Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SniperWoreConverse posted:

no actually we'll need to hunt giant birds in the jungles of old new york using crossbows and bolas, and we'll need to save every scrap or the village will starve.

I would say "won't last thru winter" but there is no more winter or summer or spring, just the constant change of day and night and storm and stagnant humidity.

truly capitalism is the end of history

pretty optimistic to think there'll be giant birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EvilJoven posted:

Lmao that's just as likely to happen as techbro salvation from climate change.

Soon we will sink our teeth into the flesh of the wealthy and they will be powerless to stop it.

nah, your madmax/waterworld fantasies aren't coming true

Here's a map WHO prepared. The bigger the region on the map the higher the mortality rates due to climate change. This is a map of 'modern mortality' so yeah, it will get worse for developed countries too. But they'll suffer the least and at a far slower rate. We're already at the point where we're okay closing borders and using chemical weapons on migrants, and even letting thousands of American citizens die from extreme weather and the destruction of infrastructure it causes.
We'll grumble about things getting worse, but since it won't reach disaster movie scale and speed, we'll just slowly slough off more and more percentages of the population worthy of living past 60 or having a sub 30% infant mortality rate, but we'll take it.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Mar 15, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

nah, your madmax/waterworld fantasies aren't coming true

Here's a map WHO prepared. The bigger the region on the map the higher the mortality rates due to climate change. This is a map of 'modern mortality' so yeah, it will get worse for developed countries too. But they'll suffer the least and at a far slower rate. We're already at the point where we're okay closing borders and using chemical weapons on migrants, and even letting thousands of American citizens die from extreme weather and the destruction of infrastructure it causes.
We'll grumble about things getting worse, but since it won't reach disaster movie scale and speed, we'll just slowly slough off more and more percentages of the population worthy of living past 60, or having a sub 30% infant mortality rate we'll take it.

Yeah I figure for at least another 20-30 years there will be a lot of "billions of people in poor countries are dying due to famine so we need to beef up border security to make sure they don't come bring their famine crimes here" coupled with "gas prices have gone up 30% in America THIS IS AN OUTRAGE DRILL BABY DRILL" kicking and screaming at even the smallest suggestion that we have to change our patterns of living

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
these people will know no hardship from the destruction of the world, even their children and perhaps children's children will have great lives

these are the children of chuds who voted for trump their home is going to be literally under water in their lifetime, it'll suck and we'll laugh at them but they'll survive

this teen is already hosed and his country is starting to have flare ups and border skirmishes with another nuclear power, if that doesn't kill him he'll probably live to the ripe age of 50, due to his successful career of scavenging our e-waste for precious (and toxic) metals

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Mar 15, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I'm calling it now: the same way republicans seamlessly pivoted from "it's not happening" to "it's happening but we're not causing it", they will soon pivot to "it's happening and we're causing it but that's fine because someone wrote a wiki article about geoengineering once, and I'd rather ~encourage innovation~ by giving free money to businesses that say the word "geoengneering" rather than stifle and handicap our job creators with pointless rules and regulations about not polluting"

I mean I'm sure some people have already made that dumbass argument (I heard some idiot on the radio say it at least once) but I'm willing to bet that soon it will be the party line

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc2HrvmBOH4

love me feed me don't leave me

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

lancemantis posted:

yeah i've never understood the worship of "tech visionaries" whose entire vision seems to be "the exact same thing as now but more shiny"
“More shiny” always translates to “since you use an app on your phone we can somehow pay employees less and give them no benefits”. There’s a reason one of the biggest “tech” companies is a taxi service that requires the drivers to provide their own cars. But there’s an app so it’s innovative!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hedenius posted:

“More shiny” always translates to “since you use an app on your phone we can somehow pay employees less and give them no benefits”. There’s a reason one of the biggest “tech” companies is a taxi service that requires the drivers to provide their own cars. But there’s an app so it’s innovative!

I've said it before but Uber is actually kinda brilliant in a sinister way since they've figured out how to make the workers own the means of production (and all the maintenance and administrative costs that come with that) yet still extract most of the value from their work

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I've said it before but Uber is actually kinda brilliant in a sinister way since they've figured out how to make the workers own the means of production (and all the maintenance and administrative costs that come with that) yet still extract most of the value from their work

Somehow they lose billions every year

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah I figure for at least another 20-30 years there will be a lot of "billions of people in poor countries are dying due to famine so we need to beef up border security to make sure they don't come bring their famine crimes here" coupled with "gas prices have gone up 30% in America THIS IS AN OUTRAGE DRILL BABY DRILL" kicking and screaming at even the smallest suggestion that we have to change our patterns of living

You remember the first 30 minutes of Children of Men?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Imagined posted:

I'm gonna be the disinterested teenager playing video games while the world dies, except instead of a teen I'll be like 60 years old.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imagined posted:

Yeah that's the example I use to describe it sometimes :v:

PostNouveau posted:

Somehow they lose billions every year

Oh yeah they're still managing to gently caress it up, but at the same time they're normalizing not only the ~gig economy~ bullshit but the idea that "bring your own everything you need to do your work" is cool and good

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

these people will know no hardship from the destruction of the world, even their children and perhaps children's children will have great lives

i'm sure king louis xvi and others thought the same

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm gonna be the disinterested teenager playing video games while the world dies, except instead of a teen I'll be like 60 years old.

gently caress :same:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hedenius posted:

Shame Boy posted:

how do taxi companies work where you live? in 5 areas where I’ve lived, and where my mom worked as a taxi driver for a while, taxi drivers provide their own car and maintenance (or, more often, rent it and the medallion from someone, so mark up those costs), and are not employees of the dispatch company that runs the phone and owns the brand name (which car owners pay to have painted on their vehicles). they pay a cut to that dispatch services, are responsible for their own health insurance, and have no revenue guarantee or anything. is it different where you are, and the drivers are salaried or something?

there’s a lot wrong with Uber, but I never understand the complaint about them making people own their own cars or be independent contractors. that’s not what broke things, IMO, because that’s how people already lived as drivers in most places as far as I can tell.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This is the same company that nearly had striking engineers on Christmas Eve because they offered only barely above inflation pay increases and conditioned it on caps on overtime (which are the bread and butter of airline engineers ofc).

