Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Share your wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm not gonna lie, that AMAHD has actual savings is the most surprising thing i've ever read in this thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Trebuchet King posted:

i'm not gonna lie, that AMAHD has actual savings is the most surprising thing i've ever read in this thread.

It's not hard to save a decent chunk if you pay for everything with tip money and are okay at regularly depositing some of it (assuming your rent isn't heinous).

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Skwirl posted:

It's not hard to save a decent chunk if you pay for everything with tip money and are okay at regularly depositing some of it (assuming your rent isn't heinous).

Also, don't develop a drug habit.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Quabzor posted:

wrong thread m8

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Quabzor posted:

Caffeine counts.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Skwirl posted:

right, but this is AMAHD

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Quabzor posted:

Sir, this is the restaurant industry thread.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Republicans posted:

I'm pretty sure they just pour some in every pitcher/glass.

Yeah. We used to use a cup of food coloring and cocktail straw. All you need is a couple of drops per pitcher. Just put it in before pouring. Any more and it messes up the taste of the beer and they'll poop green for a week.

It's not as funny when it happens to you.

St Pat's is a massive celebration where I used to live, and the owner of the local college dive bar i used to work at retired last July. The whole building is getting rebuilt right now, and he's sold the bar.

You know what he got to do Saturday afternoon of St. Pat's that he hasn't been able to do in 18 years? Stay at home and play with his kids. He is happy.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 19, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Green's not even that bad about it.

Black food coloring, though... you can absolutely taste it, and your digestive tract will alarm you later. I always used to try to talk people into doing chocolate instead if they wanted black icing on things.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's always funny when someone eats a bunch of beets for the first time in awhile and forgets about it. I know that's happened to me.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Beets thing has happened to me, worst though was one night after getting the spins (don't smoke blunts AFTER you get drunk, smoke them and then drink) I threw up and there were traces of red in there, I'm wracking my brain trying to remember if I'd eaten anything red all day, nothing. Omg it's finally happened I'm puking blood. An hour of total panic later I remember the kim chi oyster shooters.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Solution: Do kim chi oyster shooters every day.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
scary beet poops 'cause you forgot are 100% the number one best thing about eating beets

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Sextro posted:

This thread has done nothing but steer me in the right direction every time I've posted.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Among its other distinct qualities of being a fine $1.89 malt beverage, blackberry flavored Steel Reserve will make your poop a rich, vibrant shade of forest green. How a purple-hued drink makes that happen is probably best left a mystery. Conversely, watermelon-flavored Nerds candy, which are green, will turn your tongue pitch black if you eat an entire box in one go like I did as a kid. Again, some strange coloring alchemy at work, there.

Glad we all seem to have survived St Pat's... seems at my place, I actually got the best possible shift. We apparently got slammed for lunch after the parade ended and everyone was looking to get something to eat, but by the time I came in that afternoon for closing, most people were there to drink, maybe get some fried bar snacks. Kitchen was busy but I never got even close to weeds; Friday was worse. FOH, now those poor souls had to deal with drunk assholes puking and starting fights in the bathrooms and the usual amateur hour crap. Then again, I overheard a couple servers today saying they pulled $500-600 in tips. Yeah, I'd be okay with mopping puke for like $75-100/hr.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's always funny when someone eats a bunch of beets for the first time in awhile and forgets about it. I know that's happened to me.

When I was a baby my parents accidentally turned me orange.

They took me to the pediatrician because they thought I was jaundiced, and his first question was 'What are you feeding this kid?'. 'Well, pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes...' 'Give him something green.'

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sextro posted:

Do you chew this or just gulp it down

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you chew this or just gulp it down

Industry veterans snort them.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

Industry veterans snort them.

Came here to make this exact post

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

When I was a baby my parents accidentally turned me orange.

They took me to the pediatrician because they thought I was jaundiced, and his first question was 'What are you feeding this kid?'. 'Well, pumpkin, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes...' 'Give him something green.'

Holy poo poo, you're the nerd from magic school bus

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Holy poo poo, you're the nerd from magic school bus

Ralphie.

"At my old school we never got caramel burns working graveyards"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Had an employee get into a fender bender coming back from delivering catering today... an hour after he was supposed to be back from the delivery. And then he got arrested for an out-of-state warrant and is now in the county lockup.

