Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lazyhound posted:

Based on what? I’ve never really gotten that impression from his Twitter presence.

he has some extremely succdem takes about the Russia thing but I don't know what else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

he has some extremely succdem takes about the Russia thing but I don't know what else.

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1080583295857881088

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I took that as an aesthetic rather than political stance, but I don’t follow him closely.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I took that as an aesthetic rather than political stance, but I don’t follow him closely.

he also retweets clara jeffery a great deal

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
lol, I had retweets turned off for him, which I didn’t even remember was a thing.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Centrists are just Nazis without the gumption to admit it and will do their utmost to put a wrench in the gears of change in order to maintain the status quo. The criticism is warranted.

everyone in this thread and this forum agrees with you can you stop posting like youre on the verge of tears

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Everyone should read The Difference Engine, aka the first and only good only mildly passable steampunk thing.

ftfy

read that book if you want like, 6 neat ideas and like 300+ pages of boring bullshit

and just lol @ following Gibson now. Dude's out of his element, of course his takes are going to be awful.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sadly one of the neat ideas - in fact the one I was thinking about in that post - is at the very end.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muay Thai Fighter Suspended For Illegal Titanium Shin Implants in Chiang Mai
https://fightstate.com/muay-thai-fighter-suspended-for-illegal-titanium-shin-implants-in-chiangmai/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My 4 yo son was playing with his dinosaurs before bed and randomly blurted out “fans, tell us in the comments what kind of dinosaur this is.”

There are no cameras

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ha ha ha the best bit of never having kids is watching all these little fuckers have their brains destroyed by the internet

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ekuNNN posted:

https://fightstate.com/muay-thai-fighter-suspended-for-illegal-titanium-shin-implants-in-chiangmai/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-_WBKP4Uw

The Nastier Nate posted:

My 4 yo son was playing with his dinosaurs before bed and randomly blurted out “fans, tell us in the comments what kind of dinosaur this is.”

There are no cameras

That you know of. :tinfoil:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My 7 year old students design 'shop screens' and microtransactions for their games

The 'games' are basically slideshows

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

ekuNNN posted:

OK but this rules

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Xand_Man posted:

OK but this rules

everyone in the sport should have robot bones and they can fight until there's nothing but bloody scraps hanging ragged on gleaming metal. :black101::black101::black101:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

uber_stoat posted:

everyone in the sport should have robot bones and they can fight until there's nothing but bloody scraps hanging ragged on gleaming metal. :black101::black101::black101:

Then the question becomes: how much depleted-uranium fist is 'enough' ?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

silentsnack posted:

Then the question becomes: how much depleted-uranium fist is 'enough' ?

If you look like Genos from the One Punch Man children's cartoon, you're still entirely too human for the sport.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gently caress that where's my ROBOT JOX

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kitfox88 posted:

gently caress that where's my ROBOT JOX

We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia because we don't have giant chainsaw-dicked murderbots. C'mon, the defense budget is already bloated beyond belief, the least those evil military industrial complex fucks can do is give us at least one Metal Gear.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Battle Angel: Alita was a documentary

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Screaming Idiot posted:

We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia because we don't have giant chainsaw-dicked murderbots. C'mon, the defense budget is already bloated beyond belief, the least those evil military industrial complex fucks can do is give us at least one Metal Gear.

pretty much, instead it's just used to murder brows and launder taxpayer cash into rich folk's pockets. :mad:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
xpostin'

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/boeing-downplayed-737-max-software-risks-self-certified-much-of-planes-safety/

company great according to company survey

quote:

Boeing downplayed 737 MAX software risks, self-certified much of plane’s safety

On Sunday, Ethiopia's transport minister announced that information recovered from flight data recorders aboard the ill-fated Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 revealed "clear similarities" to the data from the crash of Lion Air Flight 610 off Indonesia last October. And analysis of the wreckage indicated that the aircraft's control surfaces had put the Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 into a dive just before it crashed, killing all aboard.

While the investigation is still underway, the flight data increases the focus on Boeing's Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight software—software developed to help manage the shifted handling characteristics of the 737 MAX aircraft from other 737s. And that software, it turns out, was originally presented to the Federal Aviation Administration as much less risky than it actually was, which limited FAA oversight.

Now the Transportation Department and Justice Department have launched a new investigation into how Boeing got the initial safety certification for the 737 MAX from the FAA two years ago.

The Seattle Times reports that Boeing may have undersold the safety impact of the MCAS system during its 2015 safety certification review. Engineers who worked on the program told the Times' Dominic Gates that the safety analysis of MCAS presented to the FAA understated the magnitude of control adjustments the software could make. It also failed to take into account that, unlike previous automatic stabilizer trim systems, MCAS would reset itself each time a pilot corrected against it—in other 737s, overriding an anti-stall correction would disable the software's changes.

