Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Chaiki's Reason is brought about by her valuing her high status, and now that it's been ripped away from her, she becomes obsessed with getting it back, and paranoid that people are taking what's "rightfully" hers. Her just wanting things to go back to her comfortable rich life so badly that she gets a tree arm honestly makes sense to me

Isamu's Reason just seems kind of born of loneliness and dissatisfaction, extremely normal themes out of a teenager. When your life isn't perfect, and adulthood is looming in front of you, everyone just loving off into their own happy place sounds pretty great. I think there's probably way less in the game to paint this picture of Isamu, it's been too long for me to remember, but I like the idea at least. I don't remember Isamu being a bad dude really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Listen, don't give me an optional dungeon and all the cool bosses and then lock me into an ending when I go kick its rear end and then maybe I'll get a chance to explore my other options. Looking at YOU, Nocturne.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you wanna do both the labyrinth and get a non-TDE end all you have to do is not talk to Lucifer after you beat Metatron

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saagonsa posted:

If you wanna do both the labyrinth and get a non-TDE end all you have to do is not talk to Lucifer after you beat Metatron

I dunno, locking the game's one superboss behind one specific ending that also requires you to go through the entire optional dungeon is such a "this is the correct ending" flag that I can't imagine that anyone would get that far and say "you know what the ending where everyone gets to be alone sounds cool, goodbye The Devil"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

(I wouldn't actually consider any of the other endings even if I could. The complete table flip of TDE is just too good.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

(I wouldn't actually consider any of the other endings even if I could. The complete table flip of TDE is just too good.)

I really see it as the "original" White Ending. Everyone is trapped in YHVH's vicious cycle and this is probably embodied most by Hijiri. So the only answer is to just kill everyone and be free at last.

Although the writers of Nocturne clearly favor TDE while the writers of IV, despite their being awesome enough to include that ending, clearly think it's wrong.

Cleretic posted:

I kind of got the idea that being in the Vortex World twisted Isamu and Chiaki's minds--either directly or just as a natural consequence of being the only humans left in a world full of demons--thus explaining why their Reasons, or at least their articulation of them, are pretty unhinged. Hikawa has no excuse, though.

I could actually see that working for Nocturne, honestly; I think what you'd actually have to rewrite is Yuko/Aradia and the Freedom Ending. Basically every ending to Nocturne except for that one is awful, but I think you could make something appealing if you leaned into that, made every ending a bad ending, and see how people handle it.

If every ending was clearly flawed, that be appreciated. People can usually sense or tell what ending the creators favor and naturally gravitate towards it. The inclusion of TDE and Freedom kinda screws that up. If all you had were the Reasons, that be ideal. Then people could endlessly debate which is least bad and honestly that shows what a person values most I think.

And I think the fact Neutral kicks the can down the road is the entire point. People look at the genocide and brainwashing in Law or Chaos endings and are like "oh no!" But in Neutral, all that death will still be happening. It just won't be happening now so people feel less guilty. The problem is Neutral is Humanity gently caress Yeah and humans will never be without war or starvation or other problems. I figure that's what Neutral represents from a thematic perspective.

There's also the original Blood Omen where sitting on a throne, drinking blood and damning the world turns out to be the right choice.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm mixed about it.

Personally I like that Law isn't always the "good" ending - the first I played an SMT game I went straight for Law and that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think wait... this isn't what I wanted to see was pretty great and upended what you'd see in a lot of other games.

But at the same time, the game pushing you towards a specific Philosophy and making the other ones bad endings is basically saying "Here is what you should believe"

Either way I don't think SMT games do a particularly amazing job at handling this by endgame, they always kind of turn into "Well I guess you made everyone a slave/ Well I guess you are killing puppies". I remember Witcher 3 got a load of praise for handling choices a bit differently but in the end a LOT of those boiled down to well I guess here are 2 lovely things, which one do you personally think is less lovely

Strange journey redux is awesome in this way as the plus endings are you directly addressing the extremist factions in the original ending in order to give you a pretty good ending that doesn't involve genocide or brainwashing (and neutral plus has it a little bit but it's def not as happy an ending)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

And I think the fact Neutral kicks the can down the road is the entire point. People look at the genocide and brainwashing in Law or Chaos endings and are like "oh no!" But in Neutral, all that death will still be happening. It just won't be happening now so people feel less guilty. The problem is Neutral is Humanity gently caress Yeah and humans will never be without war or starvation or other problems. I figure that's what Neutral represents from a thematic perspective.

