Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RossMan4Life posted:

Theatrical, first viewing/only version I had handy

Do yourself a favor and watch the Assembly Cut, it adds like 40 minutes back into the movie, resolves a couple plot holes, and generally improves the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Thanks, I will at some point. I recall some discussion here that piqued my interest. I'm curious to find more about the dog/ox/cattle/whatever differences.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hrm I don't know if I've ever watched the Assembly Cut, and I own the Quadrillogy boxed set. I shall have to remedy this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dev286 posted:

Whoa that was Biehn??

Copper Vein posted:

He literally just looked like Hicks with a mustache.

Get this, he's Johnny Ringo in Tombstone.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Young Freud posted:

Get this, he's Johnny Ringo in Tombstone.

Yeah, but he looks like Hicks with a cowboy hat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

Yeah, but he looks like Hicks with a cowboy hat.

You mean Hicks with a Van Dyke and a cowboy hat.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Without looking anything up, I know that Michael Biehn has played a Navy Seal in The Abyss, Navy Seals, and The Rock. There's probably more.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh gently caress, it's a thread about one of my favourites.

Aliens is a fantastic film. I still prefer the original Alien for the overall approach and atmosphere but Aliens itself is still one of those rare cases where a sequel was made because people wanted to make a drat good movie, instead of just banging out a sorry cash-in on an established name (oh hello AvP, gently caress you twice over). I'm with OP on it also being a perfect piece of background noise too. The cast is (to nobody's shock) solid as a rock with Bill Paxton being a show-stealer as Hudson; his sudden decline from cocky "ultimate badass" to terrified "game over man!" going right back up to a screaming "gently caress you! You want some too!" is a highlight. When I'm stuck with a boring keyboard-mashing task I'll throw it on as something to listen to, flicking back every so often when I recognise a certain scene/line coming up. Assholes and elbows!

Also, despite popular hearsay, it's not a big action movie full of mindless shooty-bang-bang setpieces with a bunch of tonked-up mega spacemen. Sure the action scenes are in there compared to the first, and they undoubtedly leave one hell of an impact (hence why everyone "remembers" it as an action flick), but this is a film with nearly 2h30m of runtime. That's close to 210 minutes, with (at a rough guess after some 50 viewings) somewhere between 20 - 25 of those minutes devoted to all-out guns blazing action. That's about gently caress-all in the scheme of things. The rest of it is surprisingly tense with the sort of character development that made us love Hudson and hate Burke.

Unfortunately however, it (indirectly) gave us this piece of rip-off poo poo. In addition to being an obvious attempt at cashing-in on both Aliens & The Terminator by having mashed both into one by the end, it's loaded with shamelessly lifted scenes and lines from the former. Tried getting through it in a group viewing and even with all of us drunk enough to 'appreciate' a lovely movie, this one just fell flat over and over again. We all realised we'd much rather being watching Aliens, or at least a lovely movie with a wholly original script.

quote:

Ripley: I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6/12/79

I wonder if the "79" in the date is a shout to Alien and its 1979 release. Probably not, but it does seem a bit too coincidental -- I can't find anything referencing dates in the original film. Well played, Cameron :golfclap:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Randarkman posted:

Why is it a human alien again in Resurrection? Specifically why is it different from all the ones we've seen before who really have all been "human aliens" (except the one in Alien 3). I think there was a reason for it in the movie, I just don't remember much about the movie because it was kind of a piece of crap, though I actually kind of enjoyed it for what it was.

It’s because it was born from the alien queen that they removed from Ripley before they started making Ripley clones, but there was genetic cross-contamination (and this is set up with Ripley clone having alien superpowers) and the queen has a human uterus, so gives birth to the human alien. It doesn’t really make much sense to me since the other (normal looking) aliens in the movie must have also been derived from the same DNA, but that’s the reasoning given.

