Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MikeCrotch posted:

Yo, any Bristol (or otherwise) goons planning on heading down to Bristol Transformed? Looks interesting, my parents live down that way so i'm thinking about making the trip. A tenner and there is a live Trashfuture show on the Saturday;

http://bristoltransformed.org/

Huh, hadn't heard of that before. It does look pretty cool.

e: I'm not doing a number or paying a cat tax. It's time for a new ways of page sniping, you all need to stop being stuck in the old way of doing things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angepain posted:

how on earth are people going to view this whole period looking back. what the hell is going to be the historical consensus on what the gently caress was going on.

this is of course assuming there are still people to look back, because I'm a wild optimist like that

You know when you're young and you hear about the start of world war 1 and you think "why though that's loving stupid?"

That, only it doesn't go away the more you learn about it, it actually gets stronger.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Angepain posted:

how on earth are people going to view this whole period looking back. what the hell is going to be the historical consensus on what the gently caress was going on.

this is of course assuming there are still people to look back, because I'm a wild optimist like that

There has to be a radical change in the way politics is done imo. This is all happening because Cameron thought he could ape Blair's model of governing and pull ridiculous political stunts to give himself a legacy.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Angepain posted:

As the final, incoherent, and surreal death rattle of capitalism before the advent of our glorious cybercommunist future.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pochoclo posted:

Scientists completely baffled as Brexit demonstrates beyond a shadow of a doubt that superposition of quanta and decoherence can apply on macro scales - our current timeline is a superposition of No Deal, delaying Brexit for 2 years, Norway Deal, May's Deal, and Cancelling Brexit

Scientists admit being a bit nervous as we approach the 29th, since if the wave function doesn't collapse, the amount of overlapping realities will keep increasing to the point where a whole new kind of singularity might form

The fabled brexingularity: pure poop so dense, and so polished, that any turd that falls in takes on an otherworldly, unbelievable shine, like a colour that doesn't exist

As they say beautifully in Finnish: paska on todellisuuden tihentymä - I wish I knew how to translate that eloquently into English

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Angepain posted:

At Brexit, or at the wider world?

I think the period from 1990 to at least the present will be looked back on in twenty to thirty years time (or ten thousand years time by future historians after the apocalypse) as World War 3, to be honest.

OwlFancier posted:

You know when you're young and you hear about the start of world war 1 and you think "why though that's loving stupid?"

That, only it doesn't go away the more you learn about it, it actually gets stronger.

More to the point, you know when you think about the rise of Hitler and you wonder how people could have let it happen, then you look at the USA?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a shame that we invented nuclear weapons because I think capitalism is probably past the world war stage. Unfortunately nuclear weapons detach world destroying firepower from the organization of the capitalist mode of production towards warfare.

Though that said I suppose part of the reason we're past that is because nuclear weapons made conventional warfare between superpowers far more dangerous.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 18, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

madey posted:

Pretty sus having a tory av imo

I would like to personally reassure the right-honourable gentleman that my actions are fully supported by established precedent in the field of Conservative avatars. The most notable example being that which May colloquially be referred to as a 'mooning prime minister'.

11 days remain

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's a shame that we invented nuclear weapons because I think capitalism is probably past the world war stage. Unfortunately nuclear weapons detach world destroying firepower from the organization of the capitalist mode of production towards warfare.

Though that said I suppose part of the reason we're past that is because nuclear weapons made conventional warfare between superpowers far more dangerous.
I honestly think the development of the internet had more impact on changing how wars are fought, and we won't really be able to see the wood for the trees on that issue until afterwards.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I just got home from work and wanted to chime in that Bercow is the man.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe? I guess my take is that global capitalism has really done a lot of work to erode the power of the nation state, stripping and parasitizing even the war machine of the great national powers. Can you imagine any nation nowadays really committing itself, manpower and economically, to the scale of production and death required to truly fight another world war? To get there you'd need to turn back a huge amount of change which has converted defence industries from tools of war to fat contractors for defence ministers. Armies that are terrified of losing soldiers because it costs the politicians back home. The planning and experience required to fight global wars isn't there any more because it's never been used. The standing armies and equipment of most countries would be wiped out in the first week of fighting. And most of the equipment can't be produced on demand if at all. It's not designed to be, it's not designed to ever actually be lost in the first place. It's designed to be put out to tender for five years when the renewal contract rolls around and then they decide to stick some more poo poo on the old model and call it good enough.

Those things could come back but you'd be pushing against capitalism every step of the way to do it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 19, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Can you imagine any nation nowadays really committing itself, manpower and economically, to the scale of production and death required to truly fight another world war?

Like... the USA China and Russia already have done exactly this though, haven't they?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

the Catholics tried to be transphobic but made us sound incredibly metal instead

https://twitter.com/LunaLaviolette/status/1107759491372724226

gently caress YEAH AGE OF SIN TICKETS FOR MANCHESTER ARENA SOLD OUT

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Like... the USA China and Russia already have done exactly this though, haven't they?

The US sure as poo poo hasn't? Russia I dunno about but they are not, as far as I know, doing things greatly dissimlar to the US? China probably could actually but it's whether they want to given they're already the manufacturing base of the world?

The US absolutely spends a shitload of money on very expensive equipment but none of it is actually suitable for fighting like they fought in the second world war. They're using tanks that were build decades ago and just had ever more poo poo glued on them. And they don't have enough of them, all nations in WW2 used a sort of semi-command economy to direct their war production, they churned out insane numbers of vehicles and weapons. The US just doesn't have that manufacturing capacity any more. And they are terrified of losing soldiers. The entire concept of the MRAP was invented and abandoned with the occupation of iraq, because the US wasn't willing to commit the troops or resources to actually pacify the region, and when it sent soldiers on patrols they kept getting blown up. So they spent millions of dollars on ridiculous armoured vehicles to keep their death counts down. You can't do that in a proper war, real wars are about economy, if it costs less to replace a soldier than to keep them alive you accept they're going to die. You have to accept deaths and material losses to fight wars. The US can't do that at the moment. It can't replace its war materiel and it won't accept real war levels of casualties.

Russia does a similar thing with a lot of its military development, it maximises survivability and third world nation stomping capability, relies heavily on stuff it already has stockpiled, and can barely keep some of its old poo poo working. So while it might be more willing to fight wars I don't think it has anything like the production capacity needed to actually keep one up. It'd also run out of stuff really fast.

China is the only exception I can think of because it has a massive domestic manufacturing base and that's what wins you wars. Though even then it would still be hugely disruptive because china is a massive world economic power.

All of this could come back sure but it'd be a massive upheaval in the way the world works. Nukes are threatening because they don't really go off, so much? And there are more than enough stockpiled to wipe out all life on the planet many times over. And they can be used at any time. But global conventional warfare? You'd need some major rekerjiggering of the way the usual suspect countries work to actually be able to do that.

Like the tank example. The US started making the M1 tank in 1978, and have produced, over the years, according to wikipedia, about 10 thousand of them, how many of those were new and how many were rebuilds to newer standards, I dunno. But the US has been iterating on that design for decades and that's the sort of numbers you're looking at. To compare the US produced almost fifty thousand sherman tanks in three years, during the second world war.

Ten thousand tanks in forty years, vs fifty thousand in three years. That's the scale of production differential. And the scale of resource consumption a world war involved. And the modern US tanks cost millions apiece. They're the german wunderwaffe of the modern day. Expensive, ridiculously slow to produce, and there's every reason to believe that in an all out war they'd go much the same way. Overrun and wiped out by people not fighting on their terms. Which is exactly what happened to all the ones they gave to the Iraqi government when ISIS attacked them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 19, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MrFlibble posted:

They want a corbyn government as much as May does.

A corbyn deal, yes.

A corbyn government, no.

Is there any evidence the EU is hostile to a corbyn government provided it allows an orderly brexit?

tbh I think you could make a good play for "we're going to go full gay luxury islamic communism to produce a healthy market of buyers for those excellent german exports"

i guess britain is too small to do that though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ms Adequate posted:

the Catholics tried to be transphobic but made us sound incredibly metal instead

yeah if i saw that poster when i was 13 i'd have probably at least tried to be trans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Love that they're embracing Xenofeminism.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The S*n posted:

But the PM will also ask Brussels for an escape clause to the delay - expected to be between nine and 12 months.

If the Commons does pass her deal in the coming weeks then the UK can then leave swiftly afterwards and not see out the full Article 50 extension.

So May's big idea is to ask the EU for a long delay, with the proviso that if her deal ever passes we can leave immediately.

Then presumably just keep bringing back the deal again and again and again for the entire year, and if we somehow got to the end she'd probably ask for another extension.

Utterly insane.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Not really. The standing US military is huge but most of it would be wiped out in the initial battles of a new world war. This is ignoring nuclear weapons. No one really knows just how destructive a battle between peer nations would be.

