Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Riatsala posted:

I'm hoping that my dupes go to the bathroom all the time because they're eating mush bars and that farming meal plants will help; it's seriously digging into my productivity.
If you’re talking about them making messes it’s probably related to the toilets — there aren’t enough (you need at least two for 5 dupes) or more likely the toilets aren’t being cleaned quickly enough. Watch for “broken” icons on the toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Okay, I got all the way to cycle 25 with 8 dupes and had my first collapse! The culprit was my contaminated water supply, so everyone got caught in a loop of food poisoning that eventually left vital tasks unfulfilled.

So how do you purify a water supply? I worked out a sieve to filter out all the pollution, but neglected the germs that were having a grand ol' time in my reservoir.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Riatsala posted:

So how do you purify a water supply? I worked out a sieve to filter out all the pollution, but neglected the germs that were having a grand ol' time in my reservoir.

In the early game, you don't. Do your damnedest to keep your dupes from peeing in it. However, the only things you shouldn't do with infected water are put it in the Water Cooler or use it in cooking. Using it to water bristle berry plants or get flushed in your lavatories is just fine.

Later on, heating the water and/or exposing it to chlorine gas will kill the germs.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 18, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hello Sailor posted:

In the early game, you don't. Do your damnedest to keep your dupes from peeing in it.
Which may include placing a 1-tile “lip” on your reservoir so pee doesn’t just run into it horizontally.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

In the early game, you don't. Do your damnedest to keep your dupes from peeing in it. However, the only things you shouldn't do with infected water are put it in the Water Cooler or use it in cooking. Using it to water bristle berry plants or get flushed in your lavatories is just fine.

Later on, heating the water and/or exposing it to chlorine gas will kill the germs.
Okay, so if you treat it like grey water it'll be okay?

Is polluted water that's been through a distiller disinfected?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Which may include placing a 1-tile “lip” on your reservoir so pee doesn’t just run into it horizontally.

A great idea, thanks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Water is kind of a weird two-tier thing.

There’s water and polluted water (blue and yellow) which determine what it can be used for.

Then there’s a completely separate germy and non-germy trait. Either type of water can be germy or not.

Water sieves turn polluted water into water, but will not remove germs.

Edit: sorry that’s a lot of words to say “no”

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 18, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
8 dupes at cycle 25 is guaranteeing yourself failure. Be very selective with your dupes, every one you add increases your requirements and shortens your lead time on responding to changes.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
(The only printed dupe stat that matters is Learning and the only trait that matters is narcoleptic(don't have any))

Removing germs from water is basically just not a thing worth doing in my opinion.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh, I’d argue that Divers Lungs is pretty important, too. It’s the only (?) trait that saves you resources for the entire game.

I always wondered why they called Gourmet a positive trait.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Water is kind of a weird two-tier thing.

There’s water and polluted water (blue and yellow) which determine what it can be used for.

Then there’s a completely separate germy and non-germy trait. Either type of water can be germy or not.

Water sieves turn polluted water into water, but will not remove germs.

Edit: sorry that’s a lot of words to say “no”

No, that's very helpful, thank you. I think when you see "polluted water" and "water" you tend to assume that "water" is safe in all contexts.

bird food bathtub posted:

8 dupes at cycle 25 is guaranteeing yourself failure. Be very selective with your dupes, every one you add increases your requirements and shortens your lead time on responding to changes.

Yeah, I think maybe I was jumping the gun on dupes. I don't think I have a strong appreciation for resources that take a long time to run out (algae, water, etc) and I was already running into instances where my dupes were carving out large sections of rock just so they'd have something to do, which in turn stretched my oxygen thin.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Learning is big for sure but IMO you don’t want to look for just learning because a lot of the other stuff is still useful to look for/avoid. I.E. anemic because it’s a permenant -3 (AFAIK) so that dupe will always be -3 to althetics compared to the rest, as they have skill caps. Given how easy althetics is to cap out comparatively that penalty is dumb to accept. Also no unconstructive, yokel or trypo because those jobs should be taken/mastered by everyone eventually.