There are definitely some enjoyable bits in Resurrection. It’s a piece of poo poo overall and the more so because of the series it’s in, but some definite talent went into it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skasion posted:

It’s because it was born from the alien queen that they removed from Ripley before they started making Ripley clones, but there was genetic cross-contamination (and this is set up with Ripley clone having alien superpowers) and the queen has a human uterus, so gives birth to the human alien. It doesn’t really make much sense to me since the other (normal looking) aliens in the movie must have also been derived from the same DNA, but that’s the reasoning given.

There are definitely some enjoyable bits in Resurrection. It’s a piece of poo poo overall and the more so because of the series it’s in, but some definite talent went into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEyQfz47Tc8

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Unfortunately however, it (indirectly) gave us this piece of rip-off poo poo. In addition to being an obvious attempt at cashing-in on both Aliens & The Terminator by having mashed both into one by the end, it's loaded with shamelessly lifted scenes and lines from the former. Tried getting through it in a group viewing and even with all of us drunk enough to 'appreciate' a lovely movie, this one just fell flat over and over again. We all realised we'd much rather being watching Aliens, or at least a lovely movie with a wholly original script.

I love me some Italian ripoffs because often times they do a new spin on a popular and familiar piece of film canon. I love Castellari's Bronx series for it's mash-up of The Warriors and Escape From New York and Sergio Martino's 2019 After The Fall Of New York is a particular favorite of mine, but his film Hands Of Steel is like some awesomeness with a mix between Over The Top and The Terminator (with a bit of Blade Runner, with a fight I describe as the Terminator fights Pris).

But, Bruno Mattei is unfortunately not a good remixer, with his films being very obvious ripoffs. In addition to Shocking Dark/Terminator 2, his Reb Brown actioner, Robowar, is basically Predator with a robot instead of an alien and adds nothing new.
Which is a shame, because he made a movie called Rats, which is about a post-apocalypse biker gang fighting superintelligent rat swarms, which I hear is pretty decent.

I wonder if the "79" in the date is a shout to Alien and its 1979 release. Probably not, but it does seem a bit too coincidental -- I can't find anything referencing dates in the original film. Well played, Cameron :golfclap:

The Wikipedia article for the film says May 25th, 1979 for U.S. and September 6th for the United Kingdom.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 19, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

skasion posted:

Resurrection is total poo poo but Weaver sells it anyway, knowing that's its a heap of horrible loving garbage. It has one, ONE redeeming quality, and that's the clone room. Her reaction to seeing all that awful poo poo, that's where we see the Ripley we're all familiar with.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Young Freud posted:

The Wikipedia article for the film says May 25th, 1979 for U.S. and September 6th for the United Kingdom.
I meant in-universe, specifically the year section of the "6/12/79" date Ripley is referring to while chewing out Burke on his space-yuppie bullshit. Having a full 25/5/79 (or indeed 5/25/79 -- we'll never know what format took over IN SPAAAACE), while more accurate, would probably be a little too on the nose for someone like Cameron so he just fudged the numbers while leaving one detail intact. Again, I may be wrong here but it works as a small "thank you" to Ridley Scott's foundation for Aliens even being possible.

Young Freud posted:

I love me some Italian ripoffs because often times they do a new spin on a popular and familiar piece of film canon. I love Castellari's Bronx series for it's mash-up of The Warriors and Escape From New York and Sergio Martino's 2019 After The Fall Of New York is a particular favorite of mine, but his film Hands Of Steel is like some awesomeness with a mix between Over The Top and The Terminator (with a bit of Blade Runner, with a fight I describe as the Terminator fights Pris).

But, Bruno Mattei is unfortunately not a good remixer, with his films being very obvious ripoffs. In addition to Shocking Dark/Terminator 2, his Reb Brown actioner, Robowar, is basically Predator with a robot instead of an alien and adds nothing new.
Which is a shame, because he made a movie called Rats, which is about a post-apocalypse biker gang fighting superintelligent rat swarms, which I hear is pretty decent.
Sometimes the Italian rip-offs/cash-ins get it "right" for better or worse, such as Lucio Fulci's laughably incomparable attempt at continuing on from George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Sure they're godawful but gave us some memorable scenes, even if for all the wrong reasons. A zombie fighting a shark? It's pure poo poo but so loving goofy you can't help but love it when the zombie adopts some sort of 'ready' pose like he's trained for sub-aquatic combat against a giant killer fish.

