Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Durzel posted:

He definitely had a rabbit in the headlights moment, and I guess you could say that that's unacceptable for a CO. Apone couldn't hear him anyway so I'm not sure what good telling him the details of why they couldn't fire in there would do, and yes he should've pulled them out sooner. Besides that though I don't know why Gorman gets so much flak.

Not being military minded is freezing up in a battle the way he did enough to condemn someone? As shown they lost Apone immediately, and Hicks said "Marines we are leaving" so he took charge of things anyway. It wasn't like Gorman left them in there for an extended period of time, and he was just as unprepared for the threat and the severity of it as anyone on the ground.

I'd like to say yeah, freezing up and getting your platoon killed is condemnable in a military scenario lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

I guess I never thought about it before, but after the first sentry gun scene the aliens have already taken enough losses that even if they xenomorphed all the surviving characters at that point, the alien force would still come out a net loss. Then the aliens attack the second hallway and take even more losses.

I think it hurts the narrative that the aliens are pretty smart, to have them risk so many of their numbers for so few potential victims. Of course, they do get in anyway, and take Hudson and Burke.

Maybe the queen realized Hudson was so dangerous, and thus valuable, that she risked half her children to get him. Is there any EU bullshit where a Hudson xenomorph gets off the planetoid?

Now let's debate how the queen made it back to the Sulaco.

Maybe when they have you cocooned up like in the hive ready for facehugger love, you can actually be used to give birth to aliens several times. Maybe the H.R. Giger stuff is able to repair you and rebuild your tissue to keep you as a perpetual incubator womb.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd like to say yeah, freezing up and getting your platoon killed is condemnable in a military scenario lmao
Ok, what could he have done given how quickly poo poo went down? Drove in the same way Ripley did? He got cut off so couldn't give them orders anyway.

He definitely has some blame, but he isn't at fault for where the colonists were and the fragility of the structure. That seems to me to be something important enough to know about that ought to have come up in the mission briefing before they had even set down? Shouldn't Burke have chipped in this pretty important info before the mission had even started, or at the very least while the marines were heading in the direction of the heat exchangers when Apone et al were still reachable on comms?

I know, it's a movie, and Gorman needed to be shown to be incompetent (two actual combat drops) but *shrug* he lost control for about a minute while the squad were annihilated, which happened even though some of them used guns anyway, etc. The outcome was assured as soon as they ended up at the colonists location.

EDIT: Just re-watched the scene again, ok he was pretty useless for an extended period of time.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 18, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Durzel posted:

Ok, what could he have done given how quickly poo poo went down? Drove in the same way Ripley did? He got cut off so couldn't give them orders anyway.

He definitely has some blame, but he isn't at fault for where the colonists were and the fragility of the structure. That seems to me to be something important enough to know about that ought to have come up in the mission briefing before they had even set down? Shouldn't Burke have chipped in this pretty important info before the mission had even started, or at the very least while the marines were heading in the direction of the heat exchangers when Apone et al were still reachable on comms?

I know, it's a movie, and Gorman needed to be shown to be incompetent (two actual combat drops) but *shrug* he lost control for about a minute while the squad were annihilated, which happened even though some of them used guns anyway, etc. The outcome was assured as soon as they ended up at the colonists location.

EDIT: Just re-watched the scene again, ok he was pretty useless for an extended period of time.

Taking away that it's a movie and so going into the reactor is good and cool ---- not going into the reactor at all because weaponry could blow everything up. Reconnoiter with a drone or listen to your Xeno advisor (Ripley) who says to get them out of there asap.

Like you have all of your colonists packed into a place the size of a kitchen HMMM. And didn't they find Newt already? Didn't she more or less confirm what the aliens can and do?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Maybe when they have you cocooned up like in the hive ready for facehugger love, you can actually be used to give birth to aliens several times. Maybe the H.R. Giger stuff is able to repair you and rebuild your tissue to keep you as a perpetual incubator womb.

The woman who chest bursted in front of the marines could be explained just by being caught recently. Maybe she was hiding like Newt or locked herself in a secure room and grabbed when she had to come out to find some food or whatever. It hadn't been that long since the place was infested, after all.

No reason to assume multiple chest burstings.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Randarkman posted:

I mean, sure maybe, but I've never come across this idea of a poor bastard being impregnated by xenomorphs multiple times except for this thread. The movies definitely depict a facehugger as pretty goddamn terminal, both visually and in how the characters discuss it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So this is just a reminder that Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Don't even try to argue that.

