Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Bupropion is really good. Sadly, it makes me gain weight like crazy so I can't be on it but it really is the best antidepressant in the group of S/N/DRIs.

that's a bummer. i know it was previously known as the "hot and horny" drug because it didnt kill libido and cause weight gain. dont know how true it is, but it seems to be working ok for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It probably increases libido, if anything. The weight isn't a big deal, I gained like 25lbs in 6 weeks and then I've dropped most of it in the couple months since but I was on it previously from 18-21 and went from 185lbs to 325lbs and didn't know why because everyone told me it was weight neutral, if not anorexic for most people. Turns out it isn't for me! My experience is super unusual though and I still recommend it to most people who need an AD.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MadJackal posted:

I emphatically endorse Wellbutrin to all of CSPAM.

i did really well on that, then my doctor had my try another drug and things got worse and now she won't switch me back lol

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bupropion owns, also fun fact it was coformulated with naltrexone (a drug that helps people with alcohol cravings / abuse) into a pretty drat effective weight loss drug, and although the coformulated pill (Contrave) costs an arm and a leg and isn’t covered by any insurers, the components are dirt cheap if prescribed separately. They should really put this poo poo into the water supply, at least in the US.

Bass Concert Hall has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Mar 18, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
dang now I want to try Wellbutrin again

maybe it’ll work this time?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

welbutrin helped me for a while, but ultimately petered out and moving up to 300mg gave me tinitus. :smith:

HOWEVER, if welbutrin helped but did the same thing to you, i really rec trying emsam -- it's an maoi, but is a patch and doesn't require dietary restriction at the starting dose (and may not req huge adjustments at higher dose, but that's best left to talking with your pdoc & reading about). but it's expensive as hell if your rx insurance don't wanna cover it. like, $1800+/mo.

it's the most well tolerated anti-d i've ever taken, and definitely helped. from what i've read, it switches from being more of an mao-b to more mao-a inhibitor as dosage moves up, which has better antidepressant effects. plus it's fairly activating, partly metabolizes to amphetamine/methamphetamine (very small doses tho!!), which is why i compare it to bupropion.

it's a kinda fascinating med imo, and if i weren't taking stimulant ADHD meds, i'd get back on it. but now i'm taking trazodone, and that, plus actually sleeping and severely restricting my phone usage has helped a ton.

also i fuckin hate smartphones and everyday i think about buying a dumb phone and smashing this one to bits. i really don't believe that there's a way to use these things healthily; even the app blocks and time limits i use are just harm reduction. and i hope that one day we consider them like fuckin smokes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gnossiennes posted:

welbutrin helped me for a while, but ultimately petered out and moving up to 300mg gave me tinitus. :smith:

HOWEVER, if welbutrin helped but did the same thing to you, i really rec trying emsam -- it's an maoi, but is a patch and doesn't require dietary restriction at the starting dose (and may not req huge adjustments at higher dose, but that's best left to talking with your pdoc & reading about). but it's expensive as hell if your rx insurance don't wanna cover it. like, $1800+/mo.

it's the most well tolerated anti-d i've ever taken, and definitely helped. from what i've read, it switches from being more of an mao-b to more mao-a inhibitor as dosage moves up, which has better antidepressant effects. plus it's fairly activating, partly metabolizes to amphetamine/methamphetamine (very small doses tho!!), which is why i compare it to bupropion.

it's a kinda fascinating med imo, and if i weren't taking stimulant ADHD meds, i'd get back on it. but now i'm taking trazodone, and that, plus actually sleeping and severely restricting my phone usage has helped a ton.

also i fuckin hate smartphones and everyday i think about buying a dumb phone and smashing this one to bits. i really don't believe that there's a way to use these things healthily; even the app blocks and time limits i use are just harm reduction. and i hope that one day we consider them like fuckin smokes.