Additionally, the MCAS system was designed to work based on input from only one sensor—despite the fact that Boeing rated a failure of the system as "hazardous." That level of risk—which in itself was understated, according to engineers—should have been enough to require redundant sensors.

All of these understated analyses gave the FAA a false picture of the impact of the MCAS system, which was presented as a simple modification of systems aboard existing 737s. But the changes were enough that Brazilian authorities cited a need for additional pilot training on the 737 MAX even while the FAA allowed the system to go essentially unmentioned in US operation manuals.

Safety efficiency
Boeing has had wide latitude over a number of safety checks for years, despite warnings from Department of Transportation auditors in 2012 that the FAA was not doing enough to "hold Boeing accountable." That's because the FAA and Congress have given increasing power to aircraft designers over safety certifications in the name of government efficiency.

The FAA has outsourced safety certification for some parts of new aircraft to their manufacturers for decades, but the agency used to have approval authority over which engineers were selected for the job. In 2005, the FAA started to loosen regulations over Organization Designation Authorization (ODA), giving the companies more leeway over who was selected to do the work. While they were technically employees under FAA's authority, the engineers were still managed by the companies.

The changes were completely in place by 2009, and according to investigators, they gave Boeing a lot of leverage over safety-certification engineers. As Bloomberg reports, the 2012 Department of Transportation audit found that Boeing had created a "negative work environment" for engineers reviewing new designs—to the degree that many interviewed by auditors said that they'd faced retaliation for bringing up concerns.

Additional concerns were raised over Boeing's safety-certification practices in 2015 after fires aboard 787 "Dreamliners" were caused by lithium batteries used in auxiliary power. But under the Trump administration, things have been loosened up even more. In October of 2017—six months after the 737 MAX was certified—President Donald Trump signed a law that allows aircraft manufacturers to press the FAA to give them authority over how they certify components considered to be low- or medium-risk items. And if the manufacturers can convince the FAA that something falls into one of those two categories, they could essentially have free rein over how they certify their craft as safe.

THIRTEEN INCHES

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Phone posted:

THIRTEEN INCHES

well, yeah, but i dont like to brag

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

There are no cameras

yeah but when my brother and I were kids in the 80s we purportedly would leave the room saying "after these messages, I'll be right back" and nowadays we both post on the something awful foruoh god we're doomed

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Screaming Idiot posted:

Metal gear was a dumb boondoggle. We have unmanned flying death robots, wtf we need a metal gear for?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

got any sevens posted:

Battle Angel: Alita was a documentary

In the sequels, the rich are immortal and hnt down children because they fear a new generation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Metal gear was a dumb boondoggle. We have unmanned flying death robots, wtf we need a metal gear for?

TO LOOK COOL.

GIANT NUCLEAR KILLBOT > piddly remote controlled airplane used to kill goatherds and wedding guests

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Metal Gear?!?!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I remember when I first posted about this after the initial lion air crash and the universal response in this thread was "well maybe pilots should stop being so stupid"

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah but when my brother and I were kids in the 80s we purportedly would leave the room saying "after these messages, I'll be right back" and nowadays we both post on the something awful foruoh god we're doomed

They had these catchy jingles for that when I was a young n https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bqLTl9a_c

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I used to work for the FAA. When I worked there a lot of the actual FAA employees had been replaced with contractors. Like all the project managers were contractors from Boeing, Booz Allen Hamilton, or Lockheed Martin. So lots of times you would have a Boeing contractor overseeing a FAA project that Boeing was doing. That Boeing contractor may have even awarded the project to Boeing.

I assume this was apart of the make government more efficient by getting rid of government employees. But it just made them hire even more expensive contractors and brought in more corruption.

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Mar 19, 2019

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Raccooon posted:

I assume this was apart of the make government more efficient by getting rid of government employees. But it just made them hire even more expensive contractors and brought in more corruption.

That’s the price we all have to pay in the war on big government.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Low risk (high risk)
Self-certified (not certified)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1107918730611183616

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://giant.gfycat.com/FavoriteHeavenlyAfricanpiedkingfisher.webm

fits on either the hopeful "Star Trek proto-holodeck" hopepunk timeline or the grim "virtual reality gets brighter and brighter as reality gets dimmer and dimmer until people are huddled up in the corner next to an electric outlet hoping that the next brownout won't wake them up into the nightmare" timeline

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

That's a really optimistic view on the future.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That Boeing thing is the Prius brake thing all over again except this time it's a few hundred people in the sky instead of grandma in a parking lot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
all software is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1107616162089705472?s=21

hell yeah space herpes now we’re talking