Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

onsetOutsider posted:

When we're critically examining works, I assume we're working towards a conclusion relating to the quality of the work, in an attempt to do that as objectively as possible.
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You literally said that it's "intolerably elitist" to not factor sales figures into an assessment of artistic value.

No, to talk about fiction while not having, while actively abjuring a vocabulary and toolset for discussing entertainment value.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Thranguy posted:

No, to talk about fiction while not having, while actively abjuring a vocabulary and toolset for discussing entertainment value.

Subjectivity in itself denotes entertainment value

The problem with your system is that it denotes a book which scores 1 entertainment point for ten people is more objectively entertaining than a book that scores 9 entertainment points for one person

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Note: entertainment points are not a real thing, it's a metaphor

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Thranguy posted:

Perhaps I'd be more appreciative of this "toolset" if you gave me examples of its tools and how they can be meaningfully put to use. I can't make head or tail of what you're arguing for here. "Entertainment value" is something that you say is inherent to a work, but as far as you've been discussing it, it seems functionally indistinguishable from commercial performance; assessing it is simply market analysis.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What do you mean?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

onsetOutsider posted:

What do you mean?
Critical examination is about understanding a text. It has nothing to do with whether the text is good or bad. A person's judgement of "good" or "bad" can be backed up with critical arguments (explaining just what they liked or didn't), but these are distinct things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sham is better at this than me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A dragon can still be an acorn though

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Perhaps I'd be more appreciative of this "toolset" if you gave me examples of its tools and how they can be meaningfully put to use. I can't make head or tail of what you're arguing for here. "Entertainment value" is something that you say is inherent to a work, but as far as you've been discussing it, it seems functionally indistinguishable from commercial performance; assessing it is simply market analysis.

I think maybe the ability of the work/artist to successfully capture the current zeitgeist. Success, value, etc. in lot of the art world is an attempt to stay ahead of trend, or set trend. So maybe popularity is a determiner in the works ability to be on or ahead of the trend.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

killer crane posted:

I think maybe the ability of the work/artist to successfully capture the current zeitgeist. Success, value, etc. in lot of the art world is an attempt to stay ahead of trend, or set trend. So maybe popularity is a determiner in the works ability to be on or ahead of the trend.
Yeah, that's market analysis. I'm not trying to pooh-pooh it here; it's just a separate discipline from literary criticism. Capturing the zeitgeist isn't a function of some consistently identifiable "ability"; it's being in the right place at the right time, which is the confluence of innumerable factors that people study by majoring in marketing instead of English.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 19, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sham bam bamina! posted:

My one hangup with this is that I find things thoroughly entertaining (maybe even engaging) that are far from critically acclaimed or massively popular. For me the examples that come to mind are mainly films since I find genuine value in B-movies (eg Creep 2, Jason Lives,), but it applies to lit as well.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
So? What do critical acclaim or popular appeal have to do with your own judgement? You say yourself that you find "genuine value" in these films.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sham bam bamina! posted:

So? What do critical acclaim or popular appeal have to do with your own judgement? You say yourself that you find "genuine value" in these films.

I'm distancing my interpretation of what constitutes "good entertainment" from both of those things.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

onsetOutsider posted:

I'm distancing my interpretation of what constitutes "good entertainment" from both of those things.
That it is separate from them is my whole drat point.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Has anybody said that "entertainment value" does not equate "artistic quality" yet? Because that is also a consideration.

I mean would you consider Dan Brown "artistic"?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Has anybody said that "entertainment value" does not equate "artistic quality" yet? Because that is also a consideration.

Would you consider dan brown entertaining

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Would you consider dan brown entertaining

Not particularly no (Eco wrote that story better earlier), but the argument above was that "entertainment" = "cash dollah" and thus this current quagmire

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bilirubin posted:

The ability of a "bad" work to entertain in spite of its deficiencies is itself a positive quality, whether it's down to pacing or tone or sheer audacity or any number of things.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The ability of a "bad" work to entertain in spite of its deficiencies is itself a positive quality, whether it's down to pacing or tone or sheer audacity or any number of things.

are you saying the ability to entertain is artistic?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The entire idea of a guilty pleasure is that something is good enough in a few specific ways (or even just one) to outweigh for you all the many ways that it's bad. You wouldn't like something if it didn't have something worth liking about it.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 19, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

are you saying the ability to entertain is artistic?

