Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Notepad++ is extremely good and anybody who works with text files on Windows should use it.

Last year I tried and failed to use Edlin. I felt bad but then I realized Edlin was always if not literal then at least figurative poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

VLC has been fine for years now. It pauses instantly and can even go frame-by-frame.

Some programs that are still great despite hardly changing over 15 years:

Irfanview
Audacity
Foobar2000
VLC
Notepad++

WinRAR

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Photoshop CS2 is still widely used also

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just wondered to myself "what do I even install anymore, utility-wise?" (other than IrfanView The Magnificent obviously)

Looks like the only other program I intentionally sought out besides Everything, the best program with the worst name, and Foobar2000, which we already brought up, was Exact Audio Copy, a program I have definitely been using for 15+ years that has barely changed and still works great in the fairly uncommon circumstances where anyone still needs to rip a CD.

Oh no I see it has not been updated since around the time I last installed it :ohdear:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Word and Excel.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Don't forget 7zip and GIMP

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Don't forget 7zip and GIMP

GIMP and Inkscape are actually well worth their price.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh I know. I use it because it's free, not because it's good.

I don't think I could ever figure out how to even use Inkscape, but GIMP works fine for what little simple image editing I do.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

7-Zip, FileZilla, foobar2000, GIMP, mIRC, notepad2, and Chrome. That's basically it after being on this same Windows install for 10 years.

(Yes, I registered my copy of mIRC.)

GIMP is very good once you're used to it, but at the same time the interface is such a mess that I'd never recommend it to someone else. I use it because it's what I've always used and always will but there has to be another free option by now that doesn't have an interface straight out of 1989.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
GIMP actually got a pretty decent UI overhaul, same with Blender.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

emacs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Trumpet Winsock :corsair:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Empress Brosephine posted:

Photoshop CS2 is still widely used also

There's a more specific reason for that one

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have an old P4 Dell Optiplex tower in the closet as a "backup" in case my computer and phone decide to poo poo the bed at the same time. I'm pretty sure that still has CS2 on it. What is the more specific reason people still use it? Is it a :filez: thing?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, Adobe shut down the authentication servers for the whole CS2 suite a couple of years ago but kept hosting the installers so it's not technically freeware, but they openly admit there's nothing they can do to make you pay for it

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

They even provide a serial number when you download it, and just tell you that's it's naughty to use that serial if you didn't purchase the program at some point.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I still have Notepad++ around but lately I use Metapad to pop something open for a quick peek and Visual Studio Code for anything resembling real work.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I believe Acrobat 7 is the same story. Free directly from Adobe now. It's useful for the rare occasion that I need to make an edit to a PDF, and as far as I know it still works with Win10 and modern PDF files.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I had completely forgotten about Metapad but it's what I did tons of HTML stuff in from 2001-2003 or so! Definitely going to keep this around for random nostalgic use. It's strange how some text editors can just feel SO RIGHT to use even though they all do the same thing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was going to add this one to the list but I was smart enough to check the thread before posting it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Make sure you update it then!

https://securingtomorrow.mcafee.com/other-blogs/mcafee-labs/attackers-exploiting-winrar-unacev2-dll-vulnerability-cve-2018-20250/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a 1987 emacs manual and as far as I can tell it's still entirely accurate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know why I like vim so much. I don't know the commands anymore, and I always mess up when I'm trying to edit stuff. But I guess it's one less letter than nano so it's what I go for.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can someone explain what makes poo poo like emacs and vi pains to work with? I don't code so the notion of a text editor being a ux nightmare just seems bizarre to me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's a text-only console interface with Ctrl+ type text commands.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mak0rz posted:

Can someone explain what makes poo poo like emacs and vi pains to work with? I don't code so the notion of a text editor being a ux nightmare just seems bizarre to me.

For vi, You don't use a mouse, so to do things like copy and paste, you have to press escape to enter the command mode and then remember which random key does the thing you want. You also have to enter commands to save, and to do find and replace. So if you don't know how to use it, you just start typing and random things start happening because you didn't hit A or I to append or insert to enter edit mode.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I was always a NoteTab Plus guy. But eh, for the number of text files I mess with today (basically just some hosts file fuckery), plain old Notepad is just fine.

