Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Surprisingly Bitter posted:

They are atrocious. I bring a squad because of I like the flavour and it feels awful to have such a small amount of shooting in my army without a squad. If I was going Full Try Hard, I'd probably bring a couple Plague Brethren squads at most. My play group mostly plays Cities of Death, where most game types are 6 objectives, so they usually do fine at just holding one until some Hellblasters sneeze at them.

What's the deal with Plague Brethren? I saw them in BattleScribe the other day but know nothing about them and the statline just looks like normal marines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
How good are the Horus Heresy Audiobooks, both in terms of the actual book and the narration? I listen to a lot of audiobooks and these cost considerably more than average, but I'm willing to splurge.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mugaaz posted:

How good are the Horus Heresy Audiobooks, both in terms of the actual book and the narration? I listen to a lot of audiobooks and these cost considerably more than average, but I'm willing to splurge.

Dan said it best on the badcast, they are good and probably the best way to get through all ~50 however you probably won’t retain as much info because so much happens.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
I shamelessly stole this color scheme from someone in this thread and I'm super happy with how these guys came out. Scions may not be super great but I love that whole aesthetic.

I thought I was done painting Scions for good but I just found like 20 more models in various levels of assembly...
Also wow, these photos look pretty washed out

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SamsCola posted:

I shamelessly stole this color scheme from someone in this thread and I'm super happy with how these guys came out. Scions may not be super great but I love that whole aesthetic.

I thought I was done painting Scions for good but I just found like 20 more models in various levels of assembly...

Khorne will be pleased.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

SamsCola posted:

They do look awesome. Great job!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Played three games of KT again tonight. It is seriously insane that I can get a full game of Arena on in under 45 minutes and they all turn into hard-fought, totally unique battles. I'm not a huge fan of the Interlopers mission, now that I think I've played them all a couple times - it seems like it's very possible for both players to spend two rounds setting up with not much else happening, which is basically half the game right there.....but then Round 3 turns into an absolute bloodbath, so even then the sense of ratcheting up tension is just friggin' great.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

I've been working through them on my commute and occasionally when I'm painting, along with some 40k books interspersed. There are some books that are great and some that I powered through to be a completionist. Like the other poster said you'll probably retain more reading them by reading them, but they are still enjoyable. What makes them difficult for me is that a lot of the names are sometimes hard to follow since they are all very pseudogothic. I also very much dislike Johnathan Banks(?) as a narrator though (guy who reads dark imperium)

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Mef989 posted:

I've been working through them on my commute and occasionally when I'm painting, along with some 40k books interspersed. There are some books that are great and some that I powered through to be a completionist. Like the other poster said you'll probably retain more reading them by reading them, but they are still enjoyable. What makes them difficult for me is that a lot of the names are sometimes hard to follow since they are all very pseudogothic. I also very much dislike Johnathan Banks(?) as a narrator though (guy who reads dark imperium)

Don't really care about retaining it, this is disposable fuel for painting for me. Best case is forgetting it to a point I can listen to it again...

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Preem Palver posted:

Are you sure about this? If anything, GW seems to be going more back to the campiness of RT with the current soft reset of the setting. There's Kill Team: Rogue Trader, Blackstone Fortress and its addons, the upcoming Combat Arena, and more I'm likely forgetting. The last year has been a deluge of weird, one-off models and box sets that highlight the non-grimdark aspects of the setting in favor of expanding on the weird scifi that's been relegated to fluff in rules books for the past two decades.

Uhhh, yeah.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Mugaaz posted:

fantastic. Johnathon Keeble and Toby Longworth do a great job. The earlier HH books are some of the newer recordings as the earliest releases didn't get the audio treatment initially. If you want something outside of HH I highly recommend Talon of Horus and Black Legion by ADB, especially with the new models coming out etc

e: CSM talk

i was super excited for new CSM and I feel like it's all been a bit of a wash. Some cool daemon engines and Abby is OK i guess if he gets a point decrease but cultists were nerfed evn more instead of fixing the issues with CSM being garbage. On top of that we lost one of our best units (obliterators) as they are now overcosted as poo poo and make no sense compared to any FW dread option. None of the stratagems pull this pile of mediocreness together in any meaningful way and i dont think we're gonna see any shake up in the meta apart from EVEN MORE FW dreads and Ahrimans