With the changes to the printer being a lot more selective isn’t really a problem, you’ll often get neat poo poo in the mean time. Every early wort seed that pops up is worth like 20 dupes to me. Dupes don’t have ages so they will be with you for however long you play, in my case 1000+ cycles, so I’m pretty picky about getting universally positive attributes when I take someone. 3+ learning but also no negatives and 2+ interests usually.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 18, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I love the Pacu spawn from the printing pod, because I usually pool all 3 water spawns together in the bottom half of the starting biome and they'll flap there. Free meat and extra egg shells, woohoo!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got hilariously lucky and had three slickster eggs on the print list at like cycle 50. That was amazingly useful without all the rear end pain of setting up plastic infrastructure and herding those drat things out of the magma biome.

Then at maybe cycle 100 or 150 they bred a molten slickster. Been living on easy street with CO2 this entire run through.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

bird food bathtub posted:

I got hilariously lucky and had three slickster eggs on the print list at like cycle 50. That was amazingly useful without all the rear end pain of setting up plastic infrastructure and herding those drat things out of the magma biome.

Then at maybe cycle 100 or 150 they bred a molten slickster. Been living on easy street with CO2 this entire run through.

How do you handle animals that soon? Wouldn't that be well before you have enough morale to have a rancher?

I guess that leads into another question. How should I be getting over the 12 morale hump in the early game (cycle 50-100). Washrooms, barracks and great halls I get up as soon as possible, but then I struggle. Should just carpet bomb granite crown moldings and poo poo tier statues everywhere?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The jump from 12 to 16-20 for me is food. Omelettes and ... whatever peppers and berries makes, usually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Washroom, barracks, great hall, and some plants are my go to really. You can give them some extra break time if you need a point boost or two. Digging to the frozen areas for some sleet wheat can also help a lot; buns are a good early morale boost or if you're feeling really ambitious the map usually has a few cycles' worth of pepper bread just kind of laying around.

Having morale a few points under also really isn't that big of a deal. If you only have one or two dupes accumulating stress a massage table makes it go away. You obviously don't go full on tenured scientists until you can get morale high enough but getting to 10 or 11 is easy enough and stress is kind of like immunity; it doesn't matter if the number ticks in the bad direction a few percentage points.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

What's a good early game food progression? I rushed the second tier of farming research, so I have plots and the electric grill and plenty of mealwood and bristle seeds.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Yeah I give my dupes an extra shift of downtime so they all have time to socialize before bed.

I also try to make sure everyone has a shower. Showering gives a +3 morale I think? And when I get around to it, carpeting and crown molding for bedrooms, and just cleaning the floors of debris in general.

As an alternative to spamming artwork, you could give everyone a Snazzy Suit and they'll bring pretty wherever they go.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Riatsala posted:

What's a good early game food progression? I rushed the second tier of farming research, so I have plots and the electric grill and plenty of mealwood and bristle seeds.
I generally start with growing a bunch of mealwood and a handful of bristle blossoms, and start growing mushrooms as soon as convenient. By the time you have multiple mushrooms growing you probably also have everyone in barracks, a latrine, and eating in a great hall so adding mushrooms should have you comfortably able to handle 12 morale.

Oh I also toss a few potted plants around in spots, usually where I think will eventually benefit from a wheezewort — like next to the hamster wheel and battery, and next to the research stations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do you handle animals that soon? Wouldn't that be well before you have enough morale to have a rancher?

I guess that leads into another question. How should I be getting over the 12 morale hump in the early game (cycle 50-100). Washrooms, barracks and great halls I get up as soon as possible, but then I struggle. Should just carpet bomb granite crown moldings and poo poo tier statues everywhere?

You only need a rancher to groom/tame animals with the ranching station, and to move trapped/wrangled critters. Eggs can be moved wherever by just assigning a storage (don't leave eggs in the storage, they wont hatch), and wild animals still do their eating/egg laying thing, just at a much slower rate. With slicksters, taming them makes them produce a shitload more oil but require an equally insane amount of CO2 intake; most of the time I just grab the ones I can reach, move them to someplace new, and let them stay wild. Most wild creatures will lay an egg in their lifetime, so they'll persist so long as you don't like freeze or melt them. Slicksters like hot atmosphere, so you have to be careful where you leave them.

For something like Dreckos, where the main product you care about is the shearing material, leaving them wild but in a controlled environment can actually be beneficial. Just being in hydrogen makes their wool/plastic grow at a set rate, the food they eat or their happiness is irrelevant. Phosphorite and eggs are what are determined by the taming/happiness.

Riatsala posted:

If you have access to a geyser or just a ton of water, bristle berries are the next logical step. They can be cooked for extra kcal or combined with some of the other crops later on for even more. If you don't have a sustainable source of water, mushrooms are king and the most efficient food in the game. The thing with mushrooms is they require slime, so you have to store the slime in chlorine or a small layer of water to keep the slime from polluting slimelung. Sinks outside the farm entrance (or the chlorine bath), and cooking the mushooms gets you an extremely sustainable food source for basically any length of game time. You need 3 cooked mushrooms per dupe per cycle to maintain the 1000 kcal needs, and 1 mushroom is only 10kg of slime per cycle. There is easily like 400t of slime on any map.

Sleet wheat is good but it requires dirt, water and cold, and that can be hard to manage, especially the dirt if you aren't careful since it's surprisingly finite without a way of cooking other things into dirt later. Sleet is really more of a luxury to think about later, it's not a good primary food source because it's easy to mismanage and has like a 18 cycle growth pattern w/o a farming station. It does grow well in the wild tho, so just leaving plants in the cold biome alone can net you a lot of sleet wheat. Same with pincha.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 18, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Demon_Corsair posted:

Initially I didn't, just built/excavated a pathway that forced them in to the bottom central area of my base and walled them in with airflow tiles then left them as wild until I could do ranching.

A pack of those things will scarf down a ridonculous amount of CO2. Initially they were doing a Lord Of The Flies survival situation where I had them frequently on the ragged edge of starvation because my CO2 output was too low until one or two died off, then some more eggs hatched and it was back to survival of the fittest.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Will wild creatures eat out of a feeder?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think so, but most things you want to keep wild intentionally don't eat out of a feeder anyway.

Hatches make coal by eating, so you want them tamed if you are after said coal or eggs, as their production of both is much higher tamed. Pufts are basically the same, if you want the slime, they should be tamed. Dreckos eat the entire mealwood or bristle plant, not just the fruit, so you need a farm in the area to feed them properly either way. Slicksters eat CO2. Fish are tamed by eating out of the feeder (although you can intentionally limit the algae provided to keep them happy/alive/laying eggs, forget how exactly but it does work).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 18, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Nah, but slicksters eat CO2 out of the air. No feeder even when they're tamed. Just left them wild to scarf up CO2 until I had someone who could do ranching then built an animal pen around where I already had them for even more CO2 consumption.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I have spent days trying to fix my airflow stoppages until someone pointed out that bridges evenly split flow at joints. Where has this been all my life.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Demon_Corsair posted:

Wasn’t mentioned, so I’ll add I know that shine bugs will.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
You don't have to feed tame fish as far as I can tell. They have enough energy from being born to create at least another egg in their lifetime.

Just feed them 1kg each (roughly) a day using a timer to get bonus eggs or converting from gulp fish. I still don't know a good way to do this, so I just set up a bunch of feeders that each have 1kg each supplied by a sweeper on a timer and they chaotically all end up getting a turn most of the time.