This is absolutely how Neutral is generally taken; you're only bringing things back to the pre-game status quo, with at best some vague discussion about how maybe things can change now that we know the consequences. IV's a bit different in that regard just because of circumstances, but it's the exception there.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed or denied, but I liked the notion that SMTIV takes place after Strange Journey's Neutral ending, and that the Schwartzwelt survivors took that undertaking seriously enough to become the 'Country A' mentioned in IV as the source of the Demonicas. But maybe that's just because I like the idea of us seeing someone who's done this all before, to drive home that Neutral's approach really is just staving off the inevitable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The arguments against Law and Chaos, especially Law, tend to center on arguments about coercion and autonomy. "Sure people are happy and peaceful but they aren't free so what does it matter?" This argument never really flew with me because it seemed to me Neutral violates peoples' freedom, too. Who are you to kill their gods? SMTIVA is all about how tons of people sided with Merkabah and Lucifer. Where is their autonomy in your Neutral world?

But then somebody pointed out that YHVH and Lucifer are eternal beings precisely because people want them both and Neutral is the only route where people are still allowed to think and act as they see fit. This ensures the war between angels and demons will continue indefinitely, though.One of the more n interesting discussion in the first Devil Survivor game was Naoya asking me if I thought humans were more like gods or demons. I said demons as I tend to be rather Hobbesian about how I think people would act if given no restraints. Or too many restraints. Can't get more Chaotic than that. But Naoya disagreed, claiming he had observed masses of humans and deemed them a mix of both, and I guess the respawning of YHVH and Lucifer proves him right. Human...ambiguity and "vagueness" to use his term are endlessly frustrating to both him and me.

I told Lucifer I want "a sublime world without ambiguity" and he applauded my efforts. Law and Chaos want to stamp out the other because they know if humans are left to their own devices, they will stray to the opposite path. I think Blasted Akira yearning for Chaos and Infernal Akira yearning for Law are meant to show this.

The result is that Neutral kinda defeats itself in a way. It perpetuates Law and Chaos both. All well and good in theory but "theory" has deep repercussions in the SMT world where ideas create beings who destroy universes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, I used to be hardcore Law when I got into the franchise with SJ and then Nocturne. But Hikawa is really the least charismatic and convincing Law proponent of all time. He actively persuaded me out of agreeing with him.

The problem with the Reasons is all their spokespeople suck. An idea is only as good as the person who pitches it. The underlying ideology can be as grand as intriguing as you want it to be but if you don't have somebody good at selling it, no one will buy. Whether SMTV goes with usual alignments or Reasons or something totally new, I hope they are expounded by awesome and memorable characters.

Also I imagine a lot of people here would say that's Capitalism.jpg.

Hikawa's version of 'law' is the only time law sounded like an actual coherent ideology instead of just a bunch of dumb robots going "YOU SHOULD WORSHIP YHVH AND SUBMIT TO HIS WILL BECAUSE.....I MEAN HE'S GOD SO IT JUST MAKES SENSE YOU KNOW?"

Every Law ending that isn't in nocture or SJ Redux is just the escape of the weak of mind because they couldn't be assed to live their own existence and give it up to a slightly higher power. They're always utterly pathetic and weak and go apeshit when you step out of line a little bit. At least the chaos forces usually go "Well gently caress, we lost but hey you're pretty tough so that's cool."

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The White use those same arguments when they try to get you to just wipe out everything and then in Apocalypse you learn how pointless and futile it is to even try to achieve their nihilistic wet dream

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HerraS posted:

The White use those same arguments when they try to get you to just wipe out everything and then in Apocalypse you learn how pointless and futile it is to even try to achieve their nihilistic wet dream

I mean it's not a good ideology but it's at least something compared to the usual LAW schoolmarm coming up and trying to get you to give up free will for lent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hikawa's version of 'law' is the only time law sounded like an actual coherent ideology instead of just a bunch of dumb robots going "YOU SHOULD WORSHIP YHVH AND SUBMIT TO HIS WILL BECAUSE.....I MEAN HE'S GOD SO IT JUST MAKES SENSE YOU KNOW?"

