Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Govt. just announced in Parliament that they'll go to the European Council on Thursday and Friday, and if needed, there will be a (normal) Statutory Instrument presented to HoC and HoL next week.

Justine Greening asking for more details now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

In Finland the Social Democrats are in an upsurge, having been in the opposition for the past 4 years. Election in a bit less than a month.

The only reason this is happening is because the current government was probably the most incompetent government in Finnish history. It doesn't mean that SDP is healthy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ataxerxes posted:

In Finland the Social Democrats are in an upsurge, having been in the opposition for the past 4 years. Election in a bit less than a month.

good luck to them! i honestly don't know the situation in finland nearly as much as i ought to. is there a decent swedish or english-language online newspaper i can read to keep abreast of things?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Heners_UK posted:

Govt. just announced in Parliament that they'll go to the European Council on Thursday and Friday, and if needed, there will be a (normal) Statutory Instrument presented to HoC and HoL next week.

Justine Greening asking for more details now.

If it's next week, then it's hosed.

Like seriously, they said next week?

They could be trying a normal statutory instrument to overturn Bercow's ruling...but he gets to decide if it's within the bounds of a nomal instrument to overturn, and...yeah this is just May trying to take it down to the wire and looking for any precedent she can to end up with a vote next thursday on her deal or no deal.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Party Boat posted:

I HAVE MADE A LEGITIMATE AND PEACEFUL REQUEST TO PLAY TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT

No votes, the disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox only, Final Destination.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

the early mays had erskine. we spotted them easy. but these are new, they look human. sweat, coughing fits, everything. very hard to spot. I had to wait till she moved on EU before I could zero the pound

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

PST posted:

If it's next week, then it's hosed.

Like seriously, they said next week?

Exact words I believe of Kwasi Kwarteng MP, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (Spelthorne, Conservative).

Link to the urgent question on Parliament Live: https://goo.gl/akNvp7

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KayHeenan/status/1107598579701567488

"Politics isn't celebrity" says the man who's been trying to make the "British Obama" label stick for how long now?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Politics isn't celebrity" says the man who's been trying to make the "British Obama" label stick for how long now?

Fortunately for him, given his lack of any.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
On the cusp of self awareness, Chuka Umunna tries to defend being unpopular in politics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CoolCab posted:

the early mays had erskine. we spotted them easy. but these are new, they look human. sweat, coughing fits, everything. very hard to spot. I had to wait till she moved on EU before I could zero the pound

:golfclap:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
"politics isn't celebrity" i assure myself as i close my eyes and ram the house of commons with my lovely independent group

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Even the background is doing the :v: emote at him.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

High Octane Atmosphere in parliament today :tif:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Heners_UK posted:

Exact words I believe of Kwasi Kwarteng MP, The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union (Spelthorne, Conservative).

Link to the urgent question on Parliament Live: https://goo.gl/akNvp7

Okay thats totally different to the contextless thing said before

This is government trying to use an SI to amend exit day if the EU agrees to an extension

ERG will probably try and gently caress with this but if accepted by the speaker then it'll go through (and he probably will) this isn't them trying to use an SI for any other fuckery

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

Kate Hoey just said the EU is humiliating the Country.

Yeah right.

EDIT: She's now saying that the EU should give us more, in a manner I perceive as being because they have done that

e: Hoey, not Owen. Link

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 18, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Combat Theory posted:

:brexit:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Azza i love your comics by the way. Thanks for making each one of them including scary bath tub may that frightened me.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Thanks for the kind words. The thought of May in the bathtub is, in hindsight, worthy of nightmares.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

PST posted:

Okay thats totally different to the contextless thing said before

This is government trying to use an SI to amend exit day if the EU agrees to an extension

ERG will probably try and gently caress with this but if accepted by the speaker then it'll go through (and he probably will) this isn't them trying to use an SI for any other fuckery

I think I didn't communicate the nature of the statement that well. I took it to mean, and still do to some extent, that the Government is still kicking the can down the road so close to Brexit day we may crash out. That's also forcing the EU as well.

I agree that the SI in itself isn't necessarily a bad idea.

To your points about the ERG messing with it, likely through amendments, I couldn't agree more, as I do with your point Bercow allowing this vote.

Kwasi Kwarteng is currently getting pulled apart at the dispatch box in regard to how long an extension and what's the plan to get us out of this mess overall.

e: A later answer indicated an SI is not amendable.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 18, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

V. Illych L. posted:

good luck to them! i honestly don't know the situation in finland nearly as much as i ought to. is there a decent swedish or english-language online newspaper i can read to keep abreast of things?

Eh they are still polling what, 24% or something? They used to hold over 30% back in the day and more I believe. Still a shadow of what they used to be.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

brian posted:

I mean if they're not substantially different then they shouldn't be? Otherwise it's a very inconsistent and biased rule

edit: I'm not watching it so he's a tory probably making a terrible point somehow but based on the posts idgi

The May deal was voted down twice as opposed to once.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CoolCab posted:

How can she be difficult to spot...

if she's been very clear.

:dukedog:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Today has been unexpectedly fantastic. Lols all around.

Edit: And I forgot about my new stellar avatar :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

brian posted:

I mean people said the same things about all the european centre left parties that have disappeared recently, it's called pasokification if you want to look it up

I should have specified that right wing parties are more difficult to make go poof.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sulphagnist posted:

I think we're past the point where major parties can just disappear. A major party like the Tories or the Republicans in the US have entrenched partisan support and a large media operation that will keep voters turning out for them no matter what.

- a Liberal, circa 1928. Or an Italian Christian Democrat circa 1985. It can still happen, it's just rare.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sulphagnist posted:

I should have specified that right wing parties are more difficult to make go poof.

no they just do it in public toilets

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

still lolling 5 years on

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This looks significant, but I don't know enough to have any idea what kind of significance it is:

https://twitter.com/markkleinmansky/status/1107714012685455361?s=21

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

code:
INT. SCIENCE LAB

Two technicians JOHN and GREG are at work conducting tests on unknown chemical/biological samples. 
They are both wearing protective gear. 
In one corner of the laboratory a large beaker full of green liquid boils and bubbles.

Suddenly a third technician, DAVE bursts through the large white double doors at one end of the room.

DAVE
           Guys! We've done it! We've finally done it!

JOHN
           You mean - ?

GREG
           The formula? It works?

DAVE
           Yes but not just the formula, the cloning tank 
           is up and running!

JOHN and GREG exchange a glance with each other, clearly in disbelief.

DAVE
            Guys do you understand what this means?!
            We can - 

GREG
            We can finally create a clone of Willem Dafoe
            with the smugness level increased by 900%!

JOHN
             Yesssssss!

JOHN pumps his fist, and then JOHN and GREG exchange a double-high-five.

GREG's brow furrows as he remembers something.

GREG
             But won't that level of smugness increase the 
             weight of his head and face five-fold?

DAVE
             Yes but don't worry, the boys in engineering
             are already on the case. The best solution
             seems to be - 

Dave pauses and grins. There is a moment of shared realisation and then:

ALL TOGETHER
             A BRASS NECK!!

The three scientists share a laugh, some high-fives and pat each other on the back.

END SCENE

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 18, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

code:
INT. SCIENCE LAB

Two technicians JOHN and GREG are at work conducting tests on unknown chemical/biological samples. 
They are both wearing protective gear. 
In one corner of the laboratory a large beaker full of green liquid boils and bubbles.

Suddenly a third technician, DAVE bursts through the large white double doors at one end of the room.

DAVE
           Guys! We've done it! We've finally done it!

JOHN
           You mean - ?

GREG
           The formula? It works?

DAVE
           Yes but not just the formula, the cloning tank 
           is up and running!

JOHN and GREG exchange a glance with each other, clearly in disbelief.

DAVE
            Guys do you understand what this means?!
            We can - 

GREG
            We can finally create a clone of Willem Dafoe
            with the smugness level increased by 900%!

JOHN
             Yesssssss!

JOHN pumps his fist, and then JOHN and GREG exchange a double-high-five.

GREG's brow furrows as he remembers something.

GREG
             But won't that level of smugness increase the 
             weight of his head and face five-fold?

DAVE
             Yes but don't worry, the boys in engineering
             are already on the case. The best solution
             seems to be - 

Dave pauses and grins. There is a moment of shared realisation and then:

ALL TOGETHER
             A BRASS NECK!!

The three scientists share a laugh, some high-fives and pat each other on the back.

END SCENE

:bisonyes:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, neat, Corbs is giving Akala a signal-boost.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1107718724453318662?s=21

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Gonna rant here about CLP business because I have nowhere else to do it...

So our secretary resigned because he didn't want to table 2 motions proposed by our members. Bit of an over-reaction, but what can you do? Anyway, the motions went to CLP last week, and both were passed, although I managed to amend the poo poo out of one supporting Chris Williamson so that it didn't take public potshots at other wings of the party. Part of the motion was that 2 letters were to be written - one to Jennie Formby, and one to Williamson. The next day, I contacted the chair and offered to do them for her, so she could send them but she said that the treasurer - who proposed the motion - had just e-mailed to say he'd written them and sent them. We asked to see what he'd written and he said he'd bring them to EC in two weeks.

Yesterday I asked for an item to be added to the EC agenda about improving EC Communication, and today I sent an e-mail detailing what I'd been up to over the weekend as part of that, stating that monthly meetings weren't really a fit way to do updates like that in this day & age. The vice-chair replied, "thanks, although we already have the monthly EC reports for these updates."

ARGH!

Part of the problem is that the treasurer and vice-chair are older Labour left, and so they still act like there's a conspiracy against the left from the rest of the party. I mean, there is a bit, but they don't seem to have adjusted to the fact that we are in control. The chair & I are newer members, but no less left, and we've grasped this. The other issue is that we're in a heavily-Tory constituency, and so they've never had to behave like a normal CLP before, and they do gesture politics, whereas I genuinely believe we can win council seats, if not unseat Andrea Leadsom. It's all so frustrating, goons, but I'll keep chipping away...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
A reminder to all who are rather panicking right now.

It's Alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg

It's Fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1107722959475613698?s=19

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LOL okay so now the question is how will Theresa gently caress this up

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just imagine how meaningful this vote will be.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Why? what do they expect to change in 3-9 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why is Piers not being a snivelly little poo poo in here