Edit:
Bollocks that wasn't the Edit button!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I like Alien for what it is, I like Aliens for what it is. 3 has some actual good parts in it but is a mess due to everything it went through, Resurrection uses the word Resurrection in it's title therefore dooming it to be poo poo.

One of the things I like about the aliens but is seldom touched on is that the host they are born from may actually influence the alien. Kane liked Lambert in the original (according to various tidbits that later came out above the movie), now when the creature finds Lambert later in a deleted scene it does this bizarre walk towards her on all fours while it's tail is pointed upward, it was ditched for looking goofy but it's one more sexual reference that can be taken from Alien. It supposedly acted that way because of Kanes sexual attraction towards Lambert being imprinted onto the alien itself. In Aliens we get another moment of how you can see a host might have influenced a creature by them cutting the power, how would it know to cut the power or what power even is exactly. From the host is the answer. Perhaps not the exact technical know how, but the idea or skewed perception of severing some wires might make things darker and causing problems for the humans. Might be the host helps influence an aliens intelligence.

Always loved the alien nest in the original movie, the idea that an Alien could produce an egg from a person, it adds to the overall "alien" nature with it being something different to what we know and understand. A Queen, a nest, warriors etc always made it felt like the Aliens got shoe horned into an ant comparison and took away some of that unknown of what they could do or be capable of. The body horror of being dissolved and reshaped into this thing that would try and give birth to another that would face hug someone, that's pretty nightmareish. It fits perfectly.

Ripley being able to make it right into the nest and face the Queen herself is a pretty good indication by that point most of the aliens were dead, be it due to colonist fighting back or the marines inflicting enough damage overall. Saw a youtube vid not that long ago touched on this and the colonist numbers that explained it pretty good. If I remembered what one I'd link it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s also worth remembering that Ripley flies from the colony to the atmosphere processor via the dropship, whereas any Aliens still at the colony following the Ops siege would have had to hoof it back to the Queen on foot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Having watched Love Death & Robots and remembering Katsuhiro Otomo's Magnetic Rose and some Space Hulk, I'd love to see xenomorphs as sort of pirates in Sargasso Sea in space. Like there was a colony ship that had a xenomorph outbreak that killed everyone, but the engines failed at some point, so it's just stuck, floating around like a Flying Dutchman. After the brief population explosion, the hive has also collapsed and its population cannibalized, so there's just a queen, a bunch of eggs, a few drones, and a lot of dead xenos that have been used to build the hive (like ants' husks to build the foundations of their anthills). But the distress signal is still active, so it invites salvage teams and rescue attempts, which get caught by the xenos and fed on and impregnated as hosts.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
drat, was 95 posts behind and there's a lot I wanted to respond to but :effort:

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Good posts about Burke, but my bad vibes from him started when he called Ripley "Kiddo" when he was first trying to convince her to go help the marines.

Every time I watch the movie I'm like, "Kiddo? Shes technically 95 years old or something...respect your elders!"

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

The deleted Hadley's Hope scene has the boss guy mention a two week delay for deep-space comms to Earth. May 25 1979 was the release day in the US, and June 12 2179 was the day one Burke, Carter J. signed the order to investigate. In real time from the beginning of the movie (but 200 years in the future) it took two weeks transit for the message plus four days to set up logistics and sign off on an exploratory endeavor. Neat!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is "in the pipe, five by five" some kind of actual pilot jargon, or is it just techno-gibberish?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the most low-key sinister early Burke lines is when he immediately and nonchalantly drops that he reads Ripley's psych evals. No HIPAA in space I guess.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Have no idea how I never noticed that all the ships in Alien, and Aliens were named after references to Joseph Conrad books.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Have no idea how I never noticed that all the ships in Alien, and Aliens were named after references to Joseph Conrad books.

And Alien3, if you dig into ancillary materials (the rescue ship is the Patna).

