Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like, it's not generally held as controversial that the fear of sexual violence is a primal fear, and that's the #1 button Alien keeps hammering on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Prometheus 4k digital code(FoxRedeem.com)

4FKE8NW5LV7EK4Q1

It says "may not be valid after 2019, so I assume that means it's still good, but I'm not sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Basebf555 posted:

Prometheus 4k digital code(FoxRedeem.com)

4FKE8NW5LV7EK4Q1

It says "may not be valid after 2019, so I assume that means it's still good, but I'm not sure.

Tried to claim, but it’s US store only :(

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

K. Waste posted:

What fandom responds to about the xenomorph has nothing to do with primal fear, it's commodity fetishism.
see also: xeno OCs, and more broadly, monsterfuckers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

This strikes me as a lack of imagination if nothing else

I mean, what really can you do with the Alien that isn't just going to be rehashing the "Slasher but in Space" formula set up by the original film?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

I mean, what really can you do with the Alien that isn't just going to be rehashing the "Slasher but in Space" formula set up by the original film?
I've harped on this a hojillion times but I'm going to keep doing it until FOX (or now Disney) makes a movie of it (:suicide: ), but have you read 'Aliens: Labyrinth'? It goes to some pretty dark and loving crazy places, and plays up the Alien body-horror a lot in novel ways.

It also happens to have one of the most memorable human villains in the EU, and takes a lot of "gothic mad scientist" tropes and flips the script on them. It also starts going head-long down the "explain the Alien and make it less scary" path... and then goes "lol nope" and throws it all out the window.
Also the artwork is great - it portrays the Aliens as these spindly, impossibly-skinny humanoids but they're terrifyingly strong. They're drawn in such a way that a human in a suit couldn't portray them, and it adds a lot towards making them "alien".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's kind of inherently loving scary, is my point. Like, the Xenomorph has only lost fear value because they stopped leaning into this stuff and just started treating it as a weird bug.

What you attribute to a loss of essence is actually just the fact that there never was such an essence. Before we even get into those films not made by Ridley Scott, there are substantial differences between the alien forms of Kane, Oram, and Lope. There is no singular ‘xenomorph’.

Like, there are not only differences between those creatures as characters, but between the characters they interact with. Covenant is told largely/entirely from the perspective of Walter, a character literally without fear who views the xenomorphs dispassionately as a means to the end of ‘helping’ Daniels.

That’s to say that the creatures have always been weird bugs, but Alien 1 is uniquely about the weird bug resurrected and deployed by Mother the supercomputer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alien vs Predator was almost a Genesis game.

A Genesis football game:

https://news.avclub.com/the-alien-v...tm_content=Main

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

I've harped on this a hojillion times

No kidding.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hey man it’s a good comic and it would make a good movie <:mad:>

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Saw the theatrical re-releases of alien/aliens this weekend and my hot take is galaxy brain has it right on aliens

Alien is beautiful, tho

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Why do you people want alien movies to have aliens?

The first 3 (1 and 2, especially) were always mainly about The Company with androids, middle management, and a looming menace of men in weird suits representing it. Its fitting that the Prometheus films center around the creator of the Company's "firstborn" creation, and hes also the most interesting part of the movies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I've harped on this a hojillion times but I'm going to keep doing it until FOX (or now Disney) makes a movie of it (:suicide: ), but have you read 'Aliens: Labyrinth'? It goes to some pretty dark and loving crazy places, and plays up the Alien body-horror a lot in novel ways.

quote:

“Look at it, Crespi. Does your heart know this monster? Do you see the desperate fear of your fathers in its blind destroyer’s head?”

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Does anyone have any novel recommendations for some like me who likes the stranded on a spaceship, grimy feel of Alien but doesn't want to read genre tie in fiction?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think Scott's right that you can't do anything new with the Xenomorph, but the Xenomorph plays on a lot of primal fears that don't really go away with overuse, so rehashing the old tricks to a different end is more workable than you'd figure.

Do what Jenette Goldstein thought Aliens was going to be about : the struggles of Xenomorph immigrants.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gnome de plume posted:

Do what Jenette Goldstein thought Aliens was going to be about : the struggles of Xenomorph immigrants.

It turns out we've had Blomkamp's alien film the whole time.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Preston Waters posted:

Watching AvP Requiem, and like a high school boy, I was trying to remember if there was any nudity in it. Then I realized the transfer is so loving terrible you couldn't see anything anyway so who gives a poo poo.

The female love interest getting smoked was bold. Not typical even for mainstream horror films.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lmao I just remembered that the OG PC Alien vs Predator game featured “xenoborgs” which were alien cyborgs with laser guns strapped to their hands.

Weyland Yutani: We’ll Keep Doing This poo poo Until Someone Makes Us Stop

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

It also happens to have one of the most memorable human villains in the EU, and takes a lot of "gothic mad scientist" tropes and flips the script on them. It also starts going head-long down the "explain the Alien and make it less scary" path... and then goes "lol nope" and throws it all out the window.
Also the artwork is great - it portrays the Aliens as these spindly, impossibly-skinny humanoids but they're terrifyingly strong. They're drawn in such a way that a human in a suit couldn't portray them, and it adds a lot towards making them "alien".

I don't read comics....but you got me strangely interested in this 'Aliens: Labyrinth'. I was extremely surprised that I easily found it online. Just finished the second volume. Interesting stuff. It does seem like something that would translate well to film.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Aliens-Labyrinth

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't read comics....but you got me strangely interested in this 'Aliens: Labyrinth'. I was extremely surprised that I easily found it online. Just finished the second volume. Interesting stuff. It does seem like something that would translate well to film.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Aliens-Labyrinth

When you say “volume” I’m taking it you mean “issue”. If you haven’t read issue 3 yet... buckle up. :stonk:

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

When you say “volume” I’m taking it you mean “issue”. If you haven’t read issue 3 yet... buckle up. :stonk:

Right....I meant issue. And yeah....I just finished them up. If they left the film true to the comic....it would be a bit of a disappointment to know all that happens. But boy.....it would be a crazy movie.....in a good way. Not to mention horribly graphic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

lmao I just remembered that the OG PC Alien vs Predator game featured “xenoborgs” which were alien cyborgs with laser guns strapped to their hands.

Weyland Yutani: We’ll Keep Doing This poo poo Until Someone Makes Us Stop

One of the most "actually, this is a video game" moments in all of video games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrWsqVlR0j0

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Neo Rasa posted:

Topped only by the Warchowski siblings stopping the game and breaking the fourth wall to say "actually we ended the Matrix movies with some philosophical mumbo jumbo ending where Neo dies, but that doesn't make for a good boss fight so here fight a ten-story kaiju agent smith."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Right....I meant issue. And yeah....I just finished them up. If they left the film true to the comic....it would be a bit of a disappointment to know all that happens. But boy.....it would be a crazy movie.....in a good way. Not to mention horribly graphic.

I’d be real okay knowing what’s coming, because I know 99% of the audience would have no idea, haha.

I love the ending, it’s got some real winners.

“Go to hell!”
“Been there.”

“I just wanted you to know... none of this is personal.” :shobon:

Also I don’t know if the digital version you read included the two-part prequel “Backsplash”, it’s written and drawn by the same team and it shows a weapons test that goes horribly wrong that Crespi was present for. It’s a hell of a ride.

Neo Rasa posted:

There’s other fun things you can do with the Xenoborgs - you come across one in the Predator campaign and you can use the speargun to shoot off pieces of it with precision. If you snipe off the arms but leave everything else intact, it’ll wake up and stare at you but can’t shoot you. Alternately, if you shoot off its targeting laser, it’ll go berserk and just fire blindly until you kill it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

I’d be real okay knowing what’s coming, because I know 99% of the audience would have no idea, haha.

I love the ending, it’s got some real winners.

“Go to hell!”
“Been there.”

“I just wanted you to know... none of this is personal.” :shobon:

Also I don’t know if the digital version you read included the two-part prequel “Backsplash”, it’s written and drawn by the same team and it shows a weapons test that goes horribly wrong that Crespi was present for. It’s a hell of a ride.

I read about 'Backsplash' in the comments. I could probably find it on the internet.

I wouldn't suppose that it goes into what happened with Lennox?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've never read Labyrinth but after the first two issues it makes me think the Brad Dourif character in Resurrection must've been at least somewhat inspired by the head doctor in Labyrinth.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Alien movies center around a creature whose life cycle consists of: horrible hell-spider that face-rapes people -> weird worm-thing that chews its way through your abdomen, making you die horribly -> giant carnivorous penis.

That's kind of inherently loving scary, is my point. Like, the Xenomorph has only lost fear value because they stopped leaning into this stuff and just started treating it as a weird bug.

What you're describing with the alien's life cycle is that of a predatory wasp. The xenomorph was always "a weird bug," and its insectoid qualities are just one of various schema that H.R. Giger exploited in his design of the creature. But there is nothing inherently scary about this. Again, it becomes scary because of an overall aesthetic context. Someone like James Cameron can go even further in characterizing the xenomorph as an insect with a social hierarchy based around a hive, grounding the creature even further in rather mundane observations of how an alien species could exist and function in a straightforward manner, and it can still be very effective within an overall narrative.

The xenomorph did not lose inherent fear value. What was inherent was the novelty of its overall design and presentation at a time when the schematic points of reference that spectators brought to a film were not adjusted to them. These initial novel designs remain relatively effective in inspiring anxiety and horror because of their overall, relatively exceptional aesthetic context. But the novelty itself always goes away - the alien becomes incorporated into the broad schema that determines how we understand and relate to spectacle, and so suddenly the affinity for the franchise among the fandom no longer has anything to do with "inherent" scariness, but with a sense of coy identification with the monster as this comforting, consistent mascot of their own consumption. The xenomorph becomes a puppy dog - people think it's cute.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like, it's not generally held as controversial that the fear of sexual violence is a primal fear, and that's the #1 button Alien keeps hammering on.

Fear of sexual violence is not a primal fear. It's a fear born out of a specific sociological context, attendant to developing conceptions of "healthy" sexuality, gender roles, and the hegemonic forces that structure them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Considering Disney might put a hold on Alien for a while since Covenant performed poorly and horror isn't Disney's unless its through Miramax, what is the modern Alien? What series is the Alien of the modern day?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Covok posted:

Considering Disney might put a hold on Alien for a while since Covenant performed poorly and horror isn't Disney's unless its through Miramax, what is the modern Alien? What series is the Alien of the modern day?

What would that even mean

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guardians of the Galaxy/Star Trek09 were the closest things to a Star Wars before it returned. What is the Alien equivalent of that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

GotG is closer to being A Solo Story, not a starwars movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That "Life" movie that I didn't bother seeing from a few years back looked like a crack at a Big Studio Mass Appeal Alien.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Covok posted:

Considering Disney might put a hold on Alien for a while since Covenant performed poorly and horror isn't Disney's unless its through Miramax

Disney hasn't had the Miramax label for almost a decade.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Other kind of Disney movie. Think Alien Queen, think Frozen.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Owlbear Camus posted:

That "Life" movie that I didn't bother seeing from a few years back looked like a crack at a Big Studio Mass Appeal Alien.

Somebody joked that it was a stealth Venom prequel, but I forget how they effort posted about it where it halfway made sense.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Eyyy, I love comics and everything, but I'm pretty sure linking to blatantly pirated sites is still frowned upon, and might still be grounds for probation? Just a word of precaution.

As for Labyrinth, I love Kilian Plunkett's artwork, but I'm pretty bummed that he seems to just be doing pretty much Star Wars related stuff nowadays. I'd love to see a creator-owned project from the guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Timby posted:

Disney hasn't had the Miramax label for almost a decade.

I didn't know that. So what does Disney call it when they do a movie that's not aimed at children? That was the whole point of Miramax, protecting the Disney reputation from entertainment aimed at an older audience.

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy/Star Trek09 were the closest things to a Star Wars before it returned. What is the Alien equivalent of that.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to say.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Covok posted:

Aren’t there two TV series in the works?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Slutitution posted:

I completely agree with your point. Scott is 100% correct when he said the xeno was cooked. The four original films and the two AVP films have done pretty much every "scary" thing the xeno could do. Even if a skilled director could make the xeno scary again, it's just going to be a rehash of what came before.

Prometheus was great because it showed how Scott wasn't interested in soft-reboot crap like everyone else in Hollywood seemingly is (those terrible Jurassic World films *shudders*). The entire film goes without a single xenomorph and he didn't dig up geriatric Sigourney Weaver from the crypt. It was great.

So then Fox freaked out over loud Blomkamp fans on the internet clamoring for Aliens: Part II and decided that the xeno must appear in the Prometheus sequel. The way Scott completely sidelined the xeno in favor of the neomorphs and David was genius. The xeno was just a tool in what is David's movie. Both films also have Scott's iconic visuals and designs. Covenant is also notable for its misanthropic tone - I really do believe this was Scott's way of showing how much he despises so many aspects of humanity, and understandably so. The film is full of art references dealing with the end of humanity, existential questions, and statements. David even says "they are a dying species, they don't deserve to start again and I'm not going to let them." It even ends with David "winning" leaving the audience to imagine the type of crazy poo poo he's going to do to the protagonists. These type of films are pretty loving rare in Hollywood these days.

Actually Scott just wanted to make a generic Alien movie and the only reason Prometheus was different was because studio execs told him to add new creatures and do something fresh. If the studio hadn't stepped in and instead let Scott make what he wanted to it would have been even worse because he had nothing, just a sense of entitlement regarding ownership of the franchise that he wanted to try and reclaim. The trilobite is an example of the studio telling Scott to be creative because they thought the xeno was cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

SUNKOS posted:

Actually Scott just wanted to make a generic Alien movie and the only reason Prometheus was different was because studio execs told him to add new creatures and do something fresh. If the studio hadn't stepped in and instead let Scott make what he wanted to it would have been even worse because he had nothing, just a sense of entitlement regarding ownership of the franchise that he wanted to try and reclaim. The trilobite is an example of the studio telling Scott to be creative because they thought the xeno was cooked.

None of this is true - quite the opposite, actually. Watch the Prometheus Furious Gods documentary on the BluRay. I know iTunes has it.