Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The key to the snake armor is to choose a design to evoke your favorite snake.
Kingsnake
Rattlesnake
Boa Constrictor
Black Mamba
Garter/Garden Snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
...is there a Randy Orton armour?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

tarbrush posted:

You'll see guys, you'll see.

This. If only they could have seen my face during the whole discussion.

"Cause he's Shanty goddamn Pete and he does not care about your silly little Muton" oh god the thread was waiting for this for ages and it was even better than we were expecting.

Why in the world did you aid protocol Selena instead of Pete when he was flanked and standing next to an enemy.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Natural 20 posted:

Putting a request out there, if anyone knows of a mod to make the alien ruler armour look cooler, I would be grateful.

One of the things keeping me from buying this DLC is that the armour looks goofy as hell.

However, I did read a suggestion online that you can just go to the customize options to remove the viper armour's helmet and recolour it to make it look a lot less stupid. So perhaps try that?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Or just go full blown anime snakeman! (Do the other thing it actually does look better)

Also that was a gently caress you ambush but you’re acquiring so many new ways to gently caress with enemies that those are very survivable nowadays!

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I was so excited to see you rush that muton! Usually that happens earlier and someone gets swatted. Also, you need to embrace the goofy ruler armor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Just a heads up from about 3 min in:
You can reorder stuff in the proving ground. When you hovered over the experimental grenade project there was a little down arrow the game never tells you about. It's the same as swapping research projects in that no progress is lost and lets you queue up stuff like the serpent suit immediately even if you currently have a project going.

e: Woo! Shanty Pete survived the muton!

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 19, 2019

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Not going to lie, I am a little nervous about the mission called "operation hell tomb"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Remember when a single cascade was a horrific disaster? And now it can happen back and forth a few times, but so far, you're handling it!

FoolyCharged posted:

the game never tells you about
I am thinking that with the combination of the blind format and the desire to present the game in a decent and timely manner, it might help to take some time aside without advancing the game or anything and just... absorb everything that's going on in the strategic layer UI. Because the game itself isn't helping anymore at this point, and this LP is halfway towards being a usability test anyways.

Doobie Keebler posted:

Also, you need to embrace the goofy ruler armor.
Think of it this way: You were already all-in on goofiness when you took goon character submissions.

Natural 20 posted:

I want to be teleporting about and having witch time
YISUN ATRU VYAM. Forgive me for this violence which I am about to inflict: You fellas ever seen Warframe?

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Putting a request out there, if anyone knows of a mod to make the alien ruler armour look cooler, I would be grateful.

Just remove the ugly hood and it looks better. Still horrible, but less so.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You can play with the colors, the game auto changed Pete's color scheme to the Viper King default, but you can change them back or to whatever you like. I find all black looks pretty decent. :shrug:

Also I can't believe they've dodged Chryssalids for so long! I was sure they'd have been death bugged by now!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The pack activated at the end cause they were wondering and got close enough.

Also just so you understand. The grapple abilities Pete got are free actions.

Also you can change the Viper King suit's colors no mods needed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If you aren't wearing the skull of your defeated enemy as trophy what's the point.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Pete has transcended into an anime form, and I think we all should just accept it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

StoryTime posted:

Pete has transcended into an anime form, and I think we all should just accept it.

Nah. True to his roots, he just rolled a Natural 20
:downsrim:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Natural 20 posted:

...is there a Randy Orton armour?

Research was ultimately discontinued by Dr Tygan upon discovery that the lady snakes don't even carry bags, making an added rear flap redundant

You'll also be glad to know that the snake armour is probably the most sensible of the custom ruler rewards, and one is so silly that I barely ever use it, but tbf I think the Alien Hunters pack as a whole went down the "wacky novelties for people who've played the game to death" route without really considering that it'd be bundled in for new players

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Research was ultimately discontinued by Dr Tygan upon discovery that the lady snakes don't even carry bags, making an added rear flap redundant

This is amazing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The dynamics of this game definitely shift as you learn the systems and that when you screw things up there are ways to screw them back down.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's an arms race. Sometimes you'll be ahead and tear through ADVENT like wet tissue, sometimes you'll be behind and feel like everything has unfair amounts of armor and HP. You're definitely in a decent place here, especially as you start to see some top-rank skills. They are pretty much as good as they seem, and as long as you pay attention to the enemy names to spot their upgrades, you can enjoy a little breather on the constant tension of permadeath.

Also, if we're voting how to spend your money, may I point out that you're about to finish a research project that (and I don't think it's spoilers to say this since it's called "armor") will allow you to buy an armor upgrade. Or is the reason this was posted without a poll because you realize that next episode?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I am enjoying how much of Tea's thinking is an effort to compensate for Nat's annihilation impulse.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Good picks on the level ups. Untouchable is one of the best skills a ranger can get.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Watching yall play and learn this game has been a lot of fun :allears: :3: Im just now finishing ep27. You got good :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fish Noise posted:

I am enjoying how much of Tea's thinking is an effort to compensate for Nat's annihilation impulse.

Annihilation Impulse is my new username.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Vulture will get you extra gear, which includes extra and fancier stocks, which make it a lot easier for your newbies to get kills, plus youd have a better chance of giving all your dudes video games to play.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Vulture also can get you upgrade chips and Elerium Cores if you're lucky.

They sell pretty well if you light on supplies but it'd be a good idea to start getting alloys, crystals and cores if you have nothing else to do. You need quite a few for the next upgrades.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Sorry, if this wasn't clear, a vote is coming after the next episode. Suggestions here at the moment are welcome but aren't binding like a vote is.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I'm so happy Shanty Pete was missed by the Muton's counterattack :)

When I first ran into that nasty surprise, my Ranger got critted for 9 damage instead, then meleed to death. I also find it funny that regular Mutons have counterattack and Berserkers don't (I guess they don't care for defense).

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
A bit late, but just wanted to show off that the snake armor can look AMAZING.

EDIT: Good point - switched out the weapon for a basic sniper rifle.

xxlicious fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Maybe it would be better to spoil weapons we have yet to see?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I maintain if you are not wearing the skull of your enemy at every opportunity how will the aliens learn fear.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

sniper4625 posted:

I maintain if you are not wearing the skull of your enemy at every opportunity how will the aliens learn fear.

Oh, that's right! Another side effect of the ruler armors that you'll hopefully run into sooner or later is they can cause activated groups with enemies of the same type as the ruler to panic. It's always fun to see Vipers freak the gently caress out that you're wearing their king's skin and just nope the gently caress out of a fight to rock back and forth in a corner.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

sniper4625 posted:

:hmmyes:

Also yeah vulture seems good, if only because it’ll probably pay for itself — and more — through extra stuff to sell at the black market

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Akratic Method posted:

Oh, that's right! Another side effect of the ruler armors that you'll hopefully run into sooner or later is they can cause activated groups with enemies of the same type as the ruler to panic. It's always fun to see Vipers freak the gently caress out that you're wearing their king's skin and just nope the gently caress out of a fight to rock back and forth in a corner.

Nothing better than having a pod of vipers spawn in and immediately panic as they see you wearing the carcass of their slain king :smug:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hey, you have a bigger than usual research project about to wrap up. Maybe consider how many supplies you might need to build what it gives you. You'll have about 400 if this next mission goes well, so I'm sure you can spend something and still get it, but I guess I can't tell you how much.

Also, you got your first continent bonus, and here's how continent bonuses work! There was a voiceover mentioning this, but you didn't seem to consider it or look into it. This info is all stuff that's available now, but I'll spoiler it if you want to go full groping-in-the-dark mode. To get a continent bonus, you need to contact every region in a continent and build a minimum number of radio towers in it. The number of radio towers is shown by the of little circles next to the little bars that show how many regions you've contacted. South America needed one, so you got the bonus when you finished contacting New Chile. North America needs two, but you already have one for free in the starting zone. You can now see the name of the bonus the continent offers, and you can get an explanation of the bonus by mousing over it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If anyone's following this LP but hasn't played the game, Steam just started a free weekend for XCOM 2.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

If anyone's following this LP but hasn't played the game, Steam just started a free weekend for XCOM 2.

You're a hero to us all.

Hilariously enough, this is just a couple of days after I picked up Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle for Switch, which from what I can tell is basically Mario XCOM.

I think I'm going to have plenty of XCOM for a while now!

so if anyone's annoyed at my own LP updates being delayed you know who to blame

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Hey was the pool for this ever made public?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

vorebane posted:

Hey was the pool for this ever made public?

ooh yeah that would be great so everyone can read the bios for Ma and the peraMyst peeps :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bifauxnen posted:

ooh yeah that would be great so everyone can read the bios for Ma and the peraMyst peeps :3:

Also, people with the expansion can use the Photobooth to make :krad: posters of the crew!