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 19, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

queef anxiety posted:

i was super excited for new CSM and I feel like it's all been a bit of a wash. Some cool daemon engines and Abby is OK i guess if he gets a point decrease but cultists were nerfed evn more instead of fixing the issues with CSM being garbage. On top of that we lost one of our best units (obliterators) as they are now overcosted as poo poo and make no sense compared to any FW dread option. None of the stratagems pull this pile of mediocreness together in any meaningful way and i dont think we're gonna see any shake up in the meta apart from EVEN MORE FW dreads and Ahrimans

Ah man this answers my csm query. What's the deal with anything in power armour being fairly poo poo in this edition... It's the game's hallmark.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

JBP posted:

Ah man this answers my csm query. What's the deal with anything in power armour being fairly poo poo in this edition... It's the game's hallmark.

A combination of things. To be fair it really only matters for the competitive scene. Rubricae and and the like are just fine in casual play especially with the beta bolter rules. In the age of Castellans and Baneblades terminators really need a buff as well. If i wasn't well aware GW don't give a poo poo about competitive balancing it would be hilarious watching them promote these new termie stratagems like they have ever been close to viable.

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 19, 2019

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

queef anxiety posted:

It's extremely impressive that you're able to extrapolate that the entire book is trash despite having seen a single real preview, especially after being so wrong about obliterators.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

My theory is that GW vastly overestimated the value of the Marine statline and continues to struggle with how to balance it. T4 and a 3+ (even with a second wound) isn't nearly as useful as invulnerable saves, FNP, or maximizing the number of shots.

A Primaris Space Marine is not equal to 4 Guardsmen.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

susan posted:

Played in my first Tournament this weekend (which, actually, were also my first 2k point games...) running 180 Boyz plus Ghaz and support. Went 2-1, which I feel great about, and I learned a s**tton during. Definitely changing my list up to cover the weaknesses I found.

For competitive events, how prevalent are Movement Trays and the GW Dice Roller? I think I need to lean into those a lot more with this kind of list,. provided they're Kosher. Also at what level lam I going to be expected to have my guys painted? Not looking forward to going through 187 minis...

Heck yeah that’s a good amount of boyz. What armies did you face? What was the game you lost? What did you learn?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Pendent posted:

It's extremely impressive that you're able to extrapolate that the entire book is trash despite having seen a single real preview, especially after being so wrong about obliterators.

I guess it's habit to be a bit harsher than normal on the internet with these things. I'm totally down for being wrong so tell me your thoughts on oblits.

e: saying that, if u wanna argue termies are good or cultists aren't overcosted after having legion traits removed then im down for a car park brawl :thurman:

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 19, 2019

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

cultists aren't overcosted especially after having legion traits removed then im down for a car park brawl

Good riddance. gently caress cultists.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Mugaaz posted:

Good riddance. gently caress cultists.

yeah cultist spam is obnoxious and they should never of had legion traits but what else are you meant to do in competitive play for chaos troop choices. GW should have reworked CSM ages ago instead of nerfing cultists repeatedly like they were the cause of the problem

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

yeah cultist spam is obnoxious and they should never of had legion traits but what else are you meant to do in competitive play for chaos troop choices. GW should have reworked CSM ages ago instead of nerfing cultists repeatedly like they were the cause of the problem

I agree with you, but I can't feel bad about cultists getting the axe. My heart is incapable.

If they only way to see basic marines get played is by destroying every other option then I am happy to see the world burn.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

queef anxiety posted:

You haven't seen a single thing about csm. How can you possibly say they haven't fixed csm, knowing nothing other than that cultists are getting nerfed (which they badly needed, and not just by comparison to csm)

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My theory is that GW vastly overestimated the value of the Marine statline and continues to struggle with how to balance it. T4 and a 3+ (even with a second wound) isn't nearly as useful as invulnerable saves, FNP, or maximizing the number of shots.

Uhhh I think a primaris marine has a really good chance of winning a straight up fight against 4 guardsmen

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Mugaaz posted:

I agree with you, but I can't feel bad about cultists getting the axe. My heart is incapable.

If they only way to see basic marines get played is by destroying every other option then I am happy to see the world burn.

I feel you. You'd have to take guard down with you though. Or at least let lost and the damned be as good!

Booley posted:

You haven't seen a single thing about csm. How can you possibly say they haven't fixed csm, knowing nothing other than that cultists are getting nerfed (which they badly needed, and not just by comparison to csm)

I was referring to what they have done till this point and their track record of loving stupid decisions but ill bite. How would you like to see GW fix CSM if their point cost is staying at 13ppm

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

Of course, which sort of reinforces my fears that they're going to go away. And Inceptors/Suppressors are a thing so I'm thinking we won't see Primaris Bikers any time soon, if ever.

Why? Small marines won't be squatted for another several years, if at all, and they'll probably still have datasheets in an index or available online; GW just won't sell the kits anymore. We also already have jump pack marines and biker marines, it's not as if Inceptors and Suppressors prevent Primaris bikers down the line. Besides the further development of the phobos/tacticus/gravis marines into their own little sub-factions, they're going to expand Primaris vehicles at some point, and bikes (or maybe jet-bikes if Cawl figures out mass production) are a good candidate for a fast attack vehicle especially given their narrative significance for chapters like the Dark Angels and White Scars. Even from a gameplay perspective, I'd take my gothic rear end in a top hat black knights over inceptors 95% of the time though Ravenwing strats help buff bikers a lot.

This is a crazy amount of grim-dark doom and gloom over a kit that was either taken down to be reboxed alongside the new codex or replaced with brand new chaos bikers. As me and a couple of others have pointed out, they're going hard into the RT era stuff again, including chaos. The past six months has seen the release of a RT-era noise marine; an ork buggy that's a dewinged plane; a KT box where a rogue trader and her retinue struggle against her former crew and colonists infected with a fun new gift from Nurgle; and a game where a rogue trader, eldar ranger, man of iron, and kroot mercenary (or others) team up to explore a blackstone fortress, fight a chaos warband, and take down an ambull. All of these have rules for 40k as well, even if they're best reserved for casual, fluffy games. Unless we're bringing back "Cool" as a stat, how much more RT can we get in 8th edition?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Preem Palver posted:

This is a crazy amount of grim-dark doom and gloom over a kit that was either taken down to be reboxed alongside the new codex or replaced with brand new chaos bikers.

I didn't mean to come off all gloom and doom, don't think it was a crazy amount, but thanks for settling my concerns lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is there some fear that altering T4 and 3+ exposes that it's actually a different game?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Heck yeah that’s a good amount of boyz. What armies did you face? What was the game you lost? What did you learn?

Fought Tyranids (my loss), Dark Angels, and Slaanesh Daemons and a Knight. In the loss, I learned that Genestealers can charge me from their deployment zone into mine, so I should probably screen and have guns to soften things (that was also my first actual 40k game ever, so I was also learning about psychic powers, general rules, etc). It was also my first time experiencing the new ITC Tournament rules, so that was rough.

I haven't seen much analysis of the ITC scoring, especially which Secondaries to choose. For a Horde force like mine, Recon seemed a no brainier, but everything else was pretty situational (also I gave up four Reaper every game, but what ya gonna do), so I need to figure out the best way to score those 12/42 points consistently.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Booley posted:

Debatable. Shadowspear dumpstered oblits, and the MoP is cool, as are greater possessed, but the venomcrawler is probably overcosted. It's ok in a vacuum where you can say "but if I buff it twice and make sure I run it near this character, then it's good", but I'd still rather have other things. I got shadowspear anyway because the sculpts are great, but I'm not sure if I'll ever actually run a venomcrawler.

New lord is good (depending on costing), new models are awesome. After seeing the costing for oblits, I'm worried Abby is gonna go up, which he doesn't need. The BL focus is underwhelming (terminator models are good, terminator rules aren't). After 10000 years, CSM have finally figured out how to get the loyalist chapter master trait. Raptors probably still bad.

The loyalist Vigilus strats opened up a lot. It could still be ok, as long as there isn't a continued design focus on summoning (or everyone gets the ability to summon during psychic or after moving or something), daemon engines get legion traits, chosen get strats like vets, terminators go down in cost (even down to what loyalists cost would help) or I dunno.

If Shadowspear is the bellwether, CSM aren't fixed. I'm optimistic that GW learned from Vigilus and they get help, they just need a lot more help than loyalists did, because we can't suddenly make intercessors

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it not safe to assume a points adjustment in the near future for the new Shadowspear units?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Uhhh I think a primaris marine has a really good chance of winning a straight up fight against 4 guardsmen

Assuming no orders or rapid fire, in shooting a Guardsman has a 14% chance of wounding a Marine. A Primaris Marine has a 37% chance of wounding a Guardsman. I'm starting with the "no rapid fire" assumption because ultimately both sides would likely have the same number of shots per model; the Marine could be standing still, the Guardsman be under orders, or they could both be within half range.

