Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

If there's one sentence (without an obscenity) that would sum up Boris's attitude over the past three years it's "Can you cut it longer?"
Just cut your hair halfway through near the root, then lengthwise nearly to the top, and fold it out. Anything's possible with the right attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rarity posted:

The doctor thinks my bald patch is scalp ringworm so I have some pills for it. My friend has also shown me how to style around it so hopefully I'm gonna be fine.

Ah, testing the helminth immune response hypothesis yourself? How are the allergies doing?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

big scary monsters posted:

Ah, testing the helminth immune response hypothesis yourself? How are the allergies doing?

'Ringworm' isn't actually a worm, it's a fungal thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Probably, but she's dressed mental for years

Her necklace collection is facinating; you have the dalek spheres, the Marge Simpson pearls, the bike chain, the battle royale neck collar, and so on.

And then there's the Frida Kahlo bracelet she wore during that glorious trainwreck Tory conference.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Corbyn is apparently set to meet with the smaller opposition parties to form a joint-brexit front.
Idealism speaking here, but an alliance could be great if they can push for a GE after showing the public that they can (and will) work together.

One of the problems with the left being split between Labour / Lib Dem / Green was the last election where Corbyn was ruling out a rainbow alliance, despite the sheer volume of people who's voting intention is 'Please god not the Tories.' Other problem is the red tops having free reign over telling everyone what a disaster a lib/lab coalition would be, so seeing it in practice might minimise the effectiveness of the tabloid screeching.

If they went into a GE with an attitude of 'we can and will form a working coalition' it might be interesting to see how many people would vote Green / Lib Dem rather than tactically voting Labour, since the fear is a repeat of 2010 and the Lib Dems giving their votes to the loving tories again.

Also it would probably mean TIG getting hosed further into political irrelevancy. Again though, dumbest timeline, end of Event Horizon etc.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bardeh posted:

why is she wearing two coats? it looks really bloody silly

E: and why does the outer coat have such short sleeves? is it supposed to be worn like that???? wtf

The way that scarf in the top of her bag and the trim on the car are lined up it looks like she's sneaking some kind of Klingon shiv in to parliament.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

listened to the latest chapo and theres nothing like listening to a greek to turn you into a lexiter

nothing like 2 years of this nonsense to make you go into a fugue state

so yeah go on corbyn lets do lexit
we were all dying anyway

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesky Splinter posted:

Her necklace collection is facinating; you have the dalek spheres, the Marge Simpson pearls, the bike chain, the battle royale neck collar, and so on.

And then there's the Frida Kahlo bracelet she wore during that glorious trainwreck Tory conference.

You know how the Queen supposedly picks out her every piece of jewellery to send a carefully coded message and there are royal trinketry enthusiasts who lovingly track every appearance of her 1967 golliwog brooch and know that it's a snub when she wears it to the dog track because the bookie's called Robertson?

I feel like May actually puts that much thought into picking out her necklaces except nobody is trying to crack the code because no-one gives a poo poo.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I need some drug addiction advice (for a friend, honest). They've been taking methadone for a long time and are considering going to the GP and trying a) to get it legally and b) to get help to stop. But this would have serious implications for their employment and they live in a Universal Credit area. Does this sound like a good or terrible idea? Where can one get good, confidential advice about such things?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of the problems with the left being split between Labour / Lib Dem / Green

Point of order: the lib dems aren't even slightly left, they're shite arse centrists who traded away people's benefits for a 5p surcharge on plastic bags.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You know how the Queen supposedly picks out her every piece of jewellery to send a carefully coded message and there are royal trinketry enthusiasts who lovingly track every appearance of her 1967 golliwog brooch and know that it's a snub when she wears it to the dog track because the bookie's called Robertson?

I feel like May actually puts that much thought into picking out her necklaces except nobody is trying to crack the code because no-one gives a poo poo.