Thinking about this more, I suppose it could be following a definition of skillful--not everyone can entertain. But I usually think of art as enabling us to perceive the world from a different perspective. Perhaps I am making a definitional error.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The entire idea of a guilty pleasure is that something is good enough in a few specific ways to outweigh for you all the many ways that it's bad. You wouldn't like something if it didn't have something worth liking about it.
Agreed.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The entire idea of a guilty pleasure is that something is good enough in a few specific ways (or even just one) to outweigh for you all the many ways that it's bad. You wouldn't like something if it didn't have something worth liking about it.

There’s also the concept of something being “so bad it’s good,” where it’s badness is so over the top and absurd in such a fashion that it becomes entertaining.

I think “so bad it’s good” applies more often to movies than more participatory media like books or even video games, though, since there’s a certain point where the effort it takes to experience something is greater than the “so bad it’s good” value you’d get for experiencing it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
At the same time, genuine "so bad it's good" is a complex thing. The Room is genuine in that sense. Something like Sharknado 12: Time Sharks is not.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

At the same time, genuine "so bad it's good" is a complex thing. The Room is genuine in that sense. Something like Sharknado 12: Time Sharks is not.

ugh (i know this is a slight derail but) i HATE movies like sharknado that try to artificially emulate what makes b-movies so charming. in the end they fail as both comedies and as enjoyable films.

edit: i also think the room is bad and do not want it to be conflated with my beloved low budget horror films.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not interested in convincing you, I am interested in presenting the historical and rhetorical basis for modern criticism.

Whether you choose to acknowledge it is up to you.

There is no point in convincing you the great thinkers of the last century are right, because they have already been proven right. My goal is to show you what their arguments and perspectives are. You have to walk that path yourself.

I would ask for evidence of their having been proven right, but first I would have to know what the heck 'proven right' even means in this context.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Thinking about this more, I suppose it could be following a definition of skillful--not everyone can entertain. But I usually think of art as enabling us to perceive the world from a different perspective.

See, that's interesting to me, because I'd argue that many works of art in fields like painting and sculpture absolutely don't serve that purpose. If you look at, for example, something by Jackson Pollock, how on Earth can you use this

to see the world from a different perspective? I mean, I find some works of abstract art beautiful, but I wouldn't say that they're meaningful, certainly not in the sense you're suggesting.

Hmm.
I suppose, just spitballing on the spot, I might contend that art is the creation of a work which intends to produce an emotional effect in the consumer, and that the quality of a work of art can best be judged by the extent to which it succeeds in producing the desired effect.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've read something about this new Dune film they're doing now and I'll probably go see it when it comes out (I mean, did you see that cast?) but I wasn't actually impressed with Dune when I read it. I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high but I had the feeling that it didn't age well. IIRC someone wanted to post mini-essay on Dune but if anybody else wants to explain to me why I'm wrong, I'd love to hear it!

Oh, and I've read Dune in translation but I don't think it's a great deal, the language was fine, I had other issues.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's much better if you read the prequel series. There's a lot of lore that gets unpacked and enhances the whole thing.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I just read The Kingdom of This World by Alejo Carpentier, and it has a very interesting introduction by the author.
It's about reclaiming the fantastic, after it's misuse and striping of a truly wondrous feeling by contemporary elements, citing specifically the surrealists and the mass of knightly tales ( this was written in 1949).

I'm not knowledgeable enough in the literary criticism optics many here base their opinions (and the "only prose matters" thing is really something i disagree) but i think it resonates very well with some of the the flaws attributed to modern fantasy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thranguy posted:

I would ask for evidence of their having been proven right, but first I would have to know what the heck 'proven right' even means in this context.

By creating a working paradigm which successfully disentangles meaning and allows for later critics to build off of

but again, no, congratulations. You have discovered the emperor has no clothes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's much better if you read the prequel series. There's a lot of lore that gets unpacked and enhances the whole thing.

This is wrong. Really, the only Dune books that're absolutely worth it are the first four. Five and six start to get weird and anything written by the abominable combination of Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are just terrible.

Dune's a strange book. I mean, I love it, but in a way that's different to most books. Dune has this sense of distance about it and it never seems to really engage the heart as much as it does the brain. I think Paul's a pretty interesting character, but even reading Dune for the first time, I found myself wondering what a version of Dune would be more like if it engaged with Paul's hero's journey in a more contemporary, emotional manner. Dune is fairly dispassionate at parts, which I guess makes sense because every character is some kind of super genius manipulator, but it makes it feel a bit weird if you're expecting a more 'generic' take on 'scion of a noble house retakes his title' kind of story.