Every Law ending that isn't in nocture or SJ Redux is just the escape of the weak of mind because they couldn't be assed to live their own existence and give it up to a slightly higher power. They're always utterly pathetic and weak and go apeshit when you step out of line a little bit. At least the chaos forces usually go "Well gently caress, we lost but hey you're pretty tough so that's cool."

i said earlier I relate to Zelenin because she's a person who just wants somebody to tell her it's okay; to keep her safe and give her life meaning. I think a lot of people are like that, maybe even most. Not everyone wants to stand on their own, even if they could. The appeal of Law is the freedom to give up your freedom and people have done that since forever. When you think about it, freedom is more terrifying than almost anything in the world.

Even Chaos isn't real freedom it's still putting you in a hierarchy, it's just a hierarchy of constant flux. Dagda recognized that, I think. You still define yourself in relation to others and gain validation from them, it's just by beating them instead of bowing to them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

i said earlier I relate to Zelenin because she's a person who just wants somebody to tell her it's okay; to keep her safe and give her life meaning. I think a lot of people are like that, maybe even most. Not everyone wants to stand on their own, even if they could. The appeal of Law is the freedom to give up your freedom and people have done that since forever. When you think about it, freedom is more terrifying than almost anything in the world.

Zenelin's break down leads her to become a literal statue who's entire existence is an object that exists to be the middle man to a grander power that no one can actually communicate or form connection to. It's a motivation to de-personalize herself and forcefully do it to everyone around her regardless of their wishes. Chaos is also just as stupid in other ways but seeing what Zelenin does when she arrives at the conclusion of "I am weak and need help" makes he just as monstrous as "Kill Em All 1996" Jiminez.

Her being afraid and wanting help is relatable, just like Jiminez's anger at the cruelty of those in power, it's that second step they do that makes it immediately "Oh you've lost your loving mind."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, I used to be hardcore Law when I got into the franchise with SJ and then Nocturne. But Hikawa is really the least charismatic and convincing Law proponent of all time. He actively persuaded me out of agreeing with him.

The haircut alone makes me not understand how ANYONE wanted to work for/with the drat dude.

Expect My Mom posted:

Chaiki's Reason is brought about by her valuing her high status, and now that it's been ripped away from her, she becomes obsessed with getting it back, and paranoid that people are taking what's "rightfully" hers. Her just wanting things to go back to her comfortable rich life so badly that she gets a tree arm honestly makes sense to me

Isamu's Reason just seems kind of born of loneliness and dissatisfaction, extremely normal themes out of a teenager. When your life isn't perfect, and adulthood is looming in front of you, everyone just loving off into their own happy place sounds pretty great. I think there's probably way less in the game to paint this picture of Isamu, it's been too long for me to remember, but I like the idea at least. I don't remember Isamu being a bad dude really

These descriptions make a lot more sense than anything actually mentioned to me in the game far as I can remember. They kind of both just...start being assholes and you're not really sure why exactly. Obviously bad poo poo probably happened to them since they decided to wander around alone as powerless humans and all, but it's not said what and it's just kind of like....uh ok I guess you are Ms. Kill or Be Killed now? Maybe I missed some lines somewhere. Maybe there was something with Isamu spending time in prison and being like "yeah actually being alone rules"? From my perspective it mostly seemed like I was bailing my classmates out of dangerous situations and they got all in my face instead of saying thanks. :confused:

Also just using this as an excuse to post

joots

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 17, 2019

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I, uhh, think it's less because that "freedom is terrifying" and more "people look for easier solutions" and that no man is truly an island. We're social and we're supposed to rely on each other and community for help. But when you're atomized in a modern society, that urge doesn't magically go away, but it does make it easier for that urge to latch onto authority figures, especially if they come across as populist. Saying "people are actually afraid of freedom" just makes it sound like ideologies like Facism are valid, and I cannot and will never accept this as true. Sorry.

Getting back to SMT, though, I think the Law and Chaos endings being extreme and maybe not what their advocates initially wanted or pictured is part of the point. It actually leads back to what I was saying about stuff like Facism not actually being "valid", because at least with the Neutral endings, your wish can't become twisted and corrupted by authority figures. Even if it resets to the status quo or gives you more time, it's still more time to think of a more complex solution to the problem that would have everyone better off in the long run than to have either God or Lucifer come in and magically fix things.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerraS posted:

:qq::fh: "We believe in nothing, Flynn! Nothing!"

Seriously, gently caress the White.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Light Gun Man posted:

Also just using this as an excuse to post

joots

Her jirt and her jop look more purple than blue to me.

Blurple.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Light Gun Man posted:

These descriptions make a lot more sense than anything actually mentioned to me in the game far as I can remember. They kind of both just...start being assholes and you're not really sure why exactly. Obviously bad poo poo probably happened to them since they decided to wander around alone as powerless humans and all, but it's not said what and it's just kind of like....uh ok I guess you are Ms. Kill or Be Killed now? Maybe I missed some lines somewhere. Maybe there was something with Isamu spending time in prison and being like "yeah actually being alone rules"? From my perspective it mostly seemed like I was bailing my classmates out of dangerous situations and they got all in my face instead of saying thanks. :confused:

Yeah a lot of what I said could just be my headcanon, I think Chiaki might be rude and violent and Isamu more of a coward. I do not remember Nocturne that well, but I tried to make those two weirdos make sense to myself

their demonic forms look sick as hell tho

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wark Say posted:

:qq::fh: "We believe in nothing, Flynn! Nothing!"

Seriously, gently caress the White.

Say what you want about the tenets of all the extremist Law and Chaos factions, at least those are ethoses.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah a lot of what I said could just be my headcanon, I think Chiaki might be rude and violent and Isamu more of a coward. I do not remember Nocturne that well, but I tried to make those two weirdos make sense to myself

their demonic forms look sick as hell tho

It's been a long time since I've played Nocturne, but that's pretty much what I remember of them too.

And I've said it before, but the fact that there's no boss fights against these two forms is drat travesty

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Isamu looked better before becoming a Pseudo-Fiend. :colbert:

Chiaki looks super rad tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
important distinction is that the faces on isamu's body undulate and write

the cutscene direction in nocturne is so good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
iirc chiaki spends most of the early game very timid and overwhelmed by her surroundings, her Reason is partly a reaction to her earlier behavior

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BaDandy posted:

I, uhh, think it's less because that "freedom is terrifying" and more "people look for easier solutions" and that no man is truly an island. We're social and we're supposed to rely on each other and community for help. But when you're atomized in a modern society, that urge doesn't magically go away, but it does make it easier for that urge to latch onto authority figures, especially if they come across as populist. Saying "people are actually afraid of freedom" just makes it sound like ideologies like Facism are valid, and I cannot and will never accept this as true. Sorry.
-

Some of the most ardently anti-fascist thinkers of the 20th Century are where I get my inspiration on this matter. Jean- Paul Sartre said it best when he said man is condemned to be free. His whole philosophy of existentialism and his idea of 'living in bad faith" said things like going to a religion or whatever for guidance was living wrongly because you are just looking for somebody else to tell you what the meaning of your life is and only you can make that. There was also Erich Fromm who wrote a book called Escape From Freedom which offered a theory about why German citizens worked with the Nazis.

"Freedom" entails a lot more than just politics. It entails everything you do and are. People are scared of that for a lot of reasons. In a world without answers, where the choice is to succeed or fail, isn't it easier to just let somebody do it all for you? Just let somebody tell you why you are here and what you are destined for. It's the underlying principle of religion and religion is as old as mankind itself. Being afraid to think for yourself is not a modern invention by any means.

This is how the SMT writers see things, I think. The entire series and Persona are dripping with Existentialism. Law and Chaos are looking without when the answer for man's future is in himself and him alone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dragonatrix posted:

Isamu looked better before becoming a Pseudo-Fiend. :colbert:

Chiaki looks super rad tho

He looks like he should have been / merged with Sakihagi but he...has nothing to do with him? It's weird.

