Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Halo is what introduced bros/fratbois to the FPS genre thanks to being on a easy to use / maintain console and no longer in the domain of nerds on PCs.

This is why people give Halo more importance than it really has. Because of it being a best seller to nerds but more importantly to non-nerds, companies took notice and started catering to the broader non-nerd audience almost exclusively, ie: call of duty / modern warfare/etc.

What's kind of funny is that the catering to console market is what kept the FPS genre (and video games) alive as these games would be made for the consoles now exclusively and then ported back to PC to various degrees of success. At least during that middle period between PC games to the rise of the Minecraft / smart phones / fremium games though, so like ~2001 to ~2009.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The dedicated melee button existed in a game before Halo, and without it, we'd still be banging rocks together to start fires

Starring Liu Kang as Duke Nukem

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Outlaws isn't Build, but it has the worst throwables. The dynamite is a Sprite when it's in your hand, then turns into a very low poly 3d object when thrown. It also doesn't throw very well so you end up hurting yourself more often than not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Outlaws dynamite works ok, there’s definitely a knack to it (as with the detonators in Dark Forces). It looks like rear end though, much like the game as a whole.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

wafflemoose posted:

Really digging DUSK. Episode One was good but Two has blown me away, I missed the days of FPSes having trippy levels and DUSK delivers on that front.

Which FPS game had the trippiest levels?

Literal year late reply but I played it today, it's the Marathon mod Spatial Outpouring. This poo poo is like drugs was on drugs

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

Which Build Engine game has the best thrown explosives?

I'm having a hard time deciding between Blood's dynamite, and the bowling bombs from Ion Maiden.

Duke 3d's pipe bombs are also fun but I always end up blowing myself up with them.

Blood's dynamite is my vote, the way you can use it like an impact grenade or a time bomb, the just right arc and speed it flies, the way the explosion looks different if it explodes off the ground and makes the screen shake, the way it pushes gibs and pulped enemies with an accelerating curve.

skasion posted:

Outlaws dynamite works ok, there’s definitely a knack to it (as with the detonators in Dark Forces). It looks like rear end though, much like the game as a whole.

My knack I think was to throw unlit ones and then run away and shoot them because I couldn't figure out how to use them without killing myself and they're real unsatisfying (I've seen environmental effects with bigger explosions), almost the opposite in every way to the blood dynamite.

I guess the grenade from powerslave counts here too, just as satisfying as the blood dynamite to use but a bit less versatile and the arc is a bit off, but the sound and effects for it are really punchy (which is also why the the M60 in that game is one of the best, a little screen shake and a good choice of sound goes a long way).

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 17, 2019

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1106941144355794945

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Death Wish TC for Blood is one of the best games I've ever played. I started it about a week ago and finished it recently, the level design is awesome.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The dedicated melee button existed in a game before Halo, and without it, we'd still be banging rocks together to start fires

My dad would do this and make a joke that duke shoves the gun in his rear end and pogos around on it during this lmao

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Patching that out was a mistake.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Starring Billy Quan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRuNwOMzW8&t=71s

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

skasion posted:

Literal year late reply but I played it today, it's the Marathon mod Spatial Outpouring. This poo poo is like drugs was on drugs

Lunatic Fringe in Duke Nukem

Casimir Radon posted:

Outlaws isn't Build, but it has the worst throwables. The dynamite is a Sprite when it's in your hand, then turns into a very low poly 3d object when thrown. It also doesn't throw very well so you end up hurting yourself more often than not.

The dynamite had the slowest drat travel time!

friggen hell the Billy Quan skits have me rolling every time lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nice. Looking forward to picking this up as soon as it comes out, all Night Dive's remasters have been :discourse:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-sIKkkybOE

Thought for a moment that such a thing might exist but no. Hell no.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i hope the Blood remaster exposes a whole new bunch of people to it, because its been one of the most unfriendly old fps games to play on modern hardware. even if you can get it running satisfactorily with dosbox, the mouselook feels weird and nauseating because of the 2.5d, and i dont know how many people know about blood gdx

ControlV
Mar 8, 2019
I bought a sub pretty much so I can keep reading this thread. Also, just played Doom 64 EX and it's so good I played it twice in a row.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

addendum:

So many viles of all sorts. There were only 600 monsters when I started the map.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

addendum:

So many viles of all sorts. There were only 600 monsters when I started the map.