On the other hand, should there be that passionate, dramatic tension given that a key theme of the story is built around Paul being confined to his destiny?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure "this" is intentional cruelty so you just saved a goon from a very painful reading experience, thus lowering the entertainment value of this thread by one suffering internet user.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 19, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

See, that's interesting to me, because I'd argue that many works of art in fields like painting and sculpture absolutely don't serve that purpose. If you look at, for example, something by Jackson Pollock, how on Earth can you use this

to see the world from a different perspective? I mean, I find some works of abstract art beautiful, but I wouldn't say that they're meaningful, certainly not in the sense you're suggesting.

Hmm.
I suppose, just spitballing on the spot, I might contend that art is the creation of a work which intends to produce an emotional effect in the consumer, and that the quality of a work of art can best be judged by the extent to which it succeeds in producing the desired effect.

Sometimes art challenges and is uncomfortable to downright repulsive. In Pollock's case he was trying to capture on paint the action of his body, which I'd argue he succeeds at quite well (a sale of 200 million smackeroos? good lord), but may not if you aren't appreciating the metacommentary of the piece--to a more casual observer (not consumer--other than 200 mil boy, see Mel and Sham's argument above), a painting is supposed to be OF SOMETHING. Lots of art challenges this central premise. Sometimes it takes time and consideration to elevate one's appreciation (see pop opinion now on Mapplethorpe's photography vs back in the 80s).

That said, I agree with your spit balling.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Sometimes art challenges and is uncomfortable to downright repulsive. In Pollock's case he was trying to capture on paint the action of his body, which I'd argue he succeeds at quite well (a sale of 200 million smackeroos? good lord), but may not if you aren't appreciating the metacommentary of the piece--to a more casual observer (not consumer--other than 200 mil boy, see Mel and Sham's argument above), a painting is supposed to be OF SOMETHING. Lots of art challenges this central premise. Sometimes it takes time and consideration to elevate one's appreciation (see pop opinion now on Mapplethorpe's photography vs back in the 80s).

That said, I agree with your spit balling.

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that art primarily causes an emotional response because jangling keys in front of an infant creates an emotional response, but one would hardly call it art.

Art creates meaning for the subject.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

By creating a working paradigm which successfully disentangles meaning and allows for later critics to build off of

How do you tell that meaning was "successfully disentangled"? What's your metric for "success" here? It seems to me like you haven't actually addressed his -- to my mind not wholly unreasonable -- question of why you expect everyone else to blithely accept the assertion that "the great thinkers of the previous century" have created some kind of platonically ideal method of viewing literature within which all present-day discussion must be constrained.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that art primarily causes an emotional response because jangling keys in front of an infant creates an emotional response, but one would hardly call it art.

Art creates meaning for the subject.

Can you define "meaning" here?
I find it very difficult to conceive of anyone deriving meaning as I understand it from a Pollock painting, or most pieces of music without lyrics, but I'd find it equally difficult to credit an assertion that those things aren't art.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:colbert: what's wrong with keys I ask?

So you would take it the further step that the emotion provoked (because some art does do this immediately) leads to further contemplation?

I think of my personal feeling about van Gogh. I would see his paintings in a book and never got why he was such a celebrated artist. His work just looked, well, accomplished but juvenile. Then I visited the Musee d'Orsay and saw his work in person--I literally turned around in the middle of the (crowded ) room and his paintings leapt to life. It was thrilling and awe inspiring. What meaning is there beyond "holy hell how did he manage to animate a painting"?

But I accept that can be my own failing not being well educated in art vOv

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

How do you tell that meaning was "successfully disentangled"? What's your metric for "success" here? It seems to me like you haven't actually addressed his -- to my mind not wholly unreasonable -- question of why you expect everyone else to blithely accept the assertion that "the great thinkers of the previous century" have created some kind of platonically ideal method of viewing literature within which all present-day discussion must be constrained.

Do you not see why an academic tradition that goes as far back as classical greece and has its tendrils in every epoch of history might have self-evident relevance?

Critical Theory has been debated and argued and refined through the recorded history of humanity, its not unreasonable to expect someone who wants to engage with the idea of criticality to understand criticality. No one is saying that there is a single canonical way to interpret literature. However, I am saying that there are entire schools of thought that have resolved debates people like Thranguy keep trying to bring up.

The issue is that there is a fundamental arrogance in assuming you can see through the veneer of all of critical theory to such an extent you do not even have to be mildly familiar with the context of 20th century discussions on the topic to be able to say that they are obviously untrue. In the same way, its not anyones responsibility to convince you of the validity of the sum total of critical discourse.

I mean, Thranguy was trying to discount Walter Benjamin on the strength of a wiki summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

Can you define "meaning" here?
I find it very difficult to conceive of anyone deriving meaning as I understand it from a Pollock painting, or most pieces of music without lyrics

I guess we need to clarify your definition of meaning then, because there is self evident meaning in both of those examples