Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

where the red fern gropes posted:

the chapter isnt even funny wtf

a chapter of dungeon meshi just dropped where the 'solution' to a 'problem' is "let's eat it. but wait, there's too much food. we'll have to get help from all the friends we met along the way, otherwise we won't be able to finish all the food."

why can't this series do that?
There is a twitter thread about a "Sincere dweeb" (self-described) from Virginia and how much they enjoyed Dungeon Meshi.

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/867146713068433409

Eventually, it gets to the Dungeon Meshi fanbook and Ryoko Kui (Dungeon Meshi's author/food enthusiast) explains why she decided to tackle food manga.

Point 31 is so drat relatable I honestly don't know what else to say about it. Nothing about Shokugeki no Soma outside of the foodgasms and maybe some of the Fate/Stay Night references seems anywhere near as genuine as "If it's the middle of the night and you get the munchies for some meat, you dun hosed up, buddy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry for the double-post, but for real, if you want to read a food manga, Delicious in Dungeon / Dungeon Meshi is fan-drat-tastic. Former ADTRW Mod and fellow Togashi enthusiast Bad Seafood made a thread for it last year if you feel like talking about it. :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ex Mod Seafood also enjoyed tormenting me at every turn so I wouldn't think too highly of things he liked.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

nah dungeon meshi is an incredible manga, just because someone is a weirdo i guess doesn't mean that everything they like is bad

like, dungeon meshi is my absolute favorite manga running right now

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Ex Mod Seafood also enjoyed tormenting me at every turn so I wouldn't think too highly of things he liked.

dont see anything wrong here

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The lore here is everyone bullies zep is zep's good friend including bad seafood. This is why he is very respected

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

support Dungeon Meshi. Female author. Great characters. Wholesome interactions. They eat all the dungeon monsters.

I've generally been on board with Shokugeki, even through the dark Azami times, but this latest insult to Megumi has tested my patience. The lack of well explained dishes, the magic loving knives. I don't even dislike fantastic elements but I like it more when its Megumi being a fucken hostess master!!

Im still gonna read this every week (cuz like Bleach I want to see where this poo poo show ends) but jesus christ what a nose dive. I even enjoyed the noir premise but this dipshit final boss sucks rear end.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

You know my biggest complaint is that he's not even playing within the rules of his own abilities anymore.

The whole "skill" of the claws was that you used all 5 claws to perfectly balance spices, not that you get to use one claw to magic the ingredient better. :colbert:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Conot posted:

You know my biggest complaint is that he's not even playing within the rules of his own abilities anymore.

The whole "skill" of the claws was that you used all 5 claws to perfectly balance spices, not that you get to use one claw to magic the ingredient better. :colbert:

... that’s why I don’t like magic, goons. ’Cos it’s magic. You can’t ask questions, it’s magic. It doesn’t explain anything, it’s magic. You don’t know where it comes from, it’s magic! That’s what I don’t like about magic, it does everything by magic!

e. Yes I'm aware I'm reaching high levels of Not Mad about a cooking manga, thank you.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 17, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly I’m pretty Not Mad about it too because I really liked the series :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Going to be blunt here, Saiba is a worse villian than Azami and maybe one of the worst villians I have ever seen.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I was down with Food Hitler. Because he still felt grounded within the rules set by this manga.
He didn't have some kind of super power, he was just an elitist rear end in a top hat with Senpai issues.
And he struck a decent balance between threatening and goofy. Remember him and the council of 10 skiing down a snowy mountain?

Saiba has NOTHING going for him. He's just Soma with super powers. Badly explained, dumb as hell super powers. And the biggest problem is, the concept behind Saiba can work, if you put some effort into it. Like make him a more powerful version of Mimisaka, someone who has studied Soma and his friends from the shadows, learned every skill and move they have. And have him represent an opponent who has the combined power of Soma's past adversaries that way. Instead of "I magically gain every skill from someone's knife"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mulderman posted:

I was down with Food Hitler. Because he still felt grounded within the rules set by this manga.
He didn't have some kind of super power, he was just an elitist rear end in a top hat with Senpai issues.
And he struck a decent balance between threatening and goofy. Remember him and the council of 10 skiing down a snowy mountain?

Saiba has NOTHING going for him. He's just Soma with super powers. Badly explained, dumb as hell super powers. And the biggest problem is, the concept behind Saiba can work, if you put some effort into it. Like make him a more powerful version of Mimisaka, someone who has studied Soma and his friends from the shadows, learned every skill and move they have. And have him represent an opponent who has the combined power of Soma's past adversaries that way. Instead of "I magically gain every skill from someone's knife"

That makes sense. From what I understood of his background, he wants to be Soma but better.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also food hitler had a certain joie de vivre when he did stuff. Like skiing, kendo or sleeping with Anne's senpais. Or taking it poorly when Alice said he hates him.

Eizan was the funnest villain this manga had, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Also food hitler had a certain joie de vivre when he did stuff. Like skiing, kendo or sleeping with Anne's senpais. Or taking it poorly when Alice said he hates him.

Eizan was the funnest villain this manga had, though.

Eizan was really good. Legitimately good at cooking, a good head for numbers, and a complete and utter prick. I'm trying to remember what he did during the Culture Festival because that's one of the best places to show him off.

