Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

Okay I guess I'm a terrible person but apparently Ron marz punched rich Johnston and all I can think is that's hilarious

https://twitter.com/Nick_Hanover/status/1107013257611673600?s=19

I find it hard to consider Rich Johnston as "comics media." He's the dollar store Perez Hilton of American comics.

If it's the start of a disturbing trend, yeah, that's not great, but:

Skwirl posted:

It's not something I'd endorse, but I absolutely can't find it in me to give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I find it hard to consider Rich Johnston as "comics media." He's the dollar store Perez Hilton of American comics.

Sadly he seems to be the biggest voice in comics journalism, air quotes around that last word as hard as you like.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This does remind me - with Comics Alliance (RIP) dead, and CBR and Newsarama basically being press release repositories with clickbait (don’t get me started on ComicBook.com), what’s the “good” comics journalism site?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What is "good" here. Do you want CBR.com for the latest headlines. Or something like https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Johnston is mostly a gossip/rumormonger but when he is pushed into it has done more things resembling "investigative journalism" than pretty much any other site/person of his profile in the comics industry. He's also the most prominent comic voice that actually cares about superhero/superhero-ish comics and isn't entirely beholden to Access Journalism or whatever you want to call it. There are a hundred minor clownshow things he does -- I pointed one of them out yesterday in the DC thread -- but I'm not really psyched to see dudes high-fiving about punching him a decade ago.

As for why they're high-fiving and laughing about it now, it might be because it came up during the Frank Tieri thing (because FBB4L never forgets) in which Frank kramered in to defend Dan Panosian's honor, like triples down on the hostility of an already weirdly hostile discussion of cover art with some comics critics/journalists, dredges up a decade-old beef with Marc-Oliver Frisch (another critic/journalist) and essentially threatens to kick his rear end at a comicon. Some people point out this is dumb, so he offers to kick their rear end too. Then a ton of comics pros feel the need to point out that their boy Frankie is a fuckin' angel, would never do anything bad, anyone he punches would totally deserve it, how dare you insult our little angel. Including Sean Murphy.

Who a week later is all het up at Rich Johnston for reporting that DC has canceled a reprinting of Murphy's Batman: White Knight. Which they did. BUT THEY'LL BE DOING A NEW EDITION OF IT EVENTUALLY. Which the article also says.

This is why Sean Murphy is relishing the idea of punching a man in the face. This sort of gross insult.

https://twitter.com/Sean_G_Murphy/status/1106537040647200768

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Here's my thing

Remember the time rich wrote a whole article defending a Nazi

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

site posted:

What is "good" here. Do you want CBR.com for the latest headlines. Or something like https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com

Hoping for something which fills the void of Comics Alliance - news and thoughtful coverage/reviews. Thanks for the link to Women Write About Comics, I’ll be adding them to my RSS reader.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Here's my thing

Remember the time rich wrote a whole article defending a Nazi
I was going to say that was actually the head of Avatar that wrote the glowing Vox Day interview/profile, but I'm guessing you mean the older one saying that Ethan Van Sciver is not a Nazi.

quote:

Blind to problems that were not his own, possibly. Often not seeing the bigger picture, yes. Needlessly cruel and prone to taking a response too far, definitely. A bully? Sometimes. But white nationalist, Nazi, or someone who actually believes in fascist imagery? Less likely.

Which yes, was a bad article. Though I also got my workplace doxxed for implying Ethan Van Sciver is a Nazi (as opposed to just a fascist rear end in a top hat, you can apparently get away with that).

I do feel some kind of way about people (Marz/Murphy specifically, again not you) high fiving over a decade old revenge-punch (in vengeance for suggesting there was a speculator market for con sketches) less than a week after both of them argued it was cool and good for their friend to find my friends and kick the poo poo out of them at conventions for saying he's a bad writer and a bully.

Though by transitive property if EVS is a Nazi and Rich is a Nazi for defending him and David Brothers is a Nazi for defending Rich and I'm a Nazi for not wanting David to get threatened online, I guess I had better watch my back again at comics. I thought I was safe after Rhyno turned down the hit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

I was going to say that was actually the head of Avatar that wrote the glowing Vox Day interview/profile, but I'm guessing you mean the older one saying that Ethan Van Sciver is not a Nazi.

Which yes, was a bad article. Though I also got my workplace doxxed for implying Ethan Van Sciver is a Nazi (as opposed to just a fascist rear end in a top hat, you can apparently get away with that).

I do feel some kind of way about people (Marz/Murphy specifically, again not you) high fiving over a decade old revenge-punch (in vengeance for suggesting there was a speculator market for con sketches) less than a week after both of them argued it was cool and good for their friend to find my friends and kick the poo poo out of them at conventions for saying he's a bad writer and a bully.

Though by transitive property if EVS is a Nazi and Rich is a Nazi for defending him and David Brothers is a Nazi for defending Rich and I'm a Nazi for not wanting David to get threatened online, I guess I had better watch my back again at comics. I thought I was safe after Rhyno turned down the hit.

I was referring to Ethan is not a Nazi

I have no idea who David brothers is

site fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 17, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fritz posted:

Yeah after doing some investigation he ("dalabast") wasn't a mod, just a well-defended friend of some (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145535&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145609) which in the context of 'one doesn't want personal information available to mods / admins' is still pretty close to an example.

(also of note one can see how far ten years of 'trying to be better people on this forum' w/r/t/ things like slurs has brought us to)

I dont have archives, can you share the relevant part here?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I dont have archives, can you share the relevant part here?

sigtrap probated (and i think maybe banned?) people who brought up and called out that a guy who had a thread about buying and rebuilding an old mustang also posted on a white supremacist website instead of just banning the white supremacist, its hard to tell because the original AI thread was moved to the mod forum and all thats left is that helldump thread. sigtrap's excuse in the helldump thread was "people should have posted about him being a white supremacist in helldump instead of in AI"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was active in the thread and didn't really remember him being protected by mods. I think he just wanted to cool project thread to reach the end and tried to use the "technically he didn't break SA rules" as an excuse.
A few people got really mad about the thread being removed until the racism part was revealed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Quote is not edit

Cant believe cap shaved his beard in endgame

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

site posted:

David Brothers was hermanos, the mod of BSS before Waterhaul who was before X-O. He did some comics news blogging and still talks about comics on Twitter but I don't think he's formally involved in any news sites or publishing projects right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought he worked at Viz?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He’s working at VIZ currently as an editor, I believe.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

He was working at Image for several years and is currently an editor at Viz, yes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Now would be a perfect time for publishers to stop working with Ron Marz and for cons to ban him from their shows, unless they endorse creators physically assaulting members of the press.

I have never really understood the hate against Rich, most of the time he reports rumors or nasty things the industry prefers swept under the rug, which is pretty standard in any industry but for some reason comics seems unable to accept the free press.
He definitely has his faults but nothing worth physically assaulting him for.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

He’s working at VIZ currently as an editor, I believe.

You have no idea how weird it is to hear people talking about VIZ as a serious publisher. In the UK Viz is an obscene parody comic that at its peak in the late 1980s was selling a million copies an issue.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jedit posted:

You have no idea how weird it is to hear people talking about VIZ as a serious publisher. In the UK Viz is an obscene parody comic that at its peak in the late 1980s was selling a million copies an issue.

If it makes you feel any better, this is how I feel every time I hear the name "Manga Entertainment", who are still a company on your side of the pond and have been a husk here for years that Starz? I think? keeps squatting the trademark on and threatening to use for literally anything.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jedit posted:

The Drunken Bakers alone elevates Viz UK above 90% of what Viz US craps out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

This post made me feel incredibly old.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

The Drunken Bakers alone elevates Viz UK above 90% of what Viz US craps out.

Wrong

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
David Brothers is also a really really sharp essayist. If you ever want to pleasantly wile away some hours reading a smart person write passionately about comics, look up his backlog of stuff on 4thletter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess not terribly surprising but i know with the chud base there is some overlap between sa and kf so be on the lookout

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1107324811590668289

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I saw that and it incensed me but I wasn't sure where to talk about it here. If New Zealand can do something to take them down, then go with God.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Remember when he took the site down because he got doxxed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
because i hate myself i just spent the last 20 or so minutes seeing if this thread was mentioned in either the cgate or sa kf threads and we havent been in the 5 most recent pages of each i checked, so that good

but i tell you what, it's a trip reading a thread full of cgators who actually think people like evs are totally owning the sjws

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

because i hate myself i just spent the last 20 or so minutes seeing if this thread was mentioned in either the cgate or sa kf threads and we havent been in the 5 most recent pages of each i checked, so that good

but i tell you what, it's a trip reading a thread full of cgators who actually think people like evs are totally owning the sjws

How often does Renfamous or SJW Spidey get mentioned, he asked out of morbid curiosity?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in th pages i read there was about a page of people talking about the claire napier thing and then 4 pages of them talking about how cool evs is

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dont spend too much time on that, you might hurt yourself.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah, im not going any farther than i did when i made that post

it did remind me that i needed to run block chain on evs again tho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only reason I keep twitteris so I can open the links posted on SA without issue so I don't have to worry about interacting with CHUDs really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I see a lot less chuds nowadays, i only had to block 30k accounts first

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Only."

I'm trying to cut out of Facebook now as well but it's proving to be difficult.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
hey, someone mentioned comics """journalism""" and this is what I get when I google Brie Larson

super glad that google is feeding me poo poo clickbait upfront as a "top story"

this is more me venting about it than contributing anything meaningful to the discussion, but god drat seriously I would sure like to look at anything comics or comic movies related without having to wade through poo poo like this

SJW poster LUNATIC SLEDGE gets blood pressure DESTROYED by GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Star Wars Girl destroys Brie Larsen by yelling at her in a video Larsen does not know exists and if she did she would ignore

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

hey, someone mentioned comics """journalism""" and this is what I get when I google Brie Larson

super glad that google is feeding me poo poo clickbait upfront as a "top story"

this is more me venting about it than contributing anything meaningful to the discussion, but god drat seriously I would sure like to look at anything comics or comic movies related without having to wade through poo poo like this

SJW poster LUNATIC SLEDGE gets blood pressure DESTROYED by GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS

Wonder if it's regional?

Mine looks like

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's nice Cosmic Book Reviews is throwing off the shackles of just being an awful comic news site and is taking its seat at the table with Bounding into Comics and Bleeding Fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I don't get any results like that either. Maybe it's something in your past searches? If you're likely to look for that kind of garbage (such as to showcase in this thread, not to actually want to read it) then maybe that's why you're seeing it?