MPC-HC and Winamp are the last glorious holdouts from all the crap I ran back in the late 90's - early 00's.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mak0rz posted:

They have bespoke user interfaces.

They’re not hard to use once you understand them, but they behave unlike any other piece of software most people are familiar with.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

vi and emacs both date back to 1976. Yes, really. 1976. Most of the interface conventions that people take for granted nowadays simply didn't exist back then. To learn these editors, you must <yoda>unlearn what you have learned</yoda> and teach yourself to think in a slightly different way. And once you do... you get to like it.

Just be warned that once you learn them, you'll be drafted into the vi vs. emacs holy war, in which the righteous forces of vi attempt to defeat the evil trickery of the emacs bastards. (Note: I may be slightly biased.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

vi and emacs both date back to 1976. Yes, really. 1976. Most of the interface conventions that people take for granted nowadays simply didn't exist back then. To learn these editors, you must <yoda>unlearn what you have learned</yoda> and teach yourself to think in a slightly different way. And once you do... you get to like it.

Just be warned that once you learn them, you'll be drafted into the vi vs. emacs holy war, in which the righteous forces of vi attempt to defeat the evil trickery of the emacs bastards. (Note: I may be slightly biased.)

Just remember that when you eventually decide you want to use org-mode, if you picked vi then you'll have to use spacemacs or one of the other evil-mode based emacs packages so that you don't have to break your brain twice.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't really get why it's a war because they seem like two totally different things to me. vi is a normal text editor and pretty straightforward apart having an interface that doesn't follow any modern conventions, while Emacs is so bonkers complicated it's basically its own OS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I went looking through lists of old text editors to try to find the one I used early to mid 2000s, and I'm not sure I found it. PSPad looks the closest to what I remember, but I'm not sure.

It had really nice syntax highlighting and was extensible as hell, but my memory is a bit foggy and the last computer I had it installed on is long gone. Pretty sure it had built-in FTP as well but that I could be wrong about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to use notepad++ for everything but I switched to Sublime Text recently

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Fortunately, both sides of the Editor War will join forces to pants anyone who prefers using pico/nano.

An important note about the complexity of editors from the 70's (and earlier) is that they were designed for slow, unreliable connections between host and terminal, and by terminal, I mean a real x3270-based terminal. A true OG mainframer will figure out what needs to change in their dataset, rub their beard for a while, then bang out a string of characters that looks like a modem connection string, pause for a little more beard rubbing, give a reassured nod, then slowly but deliberately press Enter. It's how they learned to computer because sending the whole screen, or even the set of characters, back and forth over the connection was slow, expensive, or unreliable.

I clearly remember in my first week or so of my first job, I was editing a file in vi with mainframe sysprog looking over my shoulder. Every keystroke made him shudder in disgust. I felt like Bobby Hill explaining some new thing to his father.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

an AOL chatroom posted:

Fortunately, both sides of the Editor War will join forces to pants anyone who prefers using pico/nano.

gently caress a modal editor. I like just opening the file and typing, crazy, right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nano supremacy

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This made me remember IrfanView, which I haven't thought about at all since the 90s. It looks just like I remember it, but it's apparently still receiving regular updates. :psyduck:

This was what we used at a digital archiving job I had in about 2012

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
To this day anytime I’m forced to use vi for more than five minutes (99.5% of the time to update a config file on some server somewhere) the long-dormant ruts the keybindings wore in my brain over the years awaken from the depths like some Lovecraftian horror and I’m reflexively typing poo poo like ESC-:wq every time I need to save a file in IntelliJ or something for the next hour.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Eight
Megabytes
And
Constantly
Swapping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like nano because it works more or less like MSDOS EDIT, the text editor I grew up using.

Emacs is alright, though it's become so complicated and feature-bloated that I hear somebody might port Emacs to it.