Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Their saves when they gently caress something up are honestly masterpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Who are the Krassensteins? I know they're lefty grifters, but where the hell did they come from?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

seiferguy posted:

Who are the Krassensteins? I know they're lefty grifters, but where the hell did they come from?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/feds-seized-a-fortune-from-resistance-icons-accused-of-boosting-online-ponzi-schemes

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

Originally they were scam stock grifters and as soon as they started having large 6 figure sums taken off them by the govt for being scammers Trump came about so they jumped on the Trump grift train.

That's about it in a nutshell, they've always been grifters.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You know, he made his own shoes, but they don't call him Shane Dawson the cobbler.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
They're also the hacks behind How the People Trumped Ronald Plump, which is just as terrible as it sounds.

https://twitter.com/EdKrassen/status/1037034464713551872

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Everyone itt is a whiny manlet who can't handle the raw masculine energy produced by the Krassensteins

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MizPiz posted:

Everyone itt is a whiny manlet who can't handle the raw masculine energy produced by the Krassensteins

Your mother, Trebek.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

No idea who this guy is but this got retweeted into my feed and this is something nobody should feel the need to tweet

https://twitter.com/shanedawson/status/1107464566332489728?s=19

I recently started listening to Last Podcast on the Left. I've only listened to about 20 or so episodes of it. I'm amazed how many times in I've heard them reiterate various forms of "DO NOT HAVE SEX WITH YOUR CAT" in those handful of episodes. Clearly this guy did not get the message.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Weatherman posted:

Your mother, Trebek.

That reminds me that Alex Trebek is about to die. Kind of a downer.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Shane Dawson is a YouTube dude who is very popular with people under 18. He has had a shtick where he makes “documentaries” about other YouTube people you may not have heard of, like Logan Paul (infamous for having filmed the corpse of a suicide in that Japanese suicide forest).

Apparently he said on a podcast that he humped his cat and ejaculated on it several years ago, but now he’s saying that that was a joke.

I am sorry for burdening your brains with this information.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

AlbieQuirky posted:

Shane Dawson is a YouTube dude who is very popular with people under 18. He has had a shtick where he makes “documentaries” about other YouTube people you may not have heard of, like Logan Paul (infamous for having filmed the corpse of a suicide in that Japanese suicide forest).

Apparently he said on a podcast that he humped his cat and ejaculated on it several years ago, but now he’s saying that that was a joke.

How about a nice relaxing story to take your mind off the cat loving

https://twitter.com/fangsfemme/status/1107468565609742337

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I thought it was just this joke:

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yikes I just assumed he was a weird twitter dude that was doing one of those "Let's unpack this: 1/76" bits

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

So did I at first but it's actually worse than the cat loving thing

https://twitter.com/jovanforever/status/1107366255982329857

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I feel like I need a loving shower after listening to that. What a piece of walking talking poo poo.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

jobson groeth posted:

So many people in there defending the guy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Katt posted:

So many people in there defending the guy.

Picnic Princess posted:

I see it's your first day on the internet. Welcome.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Aramek posted:

Dumbasses see "strong person uses strength to overcome enemy" as inherently fascist because they're dumb.

Actually, the argument is more "superhero movies are generally about how the established order is incapable of dealing with muslims immigrants terrifying external threats, so we need a strong dictator superhero who is given free reign to work outside existing law to save us", as well as the whole machismo strength worship that's a core tenet of fascism. I'm less interested in 50s superhero comics than contemporary superhero movies, so "but the creators of [superhero] were Jewish, they can't possibly be fascist!" isn't a compelling argument to me.

I'm not saying that every superhero movie has every element I mentioned, but from the ones I've managed to stomach they seem to have enough of the ingredients that I'm comfortable dismissing the genre.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That was the argument Alan Moore was making in Watchmen. "If you give over authority to a bunch of costumed superheroes, they're going to either turn into fascists or expose their latent fascistic tendencies and lose touch with humanity".

Unfortunately the lesson that comic writers took from it was "cool dark superheroes are cool".

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Shane Dawson also used to do frequent blackface back in his “YouTube sketch comedian” days. He’s a massive piece of poo poo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/shanedawson/status/1949938124

oh

oh no

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Actually, the argument is more "superhero movies are generally about how the established order is incapable of dealing with muslims immigrants terrifying external threats, so we need a strong dictator superhero who is given free reign to work outside existing law to save us"

Yeah, I suppose if you ignore what the movies are about and make up fascist propaganda in your head, then they are pretty fascist

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'd say its more libertarian / anarchist than fascist.

Almost all comic superheroes are vigilantes, which means they're not part of the authority, so not fascist.

There are exceptions though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jobson groeth posted:

How is this person not in prison?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:stonk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1107648424814567426

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t believe this guy hosed his cat, simply because I don’t believe anyone can truly own a cat. I think he probably hosed an cat though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Actually, the argument is more "superhero movies are generally about how the established order is incapable of dealing with muslims immigrants terrifying external threats, so we need a strong dictator superhero who is given free reign to work outside existing law to save us", as well as the whole machismo strength worship that's a core tenet of fascism. I'm less interested in 50s superhero comics than contemporary superhero movies, so "but the creators of [superhero] were Jewish, they can't possibly be fascist!" isn't a compelling argument to me.