*hacking and wheezing around gasps from oxygen tank* I will never log off

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
When medication has side effects for weight gain, does it make you more hungry or just maintain more weight from your original diet?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bass Concert Hall posted:

Bupropion owns, also fun fact it was coformulated with naltrexone (a drug that helps people with alcohol cravings / abuse) into a pretty drat effective weight loss drug, and although the coformulated pill (Contrave) costs an arm and a leg and isn’t covered by any insurers, the components are dirt cheap if prescribed separately. They should really put this poo poo into the water supply, at least in the US.

It's also in the process of being coformulated with DXM and the results are very promising.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion/dextromethorphan

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wellbutrin worked well for me for several years. The best thing about it is it helped me quit smoking really easily. I was in college and my smoker friends were really pissed that I was quitting to the point that they'd light a cigarette and put it up to my mouth, which was a real dick move but whatevs I kicked the habit cold turkey anyway.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

succ posted:

When medication has side effects for weight gain, does it make you more hungry or just maintain more weight from your original diet?

Almost always the former or a mix of the two with appetite change being the majority of the effect. There's some exceptions (prednisone) but typically what'll happen is appetite increase or a drug will make you crave sugar or something. Even like five extra bites of food per day on average will work out to gaining a couple pounds a month (not trying to give anyone an eating disorder, just saying that almost imperceptible changed in appetite can have on body weight).

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

Wellbutrin worked well for me for several years. The best thing about it is it helped me quit smoking really easily. I was in college and my smoker friends were really pissed that I was quitting to the point that they'd light a cigarette and put it up to my mouth, which was a real dick move but whatevs I kicked the habit cold turkey anyway.

Jesus in the morning and Christ all night.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

succ posted:

little of both. Since your endocrine system is getting fiddled with via feel good hormones, you’re both more likely to act on cravings and more likely to have your digestion system retain it and/or water.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Unfortunately Gary busey still has my endocrine system

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Overall I feel a lot but I'm having these really intense moments where I just feel like everything is pointless.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CODChimera posted:

Overall I feel a lot but I'm having these really intense moments where I just feel like everything is pointless.
:same:
welcome to america

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Want to go back to when I was just catastrophizing and not actually correct.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Interestingly, I have a lot fewer issues with catastrophizing when I'm actually working with something dangerous. Sitting at home reading a book? Devastating anxiety that makes up a reason for itself. Cleaning samples in piranha solution, which will explode on contact with any other organic material? I'm fine, because I know what I'm worried about.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Mar 18, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
If you work with piranha soln regularly being a nervous wreck is sanity and being calm is insanity

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Semiconductor research was a blast and a half, let me tell you. Still better than gas mask QA though.

...I probably should have gotten a different degree. gently caress chemistry.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Mar 18, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

Interestingly, I have a lot fewer issues with catastrophizing when I'm actually working with something dangerous. Sitting at home reading a book? Devastating anxiety that makes up a reason for itself. Cleaning samples in piranha solution, which will explode on contact with any other organic material? I'm fine, because I know what I'm worried about.

the imagined is almost always more terrifying than the real because it doesn’t have to follow any physical laws

which is yet one more reason we’re now all in a constant state of psychic terror

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I had my second therapy appointment today. it was good and helpful. I'm going to a new doc in a couple weeks and will hopefully get medicated for my dang anxiety and depression.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

I had my second therapy appointment today. it was good and helpful. I'm going to a new doc in a couple weeks and will hopefully get medicated for my dang anxiety and depression.

:hai:

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Wellbutrin chat: made my fiance feel uncomfortable and nauseated all the time. If you're real anxious /high strung maybe dont hang all your hopes on it

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’ve suffered off and on with depression for basically my whole life. i grew up with alcoholic parents who both died of alcohol related issues in the past 5 years (I’m 30). When my mom passed a little over a year ago my doctor put me on Wellbutrin, it gave me a huge manic episode.

I then went on Lamictal and it’s been pretty okay. I still struggle with depression and social anxiety but the medication has helped with my panic attacks.

I had therapy for a bit but decided to try swimming and guitar lessons as an alternative. it has been okay but I think I am going to go back into therapy because I still get major depressive episodes.

