Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That's a draw, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I do not know how to process that

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Lol

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GET hosed YOU SCOTTISH FUCKS

We'll hold onto that cup for you shitheads.

Tell Eddie to kiss our asses.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Good game that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is Scotlanding. Managing to find out how to not win in the most stressful way possible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress's sake, Scotland.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Is this the first double-Scotlanding?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Who gives a gently caress about the final score, Scotland won that, Christ almighty. That half.

And a wales grand slam, England so cocky going in, ahhhhh the sweet sweet victory

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Communist Bear posted:

:salt:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That was 31-7 in the first half, 7-31 in the second half?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was still great from Scotland, England were out of sight at half time but Scotland didn't know they were beaten.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

gently caress sake scotland

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I’m actually ecstatic Scotland didn’t win

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

31 nil down,
38 each;
that's how scotland won the cup!

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Communist Bear posted:

lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that was like in space jam where the players suddenly lose all their abilities and passed them to the cartoon characters for the comeback

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Not banking on the performances of the northern hemisphere teams in the world cup

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I am looking forward to seeing a brand of rugby heretofore unseen by rugby fans anywhere...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not even Scotland's first team. Scotland are the powerhouse of European rugby.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
World Cup Odds Right Now

New Zealand : 6/5
Wales : 7/1
Ireland : 7/1
England : 7/1
South Africa : 8/1
Australia : 16/1
Scotland : 22/1
Argentina : 33/1
France : 33/1
USA : 500/1
Italy : 500/1

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

oh no computer posted:

Not banking on the performances of the northern hemisphere teams in the world cup

The big threats from the NH were supposed to be England and Ireland, but it's like they're wilting as they get closer to the tournament.

England under Eddie would've brought some degree of fear and the expectation to win in the first couple of years of his tenure, but after last year's tournament, it's like it evaporated away. Even when they are in a position to win, like against the All Blacks last year, where they played against an ABs team that just didn't seem to be mentally all there, they still got tripped up, and when it came to the big games, they've failed to deliver.

Ireland, I think, have struggled with the spotlight and true expectation of a win placed on them. They definitely turned a corner in 2016 when they finally got that elusive win against the All Blacks in Chicago, but they've been scrutinised and analysed to death by the other teams and just don't seem to be coping with the pressure that comes with the expectation of a win at all.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

The big threats from the NH were supposed to be England and Ireland, but it's like they're wilting as they get closer to the tournament.

England under Eddie would've brought some degree of fear and the expectation to win in the first couple of years of his tenure, but after last year's tournament, it's like it evaporated away. Even when they are in a position to win, like against the All Blacks last year, where they played against an ABs team that just didn't seem to be mentally all there, they still got tripped up, and when it came to the big games, they've failed to deliver.

Ireland, I think, have struggled with the spotlight and true expectation of a win placed on them. They definitely turned a corner in 2016 when they finally got that elusive win against the All Blacks in Chicago, but they've been scrutinised and analysed to death by the other teams and just don't seem to be coping with the pressure that comes with the expectation of a win at all.

England aren't going to win it because of what was blatantly shown here - that Eddie only has one tactic and as soon as that tactic fails because the opposition counters it, they fall flat on their face.

Ireland aren't going to win because they need the conditions to be just right so that they can play the game their own way. If they don't have those conditions then they're not able to respond as well.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vagabundo posted:

They both have very soft groups for Pool Stages, and unless there are any massive upsets, the projected knockout stages are :

-

England
Australia

New Zealand
Scotland / Japan

Wales
France / Argentina

Ireland
South Africa

-

England would have a loving ROUGH path to the finals, only to end up playing one of two teams that they regularly lose to.

Ireland (or Wales) are set up for a really nice run, where they can waltz through the group stages, rest their players for two matches, and then have to beat South Africa, before facing The Last Boss, New Zealand.

If England bottle it at any point, then New Zealand have the easiest World Cup run in their history.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

England aren't going to win it because of what was blatantly shown here - that Eddie only has one tactic and as soon as that tactic fails because the opposition counters it, they fall flat on their face.

Ireland aren't going to win because they need the conditions to be just right so that they can play the game their own way. If they don't have those conditions then they're not able to respond as well.

I think this is hard to heap all on Eddie. The players on the pitch are not making decisions. They're executing plan A to the exclusion of everything else, they need to be more adaptable.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I think this is hard to heap all on Eddie. The players on the pitch are not making decisions. They're executing plan A to the exclusion of everything else, they need to be more adaptable.

No! I hate that shithead.

I get your point though. :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If Hogg had been full back would England have scored that last try?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

If Hogg had been full back would England have scored that last try?

I think them scoring was always on the doors after we gave away that penalty at halfway. It was repeated penalty advantage and I think someone was on the way to the bin if they hadn't scored. But that specific try maybe not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I think them scoring was always on the doors after we gave away that penalty at halfway. It was repeated penalty advantage and I think someone was on the way to the bin if they hadn't scored. But that specific try maybe not.

Should have let them score in the corner, make the conversion harder?

I'm thrilled for Scotland about the result, best comeback ever. 31-0 to 38-31 at one point. Amazing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

So now the crusaders have to change their name?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Should have let them score in the corner, make the conversion harder?

I'm thrilled for Scotland about the result, best comeback ever. 31-0 to 38-31 at one point. Amazing.

When Nowell went into the corner that was what I was thinking really, just hope they miss the kick. With continued penalty advantage its very hard to stop the score eventually

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

So now the crusaders have to change their name?

They probably want to tone down the imagery a bit at least.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Franno extremely not mad.

Not mad Franno posted:

Our friends in the southern hemisphere will look on in a state of puzzlement. How can you win something without actually creating anything? I don't think the Welsh will care. The English have been by far the most creative and imaginative side in the competition and it is they who will go to the World Cup in the autumn as the northern hemisphere's standard bearers.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

He’s not wrong.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

He’s not wrong.

I don't see why anyone would worry about England when they got beaten by such an uncreative side.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

After being turbofucked for 50 minutes by a third choice Scotland side that should have been comprehensively hammered at Twickenham, I don't think anyone will be looking to England for anything.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_T1SVmpVRI

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

That man is a national treasure.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
So the Blues (Auckland version) not only won their second match in a row but their first match against another New Zealand super rugby side since, I believe, 2016. Not saying they are going to win the competition this year (because they aren't) or even suggesting that they are making the playoffs but this is a big improvement over their past seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Helped by having a ref control the game like he hadn't decided on the outcome before kick-off.

The Blues didn't always help themselves, but plenty of the reffing they encountered during that dry spell was absolutely unacceptable by any standard.