The expanded universe stuff steals some more Conrad references from time to time, as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Resurrection is worth watching because Sigourney is such a fantastic actress she completely sells this new not-quite-Ripley character she's been given. Like it's so impressive that she's almost Ripley but definitely not, and with a lesser actress it'd probably be as cheesy and obvious as the rest of the movie.
Could have so easily been 'oh no beloved character is evil now' but she makes it so complex and it really feels like a different character entirely.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I would actually kind of dig an effortpost analysis of what the marines should have done, tactically speaking, if anyone is up for it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Resurrection is worth watching because Sigourney is such a fantastic actress she completely sells this new not-quite-Ripley character she's been given. Like it's so impressive that she's almost Ripley but definitely not, and with a lesser actress it'd probably be as cheesy and obvious as the rest of the movie.
Could have so easily been 'oh no beloved character is evil now' but she makes it so complex and it really feels like a different character entirely.
Weaver and her performance is the only element of that movie which doesn't completely fall victim to some level of poo poo-tier "SyFy" character writing, because Ripley's character was already established over three prior movies and Sigourney was most likely taking no poo poo from Joss Whedon or his Saturday Morning Cartoon of a script. I mean Ripley #8 is still a little "off" compared to the original Ripley but is still a decent enough continuation. The rest of the main cast however all look & behave like arcade videogame characters. We've got BIG STRONG MAN, and HOTSHOT RICOCHET GUY, there's COOL CAPTAIN, etc. What the gently caress is this?! This isn't Alien! This is horseshit!

Just loving thinking about Resurrection is an infuriating activity. I hate it. I hate it.

Edit:

sebmojo posted:

I would actually kind of dig an effortpost analysis of what the marines should have done, tactically speaking, if anyone is up for it.
They shouldn't have had an incapable clown like Gorman, who was in way over his head (and we as the audience figure as much out when he admits the vast majority of his combat drops were simulations), calling the shots while the marines were searching the base. That would have been a good start.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 19, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Is "in the pipe, five by five" some kind of actual pilot jargon, or is it just techno-gibberish?

I know "five by five" is classic technical term used for signal strength. It's still used in some capacity, but I think most people nowadays use some take on bars, since a lot of strength monitors use a vertical bar format, like cellphones.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

sebmojo posted:

The point when you get the order 'put all your ammunition into this bag' is the point where you say 'we're leaving now, see you on the chopper'

Followed by 'how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?'

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hmm... the one thing I can think of without using audience omnescience, and assuming "we can'tuse pulseguns" and "we must fully investigate the fate of the colonists" are both true: the moment they belatedly realized 90% of their weapons were unusable, fall back to the dropship and reequip the squad so everyone has whatever low-velocity slugthrowers and flame units they can muster, then go back in.

The colonists waited days or weeks for the marines, another hour or two to help ensure the rescue team wasn't completely helpless in the atmosphere processor wouldn't be make or break.

Also posting a sentry or two at the dropship seems prudent even if the threat is unkown.

And at a more strategic/logistical level sending a quarter of a platoon to the moon in the first place seems like a really parsimonious allocation of forces. But that and Gorman's inexperience I think are explained in supplemental material as WY pulling strings to get their bioweapon.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 19, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"You're in a giant bomb, if you shoot the walls and hit coolant pipes you'll blow us all to hell. Keep this information in mind during the engagement."

Vs

"Disarm yourselves for reasons GOOD BYE GOD BLESS"

He didn't trust his squad's judgement so he treated them like children instead of trained soldiers.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

They shouldn't have had an incapable clown like Gorman, who was in way over his head (and we as the audience figure as much out when he admits the vast majority of his combat drops were simulations), calling the shots while the marines were searching the base. That would have been a good start.
What if Weyland Yutani planted Gorman knowing that he was incompetent and would likely lead to a collapse of order and lots of specimens to bring home?

e;f;b

Durzel fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 19, 2019

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Are you talking in "this would've optimal but would've made for a poo poo movie" terms?

