Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwE2zUS30D8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

welp even though my first code keyboard was kind of disappointing I went ahead and ordered a WASD (no backlight) with clears because I need something that works

upside: they have a sku now that comes with a no-frills doubleshot PBT keyset at no extra cost. Still waiting for the greenpos/amberpos massdrop set to get produced again tho

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-admgc-sa-green-screen-custom-keycap-set

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
switching between something ortholinear and something not ortholinear is kind of a pita. might have to find some cheap small ortholinear thing to use in place of my laptop;'s kb

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Combined two of my keyboards this weekend

The layout is the 34-key layout from the Minidox, and the capped keys are Kailh Coppers. I didn't remove the unused switches because they're part of how the flexible PCBs are held in place in a Kinesis Advantage, I might 3d print a cover or replacement for them if I stick with this. Inside is a Teensy++ running QMK. There's also a functional trackpoint inside, I just need to figure out how I want to mount it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fib posted:

Combined two of my keyboards this weekend

The layout is the 34-key layout from the Minidox, and the capped keys are Kailh Coppers. I didn't remove the unused switches because they're part of how the flexible PCBs are held in place in a Kinesis Advantage, I might 3d print a cover or replacement for them if I stick with this. Inside is a Teensy++ running QMK. There's also a functional trackpoint inside, I just need to figure out how I want to mount it.

:stare:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Those are too many keys, you only have 10 fingers :mad:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

34 keys? how the hell do you do anything? chords? chords loving suck.

lmbo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorded_keyboard#Open-source_designs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hacking keyboards together is cool don't listen to these noobs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

are any of the "quiet" mechanical switches actually quiet? I have a das keyboard with (iirc) the quiet red/brown switches and I am informed that it is still loud as gently caress and "I can hear you in the next room through a closed door oh god stop clacking please" so getting that at work is going to be a no no, but it's so much nicer to type on than the poo poo membrane one I had or the low travel scissor one I pinched off an unused desk.

the das keyboard has nice knob feel on the volume control fyi, I really like it. it's also more than heavy enough to be used as a weapon.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

reds actuate silently but do nothing to dampen the sound of the key hitting the bottom of the channel. the rubber/silicone parts on a normal keyboard dampen a lot of that noise. get some o rings

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

are any of the "quiet" mechanical switches actually quiet? I have a das keyboard with (iirc) the quiet red/brown switches and I am informed that it is still loud as gently caress and "I can hear you in the next room through a closed door oh god stop clacking please" so getting that at work is going to be a no no, but it's so much nicer to type on than the poo poo membrane one I had or the low travel scissor one I pinched off an unused desk.

the das keyboard has nice knob feel on the volume control fyi, I really like it. it's also more than heavy enough to be used as a weapon.

i would like to know this too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

o-rings will quiet a keyboard but they only dampen the downstroke and they can feel mushy.

silent switches dampen upstroke and downstroke with less mushiness

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

reds actuate silently but do nothing to dampen the sound of the key hitting the bottom of the channel. the rubber/silicone parts on a normal keyboard dampen a lot of that noise. get some o rings

hmmm, i think that i might actually have browns in this keyboard (i guess i should prise the keys off and check), not reds which wont help, but it does look like it might mostly be bottoming out that's making the noise so the o rings might help.

i also watched this slightly weird video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP1p7-QeuRU

comparing key noise which has the conclusion of "if you want a really quiet keyaboard you'll have to get one that sucks"

mewse
May 2, 2006

comparing key noise which has the conclusion of "if you want a really quiet keyaboard you'll have to get one that sucks"

His videos always have a bunch of weird vintage switches because he's a keyboard hoarder.

For current production it's either MX silents or matias quiet click

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

who is it that says you’re not supposed to bottom out at all? like typing form is some platonic ideal

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
clack away, how else are people supposed to know work is getting done?

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Share Bear posted:

34 keys? how the hell do you do anything? chords? chords loving suck.

lmbo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorded_keyboard#Open-source_designs

It's not a chording or steno layout, just uses two separate layer switch keys and a 'mod-tap' home row:

If a key has a front legend, then that's the shift/modifier it turns into if you hold it for more than 200ms. A tap shorter than 200ms outputs the top legend. The thumb keys two different layer switches when held (green and purple here); holding both on one side gives a third layer (yellow). The home row keys act as shift/ctrl/alt/cmd when held for 200ms.

This is my favourite chording keyboard, the WriteHander:

https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/detail.aspx?id=6

quote:

The thumb pushes one of the other eight coloured buttons. The chords are the eight-bit ASCII code for the desired character, with the fingers defining the four low-order bits and the single thumb key pressed defining the four high-order bits.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Fib posted:

It's not a chording or steno layout, just uses two separate layer switch keys and a 'mod-tap' home row:

If a key has a front legend, then that's the shift/modifier it turns into if you hold it for more than 200ms. A tap shorter than 200ms outputs the top legend. The thumb keys two different layer switches when held (green and purple here); holding both on one side gives a third layer (yellow). The home row keys act as shift/ctrl/alt/cmd when held for 200ms.

