Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my turn in the barrel posted:

I don't shoot a lot of sports. However last summer I drove by my local Community College and there was an autocross race going on in the parking lot. Apparently the regional Corvette clubs all pick a spot in the middle of their areas and set up a course. I was able to get some neat panning shots.

ha, that's awesome to happen upon. Those are some solid pans as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

DJExile posted:

ha, that's awesome to happen upon. Those are some solid pans as well!

Thanks, it was awesome because it being a private event there was no real crowd control other than a few cones blocking off the entrances to that section of the parking lot so I could get super close compared to most events. I was only there for 10 minutes as I was on my way to something else but they had it timed so one car started the track every 20-30 seconds so there was plenty of action but enough time between cars to tweak settings and get set for the next car. Way more interesting than shooting at a drag strip or a road rally with a longer course. Also the nature of autocross means you get to see the car bodies react from acceleration, braking and swerving.

I found a listing of the clubs that were there and tried to reach out on FB and shoot them a few pics but never heard back from any of them. :(

I dug up the link to the midwest regional club schedule. The schedule is packed. Might be worth finding the club for your region if any goons are interested and not from the midwest.

https://www.mwregion.com/schedule.html

With prior notice and a bit of marketing you might be able to make some decent cash shooting one. Most Corvette owners club members I have met generally have disposable income and a corner of their garage full of trophies and pictures of their car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hunt around on google for regional race tracks, they have events running every weekend in the summer and you can probably get your fill of panning shots whenever you want. As an added bonus they will have less safety features than the big tracks (makes it easier to get good angles) and more appealing backgrounds. Don't neglect motorcycles either, guarantee there's motocross tracks to visit too.

As for making money, don't get your hopes up. Any decently sized event is going to have a dozen or more other photographers and probably a couple official event photographers to compete with so getting your foot in the door is tough. You're gonna have to network somehow (such as 24h lemons, they have a chat forum where you can post pictures and get some eyeballs) so drivers know you're out there. And prepared to get ignored, a lot.

I've been doing 1-3 races a year for a long time now just because I enjoy it, and not once has anyone walked up and asked if they can have a copy.

(though I have been asked to GTFO a couple times because they didn't want "professionals" at their private event. well then don't open the gates you doofs!)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hunt around on google for regional race tracks, they have events running every weekend in the summer and you can probably get your fill of panning shots whenever you want. As an added bonus they will have less safety features than the big tracks (makes it easier to get good angles) and more appealing backgrounds. Don't neglect motorcycles either, guarantee there's motocross tracks to visit too.

As for making money, don't get your hopes up. Any decently sized event is going to have a dozen or more other photographers and probably a couple official event photographers to compete with so getting your foot in the door is tough. You're gonna have to network somehow (such as 24h lemons, they have a chat forum where you can post pictures and get some eyeballs) so drivers know you're out there. And prepared to get ignored, a lot.

I've been doing 1-3 races a year for a long time now just because I enjoy it, and not once has anyone walked up and asked if they can have a copy.

(though I have been asked to GTFO a couple times because they didn't want "professionals" at their private event. well then don't open the gates you doofs!)

These events seem to be even lower rent than even goofy events like Lemons. I was the only guy with a camera and it was in a parking lot. I have shot actual events at tracks and I can see those being a much harder sell/saturated than a bunch of middle age dudes in a parking lot.

Most events at an actual course are a bit further away and boring. Here is one I took at Chicagoland speedway.

Obviously the easiest would be to setup one of those websites that uploads watermarked proofs and lets people buy the pics for $5 or $10 after the fact. Seems to be lucrative at Mulholland and Deals Gap. Then kick the address to the clubs facebook.

Maybe I will try it for science.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

With prior notice and a bit of marketing you might be able to make some decent cash shooting one.

That's the kind of shot you need to be able to pull off consistently to have any hope of sales. Middle aged guys in a parking lot actually are a harder sell - I know that from experience and hence why I don't bother and just do it for fun (plus I'm a motorsport nut). If you want to make money from motorsport you need access at big events - and believe me on this one, you need to be REALLY good to cover anything close to expenses.

I do a lot of paid Triathlon and mountain bike work and frankly I have never scored anything like that money from motorsport unless I've been hired by a team to specifically shoot their car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Some really crazy poo poo just happened to me and I want to share it with you all. Someone once said to "share the good news, keep the bad," and I feel like you all might like this.

I received an email from a prominent AP photographer who looked over my work. They have been AP for over 16 years and told me they liked it and how much I impressed them with my range and depth of sports. He said he would reach out to other AP photographers near me to see if I can help them and learn. He also said he might try to find some extra gear which would be incredible.

Regardless if they follow through or not, I am incredibly grateful for the time they gave me and the guidance they said they would continue to give. Now I know I can do this for a living. That was the final boost of confidence I needed.

That is thanks to everyone here. This is where my journey began, and through your constant feedback, I turned into a photographer. You explained why I was wrong, and despite my defensiveness, I listened. I apologize about my pigheadeness. You all gave me something to try the next game, new methods, techniques, or crops. This was the only place I feel like I got great feedback. So in a way, I feel like a professional critiqued our work, and liked it.

But wait, there's more!

I have been scheduled for a few more shoots. I will be now attempting hockey. I was invited to cover the San Diego Gulls, sister club to the Anaheim Ducks. Using the porthole is gonna get interesting.

But wait, still more!

San Diego Sockers Arena soccer now has international star Landon Donovan. I have shot professionals before, but this will be the first time we will have more interactions. The team is doing really good too.

And the final bit. I was also asked to possibly cover KISS in concert next week. Ive never shot a concert before.

I just might buy a lottery ticket.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Wow! Congrats dude! That's really good news. :)

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

That's cool as hell! Congratulations!

And concert photography is a whole lot of fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah, that's fantastic news :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your meteoric rise to the ranks of paid photographer is the stuff of legend. Post a petapixel article about how to do it and make millions.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks everyone! Like I said, no way I could have done this without ya'll

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Your meteoric rise to the ranks of paid photographer is the stuff of legend. Post a petapixel article about how to do it and make millions for PetaPixel.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

DJExile posted:

For the portals though you're going to be kneeling or squatting an absolute ton. A pair of contractors gel knee pads from any hardware store can be a godsend.

I got some bruises on my knees the first couple times I took handball photos since I spent so much time on my knees, and then I remembered what I was shooting and that knee pads were rather prominent in most photos. So I thought about buying some, but my knees got used to it after some more games and I can reasonably shoot an entire game without suffering any pain now.

Which leads up to today, when I was asked to shoot a handball tournament across 8 arenas lasting the entire day and my knees are bruised all to hell now. Just one day left and then I'm going out to buy knee pads on monday.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I think I got a bit closer this time?

But, for the 2nd and 3rd photos. Should I have cropped out the other people and only focus on the players that are in focus/have the ball? Or is it ok as it is?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grimson posted:

I think I got a bit closer this time?

But, for the 2nd and 3rd photos. Should I have cropped out the other people and only focus on the players that are in focus/have the ball? Or is it ok as it is?

Yeah crop them in. 3rd one is just a missed shot unless you intended to shoot the two players on the right, in which case I'd just crop it to them, but that's not going to make an interesting photo. The action on the whole is good but keep the crops tight to help keep the viewer's eye only on the subjects you want. "Two faces and a ball" is the rule of thumb for good reason.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Finally got a chance to shoot some more.

My mentor told me to go for some different shots, less shutter speed and more zoom. Hope it worked. Shooting basketball at 500 fps is way different.

album: https://imgur.com/a/lRIimwO

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Biggest event I've ever shot tonight. Landon Donovan's debut home game
9k sized crowd

album: https://imgur.com/a/RAEtEXN

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Another exciting sold out game.

album:https://imgur.com/a/KYtjxXu

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

This was the 86th sporting event I have shot for my school, it sure doesn't feel like it.

album: https://imgur.com/a/RcOGtoA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Senior Day. This means a lot more photos. 50+ typically. Here's a few instead:

album: https://imgur.com/a/MCeBXtp

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did some work last night. We decimated the other team. First 2 goals happened within the first 30 seconds of the match.

album:https://imgur.com/a/lvNaGjA

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
So I did some hockey. This is my first attempt in many years, and the plexiglas was rather messy.

