Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Syfe posted:

I contend that there should be a maximum wage, and also that worker wage is then tied to how much the CEO makes, so if your CEO makes x amount more, every employee must make x amount more too. If the company is doing well, everybody should benefit goddamnit.

There needs to be something other than the vacuum to the top with many companies not even bothering to reinvest into the company itself. (I'm actually somewhat lucky in that the company I work for, does reinvest in it's workers and structure somewhat, but this is also a first for my employment history.)

Some proposals I've seen for maximum wage tie it directly to the income of the lowest worker in the company. So to use a random number, no one in the company can make more than 20 times the lowest wage. Then if you're employing someone at minimum wage, $15/hour, ~30k a year, no one in the company can make more than $300/hour or ~600k a year. If the people at the top want to give themselves raises, they have to also give the people at the bottom raises.

Of course actually enforcing this policy would be insanely difficult because of all the accounting tricks big corporations use. Oh whoops it turns out our lowest-paid workers are actually all freelancers working for Taskrabbit, and also our CEO is paid entirely in charitable contributions and the CFO's wage is stock options but because our stock is currently listed on the Dublin Stock Exchange and the value of our company is negative because of all the debt we took on, that means the CFO is actually paying to work here, and don't pay any attention to the offshore bank accounts registered to a numbered holding company that happens to gain a billion dollars every quarter.

It's much simpler to just socialize the ownership of the corporation and let the workers themselves decide who should get paid how much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Some proposals I've seen for maximum wage tie it directly to the income of the lowest worker in the company. So to use a random number, no one in the company can make more than 20 times the lowest wage. Then if you're employing someone at minimum wage, $15/hour, ~30k a year, no one in the company can make more than $300/hour or ~600k a year. If the people at the top want to give themselves raises, they have to also give the people at the bottom raises.

Of course actually enforcing this policy would be insanely difficult because of all the accounting tricks big corporations use. Oh whoops it turns out our lowest-paid workers are actually all freelancers working for Taskrabbit, and also our CEO is paid entirely in charitable contributions and the CFO's wage is stock options but because our stock is currently listed on the Dublin Stock Exchange and the value of our company is negative because of all the debt we took on, that means the CFO is actually paying to work here, and don't pay any attention to the offshore bank accounts registered to a numbered holding company that happens to gain a billion dollars every quarter.

It's much simpler to just socialize the ownership of the corporation and let the workers themselves decide who should get paid how much.

Yes, this is exactly what needs to happen.

Also, sadly that same coworker who lost the benefits of OHIP+, likes to argue with me about minimum wage going up, because she doesn't get a raise when it goes up but claims she has to bear the costs society throws for increasing prices.

It's really hard to try to explain to her to shove it because everybody deserves a living wage if that's all we're fighting for even, when she trembles because, honestly, yeah as a family of four, they actually struggle in their situation despite okay jobs. She makes more than me because she's been there longer. But it's just sad to see somebody fight raising the minimum wage for their own sake on the fight to the middle class. Like it's not quite the governments fault that the private company didn't raise your wages in response to the minwage increase. They should, and there should be a law for it. But then fight for that rather than just making GBS threads up about people poorer than you having a fair chance.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 17, 2019

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Wouldn't it be better to make it maximum compensation rather than maximum wage? That way it gathers up securities like stock options, bonuses, and everything, which are the actual things that make these people the most money.

e: Oh and also the total elimination of contract employment.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it seems like it would be simpler just to raise income taxes and capital gains taxes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Syfe posted:

I contend that there should be a maximum wage(which could maybe be tied to company profits, ergo it can raise and so do employee wages, but there has to be some other use for money than just allowing it to goto rich fucks. While right now a worker might a one-time bonus if the company does well, not even a raise), and also that worker wage is then tied to how much the CEO makes, so if your CEO makes x amount more, every employee must make x amount more too. If the company is doing well, everybody should benefit goddamnit.

There needs to be something other than the vacuum to the top with many companies not even bothering to reinvest into the company itself. (I'm actually somewhat lucky in that the company I work for, does reinvest in it's workers and structure somewhat, but this is also a first for my employment history.)

edit: sorry for the ranty quality of this post.

This is like saying that you want to raise a Bengal Tiger to have a vegetarian diet. I just don't think you can take a contemporary capitalist organization, tweak one or two rules, and suddenly produce a socially conscious and equitable vehicle for wealth redistribution.

This is something that the read really doesn't like to engage with but the deep problems of capitalism come from the social structure of our workplaces, not the electoral system. It's the relationships between bosses and workers that structures our system not the relationship between voters and politicians. Without fundamentally changing the inner culture and structure of our big corporations I do not think you could ever achieve any substantial changes to the distribution of wealth in society.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Helsing posted:

This is like saying that you want to raise a Bengal Tiger to have a vegetarian diet. I just don't think you can take a contemporary capitalist organization, tweak one or two rules, and suddenly produce a socially conscious and equitable vehicle for wealth redistribution.

This is something that the read really doesn't like to engage with but the deep problems of capitalism come from the social structure of our workplaces, not the electoral system. It's the relationships between bosses and workers that structures our system not the relationship between voters and politicians. Without fundamentally changing the inner culture and structure of our big corporations I do not think you could ever achieve any substantial changes to the distribution of wealth in society.

Just because it isn't currently compatible with what we have doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored. We know co-ops exist, we know companies can become crown corporations. All sorts of poo poo. I don't know how or when we'll get rid of or heavily modify capitalism, whenever the straw breaks the camels back fully.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

You need some catchy terms to explain this, like, I dunno, just throwing this out there, base and superstructure.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
crown corporations and the government itself still retains a capitalist structure of workers, bosses, and ideas about renumeration tied to performance of those at the top of the pyramid scheme

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Yeah basically you can change the rules of the game of capitalism a bit, but the game still is and always will be making profit off of the unpaid labour of some one. That fact means that even though we can't imagine or spectate what they will be, efficiencies and externalities will be found elsewhere to circumvent the intention of regulation, creating disparity.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Judging by the number of people that should be retired, I now see working minimum wage jobs, I suspect the lowering/status quo for minimum wage might not be the right wing vote winner everyone thinks it is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ocrumsprug posted:

Judging by the number of people that should be retired, I now see working minimum wage jobs, I suspect the lowering/status quo for minimum wage might not be the right wing vote winner everyone thinks it is.

You underestimate just how much right wing voters are willing to die in order to make someone else's life worse

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Danaru posted:

You underestimate just how much right wing voters are willing to die in order to make someone else's life worse

Plus if they're in that situation, it's temporary and due to bad luck in their minds anyway.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I could see any of the major parties coupling a universal basic income with slashing/removing the minimum wage. Sounds like a perfect Liberal platform plank: vaguely progressive-seeming until you think about it for a minute, by which point it’s too late.

utofukoku
Feb 13, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
This is ChairMaster, posting from the account I made shortly after my old one got permabanned. I'm just posting in here because I'm going to be dead pretty soon and I want to tell you stupid fuckers off one last time since I didn't get the chance before.

PT6A I genuinely hope you die in a plane crash, your beliefs are reprehensible and you not only don't give a poo poo about people less fortunate than yourself but actively help to make their lives worse. My absence will not be felt by anyone in any positive or negative way, but the world would genuinely be better off without you. I don't know why people in this thread think you're any better than you were when you were a capital C Conservative, the only difference between then and now is that you're smart enough to pretend like you're not a disgusting monster but still support all the same horrible poo poo you always did.

That goes for all the other people in this thread like you, including jordan7whatever, Clam Down (even though I don't think he posts here anymore since I started making fun of his weird obsession with me), and especially Postess, probably the worst person in this thread by a wide margin.

bunnyofdoom you pathetic loving twat, I'm not the one who doxxed you and if CI did it he probably would have said so now that he's permabanned anyways. Just because we're the only two people who gave you the poo poo you deserve for helping a right-wing government win a majority and gently caress over everyone in this country who needs help doesn't mean that we give enough of a poo poo about you to bother trying to figure out your real name. Also if it was me I'd definitely do it again now that I'm permabanned anyways and going to be dead soon.

zapples you are one of the stupidest people on the loving planet and if you're not like 23 or something then I sincerely hope you are somehow disenfranchised and unable to vote and contribute your stupidity to society at large. Considering the age of your account, chances are that you're too old to grow out of being a complete moron.

Helsing and baronjutter and the other few posters in this thread that aren't garbage people, I don't really know why you bother. I think you know as well as I do that it's a hopeless waste of time to try to get Canadians to give a poo poo about making this country better or showing some loving political dignity or thinking critically about anything in the world at all, but you don't ever seem to really care that strongly, or at least show that you do. I don't know if it's just the ever present pathetic Canadian politeness and "decorum" that infests our society or what, but I don't really get it. Good luck I guess.

I'm not killing myself because of politics or because of the people in this thread that used to tell me to kill myself all the time, if anyone's curious they can read through my posts in the e/n chat thread.

I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that a lot of you are going to starve when the government sells you out to whoever takes charge of this pathetic place in the next few decades when the powerful nations of the world start to feel the squeeze of climate change induced crises, and it's too bad that I won't be around to see it. I know nobody really cares, but goodbye nonetheless.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 18, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Reading that has made me incredibly sad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ChairMaster I know you probably won't read this but I really hope you don't kill yourself.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

If anyone knows anything about CM in real life, please let me know.

Mar 18, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

utofukoku posted:

This is ChairMaster, posting from the account I made shortly after my old one got permabanned. I'm just posting in here because I'm going to be dead pretty soon and I want to tell you stupid fuckers off one last time since I didn't get the chance before.

PT6A I genuinely hope you die in a plane crash, your beliefs are reprehensible and you not only don't give a poo poo about people less fortunate than yourself but actively help to make their lives worse. My absence will not be felt by anyone in any positive or negative way, but the world would genuinely be better off without you. I don't know why people in this thread think you're any better than you were when you were a capital C Conservative, the only difference between then and now is that you're smart enough to pretend like you're not a disgusting monster but still support all the same horrible poo poo you always did.

That goes for all the other people in this thread like you, including jordan7whatever, Clam Down (even though I don't think he posts here anymore since I started making fun of his weird obsession with me), and especially Postess, probably the worst person in this thread by a wide margin.

bunnyofdoom you pathetic loving twat, I'm not the one who doxxed you and if CI did it he probably would have said so now that he's permabanned anyways. Just because we're the only two people who gave you the poo poo you deserve for helping a right-wing government win a majority and gently caress over everyone in this country who needs help doesn't mean that we give enough of a poo poo about you to bother trying to figure out your real name. Also if it was me I'd definitely do it again now that I'm permabanned anyways and going to be dead soon.

zapples you are one of the stupidest people on the loving planet and if you're not like 23 or something then I sincerely hope you are somehow disenfranchised and unable to vote and contribute your stupidity to society at large. Considering the age of your account, chances are that you're too old to grow out of being a complete moron.

Helsing and baronjutter and the other few posters in this thread that aren't garbage people, I don't really know why you bother. I think you know as well as I do that it's a hopeless waste of time to try to get Canadians to give a poo poo about making this country better or showing some loving political dignity or thinking critically about anything in the world at all, but you don't ever seem to really care that strongly, or at least show that you do. I don't know if it's just the ever present pathetic Canadian politeness and "decorum" that infests our society or what, but I don't really get it. Good luck I guess.

I'm not killing myself because of politics or because of the people in this thread that used to tell me to kill myself all the time, if anyone's curious they can read through my posts in the e/n chat thread.

I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that a lot of you are going to starve when the government sells you out to whoever takes charge of this pathetic place in the next few decades when the powerful nations of the world start to feel the squeeze of climate change induced crises, and it's too bad that I won't be around to see it. I know nobody really cares, but goodbye nonetheless.

Did anyone report this to the mods yet? Pretty sure the police could get his name from an IP and try to trace his phone and find him before its too late.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

536 posted:

Did anyone report this to the mods yet? Pretty sure the police could get his name from an IP and try to trace his phone and find him before its too late.

R guyovich already banned a guy in e/n for being a shitbird to CM in the thread he posted there. Sounds like the mods are on it

Hopefully you're alright CM

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

536 posted:

The administration team knows and has contacted the relevant PD and reached out to goons in the area.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
loving hell. :cripes:

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I hope someone was able to find CM before he followed through. :(

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

As a dude who endured a few years of pretty strong ideation... you don’t have to do this. You’re never too har gone.

Come back and shitpost from your alt, CM.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
ChairMaster please don’t kill yourself. I’m crying. I liked you. I was suicidal once, I know how it is. Don’t leave yet.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
:{

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I feel like everyone on this forum is a suicidally depressed alcoholic. Take care y'all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

Sometimes I feel like everyone on this forum is a suicidally depressed alcoholic. Take care y'all

Not me! I’m actually doing well enough these days that I’m working my way off my anti-depressants.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
ChairMaster, don’t go through with it. Stick around.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

utofukoku posted:

If you want to talk, I'll be here all night: https://discord.gg/TBJCND

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
mod edit: my dude this is an exceedingly bad post

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
edit: really don't suggest pushing this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
For the obtuse: this thread is under admin scrutiny for obvious reasons. There is no point trying to have a discussion about the merits of that, in the thread. It is both unhelpful and pointless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chair has objectively correct opinions, just filtered through severe rage and depression. I want him to fee better and keep posting.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Hope they found him in time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If anyone has any personal info about Chairmaster that would help, please pm any mod asap. Or if anyone knows who "croswell" is. Thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hope they found him in time.

Yeah. I never really agreed with him but the common refrain was always “get off your computer and go see a therapist” for a reason. None of us ever meant bad by him, he just needed something we couldn’t give. Hope he gets help. :smith:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
nm

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 18, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Having been before where Chairmaster has been stuck mentally for years, and having tried to kill myself back in 2015, I sincerely hope someone managed to intervene in time or that he himself backed down at the last minute.

I feel bad, because I have flippantly remarked to other goons recently that he was posting like me four years ago, without thinking about why I used to post like that. I also didn't realize he was in BC, I thought he was back east. :smith:.

These forums are a sincerely unhealthy place for anyone suffering from depression or mental illness.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey Chairmaster we've clashed in this thread for years on my older accounts but sincerely, do not take your life. I care.