This is my favourite chording keyboard, the WriteHander:

https://www.microsoft.com/buxtoncollection/detail.aspx?id=6

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

who is it that says you’re not supposed to bottom out at all? like typing form is some platonic ideal

dipshits on reddit and geekhack

ignore them

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

mewse posted:

His videos always have a bunch of weird vintage switches because he's a keyboard hoarder.

For current production it's either MX silents or matias quiet click

did the price of old keyboards jump through the roof the in past couple of years? his collection must be worth a shitload now.

i ordered an apple extended keyboard the other day because of his videos, looking forward to some gross old yellow plastic

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

did the price of old keyboards jump through the roof the in past couple of years? his collection must be worth a shitload now.

i ordered an apple extended keyboard the other day because of his videos, looking forward to some gross old yellow plastic

I think so. The hobby took off and the young nerdlings grew up and have disposable income, hence massdrop mech keyboard section

I have some AEK2s but want an AEK1.. there was one locally but it was an ebay seller with zero feedback who didn't know how to change shipping price

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

mewse posted:

I think so. The hobby took off and the young nerdlings grew up and have disposable income, hence massdrop mech keyboard section

I have some AEK2s but want an AEK1.. there was one locally but it was an ebay seller with zero feedback who didn't know how to change shipping price

nice. yeah i specifically went for the AEK1. I've got an old filco with mx blues and a leopold fc660c to compare it to. I agree with the keyboard video guy that mx blues do have a weird plasticy click though, although I think mine have gotten better after about 5 years of usage.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

As the session was drawing to an end and the participants where preparing for the group picture, I saw Stallman trying to put back his shoes on. I noticed that it seemed difficult for him to do that so I asked, “Richard, do you need help?”. And he said, yes and mumbled something about pain on his shoulders if he stretched his arms towards his feet.

And so there I was, at the right place and right time, to help Richard Stallman put back his shoes on. I’m sure this is a non-significant event in the overall chain of events in the IT world. But I can say to myself, I have paid back a little bit to the founder of FSF. If not for his work, the Internet might be a different thing and I may be somewhere else.

uh... I have it on good authority that rms has no trouble reaching down to his feet

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steno is cool as gently caress you guys are losers.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

are any of the "quiet" mechanical switches actually quiet? I have a das keyboard with (iirc) the quiet red/brown switches

right now i use a $40 kb i bought on amazon with outemu browns at work and nobody's complained but i know your situation may vary.

matias quiet pro is really the best option I guess, but i have a unit that's had a few switches go bad and it's out of warranty. i have soldering equipment and spare switches but i just haven't prioritized taking care of it is all.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

There Will Be Penalty posted:

right now i use a $40 kb i bought on amazon with outemu browns at work and nobody's complained but i know your situation may vary.

matias quiet pro is really the best option I guess, but i have a unit that's had a few switches go bad and it's out of warranty. i have soldering equipment and spare switches but i just haven't prioritized taking care of it is all.

hmm reviews say its hella unreliable but I could maybe get away with quiet reds with o rings or similar.

maybe I should get a super loud blue switch, piss everybody off then switch to red so by comparison it's really quiey

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
keyboard catte get off! you can't even type!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

cattes actually can type, they're just not very good at it

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Taintrunner posted:

I like the idea of different shaped function keys, it reminds me of the story of nuclear power plant operators putting different shaped beer tap handles on important levers to tell them apart. I do have one question though: does it not hurt to press that Zaku?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

nice. yeah i specifically went for the AEK1. I've got an old filco with mx blues and a leopold fc660c to compare it to. I agree with the keyboard video guy that mx blues do have a weird plasticy click though, although I think mine have gotten better after about 5 years of usage.
:whatup: aek1 brosef
still the best keeb I've ever tried

matias quiet pro is an acceptable substitute - I have one at work. there are people here who really hammer away at their macbook keebs (or apple wireless boards) who make more noise than i do.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 20, 2019

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmm reviews say its hella unreliable but I could maybe get away with quiet reds with o rings or similar.

maybe I should get a super loud blue switch, piss everybody off then switch to red so by comparison it's really quiey

one of my coworkers pulled this stunt, it works

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

TheFluff posted:

:whatup: aek1 brosef
still the best keeb I've ever tried

ya it arrived today- it's pretty cool apart from the switches seem a bit rough and not that tactile. my plan is to literally take apart every switch over a month and clean them out. cool hobby

on the upside my converter works despite my lovely soldering skills

CLASS 2 PERVERSION fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 20, 2019

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

all working! cleaned out every switch and fiddled the springs a bit to make it more tactile again.

this keyboard is really good. i feel very quick on it, much faster than on the filco with blues in the background. just the shape of it is really good.

mewse
May 2, 2006

all working! cleaned out every switch and fiddled the springs a bit to make it more tactile again.

this keyboard is really good. i feel very quick on it, much faster than on the filco with blues in the background. just the shape of it is really good.

Nice. My AEK2 is scratchy as poo poo because I haven't had the patience to clean every switch

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

beautiful

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
no bowls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

“kinesis freestyle pro/edge is just fine” crew checking in