Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Does it have side quest info? I need a good side quest guide.

Yes it does! Big spoilers in that post-game section. Think it's missing a couple alternate solutions (I know "For Want of Fish" is missing a second option to beat up a guy), but it should be enough to solve everything.

No mobile-friendly version as far as I'm aware, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does any character have good synergy with Starseer? I was thinking Primrose because she has other buffs and her max boost special whatever move as a Dancer lets her target all allies with buffs. I could see that being useful if someone is pumping her full of BP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Primrose is probably the best for Starseer but the job is so weird and varied that it kinda goes with anything, though preferably someone with good ElemAtk to make use of its two attack moves. You definitely want the Dancer's Divine paired with it though, especially for the final boss (I believe the second part?) since it has some nasty de/buffs you'll want to nullify.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There's an argument for Cyrus, since it gives him all six elements.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I used Ophillia as my Starseer getting some help from Primrose's divine skill.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So does Sorcerer, though.

I personally stuck Starseer on Alfyn just to give him something to do if you’re all good on health for his turn and you don’t need him to help break an enemy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sure, but making Cyrus your Sorcerer means he only has one set of job skills.

Giving him Starseer gives him all six elements and lets someone else be Sorcerer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regalingualius posted:

So does Sorcerer, though.

I personally stuck Starseer on Alfyn just to give him something to do if you’re all good on health for his turn and you don’t need him to help break an enemy.

I have Alfyn as Starseer right now and he is pretty good.

Yo that Direwolf optional boss was extremely hard, I tried to cheese it with Runeblade Tressa but he can just nullify all your buffs and summon a lot of buddies and generally ruin your fun. I tried giving Tressa all my best physical Def armor but it seems to barely matter, the wolves were still hitting for over 1000 like gently caress man.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

What am I missing with magic use? I’m halfway through chapter 2 and it feels rare that I need to use magic. It doesn’t do enough damage to counteract the fact that I’m only hitting once or twice most of the time, so I end up using regular attacks so I can break the enemy faster. I feel like I have to be missing something that would make magic use more effective.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Magic's mainly useful for groups of enemies and for characters that favor ElemAtk (Cyrus, Primrose, Ophilia). I find the two types comparable and near-equal enough, though like you mentioned it's far easier to break weapon weaknesses early on. Scholar's two-hit spells are pretty drat nice though and should last you well until you get the advanced jobs.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Some Numbers posted:

Sure, but making Cyrus your Sorcerer means he only has one set of job skills.

Giving him Starseer gives him all six elements and lets someone else be Sorcerer.

On the other hand, Sorcerer has little conflict with the role Cyrus naturally leans towards (magic offense up the wazoo).

That said, Starseer should go towards a support character to expand their support options or a magic attacker who wants to generalize more. This makes Ophilia, Cyrus, Primrose, or Alfyn good options for that class.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Asnorban posted:

What am I missing with magic use?
Elemental skill attacks always hit enemies whereas they may evade physical attacks. Elemental skills can also be AoE and/or multi-hit without boosting (so can physical skills, but not regular physical attacks without boosts).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Elemental skill attacks always hit enemies whereas they may evade physical attacks. Elemental skills can also be AoE and/or multi-hit without boosting (so can physical skills, but not regular physical attacks without boosts).

Elemental Attacks that are multiple-hits also tend to be focused on damage compared to physical skills that are multiple hits, since those tend to be more focused on the multiple hit than damage (because breaking).

Having a good source for both elemental and physical damage/hits is key.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My main was Ophilia and for a good 2/3 of the game, boosted Holy Light was among the strongest hit I could throw at a boss. Once their defences are broken, even a single target, boosted spell hits like a truck.

It was only left back in damage once I started unlocking divine skills.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yo.

gently caress that rear end in a top hat end boss.

I didn’t even get to phase two... he had 6000hp left. I think I need to spend a little bit more time leveling up my weaker dudes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Good news: if you have a Warmaster in your second group and feed them BP, the second half is almost comically easy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I needed Warmaster Olberic to have any kind of chance against the first phase. I also didn’t prepare at all for the final dungeon. And I need to go back and level up more guys because very few of them are above lv60.

Do they ever acknowledge that the hellbeast in the mural that Cyrus finds in his Ch4 is very clearly Redeye? Also, is there more content after I beat the end boss or is that it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I needed Warmaster Olberic to have any kind of chance against the first phase. I also didn’t prepare at all for the final dungeon. And I need to go back and level up more guys because very few of them are above lv60.

Do they ever acknowledge that the hellbeast in the mural that Cyrus finds in his Ch4 is very clearly Redeye? Also, is there more content after I beat the end boss or is that it?

The main content is the bits of info you get from the boss rush before the end run.

There's a little bit after the big boss, but it's not very satisfying.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Last boss just kicked my rear end too. I have everyone 60-65 and most of the best gear, do I just need to optimize better?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Looking like Octopath Traveler is coming to Steam on June 7.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm a little surprised given they made such a big deal about it's Switch exclusivity back at launch but I'm happy more people get to play the game. Wonder if the other consoles will eventually see it too.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
what level should you be for the shrine bosses? are you intended to use rather specific jobs/setups to beat them?

i beat the sorcerer by having two clerics and spamming reflective veil. ive fought the warbringer once and im thinking incite/sidestep will mitigate most of its attacks, havent found the other shrines.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

They’re basically designed to require certain combos, yeah. You practically need Runelord Tressa (thanks to Transfer Rune + Sidestep) to take on Warmaster. For Runelord himself, you want Warrior Tressa so she can Taunt and Sidestep.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
whats the best weapon to feed the warmaster skill that consumes them? ive got over 1mil leaf and no idea what to do with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Regalingualius posted:

They’re basically designed to require certain combos, yeah. You practically need Runelord Tressa (thanks to Transfer Rune + Sidestep) to take on Warmaster. For Runelord himself, you want Warrior Tressa so she can Taunt and Sidestep.

I beat Warmaster using Merchant Olberic + Warrior Tressa. Runelord might make the fight easier but "practically need" is a stretch. I don't doubt it makes the fight easy as hell since it trivializes other fights though. Being able to defense break at the right time is the biggest thing though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
ran into that wolf. whoa, seems like warmaster fight part deux

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got to the boss of Tressa's second chapter, and are they all going to have health like that from now on? Olberic's the only character who feels like he does any reasonable damage but even with him along it felt like he was never going to die.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Try getting new weapons, gear has a big effect on your damage output. Also grab the jobs if you haven't, they should all be along the Chapter 2 paths and will give you minor stat buffs in addition to more abilities.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1123439498900193284?s=19

All this time, the gang was really Fleetwood Mac.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tressa rocking out on the drums is adorable.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

When's a good time to have a go at the hidden sub-jobs? I've just finished all Chapter 2's and everyone is at least level 40, H'aanit and Therion are about to hit 60. I got a bit carried away in Goldshore. All characters have at least one sub-job mastered. Good to go or is it more something to be saved before the Traveler's Tale?

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 2, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

40s is about the right level, its when most people do them.

The bigger concern is that basically 3 of them are gimmick fights where the proper setup invalidates them but if you lack the setup theyll run roughshod over you unless you are grossly overleveled. Expect to eat dirt when you meet them unless you figure out the setup, so dont get disheartened and think you must grind.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Barudak posted:

The bigger concern is that basically 3 of them are gimmick fights where the proper setup invalidates them but if you lack the setup theyll run roughshod over you unless you are grossly overleveled.
I don't know about "grossly overleveled." Those shrines are adjacent to chaper 4 towns and have recommended levels of 50 or so. It's possible to win them without totally cheesing if you're around 50 and have completed all chapter 3s, but it's also possible to get the advanced jobs early by cheesing them.

I waited to get the advanced jobs myself, but if playing again I'd probably try to get them early. Runelord in particular is so broken. Having your entire team do 9,999+ attacks each turn is unbelievable.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Many thanks. I've tackled the Sorcerer which took a few attempts to figure out the right approach but once I had a pattern worked out it was a manageable waiting game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I have no idea why Square thought my last name was medieval-sounding enough to give to Olberic, but I'm down with it. I'm still getting the gang together, I've got the merchant girl whose name escapes me as my fourth member.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

I have no idea why Square thought my last name was medieval-sounding enough to give to Olberic, but I'm down with it. I'm still getting the gang together, I've got the merchant girl whose name escapes me as my fourth member.

Wow, how could you forget Tressa's name, you monster?

She's the best.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopath Traveler is out on Steam today. Apparently supports 60fps and 4k resolutions, reviews seem positive on the port.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was level grinding for the end boss and had almost all my guys to lv70 when I read that you could use Bewildering Grace to get EXP and JP multipliers. Welp, that could have saved me a lot of time. I also didn’t know that the EXP/JP increasing accessories stack with the skills (at least I think they do?)

Anyway is it worth it to grind out a second set of battle-tested weapons or should I just run headfirst at the end boss with what I have?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Mega64 posted:

Octopath Traveler is out on Steam today. Apparently supports 60fps and 4k resolutions, reviews seem positive on the port.

Been excited for this just for the possibility someone mods in the ability to bench your first pick before beating the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was level grinding for the end boss and had almost all my guys to lv70 when I read that you could use Bewildering Grace to get EXP and JP multipliers. Welp, that could have saved me a lot of time. I also didn’t know that the EXP/JP increasing accessories stack with the skills (at least I think they do?)

Anyway is it worth it to grind out a second set of battle-tested weapons or should I just run headfirst at the end boss with what I have?

Apparently it's more efficient to grind regularly than rely on BG procs. The x100 multiplier is a 1/1000 chance of triggering for each, and only at max boost. Plus there's always the small chance you accidentally wipe your party. It's something you may mess with if your Dancer goes before your Sorcerer, but otherwise it's faster to just first-turn nuke your foes with Sorcerer.

You shouldn't need a second set of battle-tested weapons, though you probably want to make sure you've at least cleaned out the NPCs of their good weapons and armor first. You'll want to gear all eight characters up appropriately.