Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 18, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 10, 1935)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 11/15/52

Mopsy 9/16/41

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I don't think I'm a prude, but also I think there's way too much sex going on in 9 Chickweed Lane. Do these people do anything but bang or talk about banging?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Alterian posted:

Edit: The things like consistent use of storyboards and pre-production now a days has really helped with that. You can tell which "classic" directors relied on those techniques because their films still stand out as being excellent.

I mean if this is what you mean by fantastic from a technical standpoint then yeah, sure, movies are better than they were in Ed's days. But practically speaking what you're saying isn't any different than saying that movies are better now because they cost more money to make. Consistent use of storyboards and pre-production have not solved the problems of meandering plots and boring camerawork and I'm honestly not sure what mainstream movies you've seen in the last ten years that would give you the impression that they had.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Do we use salt to ward off evil spirits too? I can't remember.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^ We use salt to ward off bad luck, but that has its roots in using it to ward off demons, so sort of. Also, I don't get this one. She's saying a ghost is making sex noises?

RoboRodent posted:

I don't think I'm a prude, but also I think there's way too much sex going on in 9 Chickweed Lane. Do these people do anything but bang or talk about banging?

And if their roommate comes in and is like, "Hello, I see you guys are here on my couch, banging," they just keep right on banging.

"Oh, you were intentionally sabotaging our birth control and trying to get pregnant without asking how I felt about that? No red flags here! Let's bang!"

They say that having a stroke can change your personality. It's not like Chickweed wasn't mostly a gross old man's fap journal before, but I feel like since the stroke Brooke's become an even nastier pervert. Maybe the stroke killed the part of the brain where his inhibitions live? Maybe since the stroke he decided that life is too short and is getting all his wanking done while he still can? Maybe Chickweed finally got cancelled from its last newspaper and he figures he may as well go whole hog now? I don't know.

In other news, Daddy Daze is growing on me. I'm not going to donate to its patreon or anything, but I find myself mildly amused.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 17, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

In other news, Daddy Daze is growing on me. I'm not going to donate to its patreon or anything, but I find myself mildly amused.

I like to read it as a the dad using his kid’s sound as an excuse for speaking his own thoughts out loud, which is definitely something we parents do when our kids are young. It’s a fun one.

Alterian posted:

Like I said with a few exceptions, a lot of movies that came out when Ed would be talking about were pretty garbagy from a technical standpoint. If you want to go the super hero route, compare the 60's batman movie to a modern super hero movie.

Ed is what, somewhere between 55 and 65 years old? If so, he would have been around 15 - 25 when Superman was released. Now I’m no expert, but I believe that was considered to be a pretty okay superhero movie.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I know I'm late to the discussion of a Persona 3 strip, but I wanted to say I thought it would work pretty well alongside a lot of the strips posted in this thread, since so many of them already make me want to shoot myself in the head.

Prince Valiant

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Awww, poor sad bear :0(

In today's Corto Maltese: Enver Pasha's men invoke the spirit of the British response to the Indian Rebellion of 1857, or Don't worry, Ras, Corto will save the day!... Oh., or The spirit of France saves the day!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

I mean if this is what you mean by fantastic from a technical standpoint then yeah, sure, movies are better than they were in Ed's days. But practically speaking what you're saying isn't any different than saying that movies are better now because they cost more money to make. Consistent use of storyboards and pre-production have not solved the problems of meandering plots and boring camerawork and I'm honestly not sure what mainstream movies you've seen in the last ten years that would give you the impression that they had.

I'm not saying all modern movies are amazing, I'm saying a lot more older movies were loving trainwrecks that olds tend to forget about because they haven't actually watched them in a long time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales
Let's have a short recap. I haven't read more than a few strips ahead, so I'm not certain if these are relevant:
-Kustaa Perttilä alias Bertel is a great soldier in the Swedish army in 30 years' war. The king wanted to make him a nobleman, but his father, who hates the nobility, prevented it.
-Miss Regina, a bishop's daughter and a devout Catholic, is manipulated by a jesuit Hieronymus to assassinate the Swedish king. She stops the attempt at the last minute and is sent to Finland.
-The King dies in Lützen, Bertel is also presumed to be killed, but the body is not found. Before his death, the king wanted to give his legendary ring to Bertel.

Coat of arms is from the 20th century but it's great.

(the pictured stone church wasn't actually built until the 16th century)

Nancy

Dustin

Jäätävä Spede

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 17, 2019

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

^^^ We use salt to ward off bad luck, but that has its roots in using it to ward off demons, so sort of. Also, I don't get this one. She's saying a ghost is making sex noises?

I assumed that Taku was correct, and it was sex noises. She's trying to play it off like it was a noisy ghost because she's embarrassed and he's a bit of a creep.

RoboRodent posted:

Sometimes they talk about talking about banging.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 23, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 23, 1997)

Garfield Classic (August 23, 1987)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drat, Arlo and Janis! Going above and beyond again!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows it's the thought that counts.

Working Daze was published on 3/15.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is something we all grapple with, really.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Footrot Flats (1976)

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 17, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Angular Cyrus posted:

King Aroo 11/15/52

I'm starting to feel absolutely terrible for the fairy godmother.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech (GoComics remix)

Garf

Zip

Rip

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

Besides that Ed has said in a previous comic that his favorite movie is The Godfather

This makes complete sense, because having The Godfather as your favorite movie of all time is the absolute perfect boring boomer opinion. Which is not necessarily to say anything against The Godfather, but geez, come on, watch some more movies.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The number 17 has been considered unlucky since Roman times because of anagrams.

17 = XVII, rearrange that and you get VIXI which is Latin for "I have lived" (implying: I'm dead).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Romans had pretty good memes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

drat, Arlo and Janis! Going above and beyond again!

It does get some big things wrong, though only in ways that are fairly understandable for a US-based viewpoint. In particular it's very much not a case of "Northern Ireland wants special status, London says no"; the group blocking special status are Northern Ireland's largest political party, the Democratic Unionists, whose sole reason for existence is to prevent any closening of ties between the North and the South. Privately I think most politicians in London would be delighted if NI floated off into the Atlantic never to be seen again.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Closer to Home

Darthemed posted:

Geech (GoComics remix)

Funnily enough my phone accidentally took a picture while I was moving the book around and did a similar effect:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

NRVNQSR posted:

It does get some big things wrong, though only in ways that are fairly understandable for a US-based viewpoint. In particular it's very much not a case of "Northern Ireland wants special status, London says no"; the group blocking special status are Northern Ireland's largest political party, the Democratic Unionists, whose sole reason for existence is to prevent any closening of ties between the North and the South. Privately I think most politicians in London would be delighted if NI floated off into the Atlantic never to be seen again.

Yeah, I showed this strip to my wife shortly after posting and she similarly educated me on some of the stuff Jimmy Johnson and I weren't aware of. But I still admire his commitment to going there especially on a day that's so leeringly gaudy as U.S. St. Patrick's Day. And it led me to at least two conversations where I learned something new and clarified my understanding of the world, which like, has never been said ever about, say, Intelligent Life.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Darthemed posted:

Geech (GoComics remix)

There's something about this strip that the servers really don't seem to like.

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 19, 1972 (and this time I mean it...))

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy) (May 31, 1923)

Alias: Buster Brown (February 15, 1914)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Luxrage posted:

Funnily enough my phone accidentally took a picture while I was moving the book around and did a similar effect:

Y'know to be fair that accidentally elevates that comic from "racist in a lazy way" to "actually pretty funny and good" so bless your slip.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hostile V posted:

Y'know to be fair that accidentally elevates that comic from "racist in a lazy way" to "actually pretty funny and good" so bless your slip.

Scrolling down I expected [RACISM INTENSIFIES] bottom text.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

They say that having a stroke can change your personality. It's not like Chickweed wasn't mostly a gross old man's fap journal before, but I feel like since the stroke Brooke's become an even nastier pervert. Maybe the stroke killed the part of the brain where his inhibitions live? Maybe since the stroke he decided that life is too short and is getting all his wanking done while he still can? Maybe Chickweed finally got cancelled from its last newspaper and he figures he may as well go whole hog now? I don't know.
I don't think it's any different. Maybe the fact that it wasn't being posted here for a while makes the perversion fresh again.

F Minus

A little window into my life.

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This is far-fetched even by MW standards. I mean people can and do meet and even fall in love over the Internet, but they usually get further into conversations than a dating bio when they do.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Popeye's Cartoon Club

Flash Gordon August 1962

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2013 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

The Final Sunday NSM :smith:

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

uhhhhhh

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales
Let's have a short recap. I haven't read more than a few strips ahead, so I'm not certain if these are relevant:
-Kustaa Perttilä alias Bertel is a great soldier in the Swedish army in 30 years' war. The king wanted to make him a nobleman, but his father, who hates the nobility, prevented it.
-Miss Regina, a bishop's daughter and a devout Catholic, is manipulated by a jesuit Hieronymus to assassinate the Swedish king. She stops the attempt at the last minute and is sent to Finland.
-The King dies in Lützen, Bertel is also presumed to be killed, but the body is not found. Before his death, the king wanted to give his legendary ring to Bertel.

Coat of arms is from the 20th century but it's great.

(the pictured stone church wasn't actually built until the 16th century)

I have to say, I really appreciate your translations! It's fun reading your notes as well. I was on a whirlwind business trip across Finland back in January, so it's fun being able to think "I've been to Ostrobothnia!" and "I've been to Vassa (very briefly, to buy gas at 5 in the morning)!"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's so sad how racist Japan is towards bears.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bold move calling out jerry lawler like that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ghostlight posted:

bold move calling out jerry lawler like that.

yeah so this guy is just a pedophile then? is this okay to publish in newspapers???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz