Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's this. Up until very recently people generally lived very close to where they worked often in the same building. The smith's house was also probably his shop so if you needed a new tool made you just paid him a visit.

That worked because there was like, lifelong hereditary professions. You lived in the house your father built doing the job he did, changing jobs is something you'd maybe do once in your life and it'd be a big deal if you ever changed at all. I think everyone wishes there was more job stability in the modern world, but I don't think most people would want to live above the mcdonalds and move every time they switched jobs. There is only a small segment of the population that does or even wants to just keep the same job for 20 years. People are mobile and will move for jobs but probably aren't going to want to be pulling their kids out of school literally every single time they work at a different target or switch companies for website design or whatever. Anyone that owns a blacksmithery is probably still sticking in one job forever, but no one else can or wants to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Insanite posted:

Say I’m in a neighborhood of two- and three- story multifamily homes in a streetcar suburb. I’ve lived here for a decade or two, I have kids in the school system, and I love the feel and routine of where I live.

Why shouldn’t I feel anxious about, for example, zoning changes that would permit large, tall apartment buildings from being erected on all sides of my home? How do you sell that to me?
It's basically the same as selling a homeless shelter or halfway house.

You shouldn't have to sell it to that particular neighborhood, because each neighborhood will naturally fight to push those things into other neighborhoods or cities. That's why these things should be planned at the regional level (or higher), so that you don't get random areas vetoing poo poo that needs to get done.

In practice that kind of behavior means rich neighborhoods are untouched and poor neighborhoods get all of the 'undesirable' elements, because shocker of shockers, the rich neighborhoods have more political power. Community input is good, but only so far. Part of why gentrification/displacement of poor people in poor neighborhoods is such an issue is that we're so scared of touching SFH-only neighborhoods where the affluent live that all the increased housing density goes elsewhere.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 18, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Insanite posted:

Say I’m in a neighborhood of two- and three- story multifamily homes in a streetcar suburb. I’ve lived here for a decade or two, I have kids in the school system, and I love the feel and routine of where I live.

Why shouldn’t I feel anxious about, for example, zoning changes that would permit large, tall apartment buildings from being erected on all sides of my home? How do you sell that to me?

That you can build dense buildings that don't compromise the feel of the neighborhood. Why not build a 20 unit apartment building that is three stories? This will bring business to your area and keep your taxes lower as the property that just was built will add to property tax levies. And, most importantly, without housing homeless situations get worse.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Cicero posted:

It's basically the same as selling a homeless shelter or halfway house.

You shouldn't have to sell it to that particular neighborhood, because each neighborhood will naturally fight to push those things into other neighborhoods or cities. That's why these things should be planned at the regional level (or higher), so that you don't get random areas vetoing poo poo that needs to get done.

In practice that kind of behavior means rich neighborhoods are untouched and poor neighborhoods get all of the 'undesirable' elements, because shocker of shockers, the rich neighborhoods have more political power. Community input is good, but only so far. Part of why gentrification/displacement of poor people in poor neighborhoods is such an issue is that we're so scared of touching SFH-only neighborhoods where the affluent live that all the increased housing density goes elsewhere.

I'd probably join up with an obnoxious civic group to block these regional changes, in this case. You're trying to bumrush my neighborhood, and I've seen how your types derisively call me a racist NIMBY in other discussion venues. :colbert:

Mooseontheloose posted:

That you can build dense buildings that don't compromise the feel of the neighborhood. Why not build a 20 unit apartment building that is three stories? This will bring business to your area and keep your taxes lower as the property that just was built will add to property tax levies. And, most importantly, without housing homeless situations get worse.

My hypothetical neighborhood feels pretty dense already. Say we've achieved 16k+ people per sq mi thanks to small lots, row houses, triple deckers, etc. I'm okay with small apartment buildings--we already even have a few--but developers are proposing much larger buildings the next neighborhood over, and I fear that mine is next. We already have plenty of businesses in my city. Our tax base is doing just fine. Is it wrong for me to have anxiety about this?

(Something I'm trying to think through is when anxiety about densification is 'okay' and when it is not. I actually do live in a really dense streetcar suburb, and our zoning changes at the moment are limited mostly to eliminating parking minimums near mass transit. No one except the bleeding edge of YIMBYs here are for total zoning deregulation.)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Insanite posted:

I'd probably join up with an obnoxious civic group to block these regional changes, in this case. You're trying to bumrush my neighborhood, and I've seen how your types derisively call me a racist NIMBY in other discussion venues. :colbert:
Yeah, probably, just like this demographic would fight, say, public housing in their neighborhood to the death. They don't want those people around, and while some are moderate enough to where pleas for compassion and The Greater Good may win them over, others are just selfish assholes that have to be worked around. You can't convince everyone.

quote:

My hypothetical neighborhood feels pretty dense already. Say we've achieved 16k+ people per sq mi thanks to small lots, row houses, triple deckers, etc. I'm okay with small apartment buildings--we already even have a few--but developers are proposing much larger buildings the next neighborhood over, and I fear that mine is next. We already have plenty of businesses in my city. Our tax base is doing just fine. Is it wrong for me to have anxiety about this?
In America this is an extreme edge case, as 16k+/sq mi suburbs are a rarity. Like, that density level is a bit higher than Boston proper, and a bit lower than SF proper.

quote:

(Something I'm trying to think through is when anxiety about densification is 'okay' and when it is not. I actually do live in a really dense streetcar suburb, and our zoning changes at the moment are limited mostly to eliminating parking minimums near mass transit. No one except the bleeding edge of YIMBYs here are for total zoning deregulation.)
My personal view is: metro areas should accommodate population increases by steadily allowing more people via zoning. These should generally be incremental changes spread out as much as possible, rather than intense changes in small areas.

The argument for why we should accommodate people moving around is basically twofold: first, it's fundamentally American to allow freedom of movement, and blocking people from coming in by intentionally keeping an area expensive is un-American. Yes, you're never going to make every single area perfectly affordable for everyone, just like you're never going to stop every murder, but that doesn't mean you stop striving for the ideal. Second, it makes sense at a societal level to let people move where the economy is booming (which is generally why a place is growing rapidly). If an industry is successful in an area and is offering lots of good jobs, then telling people and companies that they should just try to duplicate it elsewhere, where it's currently not happening, is deeply stupid. I mean, if they want to try that too, fine, but you shouldn't force the issue by blocking them from the successful area.

Also SFH-only neighborhoods shouldn't exist, at a minimum small apartment complexes and townhomes and 4-plexes should be allowed everywhere, SFH-only neighborhoods are gated communities backed by the government, which is absurd. The government should not be using its resources to fund economic segregation.

quote:

No one except the bleeding edge of YIMBYs here are for total zoning deregulation.
Basically no YIMBYs want to actually get rid of zoning entirely.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a major source of NIMBYism is that land use decisions are often left up to the free market (within constraints) but transportation networks to support land uses are firmly a governmental decision, and thus the two systems develop out of synch with each other and one often has to catch up to the other. this generates traffic issues and other friction from development which seems ill advised because the effects of development shake out on a much longer timescale than on which people get annoyed at changes in neighborhood character

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That's a major concern of mine, yeah. It seems impossible to plan things out smartly without governments taking a more active role in urban development.

Cicero posted:

In America this is an extreme edge case, as 16k+/sq mi suburbs are a rarity. Like, that density level is a bit higher than Boston proper, and a bit lower than SF proper.

This actually sort of describes where I live (we're at 18k per sqmi, and without any tall buildings).

A weird side effect of living in an ultra-progressive, developer-friendly outlier city is that we're crawling forward on necessary zoning reforms, but many of our neighbors aren't. Capital swoops in to build high-end structures as it can, poor people increasingly have nowhere to go, and our neighbor cities continue to do nothing to address the housing crisis.

Regional planning and regulation would be swell.

e: My gut says that this is why a lot of American 'urbanists' fetishize skyscrapers so much. You're not going to see a brilliant regional plan put into action anywhere--the best you might get is a big rear end building plopped down (that serves private interests first).

Insanite fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 18, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the sanctity of home rule and lack of effective regional planning is one of the cornerstones of Why American Cities Are Bad. it doesn't help that this is useful for both developers seeking to get buddy buddy with powerful local officials, as well as home rule being generally popular as a shortcut to enforce racial segregation

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Insanite posted:

e: My gut says that this is why a lot of American 'urbanists' fetishize skyscrapers so much.
I dunno where you've been reading urbanist opinions but I haven't really seen this. Like, they're certainly okay with skyscrapers and want them in certain areas, but they also want medium-density buildings (spread throughout a larger area) as much if not more.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I don't have a spreadsheet or anything. Just around over the years, for the most part--and if not always skyscrapers, then certainly big, girthy buildings.