They've also closed down a bunch of flights to various regions, some of which you can now no longer fly to. This is after acquiring some of the small, profitable airline companies serving those regions just a few years ago.

Meanwhile their CEO is the top paid exec in the country and has had pay increases of 10-15% per year since 2015.

This is all while still calling themselves our "national carrier". The govt still owns a 53% stake in the company.

But hey, they make light-hearted safety videos with celebrities in them, and once they painted a plane to advertise Lord of the Rings.

gently caress Air New Zealand, is what I'm saying.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Dead Beef posted:

who would win in a fight? 8 billionaires or 3.6 billion poor people?

so far it's pretty clearly the billionaires

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We are deeply saddened by the recent tragic starvation cases in our concentration camps. Our hearts go out to the dead. Having said that, we also have to consider the well being of our shareholders, who have put all their trust and their hard earned money in us to deliver the best possible product. The shareholders and their families depend on us for their livelihood and we can not betray this trust. Of course we still love, respect and cherrish all of our workers and hope that they can grt their adequate nutritional requirements in the future. #wecare

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
work wont set you free, but it will buy the latest funkopop to decorate your cage with

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That's almost the same thing, you know.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/J_Cottee/status/1107127770214129664

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I bet the tits and rear end slider in the character creation screen goes all the way to float.maaaaaaaaaaax

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.businessinsider.de/un-report-devastating-arctic-temperature-rise-locked-in-2019-3?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T

quote:

Rising waters not only threaten coastal cities and infrastructure, but also lower coastal property values and hamper economies that abut the ocean.

Oh no, property values

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Though tbf the one rear end in a top hat argument I heard a libertarian make on the radio a while back was "if it's a problem, how come people are still clamoring to buy beachfront property :smug:"

Even the host of that show at the time was like "who's doing that? I'm in Miami and there's constant flooding now, nobody wants to buy that."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So you can commit crimes without people getting suspicious, duh.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
the place I rent from started using a new payment system and they charge a 7% fee to use the autopay feature

lol gently caress every major city on the west coast

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dead Beef posted:

the place I rent from started using a new payment system and they charge a 7% fee to use the autopay feature

lol gently caress everything

lol why would they charge more to make it easier
usually you get a discount for that crap

also this film is cool but weird, the main character sells out to the nsa
https://youtu.be/coDtzN6bXAM

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

because they know their tennents can afford it and have nowhere else to go, also landlords are parasites

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Dead Beef posted:

because they know their tennents can afford it and have nowhere else to go, also landlords are parasites

doesn't your bank have a bill pay feature where they'll send money wherever you want every month?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

got any sevens posted:

Because they likely have some 3rd party handling it, and the landlord's not picking up that bill.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

got any sevens posted:

also this film is cool but weird, the main character sells out to the nsa
https://youtu.be/coDtzN6bXAM

Actually the main character bankrupts the NSA and distributes the money to various charities.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
how do you bankrupt a government agency

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

some functionary: "oh thank god, someone spent the whole budget before the end of the fiscal year."

e: the idea of changing things from the inside is the liberal's version of Going Galt

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 06:53 on Mar 19, 2019

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

500 good dogs posted:

doesn't your bank have a bill pay feature where they'll send money wherever you want every month?
yes and this is what I do now, also it's a 2% fee not 7, that's for credit card payments (which is still inflated and could be waived if the landlord wasn't poo poo)

not sure if relevant to the thread but another "gently caress you" from the landlord is a change in the lawn watering policy. previously it was entirely up to a tenant whether or not they run the built-in sprinklers to water the lawn in the summer. starting this year tenants no longer have control over the sprinklers or watering. the rental company wants green lawns. now they can come in and run the sprinklers whenever they want as much as they want and tenants have to pay the city water bill for the use. last year nobody watered their lawns in the summer and everything was brown and it made the landlords mad I guess

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wasabi the J posted:

Because they likely have some 3rd party handling it, and the landlord's not picking up that bill.

i'd just pay with checks then and save the 7%...
thats how i pay rent now anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

yes and this is what I do now, also it's a 2% fee not 7, that's for credit card payments (which is still inflated and could be waived if the landlord wasn't poo poo)

not sure if relevant to the thread but another "gently caress you" from the landlord is a change in the lawn watering policy. previously it was entirely up to a tenant whether or not they run the built-in sprinklers to water the lawn in the summer. starting this year tenants no longer have control over the sprinklers or watering. the rental company wants green lawns. now they can come in and run the sprinklers whenever they want as much as they want and tenants have to pay the city water bill for the use. last year nobody watered their lawns in the summer and everything was brown and it made the landlords mad I guess

I was about to ask how the gently caress that's legal, spending money on your utilities bill, but then I remembered.

America.