Gulp fish + slush geyser is a good way to get clean ice. Not so great for getting clean water itself.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ice is just water you don't have to mop up first.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One way to melt ice is to set a storage container at your end point for like 2-4kg, tiny amounts of ice like that melt really fast. It will take forever to move a lot this way but it’s a really good way to move a very specific amount of water somewhere, like to cover a vent with less than 2000g for the water over vent trick. A Gulp fish in a slush geyser is good to have an infinite supply of clean ice, the constant -10C output will keep the water types seperate (the ice frozen) because of their freezing point difference.

Edit: also yeah I forgot about shine bugs earlier, :rip:. You need to tame them to get crazy egg production to make artificial suns but you can maintain a small number forever by keeping them wild someplace safe, they also lay one egg in their life cycle.

The thing about wild critters is they need far less food so they’ll often live to egg age without any food at all so long as they aren’t killed some other way, but occasionally they will just starve/disappear. With the new printer rules you can get eggs/babies for everything though so it’s a lot less crucial to worry about keeping some sun bugs or whatever alive just in case, since it used to be easy to lose all of them on a map.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 19, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

New roadmap.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/104004-oxygen-not-included-roadmap-march-2019/

quote:

Hey everyone!

It's now been over two years since the first public Beta for Oxygen Not Included, and it's finally time to fully launch the game! The third Quality of Life Upgrade is coming to you on Tuesday April 16th, and then there will be one last update to complete Early Access.

In late May, we will be coming out of Early Access with :siren:new content (3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more):siren:, and official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

With that, we feel Oxygen Not Included is ready for a full launch. After we've officially launched, we will continue to make quality of life improvements and bug fixes, while the bulk of the team will be moving on to building DLC for the game, where we can explore further ideas and expansions to ONI's world.

All in all, it's been a rather surreal journey for the team. The game is extremely intricate, with so many moving parts; when we first designed it, we weren't sure how many people would be interested in embracing their inner scientist, but 1.5 million players later, we're happy to say the experiment has worked out.

Thank you so much for playing our game. Thank you so much for all your bug reports, your feedback and all the wonderful support you have given us during this journey. We look forward to launching this game with you.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I've gotten to cycle 33 for the first time, just (cautiously) printed my 6th dupe. I'm making more food than I can eat, my water consumption should last me 150 cycles more until I have to start draining a second natural reservoir(unlikely, I realize, but still, consumption is slow), oxygen production is steady and most importantly no one's poo poo in the water supply. Everyone has showers and real toilets and potted plants for their bedsides.

I also got a wheezewort seed, which I potted near my farm to make sure the ambient temp stays closer to tenable. I'm a little concerned about my coal consumption - I run a single coal generator 50% of the time, and I know that can't last forever if I expand much. I'm thinking of making an airlock complete with wash stations and heading into the swamp biome for the first time. I'm scared because I can see the slimelung germs but I don't know what they do.

Any suggestions on what to head for from here? Any warnings about what's going to kill me next? I'm slightly concerned that I'm eventually going to bake myself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mechanical Ape posted:

Yeah I give my dupes an extra shift of downtime so they all have time to socialize before bed.

I also try to make sure everyone has a shower. Showering gives a +3 morale I think? And when I get around to it, carpeting and crown molding for bedrooms, and just cleaning the floors of debris in general.

As an alternative to spamming artwork, you could give everyone a Snazzy Suit and they'll bring pretty wherever they go.

Yeah, showers are +3. That's huge for all the more it actually costs to run them. If you're doing lavatories you're running pipes around and dealing with the polluted water already anyway.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Riatsala posted:

I've gotten to cycle 33 for the first time, just (cautiously) printed my 6th dupe. I'm making more food than I can eat, my water consumption should last me 150 cycles more until I have to start draining a second natural reservoir(unlikely, I realize, but still, consumption is slow), oxygen production is steady and most importantly no one's poo poo in the water supply. Everyone has showers and real toilets and potted plants for their bedsides.

I also got a wheezewort seed, which I potted near my farm to make sure the ambient temp stays closer to tenable. I'm a little concerned about my coal consumption - I run a single coal generator 50% of the time, and I know that can't last forever if I expand much. I'm thinking of making an airlock complete with wash stations and heading into the swamp biome for the first time. I'm scared because I can see the slimelung germs but I don't know what they do.