You've seriously never seen heard or read folks calling row houses and triple-deckers insufficiently dense or ambitious?

e: Like, isn't this one of the things that Ed Glaeser's been banging on about for years?

And certainly ending or relaxing height limits are a thing, with just what is appropriate in the end to be left up to local conditions and the wants of the private sector.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 18, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cicero posted:

I dunno where you've been reading urbanist opinions but I haven't really seen this. Like, they're certainly okay with skyscrapers and want them in certain areas, but they also want medium-density buildings (spread throughout a larger area) as much if not more.

This is kind of my impression too. I don't recall reading anyone getting excited about skyscrapers recently.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Insanite posted:

I don't have a spreadsheet or anything. Just around over the years, for the most part--and if not always skyscrapers, then certainly big, girthy buildings.

You've seriously never seen heard or read folks calling row houses and triple-deckers insufficiently dense or ambitious?

e: Like, isn't this one of the things that Ed Glaeser's been banging on about for years?

And certainly ending or relaxing height limits are a thing, with just what is appropriate in the end to be left up to local conditions and the wants of the private sector.

In the vast majority of Americans urban land row houses and triple deckers barely exist so I’ve definitely seen more fetishizing of those forms in particular than I have of skyscrapers

Like in a lot of places “relaxing height limits” could mean going up to like 60 feet

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

But row houses are cool and should be fetishized. :colbert:

Fair on 60', though I live in one of the densest little cities in America and we have vanishingly few buildings that are that tall. Thinking of here as an example, I don't think that allowing higher construction across the board without some regional coordination would be great for us.

In the end and forever, I guess I'm frustrated with development being so atomized and driven by private interests.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Insanite posted:

I have, but it doesn't seem like a consensus opinion, and usually what they're pushing is low-rise or mid-rise at most, not skyscrapers. There's a LOT of room between single-family homes and skyscrapers.

quote:

And the public sector. We ought to have much more public/social housing than we currently do.

Badger of Basra posted:

In the vast majority of Americans urban land row houses and triple deckers barely exist so I’ve definitely seen more fetishizing of those forms in particular than I have of skyscrapers

Like in a lot of places “relaxing height limits” could mean going up to like 60 feet
I'm not sure what "fetishizing" even means in this context. The US is desperately low on dense housing forms. It's entirely reasonable for people to push for more. Would anyone here say that leftists are 'fetishizing' public housing because they want a shitton more of it?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Insanite posted:

Thinking of here as an example, I don't think that allowing higher construction across the board without some regional coordination would be great for us.

Which is kind of the exact problem. As long as you and everyone else are just looking out for themselves the result will bad decisions for society as a whole. You might even be right, but that doesn't get you out of the prisoner's dilemma.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Squalid posted:

Which is kind of the exact problem. As long as you and everyone else are just looking out for themselves the result will bad decisions for society as a whole. You might even be right, but that doesn't get you out of the prisoner's dilemma.

I guess I wouldn't call "resisting capital turning every inch of my little city into a smart investment vehicle" a bad decision.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Squalid posted:

He's right though that regional coordination is the answer here. Transportation and housing should both be decided primarily at the region/metro area level. It's close enough to take local concerns into account, while avoiding most of the problem of "some other city/neighborhood take the growth".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah there's really nothing wrong with looking out for your own best interests so long as the primary driver of neighborhood change is speculators looking to obtain private profit

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

That's where I'm at, yeah.

Like, someone unveils a Greater Boston regional compact that means green, gorgeous, efficient, transit-oriented urban development? Awesome. I'm on board.

The status quo, though, or something even a little more libertarian than that? Less on board.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Insanite posted:

I guess I wouldn't call "resisting capital turning every inch of my little city into a smart investment vehicle" a bad decision.

Presuming your city is in the United States it is already that.

Cicero posted:

He's right though that regional coordination is the answer here. Transportation and housing should both be decided primarily at the region/metro area level. It's close enough to take local concerns into account, while avoiding most of the problem of "some other city/neighborhood take the growth".

That's the point of the reference to the prisoner's dilemma. In this analogy the local governments are the prisoners, and the way out of the dilemma is regional coordination. Insanite might be right that blocking local development is a good decision for himself. However if everyone makes that same decision simultaneously the result is bad for everyone. Anyone unilaterally trying to change course will end up bearing the costs for the selfish and self interested.