Fun times!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Hauki posted:

wrong thread m8

I was one of the few in my circle that didn't do any drugs, but hey instead I just had debilitating depression. Yay!!

But it's all good now I've been going to therapy for 2 years and it's been a big help -- TLDR I always blamed myself as the reason for feeling lovely, but now I realize I can feel lovely for literally no reason at all, and half of it was all made worse by trying to put meaning to something purely random. Also soulcycle helps.

Still rocking the alcohol gig.. most days I find I want to teach people how to Excel gooder, but usually it's quicker to just do it myself. Five years in and the joy of "anything but sweating my rear end off and being yelled at every weekend" has worn off, and I'm starting to look for more meaningful employment. And maybe a 2nd tattoo (first one is of my lovely avatar here).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

Had an employee get into a fender bender coming back from delivering catering today... an hour after he was supposed to be back from the delivery. And then he got arrested for an out-of-state warrant and is now in the county lockup.

Fun times!

Assuming it's something like unpaid tickets or for something minor they'll probably let him go rather than pay to extradite him.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I left the restaurant industry to work for a charity teaching kids how to make healthy food and so far I've lost weight, quit drinking, adopted a dog, had my depression and anxiety levels plummet and generally feel 100 times better. Is this how normal people feel?

Only downside of the new job is 12 year olds are terrifying to teach, I turned around the other day and they were using a vegetable knife to play that game where you stab between your fingers. When I called them out on it they said "we're being careful!" which, no, no they were not.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Ehhh they have ten fingers. What's one lost?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Catfishenfuego posted:

Is this how normal people feel?

Hauki posted:

wrong thread m8

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Skwirl posted:

Assuming it's something like unpaid tickets or for something minor they'll probably let him go rather than pay to extradite him.

Considering he's been moved from county lockup to state and has a $25k bond, I suspect it's a little more than an unpaid ticket.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Sup dudes. Seattle is a cool town. Ended up with a massive 1br in West Seattle for $1200/mo. Now just deciding if I want to cook part time or find a full time AM gig while I take night classes for AutoCAD certs, then go back to college and finish out an engineering degree.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Coasterphreak posted:

Considering he's been moved from county lockup to state and has a $25k bond, I suspect it's a little more than an unpaid ticket.

The back of house: a greater hive of scum and villainy. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042009

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bloody ghost titty posted:

The back of house: a greater hive of scum and villainy. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042009

I just prefer the ones smart enough to not get caught. Unfortunately, they usually find a more lucrative position in marketing or sales.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

most of this comic has happened to me, IRL. its actually kind of eerily well fitting, and I'm slightly freaked out right now.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Lost power from 6-8 on Friday night. Thank God it's Lent so we were kind of dead anyway, but made it through and half the customers didnt realize there were no lights until well after sunset. My favorite was having to apologize for not having fresher coffee (can't brew more) and her being very understanding and telling me that it's no prob, I can just microwave it to heat it up more for her.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I mean it sounds like your spot doesn't care much and idk exactly what you do but it's hella illegal to operate without all the safety and quality appliances that run on electricity

My town has stupid weird infrastructure and in the last couple years large swathes have lost power a few times and sometimes it affects us and sometimes it affects every other restaurant downtown and we get randomly slammed on a Tuesday as the only restaurant not affected by someone drunk driving into a transformer at 430pm

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah the owner is 100% on the "we are open no matter what so long as there is some method of making food for people". My only real worry was the vent hood and while there was a min or two where it was smokey it wasn't terrible. I think the worst was when we lost water entirely due to a water main up the street exploding or whatever and he rigged some insane thing involving a hose from his house next door which is apparently on a different section of the grid since they never lose power/water when poo poo happens. I am 100% sure that was illegal. loving Italians man, idk what to tell you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah all of that is both illegal and an OSHA inspectors wet dream.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And probably in violation of so much of health code it's not even funny.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah the owner is batshit loco, I have no idea how we've never been fined for any of the insane poo poo he pulls. 9 year anniversary coming up in April! I've been here way the whole time, and I think its about time to get me a 9-5, getting hitched soon and the fiancee keeps getting random raises at work so I can finally afford the pay cut going to a bullshit office job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

I remember getting an achewood cookbook for like my birthday or christmas years and years ago, it was surprisingly legit -- I think whoever makes it definitely has industry experience.