Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

like i could soooorta understand if you're going out to random client sites and you really really need a VGA and DVI port 4 times a week? but your own conference rooms and fiddling with HDMI is easier than airplay? yet another complaint worming it's way up from 1988

and it doesn't matter which laptop you use in this case, it'll have the wrong port for the projector so you'll always need every kind of display dongle in your bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

currently I'm getting a computer from work so am selling my MacBook Pro 2018. it's alarming how few offers I've gotten. usually I buy the latest macbook then sell my old one and it goes within a few days. I've marked this one down $50 every few days. this ad has been up on CL for 2 weeks without a serious offer. folks have offered $1400 - $1500 a few times. pretty hosed up.

1500 is a generous offer imo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

lifehack: whenever you see a pop-up just press "Reader View" in Safari. it's the 3 lines on the left of the address bar. it's not only a better reading experience but gets around Adblock pop-ups 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure apple put it there for this reason.

it doesn't work on sites that strip out/don't load the article text in the DOM if they detect an adblocker

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
why dignify those sites with your readership

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

why dignify those sites with your readership

if they don't load the text, then i cant read it anyway? i'm not gonna turn off my adblocker for them

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

currently I'm getting a computer from work so am selling my MacBook Pro 2018. it's alarming how few offers I've gotten. usually I buy the latest macbook then sell my old one and it goes within a few days. I've marked this one down $50 every few days. this ad has been up on CL for 2 weeks without a serious offer. folks have offered $1400 - $1500 a few times. pretty hosed up.

I sold a 2018 too it took close to a month and I barely got any good offers and got kinda stiffed in the end.
Jokes on them that keyboard sucks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im satisfied with my mbp 2018, sans emoji bar. or, to be precise, sans lack of function key row.
id probably even accept emoji bar as extra feature. but then again, all my previous laptops are 700 dollar media shite, sans the barely functional xps 13 at work, that is just slightly cheaper than my 2018 15” mbp

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im satisfied with my mbp 2018, sans emoji bar. or, to be precise, sans lack of function key row.
id probably even accept emoji bar as extra feature. but then again, all my previous laptops are 700 dollar media shite, sans the barely functional xps 13 at work, that is just slightly cheaper than my 2018 15” mbp

there is no 2018 mbp with function keys. you paid full price for an old model lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

there is no 2018 mbp with function keys. you paid full price for an old model lol

im not saying my mbp has function keys? im meaning to say that my main point of contention with the 2018 mbp is the fact that emoji bar replaced function keys, rather than the existence of emoji bar in itself

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I could have dealt with the emoji bar if it had been a new separate row above the F keys
I could even have dealt with everything being permanently soldered to the logic board after 2015 if at least the keyboard and touchpad didn't suck

I wonder how long it takes before macos requires a T2 chip to boot, I think I will leave the platform entirely once hackintoshing is no longer a viable option

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im not saying my mbp has function keys? im meaning to say that my main point of contention with the 2018 mbp is the fact that emoji bar replaced function keys, rather than the existence of emoji bar in itself

oh i see yeah that makes more sense. fwiw "sans" normally means "without", not "apart from", which is why i thought you were saying something different

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

oh i see yeah that makes more sense. fwiw "sans" normally means "without", not "apart from", which is why i thought you were saying something different

yeah i looked up and realised i hosed that part up

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PleasureKevin posted:

I've said this 100 times but: you. do. not. need. a. dongle. just spend $5 on Amazon to replace your USB-A to micro-USB cable with a USB-C to micro-USB cable.
"no one needs to buy a dongle, just buy all-new cables!" lol i am pleasured by this

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Most people don't use feature X, get rid of it" is the stack ranking of product design.

works great the first round but you have to consistently replace what you took out with something fantastically better. doing it multiple rounds without replacing what you took out at all is insanity because turns out the only way you don't have edge cases in your customer base is if you don't have any customers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

the only way you don't have edge cases in your customer base is if you don't have any customers.

you see why it has worked so well for apple then

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

waa waa waa make a permanent bulbous lump on the side of my laptop to support the vga and serial port I never use

cool, now I'd like to hear you explain away the absolutely shite keyboard all MacBooks now use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ya the complaints about doooOONNGGLESSS!! ring hollow to me bc i use the ports on my 2015 basically never. airpods, airplay, bluetooth, camera syncs wirelessly, etc. usb-c is a superior interface and if i have to use a legacy something a couple times a year its really not the end of the world to whip out my dongle

yep so ship the mac book air like that and keep the mac book pro a pro machine that can actually do things out of the box

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

please make the primary function of the form factor appreciably worse to entertain my dumb edge cases! thank you!!

wish could see actual data on if dongles are edge cases or in fact if the dongleless life that you enjoy is the edge case

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple
should have gone usb-c exclusive on every device of theirs in the space of one year

everyone would have already converted and this conversation would already have been moot but it seems that rather than bravery they just had the tepid excitement of a cancer boy about to meet a local newspaper journalist

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if projectors and meeting room screens are any indication then we'll have d-sub vga and hdmi for longer than usb c

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
HDMI is here to stay either way, TV manufacturers aren't switching to USB-C.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lmfao a new exciting adventure with the touchbar mbp - i assumed the keyboard would die first but theres straight upa crack in the bezel by the hinge hahahahahahahahahaaha

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
sometimes when I open my 2018 MBP, there's these two little popping noises from somewhere inside the chassis.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Ah that classic Apple quality

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Self-grinding electronics, a brave new world of possibilities.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the leaks were coming from tim all along!

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1107621536528130049

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh lol they launched new ipads with a store update

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Is he writing a letter to Bolsonaro?

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Does a new iPad mini mean there is hope for a iPhone XS Mini (2019) (SE2)?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

yep so ship the mac book air like that and keep the mac book pro a pro machine that can actually do things out of the box

wish could see actual data on if dongles are edge cases or in fact if the dongleless life that you enjoy is the edge case

they're just lying and have a pile of dongles and docks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bump_fn posted:

lmfao a new exciting adventure with the touchbar mbp - i assumed the keyboard would die first but theres straight upa crack in the bezel by the hinge hahahahahahahahahaaha

wtf, that's aluminum isn't it? how did that crack without the screen also exploding?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm surprised to see timb revisiting the home button on the next iphone.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

"if you see a stylus, they blew it"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

they're just lying and have a pile of dongles and docks.

it's easy if you just ignore the dongles you don't use every day. those are just one-offs, right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

"if you see a stylus, they blew it"

no, see, steve was bad and dumb. get with the times.

sure, it was revolutionary in 2007 when everyone was using a stylus, but now, in 2019 it's hip to be square and your finger is the outmoded technology only used by olds

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I hope you don't buy the latest pencil (2018) for the new iPads (2019) because the new iPads (2019) only work with the old pencils (2015).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he was talking about telephones not tablets

ted hitler posted:

I hope you don't buy the latest pencil (2018) for the new iPads (2019) because the new iPads (2019) only work with the old pencils (2015).
this, however, is ridiculous and bad. good job tim apple

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ted hitler posted:

lmao

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Endless Mike posted:

he was talking about telephones not tablets

he's holding the maxxx size phone

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ted hitler posted:

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ted hitler posted:

this is incredible.

in any other world i'd say there's just no way apple would gently caress up like this, but this is timb's apple, and of course they did