Vålerenga Hockey - Stavanger Oilers (1-6), 26.02.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Vålerenga Hockey - Stavanger Oilers (1-6), 26.02.2019 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

And a bonus split lip:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

So I did some hockey. This is my first attempt in many years, and the plexiglas was rather messy.

fffffffffffffffffffffff

Congrats on the title.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Did some more work today

album:https://imgur.com/a/pTj1w9V

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're good shots in tough conditions but i'm not sure anything in the 3rd shot is in focus.

azathosk posted:

This is a nice moment but there's no faces, and yeah glass is gonna be tough to deal with. Get your lens right up on it to get as much glare and scuffs out of the shot as you can. The shot from behind the goal can be ditched, there's almost no faces and a lot of empty space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another magic keyword is a rubber lens hood. Won't fix the problem of the glass refracting the image but you can kill off the glare it creates by mushing what's basically a toilet plunger against the glass.

Never used one myself but if I got into shooting hockey I'd definitely try it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Another magic keyword is a rubber lens hood. Won't fix the problem of the glass refracting the image but you can kill off the glare it creates by mushing what's basically a toilet plunger against the glass.

Never used one myself but if I got into shooting hockey I'd definitely try it.

Oh yeah these are amazing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DJExile posted:

They're good shots in tough conditions but i'm not sure anything in the 3rd shot is in focus.

On second look, you are correct. I thought I got enough in the faces but when you zoom in, you see I missed focus.

I definitely processed my photos way faster than I normally do, so it probably is due to that. I wasnt as careful.

Thanks!

Those little camping stools save your legs for those viewports. Easiest 15 bucks to spend. Then again I have leg and back problems.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Big scoring game tonight. Also feisty.

Album:https://imgur.com/a/PdJkn3F

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Last women's handball game of the season. Got two more mens games left and then the football season starts up and becomes the only game in town.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

How high are you dragging the noise reduction slider if you're using lightroom? That last shot in particular has a certain, shine, to it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Grimson posted:

How high are you dragging the noise reduction slider if you're using lightroom? That last shot in particular has a certain, shine, to it.

I use LR5 and it depends on the venue to be honest. This venue is actually the worst lit one besides my university's football field.

ISO 3200 NR was masked at 70 which is around halfway. I think. I try to make it so it's not a blurry mess but also not pixilated to poo poo. The masking helps keep the in focus stuff sharp but this photo has the wrong stuff in focus. The uniform and not the faces. Maybe that's why? I didnt do anything particuarly different this time.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Soulex posted:

I use LR5 and it depends on the venue to be honest. This venue is actually the worst lit one besides my university's football field.

ISO 3200 NR was masked at 70 which is around halfway. I think. I try to make it so it's not a blurry mess but also not pixilated to poo poo. The masking helps keep the in focus stuff sharp but this photo has the wrong stuff in focus. The uniform and not the faces. Maybe that's why? I didnt do anything particuarly different this time.

That might be it yeah. It's way more noticeable on the arena football shots. Having a quick scroll through the thread I only see it in those posts, while the basketball ones look just fine. Like these two might be a bit too much.

Soulex posted:

Did some work last night. We decimated the other team. First 2 goals happened within the first 30 seconds of the match.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I can definitely tone it down. Thanks for the feedback!

I hope that Ill eventually get a chance to buy a better camera body to help with ISO. And FPS.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I just bought Photo Mechanic. That will make working with RAW a bit easier...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got to shoot lacrosse for the first time today. Please also let me know if there is still an issue with NR.

album:https://imgur.com/a/isWk87f

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
First women's match of the season:

Vålerenga Fotball - Stabæk 24.03.2018 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

I got to shoot lacrosse for the first time today. Please also let me know if there is still an issue with NR.

Oh lord, box... like hockey but even worse lighting. You're going to have your hands full here. Max the gently caress out of your ISO, you'll need 1/400 speed bare minimum, and much more likely 1/500 at the very least. If you're not able to shoot through one of the portals in the glass (which they may not allow because holy hell a lacrosse ball goes everywhere and will gently caress you up) then you'll need to get right up against the glass to cut out the glares and reflections, and you're going to lose even more light because of it.

Short version: Best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

azathosk posted:

First women's match of the season:

These are all great. What's your routine for moving around the pitch during a game? Do you stick to VIFs attacking side since you're shooting for them or do you roam around a bit?