Also, the implications with the souls in the maze / Sakihagi and Futomimi are kinda neat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

The entire series and Persona are dripping with Existentialism. Law and Chaos are looking without when the answer for man's future is in himself and him alone.
Yeah, I was gonna say, P3 and 4 in particular really bang on the drum of finding self-actualization without succumbing to fatalism. Takaya and especially Adachi represent the dark side of making your own choices, in that if you don't have someone else to choose for you, it's very easy to choose oblivion (literally or metaphorical 'obliviation of self').

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

I have a very soft spot for Strange Journey as it was my first ever foray into SMT-land, and was actually the first video game I'd played in years by that point. As awful as it was to slog through a couple of the maps, the law-chaos dichotomy fascinated me. I didn't realize I had a third choice really until I was already locked in to the Law route, but I remember thinking that every character was insane and that both Zelenin and Jimenez were going to straight up kill my rear end so I went with mindless robot rather then getting torn limb from limb by demons. Of course, as soon as my playthrough was over I ordered like 5 SMT/persona games to sate my newly found hunger for demons :black101:. I haven't gotten Redux yet, but I'm really looking forward to the improvements.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sandnavyguy posted:

I have a very soft spot for Strange Journey as it was my first ever foray into SMT-land, and was actually the first video game I'd played in years by that point. As awful as it was to slog through a couple of the maps, the law-chaos dichotomy fascinated me. I didn't realize I had a third choice really until I was already locked in to the Law route, but I remember thinking that every character was insane and that both Zelenin and Jimenez were going to straight up kill my rear end so I went with mindless robot rather then getting torn limb from limb by demons. Of course, as soon as my playthrough was over I ordered like 5 SMT/persona games to sate my newly found hunger for demons :black101:. I haven't gotten Redux yet, but I'm really looking forward to the improvements.

As we all know, you msut rend, slaughter, devour your enemies.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

As we all know, you msut rend, slaughter, devour your enemies.

DDS was awesome, I loved my Hindu SMT time :allears:

Seriously though, I looked up so, so much mythology after getting into this series.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Does anyone else think "Halloween DJ" when they look at these two or is it just me?

I bet they both have some SICK beats.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

sandnavyguy posted:

DDS was awesome, I loved my Hindu SMT time :allears:

Seriously though, I looked up so, so much mythology after getting into this series.

How many mythologies has SMT used? And are there any that haven't been used yet?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many mythologies has SMT used? And are there any that haven't been used yet?

Not enough vodou. Someone's Persona should be Baron Samedi.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sandnavyguy posted:

SJ was also my first MegaTen game and I also was on the Law Route. I was so Law that when Gore is supposed to give you questions to try and change your alignment, he just said DIE DOG OF YHVH instead.

I got into it precisely because the Law vs. Chaos stuff interested me so much. It still does hence why I finally sat down and played the Devil Survivor games. And I'm glad because they're both really good.

I think after I'm done with DS2 I might finally play SJ Redux myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm0WlKRR3YU

Still my favorite normal boss theme in SMT. So many...well, I guess you could call them fond memories of dying against Ouroboros and Gore.

edit:

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 17, 2019

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Devil Survivor 1 was my first game after SJ since they were both on the same shelf at the store on base, and oddly there was only like three other NDS games in the store. So I basically started it up right after I beat the first one and went hog wild. It was my first ever tactics game, and I love the genre now, so I ended up playing through 4 routes before Persona finally arrived. I definitely agree with people that the Law route in DS1 is one of the best in the SMT series, but I liked the "Human's Rock" neutral one better myself. I haven't played DS 2 yet, don't know why I haven't gotten around to it but I'd have to dig up my 3ds from somewhere.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funky Valentine posted:

Not enough vodou. Someone's Persona should be Baron Samedi.

And Ogoun Feraille.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

the DeSu2 anime was doing a lot of work to ship the MC x Yamato iirc. Like it's in the game to some degree but the anime was really into those two

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
And then the Triangulum arc happens! :v:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Expect My Mom posted:

the DeSu2 anime was doing a lot of work to ship the MC x Yamato iirc. Like it's in the game to some degree but the anime was really into those two

The anime did it to such an extreme it just unceremoniously kills off like half the cast before the 5th day just so it doesn't have to waste time on characters not named Hibiki or Yamato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That seems pretty ridiculous to me, if you wanted to lean into a grimdark story then DS 1 was right there. If you wanted more ensemble cast with wacky antics, that's when you go for DS 2.