So what you're saying is that in no way is it an accident that the queen went to parliament dressed as the EU flag?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1107629062086971392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hentai Jihadist posted:

listened to the latest chapo and theres nothing like listening to a greek to turn you into a lexiter

I must say Varoufakis is probably unintentionally the best campaigning voice for Lexit

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Flatscan posted:

The way that scarf in the top of her bag and the trim on the car are lined up it looks like she's sneaking some kind of Klingon shiv in to parliament.

"Vote for my deal or i will slit my own throat right here" says May in dramatic speech at dispatch box

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"Vote for my deal or i will slit my own throat right here" says May in dramatic speech at dispatch box

"Final blow to May as her deal is struck down by a 400 majority, the largest in history"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

I need some drug addiction advice (for a friend, honest). They've been taking methadone for a long time and are considering going to the GP and trying a) to get it legally and b) to get help to stop. But this would have serious implications for their employment and they live in a Universal Credit area. Does this sound like a good or terrible idea? Where can one get good, confidential advice about such things?
If they're just putting feelers out then going to a pharmacy in a different area and asking to speak to the pharmacist in confidence isn't the worst option. They could at least get some advice on what's options are on the table without needing to give a name.

e: ^ That's the one thing outside an explicit vote on Irish reunification that could see SF take their seats.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh dear me posted:

It's not an area I have direct knowledge about but I don't see how word would travel from the healthcare provider to the place of employment without a breach of confidence. Is there a safeguarding reason as to why this would happen?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Idealism speaking here, but an alliance could be great if they can push for a GE after showing the public that they can (and will) work together.

One of the problems with the left being split between Labour / Lib Dem / Green was the last election where Corbyn was ruling out a rainbow alliance, despite the sheer volume of people who's voting intention is 'Please god not the Tories.' Other problem is the red tops having free reign over telling everyone what a disaster a lib/lab coalition would be, so seeing it in practice might minimise the effectiveness of the tabloid screeching.

If they went into a GE with an attitude of 'we can and will form a working coalition' it might be interesting to see how many people would vote Green / Lib Dem rather than tactically voting Labour, since the fear is a repeat of 2010 and the Lib Dems giving their votes to the loving tories again.

Also it would probably mean TIG getting hosed further into political irrelevancy. Again though, dumbest timeline, end of Event Horizon etc.

In Australia the Labor party at every state and federal election insists that they will never form a government with the greens, essentially 'it's us or not at all'.
it's a rather lovely attempt to persuade people to vote for them, but unlike the UK - Australia has preferential voting and the Greens get more than 1.5 million first-preference votes, almost all of which end up going to Labor anyway and if they do indeed form government then they couldnt have done it without greens votes.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The hostage scene from Blazing Saddles except you hope parliament calls her bluff.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

lol https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1107629062086971392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I must say Varoufakis is probably unintentionally the best campaigning voice for Lexit

im not a super big fan of his just because my left wing greek family have a really loving bad impression of him
tsipras they think was a dupe but yannis wanted to be a rockstar and ended up bluffing greece into destruction

he's basically got what he wanted and still pushes for being an international lefty rockstar economist. his analysis of the EU can be pretty good but you can see his view of the world carefully edits out that time he was like "oh well if the EU is going to play hard ball then I will play hardball back... ohh fuuuuuuuuuck!"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also one specifically and thoroughly debunked by Kropotkin in, let's see, 1892.

would love to see the gist of this if you have itn handy

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

An amendment has been tabled to remove may's deal from the bill and replace with a measure to make the throat slitting binding.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

im not a super big fan of his just because my left wing greek family have a really loving bad impression of him
tsipras they think was a dupe but yannis wanted to be a rockstar and ended up bluffing greece into destruction

he's basically got what he wanted and still pushes for being an international lefty rockstar economist. his analysis of the EU can be pretty good but you can see his view of the world carefully edits out that time he was like "oh well if the EU is going to play hard ball then I will play hardball back... ohh fuuuuuuuuuck!"

