves that part out of the interview.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dienes posted:

I follow Rothfuss on GoodReads and when the Rick and Morty comics started coming out he kept posting on there about how he'd love to write for them, it'd be such a great project for him, it'd be wonderful to contribute as a fan and author, etc. Guessing he leaves that part out of the interview.

It was an omission of three parts.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm... Roger Stoooone?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I'm... Roger Stoooone?

Going with the recent ban, I’d say pretty accurate.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pseudanonymous posted:

It was an omission of three parts.

Holy poo poo :master:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Since BotL is banned and Rothfart isn't going to write anything but Rick & Morty, what are we supposed to talk about here now?

Is this the silence of three parts??

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, in the ASoIaF thread we usually talk about Rupaul's Drag Race.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, in the ASoIaF thread we usually talk about Rupaul's Drag Race.

Is that show similar to GoT?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I haven't actually watched it. I'm a big fan of double entendres and puns though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mewse posted:

Is that show similar to GoT?

it's a lot better

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

it's a lot better

It really is

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

it's a lot better

It has more magic and fantasy than KKC

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
From the AV Club on what fictional bar you would want to hang out in:

The Eolian. This is one of The Kingkiller Chronicles’ best establishments, the bar residents of Imre and university students have to pay a whole jot to enter. But it’s worth it. Once you’re inside you’re treated to the best music from the best musicians in the Small Kingdoms, there’s some solid people watching with rich folk staking out potential patronages, and scamps like Kvothe keep the entertainment fresh with his clever tricks that get him into trouble but keep the audience entertained. I’d love to sit back over a mug of metheglin while Kvothe plays the equivalent of a lullaby and sweats and labors over his lute, making it look like an impressive technical feat, then plays a monstrously difficult song and makes it look boringly easy, all to humiliate a noble who dismissed him for playing “folk music.” I’d be among the audience fooled by the trick, but it’d be so worth it to watch it unfold.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Poisonous link.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

From the AV Club on what fictional bar you would want to hang out in:

The Eolian. This is one of The Kingkiller Chronicles’ best establishments, the bar residents of Imre and university students have to pay a whole jot to enter. But it’s worth it. Once you’re inside you’re treated to the best music from the best musicians in the Small Kingdoms, there’s some solid people watching with rich folk staking out potential patronages, and scamps like Kvothe keep the entertainment fresh with his clever tricks that get him into trouble but keep the audience entertained. I’d love to sit back over a mug of metheglin while Kvothe plays the equivalent of a lullaby and sweats and labors over his lute, making it look like an impressive technical feat, then plays a monstrously difficult song and makes it look boringly easy, all to humiliate a noble who dismissed him for playing “folk music.” I’d be among the audience fooled by the trick, but it’d be so worth it to watch it unfold.

Sounds like boring baby poo poo to me. Take me to the Total Recall bar.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I've posted this before, but loving up "Teinkle Twinkle Little Star" isn't a joke, it just makes you incompetent.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Sounds like boring baby poo poo to me. Take me to the Total Recall bar.

:agreed:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I've posted this before, but loving up "Teinkle Twinkle Little Star" isn't a joke, it just makes you incompetent.

Agreed. I'm a performer. Played a stringed instrument on stage, even. If you gently caress up, especially at something everyone knows, the best you can hope for is merely losing the audience. Worst case, you're dodging projectiles and wondering if you can get to your car in one piece.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

IIRC he didn't gently caress it up, he just made it look like it was super difficult so idk, he had his tongue poking out and was grimacing a lot?

I'm pretty sure the passage is about as descriptive as 'i played this one easy song and made it look super difficult and then i played a real toughie but looked just so bored while i did it'

Captain Hotbutt posted:

scamps like Kvothe keep the entertainment fresh with his clever tricks

This is a potently cursed series of words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have no idea how you make it look difficult without it sounding bad, and I'm a string player too.