I'm not saying that every superhero movie has every element I mentioned, but from the ones I've managed to stomach they seem to have enough of the ingredients that I'm comfortable dismissing the genre.

This is also what made Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series so disturbing after the fact. "The only way to fight terrorism is to have a group of people that aren't held back by stupid political rules do what needs to be done" veers a little too close to Boomers whining about how we were only a few war crimes away from winning the Vietnam War.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Golden Age Superman was the poo poo he was constantly beating up slum lords and white collar criminals for exploiting people to gain a buck.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Panfilo posted:

This is also what made Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series so disturbing after the fact. "The only way to fight terrorism is to have a group of people that aren't held back by stupid political rules do what needs to be done" veers a little too close to Boomers whining about how we were only a few war crimes away from winning the Vietnam War.

After reading some books about the war. The US couldn't have won the war even if they could teleport the entire US armed forces (including national and coastguard) into the country with free reigns.

Like the US had periods were Nixon just went nuts and bombed everything and it didn't even slow down North Vietnam. Despite what movies would have us believe. North Vietnam was a formidable military force with tanks and poo poo. Not just random peasants in straw hats hiding in the shrubbery.

Katt has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Mar 18, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

"Some superhero moves have fascist tendencies and I don't care enough to sort through them to find the Good Ones" is not the same as "superheroes are inherently fascist", hth.

(Also, the former position - yours - is immensely more defensible.)

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Peanut Butler posted:

lol I hate that I know this but thats shmorky's ex

Yeah it is, unless there's another conspiracy nut out there with that name.

Big yikes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

While we're here, a lot of young men's manga seem a bit will-to-power-y to me.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd say its more libertarian / anarchist than fascist.

Almost all comic superheroes are vigilantes, which means they're not part of the authority, so not fascist.

There are exceptions though.

They're presenting an alternative to current social structures (democracy, which is inefficient and corrupt), and that alternative is to have unelected, unaccountable superheroes crush and smash all the bad people. They might not literally be heads of state, but by virtue of their powers they have an enormous amount of control (might makes right, another fascist idea). Of course, the heroes always use their powers for good, which helps normalize the attitude that "if we only had one strong hero figure who could drain the swamp fix all our problems without the annoying bureaucracy, we'd be better off". And don't even get me started on the idea that certain people, often by virtue of their ancestry or immense wealth, are naturally stronger and more fit to lead than others (notice how the public in these movies are often portrayed as stupid and incompetent masses who don't know what's best for them).

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, I suppose if you ignore what the movies are about and make up fascist propaganda in your head, then they are pretty fascist

So what are the movies "about" then?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Katt posted:

Like the US had periods were Nixon just went nuts and bombed everything and it didn't even slow down North Vietnam. Despite what movies would have us believe. North Vietnam was a formidable military force with tanks and poo poo. Not just random peasants in straw hats hiding in the shrubbery.

north vietnam did have a stout, modern military force provided by russian and chinese aid, but the united states had the military capacity to wreck north vietnam. we did do that, with terrible repeated bombing of civilian areas

the war was unwinnable because the united states positioned itself as defending the sovereignty of south vietnam, which was itself a puppet state set up to support an unpopular government to block vietnamese independence. nobody wanted south vietnam, the majority of vietnamese who lived in the south didn't support their own externally imposed government. since america was lying to itself about the war and how it could be won, the north vietnamese army just had to outlast american willingness to fight, and since the vietnamese were fighting for their own right to self determination and the americans were fighting because ??? communism i guess?? it was an inevitable loss for america, as the very question of "why are we in this war" was nearly unanswerable

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They're presenting an alternative to current social structures (democracy, which is inefficient and corrupt), and that alternative is to have unelected, unaccountable superheroes crush and smash all the bad people. They might not literally be heads of state, but by virtue of their powers they have an enormous amount of control (might makes right, another fascist idea). Of course, the heroes always use their powers for good, which helps normalize the attitude that "if we only had one strong hero figure who could drain the swamp fix all our problems without the annoying bureaucracy, we'd be better off". And don't even get me started on the idea that certain people, often by virtue of their ancestry or immense wealth, are naturally stronger and more fit to lead than others (notice how the public in these movies are often portrayed as stupid and incompetent masses who don't know what's best for them).

Are you one of those people who's just always on and incapable of being entertained by anything without ranting about how it's secretly evil?

Here's a tip: the guys who like the movie where Captain America turns against the government because it's secretly infiltrated by Nazis probably aren't the ones supporting Trump.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8tpYr_cJo

pictured: fascist propaganda

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah well that actor that stood up also played Himmler in Man in the High Castle so if you look at it at the way that makes my argument true, actually the movie is saying that Himmler should be agreed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you one of those people who's just always on and incapable of being entertained by anything without ranting about how it's secretly evil?

It's possible to like something and still take issue with the messages it's sending.