Watched it last night with my kids.

I forgot just how badass weaver looked when those doors open and she's standing there with that robot lifter thing. Or before that when she's like "I don't give a gently caress what you guys do, I'm going into hell to save that little girl." *duct tapes flamethrower to machinegun*

Holy poo poo do movies suck these days.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

I mean, sure maybe, but I've never come across this idea of a poor bastard being impregnated by xenomorphs multiple times except for this thread. The movies definitely depict a facehugger as pretty goddamn terminal, both visually and in how the characters discuss it.

Oh, yeah. I'm basing it on nothing except there's a lot of HR Giger stuff in the hive and going by the deleted scene in Alien we know that the aliens can do stuff to you to change and remake your body to suit their needs (turning you into the egg in that instance). So maybe the HR Giger stuff could revive and rebuild (in a certain manner) a host to be facehugged multiple times.

Again nothing but (pointless really) speculation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This commentary about the sentry guns seems to ignore the fact that there was four marines, two civilians, a synth and a kid with three pulse rifles and 150 rounds between all of them. They could probably hold out against a scout, not against another mass attack.

Also, those sentry guns burned through 1000 rounds of ammunition. Even if they killed a third of the hive, that's 20 rounds per alien kill in good conditions with a target-rich environment. 150 bullets would go by quick.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Maybe someone sneezed during the filming of the sentry gun scene, then Cameron (in a fit of rage) cut the scene, divorced his wife, and vowed that some time in the future he would make a movie with blue cats, then 5 sequels that nobody wanted.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

purple death ray posted:

As far as the characters in the movie are concerned there are effectively infinite aliens and the movie does everything to convince the viewers of this too. How many people in 1986 do you think even noticed the population on that sign? Coming at the movie in 2019 when you can analyze every frame and pore over extended-universe tie-ins to try and math out exactly how many xenos are in the movie might be a neat thought experiment but like, you can read this last page of posts and literally watch this line of thought sucking the joy and tension out of this magnificent movie.

For what it’s worth, the population sign is part of a deleted scene that wasn’t available until the laserdisc release in like 1991 or something.

That said, I think Ripley name-drops the colony population when she confronts Burke about sending the transmission that doomed the colony in the first place.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, the population sign is part of a deleted scene that wasn’t available until the laserdisc release in like 1991 or something.

That said, I think Ripley name-drops the colony population when she confronts Burke about sending the transmission that doomed the colony in the first place.

Nah, I saw it this weekend, Van Leuven tells her after the meeting that there are about ~70 families in the colony when Ripley asks how many people there are there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Nah, I saw it this weekend, Van Leuven tells her after the meeting that there are about ~70 families in the colony when Ripley asks how many people there are there.

quote:

Burke: How can they impound it if they don't know about it?
Ripley: Oh, but they will know about it, Burke. From me. Just like they'll know that you were responsible for the deaths of 157 colonists!
Burke: Wait a second—
Ripley: You sent them to that ship!
Burke: You're wrong!
Ripley: I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah that’s what I was thinking of.

Also for those of you willing to dabble in expanded universe stuff, here’s a trio of recommendations:

Alien: Isolation - the video game that made the Alien scary again. The game is pretty long in the tooth in the last third, but the 1970s retro-future art style is fantastic. If you like the art, the game’s concept art book is a must-read. It’s also got a DLC map where you can explore the Nostromo and then reenact two scenes from the movie. The Nostromo isn’t 100% screen accurate, but it’s so close that only the most hardcore turbonerds will notice (and only the most anally retentive turbonerds will be bothered by it).

Aliens: Labyrinth - a goddamn fantastic comic series that does a hell of a job balancing the lethal nature of the Alien and body-horror from the first movie with a good dose of ‘Aliens’-style balls-out action. It’s got some seriously hosed up bits, and one of the most memorable human villains the franchise has ever seen.
I highly recommend the comic version, but it’s been adapted into a novelization as well. The novelization gets the job done, but the comic is better.

Alien: The Cold Forge - a relatively recent novel that’s easily the best Aliens novel released, period. The protagonist is a Weyland Yutani auditor and all around motherfucker that makes Carter Burke seem like Mr. Rogers, he’s a blast to read. Even some non-Aliens fans in the CineD Aliens thread gave it a whirl and came away saying “yeah that was a good time”.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I just saw predators.

It's bad guys.

Worse than predator 2.

what the hell is wrong with you Predator 2 owns

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

what the hell is wrong with you Predator 2 owns

Predator 2 is more a guilty pleasure. It's really one of those "urban terror" movies in the vein of Death Wish 3, with some predator action added on.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Alien: Isolation - the video game that made the Alien scary again. The game is pretty long in the tooth in the last third, but the 1970s retro-future art style is fantastic. If you like the art, the game’s concept art book is a must-read. It’s also got a DLC map where you can explore the Nostromo and then reenact two scenes from the movie. The Nostromo isn’t 100% screen accurate, but it’s so close that only the most hardcore turbonerds will notice (and only the most anally retentive turbonerds will be bothered by it).

I played this on PC, and it was ok.

I'd like if they had offered it on PSVR (the only VR we have at my house).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

spacetoaster posted:

I played this on PC, and it was ok.

I'd like if they had offered it on PSVR (the only VR we have at my house).

There was a VR version they demoed at PAX or something like that and by all accounts it was loving terrifying.
For whatever reason the VR version never got an official release; I can’t remember if some fans made a home brew version or not.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

There was a VR version they demoed at PAX or something like that and by all accounts it was loving terrifying.
For whatever reason the VR version never got an official release; I can’t remember if some fans made a home brew version or not.

I played the new resident evil 7 on my PSVR and I played it for around 20 minutes and then put it away and never played it again. It was that terrifying.

I would like to think I could stick with an entire game based on aliens, but I don't know.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Young Freud posted:

Burke: How can they impound it if they don't know about it?
Ripley: Oh, but they will know about it, Burke. From me. Just like they'll know that you were responsible for the deaths of 157 colonists!
Burke: Wait a second—
Ripley: You sent them to that ship!
Burke: You're wrong!
Ripley: I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?

*talking rapidly
OK look... what if that ship didn't even exist... did you ever think about that? I DIDN'T KNOW! so now if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in; Administration steps in and there's no exclusive rights for anybody, nobody wins. So I made a decision and it was... wrong, it was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bad call? These people are DEAD, Burke!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Holy poo poo do movies suck these days.

Yeah.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Ka0 posted:

*talking rapidly
OK look... what if that ship didn't even exist... did you ever think about that? I DIDN'T KNOW! so now if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in; Administration steps in and there's no exclusive rights for anybody, nobody wins. So I made a decision and it was... wrong, it was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call...

Cameron has a real obsession in all his films of making it very clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. And the bad guys are usually so incredibly, deeply bad the whole audience wants them to get their comeuppance. Reiser as Burke is so slimy, manipulative and sociopathic he's the perfect bad guy. His performance is so good. Trying to convince Ripley that what he did was a good thing... Like who the gently caress are you fooling?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dev286 posted:

Cameron has a real obsession in all his films of making it very clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. And the bad guys are usually so incredibly, deeply bad the whole audience wants them to get their comeuppance. Reiser as Burke is so slimy, manipulative and sociopathic he's the perfect bad guy. His performance is so good. Trying to convince Ripley that what he did was a good thing... Like who the gently caress are you fooling?

I imagine that being an exec is such a different experience that of course exclusive rights are worth putting lives at stake.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Burke is easily one of my favorite characters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dev286 posted:

Cameron has a real obsession in all his films of making it very clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are.
Well I mean, except for T2 up until the Galleria hallway shootout.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean, except for T2 up until the Galleria hallway shootout.

I guess it's true that many times there is some ambiguity before we get to know the characters (Burke seems benevolent at first albeit suspicious). But once Cameron decides to reveal who the bad guys are it's 100 percent full-bore evil from that point on.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Young Freud posted:

This commentary about the sentry guns seems to ignore the fact that there was four marines, two civilians, a synth and a kid with three pulse rifles and 150 rounds between all of them. They could probably hold out against a scout, not against another mass attack.

Also, those sentry guns burned through 1000 rounds of ammunition. Even if they killed a third of the hive, that's 20 rounds per alien kill in good conditions with a target-rich environment. 150 bullets would go by quick.

2000 rounds.
4 sentries with 500 rounds each. But with 2 guns firing concurrently.

But your sentiment is correct. Assuming their scanners detect motion, which I think it's safe to assume given the other tech we see, then yeah, 500 rounds per gun at such a high rate of fire is gonna go fast. Particularly because a Xeno would presumably flop around a lot and absorb more fire even after it received a lethal hit. I would think that the sentries would just fire at about any movement at all, whether it was a Xeno or not, and whether that Xeno was actively attacking, or just in it's death throes. That's a lot of ammunition wasted at shooting things that aren't actively attacking.

The A and B gun portion of the scene only lasts about 30 seconds, from the time they start firing to the time both guns are dry, and you can tell from the shots of the monitors that the sentries are hitting some Xenos, but they're also shooting up a whole lot of nothing either because of other things flying around in the corridor or just flat out missing the Xenos.

30 seconds is about right actually, if you look at the "Time At 100%" counter. It's only 33.33 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2PtmM9mwU&t=142s

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 18, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Burke is easily one of my favorite characters.

It's great how in the future you still have smooth talking yuppie types.

He's a great villain since at least from the intro scenes he seems to be one of kinder sympathetic characters for Ripley's situation until he becomes obvious
he has a agenda.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

dev286 posted:

Cameron has a real obsession in all his films of making it very clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. And the bad guys are usually so incredibly, deeply bad the whole audience wants them to get their comeuppance.

Michael Biehn does an excellent job in this role as Lt Coffey in Cameron's very next film The Abyss, where Biehn plays a Navy Seal who succumbs to ocean madness pretty much instantly.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Biehn's magnum opus imo.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Copper Vein posted:

Michael Biehn does an excellent job in this role as Lt Coffey in Cameron's very next film The Abyss, where Biehn plays a Navy Seal who succumbs to ocean madness pretty much instantly.

Whoa that was Biehn??

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

dev286 posted:

Whoa that was Biehn??
He literally just looked like Hicks with a mustache.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

His death in The Abyss was pretty metal.

https://youtu.be/FkhBPF4yfkI

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Watched 3 a few days back and marathoned Resurrection, Prometheus, & Covenant last night. First time for 3/Resurrection/Covenant.

Pennywise, I'm sorry for your franchise.

3 was obviously worse than 1 & 2, but Resurrection made 3 look like an arthouse film. I think I saw people say it was an unintentional comedy in this thread, which works well.

Prometheus was less impressive without a theater screen, but when you're following Resurrection it's effectively flawless by comparison.

Covenant was pretty mediocre, but watching Fassbender's dialogue made it pretty passable. I think it elevates Prometheus a bit and helps tie in the non-Ripley casts to the setting a little. That said these two new ones are utterly forgettable.

The cgi went off the rails crazy hard in Resurrection. And I guess Aliens should be held accountable for making every film add a new dumb design choice regarding the alien and it's ever shifting growth cycle. Someone needs to be accountable for that dumb loving human xeno and the film overall. "Oh no" - me, watching Resurrection.

Final trip report: 3 is worth including in your original trilogy watch through occasionally. Resurrection is so bad it's worth rewatching. The general character might be my favorite, but Brad Dourif is great. My other favorite character is the musical stings that back the scenes where characters you have assumed were dead come back "triumphantly." That music also wants to indicate that they're heros and that we should be very relieved and ecstatic that this person made it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Which version of 3 did you watch? Because the theatrical cut is cool, but the Assembly Cut is loving awesome.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Theatrical, first viewing/only version I had handy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Human Alien in 4 is almost a crazy enough design to work despite itself. Not quite though. Having now seen the original design with its inflamed engorged dickgina that the studio wouldn't allow in the movie, I think that's really the missing element.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Also I try to hold my breath for underwater scenes and is usually not too hard to "make it" since sitting motionless isn't too demanding, but my lungs were not having any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

skasion posted:

Human Alien in 4 is almost a crazy enough design to work despite itself. Not quite though. Having now seen the original design with its inflamed engorged dickgina that the studio wouldn't allow in the movie, I think that's really the missing element.

Why is it a human alien again in Resurrection? Specifically why is it different from all the ones we've seen before who really have all been "human aliens" (except the one in Alien 3). I think there was a reason for it in the movie, I just don't remember much about the movie because it was kind of a piece of crap, though I actually kind of enjoyed it for what it was.