I mean from what I've heard of the situation he was like "okay time to play hardball with these fu-- Tsipras what are you doing in here and why are you holding that chlorofo--" and woke up nude outside brussels

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

call citizens advice

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doccykins posted:

Apparently the story behind Boris' new do is he went to the Commons' barbers and wasn't paying attention when she told him she didn't like him ruffling his hair on TV all the time so she'd cut it shorter, but he wasn't paying attention. When he tried to complain later she told him 'it's too loving late now'

There's a loving commons barber?!

Is there nothing we don't subsidise for these fucks?

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Is anything actually happening/being votes on today?

Or is tomorrow evening all the fun starts again?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't see how word would travel from the healthcare provider to the place of employment without a breach of confidence.

I think it's a driving issue, they'd lose their licence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Midnight- posted:

Is anything actually happening/being votes on today?

Or is tomorrow evening all the fun starts again?

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1107623461189500929

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1107623833765400583

So, Javid pretending the far right doesn't exist, the government pretending Article 50 doesn't exist, and then the government pretending Chris Grayling doesn't exist

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh dear me posted:

I think it's a driving issue, they'd lose their licence.

Ah, I never knew this happened to people on methadone.

It seems like the above board solution is to get the employer on board with the plan to get treated.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Ah, I never knew this happened to people on methadone.
Current DVLA advice is:

quote:

Your driving licence is invalid if you are on a methadone treatment programme, unless the DVLA agrees after receiving supportive medical advice. If you are involved in an accident and have not told the DVLA of your current medical condition then you may be prosecuted and your insurance may not be valid.

If you're on methadone treatment it's considered a disability, and the DVLA along with your GP can come to a conclusion; if you're not on methadone treatment and are just taking it without medical approval, it's considered drug driving.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Oh dear me posted:

TCC would probably be best equipped to tell you, they won't believe you when you say it's not you though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

reading into marx; Dialectical Materialism just seems to be woowoo for "events are caused by physical things, also things change constantly," but gussied up so if you google it instead of a short definition you get thousands of words and six different dead people giving you coy and indirect treatises on it.
its weird that marxism has a sort of spiritualism/religion attached to it but I suppose at the time it would have been opposing the christian just world stuff

also who in the marxist/anarchist tradition is enjoyable to read?
lenin seemed ok, i actually liked trotskys thing better but all I've read of them is their vague descriptions of dialectical materialism.

Hows bakunin and kropotkin? the only anarchist stuff I've read is Emma Goldman but I do think anarchism in theory is the obviously morally superior ideology
-insert that meme of marx falling down the stairs while bakunin yells at him-

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hentai Jihadist posted:

reading into marx; Dialectical Materialism just seems to be woowoo for "events are caused by physical things, also things change constantly," but gussied up so if you google it instead of a short definition you get thousands of words and six different dead people giving you coy and indirect treatises on it.
its weird that marxism has a sort of spiritualism/religion attached to it but I suppose at the time it would have been opposing the christian just world stuff

That was a novel idea when it was first written, and is still actually not well accepted, really. People love to fall back on "if only we had the right leader" and attributing changes in history to individuals rather than inexorable conflicts of circumstances outside the control of anyone. Or even on the left people like to think that they can will a revolutionary vanguard into existence and have a chance to be part of the big changing movement in the world, rather than the formation of such a thing being determined by already existing conditions rather than anything to do with willpower.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 18, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
'progressive' party alliances chat:

Here's the thing - in the 2017 GE, 5 million people more voted against the tories than for the tories. Leaving aside the 2 million UKIP (who a cursory analysis indicate go approx 2/3 to Tory and 1/3 to Labour if UKIP drop out), that is still 3 million people more voting 'leftish' of Tory than for Tory, and I'm including SNP in this (very arguably). BUT we're SPLIT amongst labour, SNP, libdems, greens, bucketheads, etc etc.

In our local town, we have quite frequent by-elections for the town council.
There is a group called Indy ("party politics has no place at town council level and we're not a political party despite having a logo and rules for our reps" and mostly they're Yummy Mummys and their husbands) who on the whole are softly left but pro-Eu but not rabid like Fubpees. Not the same as "independents" who in our town are all tories who fell out with each other.

We put up Labour candidates. The Indys put up candidates. Both campaign. But almost every time (except the last one when the local paper printed an article pointing out that the tory candidate had been a UKIPer or BNPer or some such and had written some foul stuff about immigrants so all the tories who hadn't already sent in postal votes switched to the Indy) the tory wins without doing a single bit of campaigning or leafleting and despite the fact that they only muster 1/3rd of the vote.

I have asked our branch whether we couldn't just let the Indys have the town - there's only one ward labour ever has a chance of winning and not since the Indys turned up as the vote splits - they won't stand at county level it's against their rules and most would support our candidates at that level - but the local party refuses point blank. So we do pointless campaigning for seats we won't win - which I don't think helps our image much, wears everyone out - because it's always the same handful of people who do all the canvassing, stall minding etc, and meanwhile, with the split vote, the tories just get in by default and do things like vote down extra funding for the Citizens Advice or anything that might help actual people who actually live in the town.

I completely appreciate that if there were to be such an agreement it would have to be entirely 'under the wire' as it is against LP rules apparently. But there's no chance of getting the tories out otherwise.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 18, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

If you're on methadone treatment it's considered a disability
Pretty sure this is not true and is an American thing (Guava does tend to be right about stuff though so idk). Drug addiction is specifically excluded from the Equality Act, at least.

The gigantic chain she always wears around her neck to do important Brexit-related announcements is an extremely subtle code. It represents BDSM and symbolises her humiliation fetish.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Current DVLA advice is:

If you're on methadone treatment it's considered a disability, and the DVLA along with your GP can come to a conclusion; if you're not on methadone treatment and are just taking it without medical approval, it's considered drug driving.

So it's not necessarily the case that someone would be denied a license as part of being on a methadone treatment regime, but that the GP would disclose if you presented as being on any significantly impairing drugs that are not part of a treatment regime whether that's someone finding methadone on the street or finding meth say?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hentai Jihadist posted:

also who in the marxist/anarchist tradition is enjoyable to read?
lenin seemed ok, i actually liked trotskys thing better but all I've read of them is their vague descriptions of dialectical materialism.

Hows bakunin and kropotkin? the only anarchist stuff I've read is Emma Goldman but I do think anarchism in theory is the obviously morally superior ideology
-insert that meme of marx falling down the stairs while bakunin yells at him-

dialectical materialism is the doctrine, basically, that everything that happens will trigger a reaction, and will adapt to this reaction, and that this is happening on a physical, objective level

so effectively everything has within itself the seed of its own negation, &c - if you're a massive tosspot in public you'll eventually get "negated" when someone knocks you out in a pub, which would probably see you being less of a public tosspot later. this new attitude will, however, provoke other reactions, which will react to it... the dialectic is resolved when you reach nirvana and/or someone finally has enough and loving murders you you infuriating bastard

so you can, with a bit of fiddling, create reaction-patterns on the basis of an analysis of the concepts, such as capitalism and class struggle wherein you see that actually existing capitalism tends to create its own opposition, which again triggers adaptations to capitalism. by marx's analysis, capitalism is on a deep, structural level unable to find an equilibrium, and is locked in a kind of perpetually destructive spiral which will eventually see it destroyed no matter how many clever tricks it tries to use to ameliorate things. that his critique is analyticaly funded and motivated, rather than e.g. moralistic, is what makes it so powerful

kropotkin is an interesting read next to lenin. would also recommend rosa luxemburg, and obviously marx himself was an entertainingly polemic writer

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Current DVLA advice is:

That's a little bit hopeful, thank you, although I suspect they would take the licence. I'll drag my friend to a CAB - we were afraid they had a legal duty to grass, too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Sex Robot posted:

TCC would probably be best equipped to tell you, they won't believe you when you say it's not you though.

From googling I gather that is a church thing? I'm afraid that's a no go, but thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TCC is the drugs subforum lol