Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Cheap rights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

Cheap rights?

Probably. Isn't Netflix still desperate for content now that everybody else is trying to be Netflix?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Netflix has a pretty tight grip on the worldwide market that the other services don't come close to, I think it's less "desperate" and more "can afford to produce cheap poo poo that will get eaten up".

edit: And logging on Netflix after a while I noticed they have a series called LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS that is "a re-imagining of Fincher and Miller's long in-development reboot of Heavy Metal."

I assume no one watched that yet?

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 18, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really want to but I've got so much other poo poo to watch at the moment. Although mentioning Heavy Metal has just pushed it a fair few places up on my priority list.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Samuringa posted:

Netflix has a pretty tight grip on the worldwide market that the other services don't come close to, I think it's less "desperate" and more "can afford to produce cheap poo poo that will get eaten up".

edit: And logging on Netflix after a while I noticed they have a series called LOVE DEATH + ROBOTS that is "a re-imagining of Fincher and Miller's long in-development reboot of Heavy Metal."

I assume no one watched that yet?

There's a thread in TVIV

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can't wait for Netflix's Shi and Dawn shows from their new '90s bad girl initiative.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Can't wait for Netflix's Shi and Dawn shows from their new '90s bad girl initiative.

Somewhere Brian Pulido got very excited. Just imagine the triple threat of Lady Death AND Purgatori AND Chastity.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Netflix will become the Cinemax of the streaming services.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Catching up on Gotham (because it's fun) and man, five years in and Camren Bicondova (Selena) is still just awful.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Netflix will become the Cinemax of the streaming services.

Apt given what they just dropped and where they seem to be going. At least in certain genres.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Wow, Arrow sucks. Did they do a whole episode without Green Arrow? Is any of the poo poo they are doing now supposed to invoke a response?

I'm kind of into older Dinah but just let the bombs blow up, please.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1108035748429733890?s=19

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Pretty interesting that according to wikipedia (yeah yeah), he was initially conceived as being gay, but they backed off because they felt his character was too stereotypical of a gay person, which is way more forward thinking than I would have ever guessed comics development could be, especially back then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How long until Netflix gets the Image 90s rights? I'd probably watch a live action Gen 13 series.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

How long until Netflix gets the Image 90s rights? I'd probably watch a live action Gen 13 series.

I'd watch the poo poo of that. Stormwatch/Authority, Team 7, and even WildC.A.T.S but I doubt they'd have the budget to do it properly. Deathblow could be pretty cool for not much money too but maybe they've already covered that ground a bit via Daredevil/Punisher.

Anywho, I'd assume any of this would fall to DC Universe if at all given the focus and investment in series via that platform.

Just give me a live action Grifter in some capacity and my 13-year old self will be forever grateful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just give me Planetary.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I didn't read all of it but Chew could work as a TV series. Unless poo poo goes really crazy after the third volume, it's low key enough to not demand a ridiculous budget while still being entertaining.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I didn't read all of it but Chew could work as a TV series. Unless poo poo goes really crazy after the third volume, it's low key enough to not demand a ridiculous budget while still being entertaining.

I agree wholeheartedly, although things definitely get crazier after the third volume, in terms of budget.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRJa9hqJHeY

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder who would one cast for Caitlin?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

A tall girl and a padded bra.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

A tall girl and a padded bra.

Mop with two beach balls taped to it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That works.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They should keep the casting from the animated movie and still have Flea play Grunge.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just give me Planetary.

Not until Marvel Studios makes a proper Fantastic 4 movie/show. Then Netflix can make commentary on the Disney War Machine.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dawgstar posted:

Deborah Ann Woll is already on the Netflix payroll and comfortable with schlocky material.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe Netflix could get a hold of the TMNT rights down the road

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You think Nickelodeon would license them out? They paid a ton for the property.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't Viacom fully own that as of a handful of years ago? Considering the relative success of the Nickelodeon CG series, it would take a series of massive failures for them to relinquish it to some one else.

Edit: :argh:

I know this isn't technically an actual comic property, but I would love for Netflix to take a shot at Thundercats. Or something similar. Kind of like how they did Voltron. Maybe Silverhawks? Hell maybe even go into the 90s and get whatever properties aren't owned by the big companies. Street Sharks? King Arthur and the Knights of Justice? Pirates of Dark Water was Time Warner I think, unfortunately.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 21, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a reimagined Thundercats/Silverhawks/Tigersharks shared universe.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I want a reimagined Thundercats/Silverhawks/Tigersharks shared universe.

Yeah and it should start by bringing back the last reimagining of Thundercats because it was pretty cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah and it should start by bringing back the last reimagining of Thundercats because it was pretty cool.

I never seen it!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I never seen it!

It was pretty cool - they were trying to ape the serial long-running storytelling type deal of Last Airbender. It did really well at first and then CN started jerking its schedule around, and also the toys didn't sell well (because they were not good). The schedule thing at least would not be an issue on Netflix.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I don't know about you guys but I loved Netflix's Voltron so if they did Thundercats it would be a best case scenario in my opinion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need to find time to finish it, first season is good and gorgeously animated.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I am so behind on Netflix poo poo. Still haven't seen Punisher S2. Haven't started Voltron or Castlevania S1 either. And now I saw the Ultraman trailer and some clips of Love, Death, Robots thing, and I am starting to feel overwhelmed. :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I heard Voltron went to poo poo near the end, but then I never really cared about Voltron so I can't judge

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I heard Voltron went to poo poo near the end, but then I never really cared about Voltron so I can't judge

I heard similar things about the Godzilla series, but tbh, I couldn't even finish the first part. I am huge Godzilla fan, having seen almost every film multiple times, some probably dozens of times (and I own the 2 that I haven't seen yet, I just have a massive stack of unwatched movies....) But goddamn if that Netflix thing couldn't hold my interest.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

TwoPair posted:

Nope. It got better and better and finished awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really liked the look of godzilla (the cg anime look is also working in the star wars resistance show), but i watched all three of em and it was uhh...interesting...lots of moments where they clearly could've done something cool but chose not to