But it'd be pretty bad. It's probably never been worse to be a bog standard infantry man. We've seen in Ukraine that artillery can just remove grid squares at will unless you can hold air superiority or have matching artillery +1. Just imagine the ammo logistics of a new world war.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Someone post the front pages, they're all glorious

E:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

https://twitter.com/DennyGreenbean/status/1107768425517060097

Kinda want it as a shirt tbh.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1107747463631388673

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good news.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ms Adequate posted:

EVERYONE HOLD STILL WHILE I DISFIGURE YOUR FACES

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rarity posted:

EVERYONE HOLD STILL WHILE I DISFIGURE YOUR FACES

i mean we're all something awful goons, anything you can do to our faces will likely be an improvement

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
BERCOW THE DESTROYER

REVEL IN THE ANNIHILATION OF MAN AS THE IMAGE OF GOD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pochoclo posted:

BERCOW THE DESTROYER

dear god... it's beautiful

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

BERCOW THE DESTROYER

Not sure if I like bercow as an ophanim or as some kind of goetian hell lord whose domans are brexit and sick burns.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Someone post the front pages, they're all glorious

E:

[e]:

Pochoclo posted:

BERCOW THE DESTROYER

I just want this with a sick loving death scream and shredding guitars.
Alternatively, ONE MORE GOD REJECTED.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I checked her Wikipedia page and... she's about what I'd expect from a current-day Israeli Minister of Justice.
Short of actually being Jewish, that is.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

So May's big idea is to ask the EU for a long delay, with the proviso that if her deal ever passes we can leave immediately.

Then presumably just keep bringing back the deal again and again and again for the entire year, and if we somehow got to the end she'd probably ask for another extension.

Utterly insane.

Only bercow has today proven that he won't allow this. If she comes back with the same deal it won't be put to a vote, A50 extension or no. I would assume the vote to accept an EU extension offer would pass, but it would be entirely separate to the exit negotiation, which has to be changed.

Also, as the EU have pretty much said they're not up for any more negotiations without a GE, I don't see what possible reason they would have to be charitable here. I can absolutely see them just stonewalling her. We've had years to work this out and it's not their fault the government left it till weeks before the exit date before scribbling a half arsed plan no one liked on the back of a fag packet. Zero doubt there are lots of euro politicians who just want us to get it over with and stop hassling them.

Could they allow an extension that's conditional on a GE (in the hope it would break the deadlock)? It's honestly looking like the only way to avoid crashing out, and I don't think even most Tories actually want no deal chaos. Christ, even if May loses it would allow her to resign with the shred of dignity she has left.

On an unrelated note, given that parliament has very few actual set in stone rules and it's all precedent and etiquette, how far could the executive just force things through if they ignored all decorum etc. Could May just tell Bercow to gently caress off any hold a vote on her deal without his say so? I guess the answer to all questions like that is 'if she has the capital-P power to do so', which lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kingturnip posted:

I checked her Wikipedia page and... she's about what I'd expect from a current-day Israeli Minister of Justice.
Short of actually being Jewish, that is.

She's vile. This from 2014.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israeli-lawmakers-call-genocide-palestinians-gets-thousands-facebook-likes

quote:

They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

:jerkbag:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Does anyone know how the transaction limits work on paypal? My kid got their student loan finally (they started their course in loving october) and tried to send me 900 quid over paypal towards rent/food/etc for the year and it triggered some kind of transaction limit "mandated by EU law" on both our accounts. :v:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

What is wrong with this one?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

George Orwell: hey look at the silly examples I made up for this deconstruction of totalitarianism

Reality: hold my beer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

What is wrong with this one?

The emote just matches what Bercow is doing in that pic.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oh, she's that lady

that's nice, and definitely not horrific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Only bercow has today proven that he won't allow this. If she comes back with the same deal it won't be put to a vote, A50 extension or no. I would assume the vote to accept an EU extension offer would pass, but it would be entirely separate to the exit negotiation, which has to be changed.

Also, as the EU have pretty much said they're not up for any more negotiations without a GE, I don't see what possible reason they would have to be charitable here. I can absolutely see them just stonewalling her. We've had years to work this out and it's not their fault the government left it till weeks before the exit date before scribbling a half arsed plan no one liked on the back of a fag packet. Zero doubt there are lots of euro politicians who just want us to get it over with and stop hassling them.

Could they allow an extension that's conditional on a GE (in the hope it would break the deadlock)? It's honestly looking like the only way to avoid crashing out, and I don't think even most Tories actually want no deal chaos. Christ, even if May loses it would allow her to resign with the shred of dignity she has left.

On an unrelated note, given that parliament has very few actual set in stone rules and it's all precedent and etiquette, how far could the executive just force things through if they ignored all decorum etc. Could May just tell Bercow to gently caress off any hold a vote on her deal without his say so? I guess the answer to all questions like that is 'if she has the capital-P power to do so', which lol

Yeah it's incredibly unclear what's going to happen now. Although it's becoming more and more obvious that even if we get an extension she will just keep coming back with her deal and no other options.

I strongly doubt the EU would ever openly try to force a GE, that would be viewed as totally unacceptable meddling with our democracy. They could definitely try and bring down her government more subtly though.

And no May can't force a vote without Bercow's OK. If a government minister tried to move a business motion containing another vote he'd simply rule it out of order and that would be the end of it.

https://twitter.com/seanwhelanRTE/status/1107680537215418369

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 19, 2019