Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Theowulv posted:

RIP Dimple/Mob using a gun against Shibata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

I mean we just had that whole conversation about chuunis and manchildren relative to the last arc of series one. Is the series literally saying chuunis are kidnapping kids, setting up secret lairs in the woods, blowing up buildings?

The precise nature of what the Claw boss is up to is a metaphor - it's not literally saying Peterson is kidnapping the PM. And when I say 'he's Peterson' I mean that the Claw boss is representative of Peterson's ilk.

I mean, I can definitely see the parallels between the two as presented so far, I'm just saying it has unfortunate implications going forward.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordaedil posted:

I would... Not make careless comparisons to real life personas...

Jordan Peterson isn't a real life persona, he just lives here

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Fight. On.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

Peterson is a lovely professor who believes that that you should be able to just say whatever you want (Toichiro believes that you should just act however you want) and sells his awful ideas to lonely insecure men (Toichiro gives his bad advice to Serizawa who really looks up to Toichiro and it's been alluded that Serizawa was a neet that Toichiro's been grooming) so you can see the dna of one in the other.

Peterson sells his ideas to lonely insecure men. Toichiro organizes and executes an insurgence against the government. They both give bad advice.

I think y'all are digging too hard to figure out what the story is "actually" about through metaphors and allegories and such. Toichiro is a selfish man with frightening psychic powers and a willingness to hurt people. What does he represent? Selfish, powerful people who are willing to hurt others. Why is that relevant to the story? Because the story is about Mob, a selfless powerful person, who is learning to live responsibly.

What's important about the advice Toichiro gives Serizawa isn't that Toichiro is a bad person who gives people bad advice, it's that Toichiro actually believes this poo poo and acts upon it. He's not selling advice from behind a youtube channel, he's actively seizing control of a city. He's doing with his powers what Mob is capable of doing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah you're not wrong, they're not totally analogous and Toichiro stands for something bigger than a modern day snakeoil salseman, that discussion wasn't the sum total of all Toichiro's nuance

im just saying the person connecting the dots using him wasn't wrong either is all

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

why the gently caress is anyone talking about the lobster man in the good anime thread

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Curse all who talk about vile men in a thread about a show for exclusively amazing boys. May none of you who sully this zone be gifted the loving embrace of Reigen Arataka.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

IDONTPOST posted:

why the gently caress is anyone talking about the lobster man in the good anime thread

I mean, his organisation is called Claw.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Kashuno posted:

Fight. On.

Fight. On.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

a cartoon duck posted:

I mean, his organisation is called Claw.

It turns out Toichiro just likes Crudbump.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
absolute god tier episode

Even knowing everything I was on the edge of my seat

e: there's a post credits scene too

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Reigen, the relevant defense is necessity, not self defense, :eng101:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
no it was self defense

this one will be necessity

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Reigen gonna fuckin' shoot someone dead.

Anyway the whole fight with Teleporter-kun was just stupendous. S1 was good but this one's been on a whole other level. It's nuts.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I really like the visual effect of the teleportation, it's the most visually interesting demonstration of that kind of superpower I've ever seen in animation.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah all the teleport tricks Ryo does with Teru were amazing, I've never seen a teleporter fight like that. It's transitions so flawlessly and so quickly that it can actually be kind of disorientating, which conveys in a tinyway what fighting someone like that would be like.

Bones has got to hold workshops on how to animate large scale fight scenes. Both this and last seasons Episode 11 have been perfect

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

also, I'm super thrilled to have seen this panel animated, and it got a big guffaw out of me even though I knew it was coming

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

When Reigen said "leave it to me" in the last episode preview I was hoping that meant Justifiable Self-Defense Rush was coming and I'm glad I wasn't let down. I've been wondering how they were going to adapt it and it being so sudden is a good choice.

I can't believe how they are keeping up this animation. This whole episode is basically nothing but fights and all of it looks amazing. And agreeing that this is the best teleporter fight just on direction alone.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo I loving lost it during Reigen's Justifiable Self-Defense Rush.

Also I LOVED how they did the teleportation battle.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Come to think of it has anyone depicted teleportation like this before? I can't think of anything.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I should have seen it coming as soon as he said he was blocking out everything besides ESP'ers, but the self-defense rush got me so good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God I love this loving show

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
loving hell the animation of that episode was god-tier. The episode itself to, wow.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That teleportation fight was incredible

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I end every Monday thinking "how can Mob be so good?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

Come to think of it has anyone depicted teleportation like this before? I can't think of anything.

What's her face, Ms Voiced by 70 Year Old Chain Smoker teleport girl from Railgun comes sorta close and then there's the teleport girl from Zettai Karen Children; though I don't think either of them have had fights with such amounts of *asmr voice* sakuga. Railgun girl I think is the most visually interesting at her peak.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm a little surprised that I don't recall seeing "teleportation from the perspective of the teleporter" being done before. In hindsight, it seems so obvious.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God I love this loving show

:emptyquote:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been trying to figure out what Mob's psychic aura reminds me of, and it's like the underside of those metallic stickers that you get from a gumball machine.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that's kind of my favorite detail about this adaptation, it's that everyone's aura is personalized (Mob's is blue and circles, opposite Ritsu's which is blue and triangles/angular shapes showing the differences between the two brothers personalities, Teru's is yellow with blue ripples, ((yellow being the opposite primary color to blue, but there is still blue in there, Teru is similar to the brothers)), Hatori with his RGB color tv aura)

they remind me a lot of how PSI attacks look in the Mother series

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah that's kind of my favorite detail about this adaptation, it's that everyone's aura is personalized (Mob's is blue and circles, opposite Ritsu's which is blue and triangles/angular shapes showing the differences between the two brothers personalities, Teru's is yellow with blue ripples, ((yellow being the opposite primary color to blue, but there is still blue in there, Teru is similar to the brothers)), Hatori with his RGB color tv aura)

Ritsu's also has a good symbolism in that at first glance it's like Mob's, but upon closer inspection you can see it's basically a knockoff of Mob's. This season also gave us Dimple's aura, which I'm not sure what to make of.

The villain auras are also almost always red (with Claw's being angular in contrast to Mob, while Mogami's still has round dots within that can be taken as showing how he started off similar to Mob) with the current exception of Serizawa. Manga spoiler: His being purple, a halfway point between Mob's blue and Claw's red is neat foreshadowing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Expect My Mom posted:

That has to have been an inspiration, right? It would surprise me if ONE and the animators didn't have the Mother series on their mind to some degree.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why is this show so good? That teleporter fight was so fun to watch, and I love how it ended completely opposite how I was expecting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

That has to have been an inspiration, right? It would surprise me if ONE and the animators didn't have the Mother series on their mind to some degree.

Not necessarily - they could share a common inspiration that pre-dates Mother. Like how a fair amount of stuff people attribute to Evangelion actually dates back to older Tokusatsu or Kaiju stuff that inspired Anno.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hologram stickers! That's what I was thinking of! http://www.fastprinting.com/stickers/hologram-stickers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd like to think so!

but aside from some more broad themes of Kid With Psychic Powers In A Silly World Where The Main Theme Is Love, there's not a lot of similarity

i wouldnt be surprised tho if ONE ever said ":yeah i played that"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GOT DAYUM

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Hologram stickers! That's what I was thinking of! http://www.fastprinting.com/stickers/hologram-stickers

Considering one of the production goals from season 1 was to use traditional techniques over heavy CG reliance, I'm pretty sure shining lights on holograph paper is literally what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm gonna miss having this show to look forward to every Monday