We all benefit from development. It's just we'd prefer that all the related costs be borne by somebody else. Unless we can force everyone to share the burden, its just natural that people are going to try and free ride or push the burden onto people who can't defend themselves.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Squalid posted:

Presuming your city is in the United States it is already that.

Not true. We have thousands of inches of public housing and CLT-managed homes.

But yes, everything sucks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

Seems like anywhere you put undesirable things would become an undesirable neighborhood. Seems like you could mandate putting stuff into nice neighborhoods but it'd be hard to mandate it stay that way. The pork rendering plant and the paper mill are always going to be in the poorest part of town, regardless of if it started that way or not.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seems like anywhere you put undesirable things would become an undesirable neighborhood. Seems like you could mandate putting stuff into nice neighborhoods but it'd be hard to mandate it stay that way. The pork rendering plant and the paper mill are always going to be in the poorest part of town, regardless of if it started that way or not.
Bringing in industrial uses as examples to this discussion is stupid. Nobody wants to change the part of zoning that separates heavy industry from homes.

As for homeless shelters and the like, to a certain extent that's true, which is why you should spread such buildings throughout a city, the same way you do desirable ones. Plus, with more higher density zoning, the distinction between richer vs poorer neighborhoods becomes blurrier to begin with. Living in Munich, unlike basically every US city I've been to, it's actually challenging to tell how rich or poor most neighborhoods here are. Almost all of them just seem kind of middling.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Insanite posted:

Problem is that this is effectively the status quo in many thriving metro areas, whether development is going on or not. A significant number of the single family homes in my city have been purchased as "investments", with the owners then actively fighting any new multi-family development that would threaten to alleviate pressure on the market for homes. While a number of these property owners aren't the ultra-rich by any means, they are still exploiting the system for their own private gain at the expense of all those looking to find affordable homes in the city.

I also agree with others in the thread that I've never heard urbanist circles really push skyscrapers—there's instead a massive focus on the "missing middle" (duplexes, rowhouses, 5-story apartment buildings). Some even go further and fetishize a city like Paris, without accounting for it actually being an example of the poor being priced out of the city proper by strict height and aesthetic restrictions (and an unhealthy dose of anti-African and anti-Arab racism). We need to enable and provide construction for what the population needs to have easy, environmentally-friendly access to employment and culture, not hold it to an arbitrary standard.

And, again as mentioned above, we need governments to act on a city-wide or even metro-wide basis to ensure the rich and influential living in homogeneous neighborhoods don't have the ability to carve out an enclave for themselves at the expense of others.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

I also agree with others in the thread that I've never heard urbanist circles really push skyscrapers—there's instead a massive focus on the "missing middle" (duplexes, rowhouses, 5-story apartment buildings). Some even go further and fetishize a city like Paris, without accounting for it actually being an example of the poor being priced out of the city proper by strict height and aesthetic restrictions

paris is beautiful as hell. problem is, you need a literal dictator to hand over absolute control of site planning and eminent domain to an aesthetics obsessed architect-tyrant

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cicero posted:

Bringing in industrial uses as examples to this discussion is stupid. Nobody wants to change the part of zoning that separates heavy industry from homes.

Clearly it wouldn't be as extreme as a papermill, but there has to be more to a plan in the long term than just building unpleasant stuff in high income areas and pleasant stuff in low income areas since (rich) people can relatively easily move.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

luxury handset posted:

paris is beautiful as hell. problem is, you need a literal dictator to hand over absolute control of site planning and eminent domain to an aesthetics obsessed architect-tyrant
Definitely. I'm not saying that Paris isn't gorgeous, just that freezing the city core in time without sufficiently addressing the adverse effects on disadvantaged groups has caused real harm, both to the affected populations and to the legitimacy of the government in the eyes of the broader French public. Point was that cities should be allowed to evolve to meet the needs of all those that hope to live and work in them.

That's just my glancing impression from living in the country for two years, at least. Definitely welcome any actual français ou françaises pointing out holes in my understanding of the Parisian banlieues.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
at this point haussman paris is an essential part of the city's economy. it would be like knocking down the statue of liberty to build projects. so long as paris can keep the outlying suburbs from falling apart (they aren't keeping this from happening) then it's fine to keep the city core intact

i mean, this is a bit much and all, if you're going to start putting up dense new development there's no reason to tear down irreplaceable cultural heritage to do it

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Build Peach Trees Mega blocks, gently caress NIMBYs

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
There's more to promoting density than simply building type or height as well. Japan has tons and tons of SFH neighborhoods that are dense enough to support public transit. Mandatory setbacks and insanely massive road widths contribute to sprawl as much as limiting building height. Quiet residential side roads in modern American suburbs have almost the same width as major thoroughfares do in a lot of Japanese cities (or even older cities in the Northeast)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is room for a middle ground between single-family homes and tower blocks, but at the end of the day, the issue is very much how modern American cities are constructed. At the end of the day, American cities almost certainly need tens if not hundreds of billions of infrastructure development, particularly in transportation, to get competitive on an international level. Otherwise, you get stuck increasing density with overburdened and inefficient infrastructure which will spiral into other issues.

The ultimate result will probably be a muddle but it isn't a surprise it will be a mess.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
american cities are generally expanding their own transit but given the jurisdictional/governmental hurdles in the way and the laughably small to nonexistent support provided by the federal government in the last few decades it's slow going

today, gwinnett county georgia is having a referendum on whether or not the county will join atlanta's metropolitan transit agency and it's up in the air as to how the vote will shake out. if they do approve the contract, then the other large wealthy county (cobb) will likely follow in a couple years

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.popville.com/2019/03/me...meE30nYnLL2EJdI

This is kind of a cool pilot program for traffic and buses. I am interested to see where it goes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there already bus-only lanes? Because I can't see how this would work unless the bus always happens to be the first at lights.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Are there already bus-only lanes? Because I can't see how this would work unless the bus always happens to be the first at lights.

the cheap solution means that cars moving in cohort with the bus also get preferential treatment

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
This may not be the right place to ask, but I'm in a bit of an unknown unknown situation. I'm considering a career in the vast urban planning/urban sociology/urban studies field, however, I don't really know what jobs are out there–either for the city, a non-profit, or anything. I'm in the DSA, so ideally I want to make cities and spaces more equitable. I don't have an explicit focus yet, but I'm into affordable housing and mass (preferably rail) transit.

I have a BA in Cultural Anthropology, and I'm planning on going to grad school in a few years, but I want to narrow down what I want to do so I can pick the right program.

So where should I start?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
community organizing, or something political. there's already loads of well meaning urban planners in government, it's a crowded field. what is more necessary for change are people who can organize and advocate and get voters out to enact real change. if social justice were possible to enact from bureaucracy alone we'd be well on our way by now

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

luxury handset posted:

community organizing, or something political. there's already loads of well meaning urban planners in government, it's a crowded field. what is more necessary for change are people who can organize and advocate and get voters out to enact real change. if social justice were possible to enact from bureaucracy alone we'd be well on our way by now

I work for a nonprofit that uses community organizing and advocacy/lobbying to push for better streetscape and transportation infrastructure and policies. It's extremely effective. We can claim a large part (and sometimes essentially all) of the credit for almost every cool streetscape thing the city has done in decades. We're now in a position to be directly advising policymakers on transportation policy, which makes us a lot more powerful than a single legislator with a term limit. We're far from the only urban planning org with this model.

Oh and as for the actual jobs involved - we have a staff of community organizers but if that's not appealing (and it's definitely not for everyone) there are a ton of other options. I think our head comms guy has a planning degree, we've got research positions, writing positions, etc. I'm a grant writer, and although I'm not directly doing the organizing work, I get to have some input on program planning.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 3, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

So, a bill repealing a ban on rent control is up for debate in my home state.

Landlords are against it; community justice orgs are for it. Shocking.

As I understand it, rent control is a broad category of measures (including price controls) that hamper real estate markets a bit to preserve human dignity and social capital.

The response I see most often to it is that it’s been tried in NY and CA, it’s poison, and that every economist ever disagrees with it.

From what I can see, it can suppress housing supply, but plenty of places around the world have it it varying forms and they do fine. Depending on how you implement it, it seems like stability for renters is worth the costs that it carries.

Are my instincts correct, or is my leftism blinding me to a universal economic truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rent control is not ideal as a policy mechanism as it really only benefits people who can get a rent controlled apartment and stay in it. but its difficult to pass more effective legislation so :shrug: