Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gay Horney posted:

drat what game is this.

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turok on Switch is so fun. That's all

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can’t wait to play it. There’s something about the level design of early 3D FPS games that I love. I remember a lot of satisfying weapons too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Heath posted:

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together please

This but with built in hacks because the remake adds a billion things that are dozens of hours of padding for no good reason.

Give us the SFC/PSX version with the WORLD system (maybe a better crafting system) and call it a day.

Barudak posted:

Love it, great plan, lets make them all turn based battle royale survival games though

You joke but if someone made a strategy game of 100 units on a board that shrinks over time I'd probably give it a try.

e: Let's be honest, if a few months ago someone posted in here about wanting a Tetris BR game they'd probably have been made fun of for it.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 18, 2019

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1107740961000620034?s=09

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

joke's on you old man nook, nobody's getting refunds this year

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yoshi lost $900 in returns one year thanks to Nook and now he's hiding out from the IRS in Monaco.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The music owns so loving hard

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wario has so many tax breaks the government pays him

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Started Wind Waker HD and had a weird "lost in time" feeling as I realized this remake is older than Wind Waker GCN was the last time I replayed that.

It's so charming and pleasant and FAST PACED, considering I just came off of Twilight Princess. In like half an hour I'm at the Forsaken Fortress.

Also the graphical style is nearly timeless but they made such a bad decision going with the garish bloom lighting and shaders instead of just keeping it purely cel-shaded. The areas with few light sources really highlight this, it's a gorgeous cartoon, and then when you go in the sun or near a lantern it all feels less polished.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tender Bender posted:

Started Wind Waker HD and had a weird "lost in time" feeling as I realized this remake is older than Wind Waker GCN was the last time I replayed that.

It's so charming and pleasant and FAST PACED, considering I just came off of Twilight Princess. In like half an hour I'm at the Forsaken Fortress.

Also the graphical style is nearly timeless but they made such a bad decision going with the garish bloom lighting and shaders instead of just keeping it purely cel-shaded. The areas with few light sources really highlight this, it's a gorgeous cartoon, and then when you go in the sun or near a lantern it all feels less polished.

If I remember correctly wind waker was one of the first cell shaded games and most people thought it looked childish and dumb.

I know I completely wrote it off based on the graphics as a kid and the Nintendo Power articles were mostly defending the art over the realistic graphics they had teased a few years earlier.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

pixaal posted:

If I remember correctly wind waker was one of the first cell shaded games and most people thought it looked childish and dumb.

I know I completely wrote it off based on the graphics as a kid and the Nintendo Power articles were mostly defending the art over the realistic graphics they had teased a few years earlier.

celda haters are fools

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked how Wind Waker looked from the very beginning.:smug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Looper posted:

celda haters are fools

Cellshaded graphics are awesome, realistic graphics were everything for a time. Turns out its like CGI it doesn't age well. Cell shading has style and works forever. We were all young and dumb once.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

bushisms.txt posted:

This isn't true at all. The gamepad map was the game and every mechanic was based on its balance. The static live map also let every one know what was going on with just a head tilt. Now you have to read a moving star chart while sitting in a corner to kind of figure out what's going on. Having a skill gap to read the most important thing about the game changes the game. People now just rush what's in their fov instead of moving to where they should on the map, which forces using mics, which weren't needed in the og. The gun rollout in OG, was more about balance between short and long range, with 2 all about upclose rushing until level 30 or so.

Um, I guess that can be one way to view what happened, but the game pace just changed due to changes in mechanics. It wasn't just the map changes that did that. Also a bunch of specials and weapons straight up sucked at launch, which skewed what weapon types and playstyles were seen.

bushisms.txt posted:

Especially with the addons being able to be stacked so easily you can run faster than swimming, where in the OG, you had to almost cheat to get that, meaning it was much more rare and didn't affect everyone.

This was only true in 1 under very specific circumstances, so it wouldn't have been seen all that often even if they let you get the gear you wanted. And even then, it goes out the window once you start shooting anyways, since shooting slows you down. It's straight up not true in 2 at all.

American McGay posted:

Lol at not liking Splatoon 2 but lmao at preferring Splatoon 1.

LethalGeek posted:

People wanting to stick with Splat1's bad specials are just as bad/silly as people who can't get on from Melee.