One book/author/topic that has helped me is self-compassion. If you are hard or self critical, I recommend checking it out. https://self-compassion.org

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe I have depression but some days I don’t think I do. still wishin for cancer tho

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Automatonic Water posted:

Wellbutrin chat: made my fiance feel uncomfortable and nauseated all the time. If you're real anxious /high strung maybe dont hang all your hopes on it

When I talked to my p-doc about it yesterday, she did mention Wellbutrin can cause anxiety spikes. She put me on Deplin and a massive dose of vitamin D instead. If you're reading this, you have a vitamin D deficiency. Yes, you. You know who you are. It exacerbates seasonal affective disorder and can also cause joint pain. I'm going to add it to the OP.

Presenting Nipples posted:

One book/author/topic that has helped me is self-compassion. If you are hard or self critical, I recommend checking it out. https://self-compassion.org

Addin to the op too

echinopsis posted:

maybe I have depression but some days I don’t think I do. still wishin for cancer tho

please don't, it's nasty and not a good way to go :(

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

While I no longer have depression, I do have a debilitating mental illness that has to be controlled with medication. I just wanted to say if you do have anxiety/depression, exercise (workouts that get your heart rate up, not just lifting weights) does wonders for mental health. I just did an easy workout that consisted of jogging for 30 minutes. I suggest y'all do the same, if possible.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The day I truly, completely believe that nothing will ever get better is the day I die. I don't understand why this shouldn't be my choice.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The day I truly, completely believe that nothing will ever get better is the day I die. I don't understand why this shouldn't be my choice.

no one can force you to do anything but suicide sucks no matter what, please find something good in your life you can hold onto

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

no one can force you to do anything but suicide sucks no matter what, please find something good in your life you can hold onto

I do. It's hope.
If that goes, I go.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I do. It's hope.
If that goes, I go.

find a therapist it will help

whether or not you have anything left to live for is not something you want to get wrong when you’re calculating and being in the midst of a suicidal episode means your brain is not going to be screwed on straight to start with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

When I talked to my p-doc about it yesterday, she did mention Wellbutrin can cause anxiety spikes. She put me on Deplin and a massive dose of vitamin D instead. If you're reading this, you have a vitamin D deficiency. Yes, you. You know who you are. It exacerbates seasonal affective disorder and can also cause joint pain. I'm going to add it to the OP.

Addin to the op too

please don't, it's nasty and not a good way to go :(
yeah I don’t think it would be good but it would be absent of all the suicide bits

I mean, there are plenty of reasons for me to live, lots of people like me and want me around, and it’s clear my kids need me, it’s just that my personal experience is lots of sadness and struggle, and feel I have relegated myself to surviving for the sake of others.. increasing my life insurance significantly would benefit others too tho 🤔

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

echinopsis posted:

yeah I don’t think it would be good but it would be absent of all the suicide bits

I mean, there are plenty of reasons for me to live, lots of people like me and want me around, and it’s clear my kids need me, it’s just that my personal experience is lots of sadness and struggle, and feel I have relegated myself to surviving for the sake of others.. increasing my life insurance significantly would benefit others too tho 🤔

read man’s search for meaning imo it’s a good rear end book

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

find a therapist it will help

whether or not you have anything left to live for is not something you want to get wrong when you’re calculating and being in the midst of a suicidal episode means your brain is not going to be screwed on straight to start with

Sunk cost fallacy comes to mind. Why keep digging if there's no light at the end of the tunnel anymore?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

Yeah I don't have anyone who depends on me like a kid but I have plenty of people who care about me and would be devastated if I killed myself but I don't really see a point in living solely for their sakes.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CODChimera posted:

Everything is pointless! It's great! Do something that makes you happy!

Now if nothing makes you happy, that's anhedonia and is a pretty bad condition that can be helped.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Consummate Professional posted:

Hell yeah brother

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Automatonic Water posted:

This is really, really common for the first couple weeks. Small doses of dimenhydrinate will help if you feel it's worth sticking through because it's basically motion sickness. It'll happen for a couple weeks until the D3 receptors in your brain stem adapt to the excess dopamine then it should stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Just respect my choice, or at least try to, if I decide I'm done. That's all I want