Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why you wouldn't split. It's the most guaranteed feel goods for most parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

neaden posted:

A magic MMO? In 2019? I'm not really sure what they are going for here.

Page is already down so I guess not?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's the same amount of feel goods!

CFB doesn't say, "Oh, you're splitting? Let's just add another one person to the higher tier payout then!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope they print more good cantrips in the next two sets so Drakes doesn’t totally die after rotation

Although I guess the deck can just switch to a more Phoenix heavy build

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

odiv posted:

Why just outside the match? If I don't know my opponent then their situation should be immaterial to me too if we're looking at the pure EV of a decision.

(also please edit my stupid adverse typo out, tia)

Your opponent's situation is material to the draw/play out decision because both players' payout factors into the EV calculation.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lotta people itt jumping through hoops to justify taking 1:5 odds on a fuckin coinflip

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

When I played Champs, my last round opponent and I agreed to a prize split and played for standings. The prizes were $250 for top 16 and $100 for top 32, and I just wanted $175 for the 2 $80 Japanese Rishadan Ports they had.

That way everybody wins! Especially me because I can still tell everyone I got 12th at the biggest vintage tournament ever held instead of like 31st or whatever my opponent got, or the high teens we probably would have gotten if we'd drawn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Getting to 30 points means you get a pro point right? They could have been playing for that.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Getting to 30 points means you get a pro point right? They could have been playing for that.

Don’t pro points not exist anymore?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Pro points don't exist now, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lone Goat posted:

lotta people itt jumping through hoops to justify taking 1:5 odds on a fuckin coinflip

depends on how good you are at calling coin flips. according to the story baron tells the guy increased his take 50 bucks for 50 minutes work. that's probably more than most of us make in our cube farms for a given hours work :downs:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I don't think you can justify being annoyed at anyone for not taking an ID at a competitive game, no matter what prizes are involved. I don't have a problem with people offering them, but if the opponent says "no," just play it out and move on. This is no different from Efro talking about "concession equity," so I don't really understand the vitriol against people saying that they wouldn't necessarily always ID.

I know in Baron's case the opponent was an rear end in a top hat about it, so I'm not saying the opponent acted reasonably, but if the fact that they didn't want to draw bothered you (anyone here), you should probably re-evaluate how deep into competitive magic you are, because that's some serious stockholm syndrome poo poo.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

TheKingofSprings posted:

Winnipeg doesn’t have much in the way of other options for places to pick them up from.

Facetoface had them on their site last year so I'll bet they'll have them again

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jesus can we go back to rare redraft chat

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Exactly this. By saying you'd rather play it out, in essence you're saying exactly what others have been saying here: that $250 is worth less to you than the idea of winning that match for some reason, whether that's to get a few more points for your ego or that you are truly an rear end in a top hat and enjoy the idea of taking that away from your opponent or whatever. These are perfectly valid reasons to value playing that match out over taking the money, none of which make you someone I would ever want to know.

the only reason you're spending your entire day at a magic tournament is because you value playing competitive games of magic in order to try and win more than everyone else more than earning money with that time or doing any number of other things

like they seem like they might have been a dick but you're being incredibly entitled that it is wrong of them to want to do...the exact activity you're all there to do...so im kinda suspecting that perhaps they weren't that big of a dick and you were just projecting your being upset they wouldn't just give you what you wanted

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The EV of redraft chat is strictly lower for everyone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

is everyone obliged to announce their rare picks to help people discuss splits in a rare redraft scenario?

sometimes i like to deckbuild my picks in secret so as to retain that edge

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

depends on how good you are at calling coin flips. according to the story baron tells the guy increased his take 50 bucks for 50 minutes work. that's probably more than most of us make in our cube farms for a given hours work :downs:

i work in a warehouse

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i work in a warehouse

i sleep in a racecar

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

tbh this thread is a lot more fun when it goes off on some random garbage topic than the relentless negativity that is any normal discussion

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

admanb posted:

tbh this thread is a lot more fun when it goes off on some random garbage topic than the relentless negativity that is any normal discussion

once the live action remake is released from the disney vault™, i am going to buy you a new avvy with the closest frame grab i can find of blue wilhelm schmidt

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

once the live action remake is released from the disney vault™, i am going to buy you a new avvy with the closest frame grab i can find of blue wilhelm schmidt

that will be awful. thank you

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The person who refuses to chop up the top 8 is always one of the people who don't make the semis. Just FYI.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That sounds pretty results oriented.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

The person who refuses to chop up the top 8 is always one of the people who don't make the semis. Just FYI.

The one time I got top 8 at an open the only person who didn't want to chop was BBD and he won, but also, that's BBD and he can pull that off and it work out for him.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

i work in a warehouse

Owlbear Camus posted:

i sleep in a racecar

can you two please stop bragging about your blessed lives?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

C-Euro posted:

Page is already down so I guess not?

Link got messed up, here you go: http://epicstream.com/news/JakeVyper/Magic-The-Gathering-MMORPG-in-Development-From-Cryptic-Studios

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

That MMO was announced two years ago. The shocking thing is that it hasn't been killed yet.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

My friend, let me tell you about the wonder of unions and overtime.

and crushing student loan debt that still makes life barely manageable with an average of >16 hours of overtime a week

Sickening posted:

The one time it happened to me, he lost in the semis. I split and won the finals :smuggo: Thanks for the extra $150, Stu! I also crushed affinity at 2/0 at the last GP side event I played after he refused to split, even when he was down a game. My favorite thing is crushing people who no-sir the split.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

admanb posted:

That MMO was announced two years ago. The shocking thing is that it hasn't been killed yet.

the only thing stopping wotc from sinking large amounts of resources into a bunch of failed projects is they don't bother putting resources into anything

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I would play a video game based on the Magic license but an MMO ain't it. No I'm not counting online clients for the actual card game when I say this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

They would make SO MUCH money if they just made Shandalar with new cards. Don't even upgrade the graphics. Literally just add all the cards in the game. Keep ante, keep the ridiculous difficulty curve, keep the brokenness of building a deck with only Shivan Dragon and always starting with one in play against the castle bosses.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Shandalar is dope, but I played it just last year and have to say that it's a bit dated. The core idea is excellent but the overworld stuff needs some iteration. You basically just walk from town to town looking for a quest, then the quest says travel to the next town and you'll get a gem. Then you just do that a bunch and occasionally explore a dungeon to get a power 9 card, and occasionally hit the random encounter that lets you buy whatever card you want, and occasionally hit the encounter that lets you get an additional copy of a card in your deck, and eventually you're finally strong enough to win the game. If they improved the stuff between owning NPCs with your channel mind twist or whatever fun poo poo you're running it would be perfect.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
lmao old mate doesn't need justification to play out a competitive match no matter how y'all spin it, especially considering it paid off

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

neaden posted:

This is literally the 2017 announcement that somebody is posting for clicks in 2019.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Three pages of poo poo chat, and no one has commented that they literally have a walker Spirit Bomb going on here?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AlternateNu posted:

Three pages of poo poo chat, and no one has commented that they literally have a walker Spirit Bomb going on here?

Wouldn't be the first time they've done it.

E: how many / which pros do y'all think are goons?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 19, 2019

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neaden posted:

oh, are you not familiar with ~live services~? every company on the planet thinks they can get you to pay to play one or actually up to three of the games they make, forever. there's nothing involved in this beyond dollar signs.

odiv posted:

I'm imagining asking EFro or Owen to play a game for fun after an ID and I don't really see that happening for some reason.

this is my problem, all of my matches are only against serious pros and there's no "playing for fun"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

They would make SO MUCH money if they just made Shandalar with new cards. Don't even upgrade the graphics. Literally just add all the cards in the game. Keep ante, keep the ridiculous difficulty curve, keep the brokenness of building a deck with only Shivan Dragon and always starting with one in play against the castle bosses.

Ada posted:

Shandalar is dope, but I played it just last year and have to say that it's a bit dated. The core idea is excellent but the overworld stuff needs some iteration. You basically just walk from town to town looking for a quest, then the quest says travel to the next town and you'll get a gem. Then you just do that a bunch and occasionally explore a dungeon to get a power 9 card, and occasionally hit the random encounter that lets you buy whatever card you want, and occasionally hit the encounter that lets you get an additional copy of a card in your deck, and eventually you're finally strong enough to win the game. If they improved the stuff between owning NPCs with your channel mind twist or whatever fun poo poo you're running it would be perfect.

I'm currently playing the version of Shandalar with new cards that someone put together before getting chased off the internet by legal threats. It's really good and all I want is a modern game dev to get a chance to do something like that with the IP.

Last month I finished playing Yu-Gi-Oh World Championship 2007, which has a "limited duel" game mode which forced you to build certain kinds of decks. Yu-Gi-Oh sucks, and the cardbase was woefully inadequate for a lot of the challenges, but could you imagine a Shandalar with 10,000 MTG cards where you wander from town to town, doing quests and getting cards and getting challenges to win a fight with a certain kind of deck? How could you play anything else? Hell even an Arena single player mode with just Standard cards would be killer.

anyway capitalism is a plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

I've done this before, and while it was extremely low stakes I can see why even with higher stakes you could still just wanna play it out for the fun of it

Some of us care way more about having fun playing a game then money or whatever and that's not ya know, bad

rkajdi posted:

I get that, but if I'm going someplace to play a game, I'm going there to play the game. I'd always rather play a game than not, even if it's going to hurt my standings/EV on an average basis.

Pretty much. But I've never been good enough at a game to make winning any kind of real money even a minor concern. The $40ish in store credit I got last week is the most I think I've gotten from anything ever-- minis don't pay out much if anything usually.

You really need to adjust your mindset when it's a long, high stakes event. If it was a weekly four-round event or whatever then i won't bat an eye if someone wants to play it out for the last round, but when you're in the 10-4 bracket of a 2-day tournament, you already gotten to play the game. If you're the "play to win" type, cashing an event and ending with a 10-4-1 record is absolutely a win. those events are also loving exhausting

You're entirely within your rights to refuse a draw, but there's not a lot of logical reasons for doing it in the situation being discussed, and it's not at all comparable to playing out a game in the 3-0 bracket for a handful of lgs fun bux