They just find Splatoon 1 and/or its specials more fun. Nothing wrong with that. 2 isn't a straight upgrade, and a sequel existing doesn't invalidate a previous game existing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pixaal posted:

The dreamcast had lots of cellshaded or psuedo cell-shaded games. Wind Waker was just Nintendos first foray into it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I was mad at the announcement because I wanted my COOL BADASS REALISTIC GANON FIGHTING REALISTIC LINK game. By the time it came out I had mostly gotten over it but still wasn't happy with the art. Now I love it and just wish they hadn't added this shading bullshit to the remake. The original upscaled to 1080p looks so much better!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fawf posted:

joke's on you old man nook, nobody's getting refunds this year

My coworker was crying today cause she owed 8 grand to the irs and had to go to payroll and have them remove her withholdings for her disabled son because she cant afford any more surprise bills and would rather just have less coming in every month

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Why doesn't Nintendo ever show off levels that look like this in promotional materials?

That level is so awesome and also why isn't the whole game creative like that.

The level design is great though. If the art design was more interesting it'd be very well regarded imo. I actually think the music is quote good if you can tune out the "wah wah" 's

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

American McGay posted:

Lol at not liking Splatoon 2 but lmao at preferring Splatoon 1.

:woomy:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think NSMB U is great except it carries on two series traditions I don't like:

1. I think the fortress levels are generally not enjoyable.

2. Hiding star coins in such a way that you're kinda gonna find some of them only after randomly jumping against every wall. Walls that have some kind of visual tell are fine but the ones that don't just feel like walkthrough bait to me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Barudak posted:

The dreamcast had lots of cellshaded or psuedo cell-shaded games. Wind Waker was just Nintendos first foray into it.

Jet Set Radio was the first cel shaded game but Wind Waker was only 2 years later and was significantly more popular. I think it was still early enough for "one of the first" to be accurate.

Dr. Fetus posted:

2 isn't a straight upgrade, and a sequel existing doesn't invalidate a previous game existing.

It is and it does

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
2D level design peaked with Mario 3 + World

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the fortress levels are good but the ghost houses all seem like big old gently caress yous. You reached a ghost house, congrats here's some tedious boring bullshit. Look how funny it is you aren't platforming

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I think the love for Wind Waker nowadays is hilarious. It’s a great, beautiful game, but when it came out the hate and vitriol toward it on these very dead gay forums was intense.

I didn’t get the hate for it at all at the time. I always thought it was gorgeous and I’m happy to see that time has been good to it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone play Aaero? Rhythm game/twin stick shooter, apparently came out Christmas Eve which probably explains why I never heard anything about it.

And apparently everyone got Baba, but anyone play Golf Peaks?

Tender Bender posted:

I was mad at the announcement because I wanted my COOL BADASS REALISTIC GANON FIGHTING REALISTIC LINK game. By the time it came out I had mostly gotten over it but still wasn't happy with the art. Now I love it and just wish they hadn't added this shading bullshit to the remake. The original upscaled to 1080p looks so much better!
The angry people were all pissy it didn’t look like the tech demo reel. Couldn’t remember how much of it was the style as much as was cause it was kid Link and not “mature” (...teenager) Link.

https://youtu.be/RIa79bTDuV4

Which reminded me, totally forgot about the Wii U Zelda tech demo forever ago before BotW:

https://youtu.be/fxvM1A_uHuI

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 19, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Regarding Zelda art styles being polarizing, this timestamped moment is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEFyWkcDr-k&t=15s

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

man nurse posted:

Regarding Zelda art styles being polarizing, this timestamped moment is :discourse:

Oh that’s glorious. I was thinking the same thing during the reveal :laugh:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

2D level design peaked with Mario 3 + World

This is true but NSMBU is still quite good

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

man nurse posted:

I don’t know who that guy is but I like the cut of his jib.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1107814610831208448

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is true but NSMBU is still quite good

I need to get back to it. I bought it day of, but only beat the first 1.5 worlds.
Just feels so meh compared to Mario 3.

Played some Odyssey last night, and Toadette handed me like, 25 stars for achievements.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think the fortress levels are good but the ghost houses all seem like big old gently caress yous. You reached a ghost house, congrats here's some tedious boring bullshit. Look how funny it is you aren't platforming

Same

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So, I'm a new Switch owner, and its definitely one of the greatest splurge purchases I've made this decade. Let's say I want to stroll into gamestop's or Walmart or whatever and get a MicroSD card for my Switch just so I can have more games I bought from the eshop installed at once. Assuming I know nothing about these cards at all, what should I get? What should I look out for?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cartoon Violence posted:

Assuming I know nothing about these cards at all, what should I get? What should I look out for?
👌

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

And if you are buying any card off Amazon, only buy if you see "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". As soon as Amazon's stock is out and it moves on to third party sellers, you are almost certainly getting a fake card.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol the day after I bought my card. Figures

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Anyone gonna grab the new labo?

NSFW

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I bought three of the latter card at 128gb. No complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hard agree there I just really don't like the fortress levels for some reason, but do agree the ghost houses are usually worse due to all the guesswork.