Any suggestions on what to head for from here? Any warnings about what's going to kill me next? I'm slightly concerned that I'm eventually going to bake myself.

An airlock and wash stations aren't even particularly necessary at the border of a swamp biome. A couple of deodorizers will convert the polluted oxygen into clean oxygen before it can spread into your base, and the slimelung will die off once it's no longer in polluted 02. Place more deodorizers as you get deeper into the biome to steadily convert the atmosphere into clean oxygen and you'll make the whole biome just as safe as the starting one.

There's a certain amount of slimelung inhalation that's completely harmless to dupes - their immune systems will kill the germs off without them ever dropping below 100% immunity. They need to spend a good chunk of time in polluted 02 before it'll even start to drop. That's really what the value of a door is: to let you forbid individual dupes who have starting losing their immunity from going into the swamp until they're back up to 100%. If you take it slow, only designate a bit to be mined out each day, plant enough deodorizers to get rid of the polluted oxygen, and store any slime you dig up in partially-submerged containers to prevent offgassing, you might not even end up needing a door.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I assume they’ll release an experimental version of QoL 3 early, otherwise April 16 will be a very very busy day for me because Anno 1800 releases that day as well.

The second half of April will be excellent!!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Riatsala posted:

Coal will run out fast and hard. Hook up a smart battery so it doesn't waste time cycling with nothing to feed. The coal is the real timer for you and if you don't find alternatives it's going to be the breaking point, I think.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Using hydrogen for power settings like kind of a waste unless you are tapping a geyser, since it's such a useful heat management gas. Natural gas generator spews out lots of co2 and more heat than coal generator, though at least you happen to get it as a byproduct of processing oil into Petroleum.

It's annoying that the wrong gas damages the generator, since it makes you need a gas sieve which eats power and spits out heat.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

It's annoying that the wrong gas damages the generator, since it makes you need a gas sieve which eats power and spits out heat.

Assuming you mean a gas filter, that's the inefficient early-game solution, before you have access to automation. Once you do, you should switch to a gas element sensor + gas shutoff - it says it uses 10W (vs the filter's 120) but it actually doesn't seem to use any power at all.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Triarii posted:

Assuming you mean a gas filter, that's the inefficient early-game solution, before you have access to automation. Once you do, you should switch to a gas element sensor + gas shutoff - it says it uses 10W (vs the filter's 120) but it actually doesn't seem to use any power at all.

Does this setup let through 2 units of gas at a time instead of 1? Also doesn't it have issues if you have blocked/full pipes on one of the branches?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sillybones posted:

Does this setup let through 2 units of gas at a time instead of 1? Also doesn't it have issues if you have blocked/full pipes on one of the branches?

Not sure what you mean by 2 units of gas. It'll have a max throughput of 1kg/sec like any gas pipe.

It can indeed have issues with incorrectly routing gas when the filtered gas backs up, and you can fix that by setting it up in a loop so the backed up gas keeps flowing until it has room to proceed, but in the simple case of "I don't want anything but hydrogen to go into my hydrogen generator" you don't need to worry about that. You'd just be filtering off any non-hydrogen gas (using a gas element sensor + not gate) and venting that into the air wherever, so it should never get backed up.

Edit: Actually yeah I think that you might sometimes vent a packet of hydrogen if your generators are full up. The loop setup will secure against that. I had things set up to collect any hydrogen that floated up to the top of my base since I seemed to be leaking bits of it in all sorts of ways anyway, in addition to deliberately mining into pockets of it.

Edit 2: An explanation of how to set up the loop: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/984pt9/robust_pipe_filter_or_how_i_learned_to_love_loops/

Triarii fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

I assume they’ll release an experimental version of QoL 3 early, otherwise April 16 will be a very very busy day for me because Anno 1800 releases that day as well.

The second half of April will be excellent!!

:agreed: