Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am willing to break the NDA and say Games good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I've lost every single match I've played so far, but am enjoying it anyway! I like these games even though I'm terrible at them.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Everyone's kinda rear end right now cause no training mode but so far just going off pure feel I got high hopes for this game. Lots of great neutral play, easy to bait whiffs, crushing blows I thought were silly at first but actually super satisfying to land.

Combo's being shorter is kinda not even a thing, I have already seen scorpion BnB's comparable to what they are in MKX. With Baraka I have gotten a legit like 50%+ damage combo + DoT using crushing blow's in sequence together in a combo.

Game kool

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
I really like the way this game is turning out. The pace seems about fine and I am impressed about how the game looks and feels. It all looks very smooth and does not look ugly at all. I have not been this excited about an MK game since 9 and that seemed like forever ago. Also, I am really excited about playing subzero, Johnny Cage, and Raiden.I really like Scorpion and his new moves and I think the meter management has been streamlined to favor more aggressive play. Although no backdash is going to get some getting used to.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm real pissed that you chowderheads get to play and I don't!!!!! Did anyone unlock the secret demo character yet?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Everyone's kinda rear end right now cause no training mode but so far just going off pure feel I got high hopes for this game. Lots of great neutral play, easy to bait whiffs, crushing blows I thought were silly at first but actually super satisfying to land.

Combo's being shorter is kinda not even a thing, I have already seen scorpion BnB's comparable to what they are in MKX. With Baraka I have gotten a legit like 50%+ damage combo + DoT using crushing blow's in sequence together in a combo.

Game kool

it's neat because now you can kustomize guys like Scorpion to have a lot of chain combos, or you can give him moves that focus on burst damage and aerial moves. I like how this takes the variant system of MKX and mixes it up with IJ2's "build your own kharacter" take, though thankfully gives you all alt moves at the start and you can play dress-up without you costume affecting stats (since augments dictate this now).

Baraka's stuff seems to be a choice of going madhouse rushdown or focusing on flag-related moves. Skarlet is kind of a joker's wild of stuff but also has a broad selection for her certain back, forward Circle pull.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Nice. Say, stress test people, how does the combat feel with the slower, more fluid pace that the videos were showing? (at least that was how I perceived it)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Nice. Say, stress test people, how does the combat feel with the slower, more fluid pace that the videos were showing? (at least that was how I perceived it)

the concerns are def melting away just from what I've seen and played. it's more a footsies game than the two previous MK game but there is more speed to it than what you've seen. still fluid and great to look at it but def not "slow" to me

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Thought they were supposed to be revealing Kotal Khan at some point, they said that a few days ago right? Need my fix of reveals drat it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

thebardyspoon posted:

Thought they were supposed to be revealing Kotal Khan at some point, they said that a few days ago right? Need my fix of reveals drat it.

Kotal is going to be the focus of the Kombat Kast next week.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1106915330234961920

So if you're a little iffy about the movement it'll hopefully be improved in the final build.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

dead gay comedy forums posted:

It's hard to tell because everyone's kinda bad, there are only three characters and no training mode, but from what I've played so far I can say that there's a lot more footsies + waiting your turn for an advantage in MK11 over trying to get your opponent into a corner and dial in your 45% combo ala MKX. It's kool. Skarlet is a neat character and I love what they've done with her concept in this game.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's hard to tell because everyone's kinda bad, there are only three characters and no training mode, but from what I've played so far I can say that there's a lot more footsies + waiting your turn for an advantage in MK11 over trying to get your opponent into a corner and dial in your 45% combo ala MKX. It's kool. Skarlet is a neat character and I love what they've done with her concept in this game.

DLC Inc posted:

the concerns are def melting away just from what I've seen and played. it's more a footsies game than the two previous MK game but there is more speed to it than what you've seen. still fluid and great to look at it but def not "slow" to me

Hell yeah. The main problem I have with MKX is that it is *too* fast for me and trying to combo poo poo together in these tiny frame windows is very hard to someone who doesn't have a lot of time to practice, so going to a more "tactical" game is definitely my thing :buddy:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Baraka stuff

1) spines is a trap. He has the best uppercut of the 3 characters and you don't need it for anti air, the extra comboability in the corner is alright but its only a smidge more than a corner bnb without it and you get way less damage midscreen by losing chop chop.

2) Basic bnb. Whatever (112/b31) into gut stab, ex, jump 1, f4, chop chop you can get anywhere from 35-38% depending if you did a jumpin or not midscreen.