Four Guardsman have a 45% chance of inflicting one wound on a Primaris Marine per round. They have a 10% chance of killing the Primaris Marine outright. For three Guardsman the probability is 36% of dealing 1 wound and 5% of dealing 2, and for two Guardsman the probabilities are 26% and 2% respectively.

I have to get my daughter to school but those numbers don't seem to be in favor of the Marine.

JBP posted:

Is there some fear that altering T4 and 3+ exposes that it's actually a different game?

I don't know. I think GW is just so used to the Marine stat line that they want to revolve the entire game around it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not sure if this is the right thread, but can anyone id these two heads?

I like them, but eBay sucks and it will cost a lot to have them shipped

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but can anyone id these two heads?

I like them, but eBay sucks and it will cost a lot to have them shipped

First one is some sort of blood angel head methinks.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know. I think GW is just so used to the Marine stat line that they want to revolve the entire game around it.

Its like the 3d6 starting stats in dungeons and dragons, its such a sacred convention that even when mechanics change they build around them, even if the game could benefit from breaking from it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

First one is some sort of blood angel head methinks.

https://www.bitzstore.com/en/blood-angels-wh40k-terminators/897-bare-head-c-assault-terminator-blood-angels-bitz.html

Yep- thanks!

Edit: Not in stock, crap

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Did GW ever give a hint that one of the reasons for blowing up Cadia was to have a reason to release new IG figures (and hence have IG players a reason to buy new figures)? I have a sense that was a very minor outcome for doing, but I havn't heard or read of any plans to release new IG infantry at all. They really need some female guard* here in the 42nd Millennium, and the ability to make different regiments beyond the 2 they have (and Steel Legion, which I think are metal and nearly as old).

A possible unrelated question, this reddit thread has a reference to one particular staff member who single handily made the lore worse, and it improved after he left (about why there arrn't female Necron's):

quote:

I once had the chance to talk to Matt Ward about it and asked this question, and the answer was that they were excised from the original codex at the instruction of (as I recall) Alan Merett, then head of IP, who also gave the instruction to remove inertialess drive from the lore; something that was somewhat bypassed even within that book with the appearance of wormholes and world engines (which surely do not use the webway) as alternate FTL. Mr Ward suggested (again to my memory) that the reasoning for this was to avoid the necrons being too empathetic as a faction.

Mr Merett has now left the company, and female necrons appear more commonly now, Xun'bakyr, as mentioned, is a Phaerakh, another Phaerakh appears in Ghost Warrior, the second Rise of the Ynnari book, while a female Cryptek has appeared in the Anrakyr Novel Devourer.

While statistics suggest that female necrons are rarer, I would generally suggest that's not what the writers intend as a whole, but the intransigence of one former staff member in the development process.

To my mind, the new Necron's with personalities are a far more interesting army and lore to read about. I'd not heard/read books of/by Alan Merett** before, did this happen, and was he responsible for other bad writing that improved after he left? With the amount of writers GW has had through the decades it's been good and bad, but this comment stands out to me.
-------------
*- I am going to buy some from Victorian Miniatures once I have rebuilt a new army for them to join. Got to paint the 1st box of infantry first.
** - I also read he's still the head of IP at GW, so this entire story might be wrong/heresy/an Alpha Legion plot/A Foul Xeno plot.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 19, 2019

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
What's with all the CSM doom and gloom?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What's with all the CSM doom and gloom?

Hope is the first step on the road to disappoinment.

Some people just prefer to get there a bit faster.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Comstar posted:

** - I also read he's still the head of IP at GW, so this entire story might be wrong/heresy/an Alpha Legion plot/A Foul Xeno plot.

His linkedin says he left in 2016.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There's always going to be one part of the playerbase who gets gloomy about new releases. I mean some people are still salty about Orktober from what I've seen.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/19/19th-mar-heretic-astartes-focus-iron-warriorsgw-homepage-post-1/
Iron Warriors preview page up by the way, no idea if this one teases anything new but the Terminators are in on a corner again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/03/19/19th-mar-heretic-astartes-focus-iron-warriorsgw-homepage-post-1/
Iron Warriors preview page up by the way, no idea if this one teases anything new but the Terminators are in on a corner again.

Hell yea Iron Warriors. Nothing makes me want to play CSM like these guys. I've always loved their paint scheme.

What do you mean by "Terminators are in on a corner"?