It's a shame we'll probably not get around to the requisite Sports Festival because that would've been a nice event to twist into the framework of Totsuki, like partnering up with athletics schools during their festival and judging performance by how well the athletes do with diets created by the students.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

In my old age, I find that I'm way more into slower slice of life manga/anime than BURNING shonen and it's sad that the manga turned away from that direction

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Eizan was really good. Legitimately good at cooking, a good head for numbers, and a complete and utter prick. I'm trying to remember what he did during the Culture Festival because that's one of the best places to show him off.

It's a shame we'll probably not get around to the requisite Sports Festival because that would've been a nice event to twist into the framework of Totsuki, like partnering up with athletics schools during their festival and judging performance by how well the athletes do with diets created by the students.

He organized dozens of stalls, worked as a consultant and made a wackload of profit AFAIK.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Going to be blunt here, Saiba is a worse villian than Azami and maybe one of the worst villians I have ever seen.
Saiba is so much worse. Like Mulderman said, Azami was an rear end in a top hat but he played by the rules or changed the rules (of engagement) to put things in his favor while leaving the rules (of nature and physics) well enough alone.

Saiba is not a good character on any level. He's not intimidating, he's overpowered bullshit. His backstory is dumb as hell and doesn't explain his character or motivations at all. The world seems to exist to prop him up and serve him and by doing so it's trampling over the actually good characters in the series. I don't know who thought him up but I can never forgive them for the amount of disrespect shown to Megumi over the last two chapters. An unceremonious victory followed by an even worse defeat after her cool declaration? The gently caress was the point? Other than showing off the villain's stupid, stupid ability.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Presented without comment.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Presented without comment.

some of the tallest mountains in the world have their peaks below water level :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/304/5757/1

Chapter’s up.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah this is rushing towards a conclusion at lightning speed. Also Erina is a complete bitch again. Good to see that character development washed down the drain.

Sit back there you useless woman and let the men handle your conflict for you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Holy gently caress those are some truly awful things to say to Souma. This whole affair is just a complete load of crap for all involved.

Souma just saying “yeah not my problem, IDGAF” was honestly pretty damned refreshing

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 21, 2019

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
At this point, the only disappointment is that the manga isn't ending sooner by having the Soma vs shitheel fight in this chapter. I don't even care enough to be angry at how it's treating all of the female characters now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pnumoman posted:

At this point, the only disappointment is that the manga isn't ending sooner by having the Soma vs shitheel fight in this chapter. I don't even care enough to be angry at how it's treating all of the female characters now.

It should've just been made into a four-way cooking competition with Erina, Asahi, and Souma as well as whoever the Jobber opposite Erina in the current round.

The other thing that indicates the whole thing is coming to a close is literally all of the past characters looking to show up and attend the final match including Souma's dad who'll probably say or do something to tilt a match based on whatever he says/explains.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just hope they at least have the decency to pay off the long running testing of peanut butter squid. It's actually the perfect unique dish for the God tounge. How could she possibly have tasted it before?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Gyges posted:

I just hope they at least have the decency to pay off the long running testing of peanut butter squid. It's actually the perfect unique dish for the God tounge. How could she possibly have tasted it before?

Wow, imagine if both Souma and Erina lose to Mr. Shitheel and he does his bullshit magic for Erina's mom and she still hates the food, then Souma waltzes in and makes her eat some peanut butter squid and it turns out the trick to not spiral into depression because of the God Tongue is to just eat some horrendous tasting poo poo every once in a while.

Meanwhile, the cops arrest Mr. Shitheel for kidnapping Erina and everyone lives happily ever after.

I guarantee this would be a better ending than what's coming.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Didn't they skip like 2-3 of Souma's matches

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The best ending for me would be Souma beating Asahi, doing a 180 and just walking the gently caress out of BLUE and the piles of Nakiri bullshit

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gyges posted:

But they already did? Erina cooked that for her dad at the end of the last arc.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
who is yuunosuke

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

its p obvious from this rush job that SJ is playing the author off stage right now

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

who is yuunosuke

who indeed

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

This whole arc shouldn't have been done to begin with.
Shokugeki no Soma was a manga about individuality. Everyone developing their own cooking style.
Azami was the ultimate antagonist in that sense.
But after his defeat, the manga had nowhere else to go. So now we have chefs with super powers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Manga either end while they're short and good, or they run long enough to become poo poo.

Seriously, with maybe one or two exceptions I can't think of a manga that runs longer than say 8-10 years and doesn't become really bad. Some, like SnS, turn bad much earlier :sigh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you can think of two exceptions then that means you can think of manga that stay good though....

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oh my god, I just realized something insanely dumb.

The manga has been peppered with references to Fate/Stay Night and the main protagonists are walking Shirou and Saber derivatives. The current villain is a teenager who hoards a wealth of specialized equipment and can use them at will.

This stupid gently caress is a Gilgamesh reference.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The manga has been peppered with references to Fate/Stay Night and the main protagonists are walking Shirou and Saber derivatives. The current villain is a teenager who hoards a wealth of specialized equipment and can use them at will.

oh my god megumi is going to win

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh God.

If this manga does a "King of cooking, do you have enough knives" scene I'm going to loving scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

Oh God.

If this manga does a "King of cooking, do you have enough knives" scene I'm going to loving scream.
It kind of already did?

If you mean the dialogue, I seriously doubt Tsukuda and Saeki have it in them to pull it off.