Not in any way militarily experienced but as was previously said they could've just thrown a drone down there as soon as they realised where the colonists were and that they wouldn't be able to use weapons there. I mean poo poo look at the future spatial mapping drones Weyland Yutani had in Prometheus, long before Aliens timeline.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

The point when you get the order 'put all your ammunition into this bag' is the point where you say 'we're leaving now, see you on the chopper'

Followed by 'how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?'

Now that I think about it, what ultimately causes the terraformer to meltdown isn't the firefight under the cooling system (complete with an explosion from the ammo cookoff) but a fully-loaded armed dropship slamming into it at top speed. I think the reactor would be robust enough to not be an immediate danger if struck by errant small arms, no matter how explosive-tipped. It would probably be the same timeframe or longer than what actually happened, but it would also mean really expensive repairs that Weyland-Yutani would be billing the USCMC.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Durzel posted:

they could've just thrown a drone down there as soon as they realised where the colonists were and that they wouldn't be able to use weapons there.

Almost certainly the drones would not have helped them see the aliens at all. The marines couldn't see the xenos that were right in front of their faces, even with their infrared monocles. They ain't gonna see poo poo on the low-res CRT screens that they use for everything.

The xenos specifically want dumb assholes wondering around their nest; they ain't gonna be caught out by this chickenshit drone business.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Tree Bucket posted:

I read somewhere that "the pipe" is the acceptable trajectory into atmosphere and 5 by 5 is communication signal strength.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

sebmojo posted:

I can get into the specifics a little more later when I'm home and have the manual to dig through, but Colonial Marine units are focused and specialized on small scale, mobile combat. Aside from the obvious - He should have told them why they could only use flamers, etc - Gorman does a lot of stuff that really shows he's treating this like a training exercise. Given that there was evidence of some kind of fight, he should have set up some kind of strongpoint some shore distance from the investigation site - ideally near an APC accessible entrance to the facility - using the sentry guns to help secure it. From there, buddy teams - or Bishop, more probably, since synthetics are often used to scout areas with potential nuclear/biological/chemical threats - should have been sent to probe the area before the whole force was committed. Even though this probably wouldn't prevent an ambush from happening, it would minimize casualties and provide an easy rally point for survivors, allowing for casualty evacuation via APC and dropship. And really, they found colonists pretty immediately once they entered the hive proper, which would have been a sign to bail out and request backup and/or abandon the station. He also left his only aerospace asset unguarded and on the ground, when it should have been either orbiting the facility or literally dropped as close as possible to the evacuation point and guarded by the remaining rifle team. Gorman knew that this was a combat operation the second they found the barricades and bullet holes in the colony complex, and he still sent his team deep into a potential ambush site without any real support chain of any kind, like this is just something he has to get done so he can go have dinner at applebees and stow his gear until next year.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
She says “in the pipe” because the target selector thing (reticule? crosshair? Idk what you’d call it) is on target, Spunkmeyer just confirmed their trajectory and now they’re headed on the right path. I don’t think that it is actual jargon unlike “five by five”.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Young Freud posted:

I know "five by five" is classic technical term used for signal strength. It's still used in some capacity, but I think most people nowadays use some take on bars, since a lot of strength monitors use a vertical bar format, like cellphones.

I just dropped by this wiki page as my dad's roping me into HAM radio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_strength_and_readability_report

I've always taken in the pipe to mean on course in their projected flight plan what with the Superman 64 ring game.

Quick googling suggests that it was used when pilots were on course for a target and/or in an area or path clear of anti air fire.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Basically, Gorman isn’t necessarily incompetent in terms of Colonial Marine battle doctrine so much as he’s just kind of half-assing it like someone who is more used to boring field training exercises than actual combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

Basically, Gorman isn’t necessarily incompetent in terms of Colonial Marine battle doctrine so much as he’s just kind of half-assing it like someone who is more used to boring field training exercises than actual combat.

Eh, I'd say he's incompetent. He said he wants the drop to go by the numbers, probably because that's all he can handle. When the situation changes rapidly he just completely freezes and breaks down instead of adapting and moving on. Ripley has to take over for him and Burke basically tells him he's done. "You've had your chance Gorman."