3) corner BnB, whatever into ex gutstab, 1, 112, chop chop for better damage. Maybe can get a NJP in there too? Haven't tried yet

4) On punish 122(crushing blow on punish), f4, gut stab ex, jump 1, f4 gut stab(crushing blow on big combo) is like 55% + dot damage. In corner you can go F44(crushing blow) into the final gutstab for even more stupid damage

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The game looks sick even on PS4 non-Pro, can't wait to get this on PC. I played 2 matches and narrowly lost 1 and won 1 and it was pretty fun even not knowing any of the combos or moves.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

either Rain is gonna be in MK11's base roster or Ed Boon is the most ice-cold motherfucker

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1107278988429398016

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1107308978214559745

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm the worst person to ever attempt to play Mortal Kombat, but I finally started winning 10 infuriating losses to Scorpion later. I even made one guy rage quit because he didn't know what the block button was and I spammed Skarlet's blood tongue on him in the corner! :v:

Looking forward to eventually not being absolute trash and getting to experience the rest of the roster.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I imagine that once we have a training mode people will have a better time with it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Twibbit posted:

I imagine that once we have a training mode people will have a better time with it.

That and following https://testyourmight.com/forums/mortal-kombat-11.551/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just wait for the shujinkydink video that tells me what to do.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I just pick the lamest character and try my darnedest

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Duchess Smackarse posted:

I just pick the lamest character and try my darnedest

Grodd was my main in Injustice 2 until Leonardo arrived, so I understand your thought process

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Grodd was my main in Injustice 2 until Leonardo arrived, so I understand your thought process

Smoke > Catwoman > Mileena > Robin, here. I'm 3/4 which is pretty good.

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
The MK11 roster is pretty good and it's hard to choose a lamest. The dumb bullshit fan fave ones like Sareena and Rain would definitely be competing for that spot if they make it in though

fake edit: how did I forget about Raiden, he's in the title of the thread. Though gameplay-wise it's hard to tell.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You have to wait and see who gets clowned on the most in the story mode/fight intros to REALLY know who the loser is.

Smoke's got the hair, and whereas everybody else's intro is fairly threatening, his is just shameful.

Poor Mileena has such an awesome design in MKX, but she gets roasted in just about every one of her fight intros, and story wasn't terribly kind to her...

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I disagree, Kung Lao’s intros had him get dunked on basically every time. Poor guy.

What happened to Mileena was pretty messed up though.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am very excited for Jade. I liked her a lot in MK9 despite being pretty bad, so it'll be nice to have a version that is decent.

I mained Sonya in MKX though, so I may have a hard choice to make

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFFFFuuuuuck, is that why Rain is purple? I should have connected the dots.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gologle posted:

That and there was already a Blue ninja.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Gologle posted:

Apparently Ed Boon has always been a major Prince fan. I think Rain's kind of neat and way more interesting than cookie-cutter 90s Hot Topic girl Sareena or their pathetic attempt at making some sort of Blade/Morpheus cross-over with Darrius, who ended up looking dumb, small and with a sloppy, uninspired move set.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

They’ve added Klassic Towers to the stress test.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ha, just a few weeks back I thought "it'd be cool if Baraka was adopted into Kotal's Outworld legion" and now I heard a pre-match fight dialogue explicitly have Baraka mention serving Kotal Kahn. Makes sense given his talks with Skarlet I've heard wherein he got "replaced" by her.

Baraka has less meter burns than I though but a lot of burst damage, the opposite of Scorpion's strings and kombos. Skarlet is really fun too but it's gonna take a while to see the differences in all her subtle move variants. It feels like zoning like a day-one lameass is not really possible against smart players; the frame recoveries on most projectiles make it so you can close the gap and stuff people (not to mention the amount of teleports, armored meter attacks, and projectile shields being able to negate a potential Full Auto Jacqui) Now it feels like fireballs and similar moves are mainly to keep pressure in small doses while utilizing bigger, riskier stuff like the Blood Lick or Scorpion's chain spear kombos. It really does feel like a more footsie/spacing oriented game with a bit more strategy to it though it doesn't feel slow, either. This is all from a couple hours though so maybe I'm just an idiot but it did feel like this was very good thus far.

I think the only complaints I've heard (that I haven't encountered yet because no pro fights) is the kombo air recoveries maybe being too good or something. Probably will get tweaked but for the most part this feels like a nice progression from MKX though it'll take a bit to get used to the recovery/wakeup stuff and uses for the neat shorthop.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 18, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are Tarkatans like a hivemind and they're all Baraka or something? I feel like he should be dead if memory serves.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gologle posted:

Are Tarkatans like a hivemind and they're all Baraka or something? I feel like he should be dead if memory serves.

Time travel is a core part of this games plot

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Rain has been teased heavily by Boon on Twitter recently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dont believe his lies

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He's not Ondore

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

All this stuff about Rain is just misdirection. Clearly, Boon is just paving the way for the return of this long-awaited fan favourite:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Perestroika posted:

All this stuff about Rain is just misdirection. Clearly, Boon is just paving the way for the return of this long-awaited fan favourite:

I have played every MK and if you held a gun to my head I couldn't tell you this guy's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only thing funnier than Rain being teased and not being in the game would be a Sareena fakeout.

Noticed in the story trailer that Sub-Zero was nowhere. Wonder if they're holding back on him in the preview due to having story stuff to do with Noob Saibot.