Lol what the hell map is this and in your last video

It's like slaughtermap dense but without any of the careful positioning that makes slaughtermaps possible

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arivia posted:

Lol what the hell map is this and in your last video

It's like slaughtermap dense but without any of the careful positioning that makes slaughtermaps possible

One of Oblige's "procedural gotchas" with the number and strength of monsters turned up way high and the combination of DoomRL Monsters and Legendoomlite to make things messier. I have them set to spawn every 10 maps to flex whatever overpowered poo poo I'm running or horribly murder me if I'm not op enough. The plasma rifle in the video does about 4600 dps if I have a buff active and hit with all 3 streams. I also got a lot of mileage out of a plasma cannon master assembly, which is basically a plasma rocket the leaves some extra damage over time and shoots in 3s thanks to my armor's special plasma rifle gimmick. Also the invuln in the video was summoned for demonstration purposes, the map itself isn't nearly that nice.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I fiiiiinally beat the first episode of Daikatana after laughing out loud at how bad the shockwave is like holy poo poo I don't know how this game consistently has the worst guns I've ever seen in a shooter. I'll grant that none of them are BORING but they're all awkward and suicidal in various ways. At least not I get to throw around a disc for a while which at least seems like a reliable weapon (even though I had to reload my save after accidentally losing it because I let it get around a corner and ricochet until it just... Stopped, and vanished off the face of the Earth. No hitscanners yet either so this episode is looking up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Daikatana's weapon designer looked at stuff like Turok and missed the fact that standard, basic, and always useful weapons were mixed in with all the crazy poo poo.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hmm

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1107041869416919040

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

About time. DOSBox and BloodGDX are stop-gap solutions at best.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hear Blood's hard, what's difficulty should I go with as someone who plays Doom exclusively on HMP?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mordja posted:

I hear Blood's hard, what's difficulty should I go with as someone who plays Doom exclusively on HMP?

The second one. Lightly broiled is close to the game's UV where it's slightly harder than UV, but it's probably the most-played among fans while still being relatively fun. You can do it on a first playthrough, but it's mostly there for people who know the maps and such. Well Done is very hard for very good players and can be unfun with some of the health values. Extra Crispy is mostly there for co-op, even then it's super hard.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

If they haven't fixed the difficulty bug, take the one in the middle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What's the bug exactly?

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

Daikatana's weapon designer looked at stuff like Turok and missed the fact that standard, basic, and always useful weapons were mixed in with all the crazy poo poo.

you can rocket jump with your clip-fed autoshotgun just like in real life dude, what are you on about

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mordja posted:

What's the bug exactly?
The damage scaling's all messed up on a reload.

quote:

Still Kicking -----------> 56% ---> 200%
Pink on the Inside --> 81% ---> 150%
Lightly Broiled -------> 100% --> 100%
Well Done ------------> 119% --> 81%
Extra Crispy ----------> 144% --> 63%

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i'm looking forward to finally playing blood. i got into games in the quake 2 era and graphics moved so fast back then it was hard for young and judgmental me to go back to playing terrible looking sprite games. now i'm old and it all looks terrible so we're g2g.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think a lot of people might be interested, get it, and then bounce off hard after an episode or two because lmao a remaster isn't going to solve the lovely game design of 'hey fight this same boss you fought last episode, but possibly 2 or even 3 at a time' or the evergreen classic of 'imagine if every zombie grunt and imp in doom was a perfectly accurate hitscanner'

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/dosnostalgic/status/577828013607387136?s=19

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rest in peace, Dick Dale. You might not have created any music for first person shooters but you wrote excellent music for Rocket Jockey, and that game gets brought up here at least once a year.

Probably by me, but still... :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
help I played lilith.pk3 and now my wall is autoscrolling

also hitscan range pinkies hurt

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Rest in peace, Dick Dale. You might not have created any music for first person shooters but you wrote excellent music for Rocket Jockey, and that game gets brought up here at least once a year.

You just know that someone somewhere recreated the Pulp Fiction diner in the Build Engine and included a tinny rendition of “Misirlou”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

You just know that someone somewhere recreated the Pulp Fiction diner in the Build Engine and included a tinny rendition of “Misirlou”.

Ill go one further, its actually a tinny rendition of the sample of miserilou in "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If anyone wants to beta test Halo Reach on Steam, you can pre-emptively sign up for the testing programme here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-insider

It sends you an email verification link which ended up in my junk folder so be sure to check there.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Probably by me, but still... :smith:

I totally forgot to post because I looked into Rocket Jockey again after this post, due to it being one of my favorite old games. Every now and then I would look it up to see if any progress has been made on some sort of remake and I am proud to announce that it has!

Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNsRXsGQVTE

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I totally forgot to post because I looked into Rocket Jockey again after this post, due to it being one of my favorite old games. Every now and then I would look it up to see if any progress has been made on some sort of remake and I am proud to announce that it has!

Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNsRXsGQVTE

Not quite sure if the art style they're going for fits the motif exactly but I like it!

Unfortunately the company's twitter hasn't updated since last year and uh...that's not a good sign, but their facebook has some concept art posted from December. I just hope this doesn't vanish into the void, but if it does I at least have my PCem setup with Windows 95 to run the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angry_Ed posted:

Not quite sure if the art style they're going for fits the motif exactly but I like it!

Unfortunately the company's twitter hasn't updated since last year and uh...that's not a good sign, but their facebook has some concept art posted from December. I just hope this doesn't vanish into the void, but if it does I at least have my PCem setup with Windows 95 to run the game.

Didn't the TJ&E team go quiet for a while during development? Here's hoping that's all that's going on here.

Man, I haven't clicked 'Follow' that fast in a long drat time.

Now I wonder how many people will be calling this some sort of weird rip-off of Rocket League. :negative: