Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Hello friends I've not been here in a long time. What happened to El Hefe? Did he ever get out of Venezuela?

McLaren are poo poo.
Williams are poo poo
Mercedes is the most poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
You have the best av/user name

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

El hefe is dead, rip

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MustardFacial posted:

Hello friends I've not been here in a long time. What happened to El Hefe? Did he ever get out of Venezuela?

McLaren are poo poo.
Williams are poo poo
Mercedes is the most poo poo.

Thread canon is that El Hefe is dead, but in reality he's probably just having a lovely time either having fled the country or continuing to work for private security like he was last time he was around. Either way I don't think he really has time/interest in SA, and definitely not F1 without either Maldonado or Alonso.

McLaren are less poo poo than they were
Williams are somehow worse than poo poo
Mercedes are making GBS threads on everyone else

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYy-BcjRXg
Are you talking about the official F1 theme?

i hate this stupid thing so much, so of course reddit loves it and thinks its incredibly profound

what sport has a theme song lmfao this is so loving dumb

e: HAHAHAHA WHO CHANGED MY AV I LOVE IT

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

i hate this stupid thing so much, so of course reddit loves it and thinks its incredibly profound

what sport has a theme song lmfao this is so loving dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_h7Lm7C9Nk

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course they won't challenge the top 3 teams!!!! You have any idea how young haas is and how little money they have compared to merc / ferrari?

The fact you're even thinking of comparing them to merc shows how amazing they're doing. Perspective!!

It is downhill from here for haas, but as long as its only a little downhill this will be their best season ever.

They could even score more points than red bull since gasly is terribad.

Thanks for educating me there, I had literally no idea that the team was new or ran on a tiny budget or anything.

Edit: Where was this F1 doco series when Pastor was driving for Williams!

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

freeranger posted:

Thanks for educating me there, I had literally no idea that the team was new or ran on a tiny budget or anything.

Edit: Where was this F1 doco series when Pastor was driving for Williams!

IDK man maybe you should tell that to yourself then???

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

gently caress off, that would be legendary if this was also the F1 intro

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Because I goofed with Big Crush on Chad OMG's toxx, I'm making it up:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

El hefe is dead, rip

Did maduro tell you this?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iospace posted:

Because I goofed with Big Crush on Chad OMG's toxx, I'm making it up:

This is good poo poo. I’ll leave it up to wicka and yourself if the donations should happen after each race Lewis doesn’t win or just lump it end of season. I’d lean toward end of season to avoid fees on each transaction but it’s fine either way.

mrfart posted:

Did maduro tell you this?

Maduro killed el hefe

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is good poo poo. I’ll leave it up to wicka and yourself if the donations should happen after each race Lewis doesn’t win or just lump it end of season. I’d lean toward end of season to avoid fees on each transaction but it’s fine either way.

I was thinking the same thing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:toxx: if Bottas (hopefully) finishes in front of Hamilton in the China GP, I will put :20bux: into the lowtax robotic spine fund by offering one plat code and one archive code in here

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

tuo posted:

:toxx: if Bottas (hopefully) finishes in front of Hamilton in the China GP, I will put :20bux: into the lowtax robotic spine fund by offering one plat code and one archive code in here

i wonder if our poo poo posting can power his robotic spine :thunk:

btw tuo, got any cool F1 tech updates we can nerd out over?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Maduro killed el hefe

Big Huski Boi posted:

I was thinking the same thing

Yup, end of season as well.

tuo posted:

SPINES FOR THE SPINE THRONE

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GramCracker posted:

i wonder if our poo poo posting can power his robotic spine :thunk:

btw tuo, got any cool F1 tech updates we can nerd out over?

Not really. There is speculation and half a dozen of F1-nerd videos which kinda proof that Ferrari seems to have a PU problem. There are rev-drops during the straight where there shouldn't be any. Grosjean during quali radiod' something like "I have trouble with SOC" (=> electric system), Raikkonen radiod' something in the means of "I think the K is bad" (K might be either old-school KERS or specifically ERS-K), and onboard shots of Vettel changing some poo poo on the SOC switch after the "why are we slow?"-radio. There are couple of onboard vids both during quali and race where you can hear the revs dropping about 2/3 of the straight, so maybe Ferrari has a PU problem in regard to the ERS, but who knows?

There's tons of spit balling about front wing poo poo etc., but nothing I'd deem "worthwile" before we see at least another couple of free practises and maybe a race or two.

There is a totally professional speculation of my own, though. Looking at the Williams more and more, I am quite sure they somehow messed up the options menu of the software that calculates the load bearing on the car. Every single piece of them looks like it's 2.54 times as thick as it actually has to be. Maybe Mercedes didn't tell them they measure poo poo in the metric system....

e: also, regarding that spine, there is already a thread goind on that - if the goons fund it - it must react to goon inputs, kinda like the twitch darksouls interactive stream. Like QWOP-lowtax. And I am kinda sure QWOP-Lowtax would beat QWOP-Uwe Boll.

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 19, 2019

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Also: there is speculation going on about the green light on the left on Ferrari's rim/steering wheel.

It ain't DRS activation zone, neither DRS active/inactive, so some people (who might or might not work for other F1 teams) said that that's the light for "lift and coast". It also ain't in the cluster of flag lights.

People who know more than me say that if that is true, the PU truly has a problem, because it came on much too often, and would further mean the PU needs electrical charge.

That's the gossip I read. I still think it's mostly just Vettel is poo poo, and Ferrari is poo poo, but somehow the forums won't accept that as a viable input.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuo posted:

I still think it's mostly just Vettel is poo poo, and Ferrari is poo poo, but somehow the forums won't accept that as a viable input.

I mean, I definitely believe this 100%

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

General consensus re Ferrari seems to be cooling issues that didn’t materialize in testing from the sources I’ve seen. Pretty much means the season is gone given the limited number of engines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just a shame they had to take Alfa Bwoahmeo down with them. ruining a team that actually had potential

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the australia track was bumpy enough that it hosed with ferrari chassis
the engine has cooling issues so it was run detunned in australia

the season is over already.

gently caress off

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 19, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Honda is our only hope

save us frogboy!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

If it's simple cooling issues, it would be rather easy to fix without loving up too much of the aero. If it's major cooling issues (which means repackaging all the poo poo) it would be a much harder fix, as they'd need to redesign most of the coke bottle, which might gently caress up a lot of aero going to the rear wing and the diffusor.

I'm quite sure it's just Ferrari, so it's a bit of everything, plus a shity driver.

But I will hold my breath until China.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

James Key starts at McLaren in six days

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Key to victory, amiright?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I, for one, have faith in the incredible scud studs to produce the best car on the grid again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Fuckin' LOL Bill Burr does a recap of the Australian GP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-4zjRmFPI&t=568s

tuo posted:

Also: there is speculation going on about the green light on the left on Ferrari's rim/steering wheel.

It ain't DRS activation zone, neither DRS active/inactive, so some people (who might or might not work for other F1 teams) said that that's the light for "lift and coast". It also ain't in the cluster of flag lights.

People who know more than me say that if that is true, the PU truly has a problem, because it came on much too often, and would further mean the PU needs electrical charge.

That's the gossip I read. I still think it's mostly just Vettel is poo poo, and Ferrari is poo poo, but somehow the forums won't accept that as a viable input.

That's what I was thinking too, the light comes on juuuuust when he starts to lift off before a corner. But, I'd also put it down to Sebastian "Why Are We Slow" Vettel being poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Probably the most reassuring thing about McLaren going forward is that everyone of note in the technical hierarchy has been hired from Red Bull and Ferrari and not promoted from within. Obviously Pat Fry was at McLaren for a long time before Ferrari but I'm still going to count it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just FYI, fellow F1 dislikers, I started watching some of the Hong Kong EEE PREEEE (Formula E slang for "a race") and it's loving awesome. 5 seasons in to this new sport (I don't put the word sport in quotes because it is in fact less fraudulent than F1 or soccer) and still none of the drivers appear to know how to drive. They've designed cars that look vaguely like open wheel cars but are in fact stock cars so they just bang into each other for 50 minutes. And the circuits are such universally awful narrow street courses with walls on all sides that they spend the whole race at full lock on the steering bumping over hairpin curbs at segway speed. And also they have actual commentators for the broadcast and they put entire races up on youtube. Racing of the future, friends, I highly recommend it. I think I was being sarcastic through some of this post but Formula Pee is genuinely fun to watch.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Khablam posted:

I, for one, have faith in the incredible scud studs to produce the best car on the grid again.

Is this pronounced skuhd studs or scood stoods?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Just FYI, fellow F1 dislikers, I started watching some of the Hong Kong EEE PREEEE (Formula E slang for "a race") and it's loving awesome. 5 seasons in to this new sport (I don't put the word sport in quotes because it is in fact less fraudulent than F1 or soccer) and still none of the drivers appear to know how to drive. They've designed cars that look vaguely like open wheel cars but are in fact stock cars so they just bang into each other for 50 minutes. And the circuits are such universally awful narrow street courses with walls on all sides that they spend the whole race at full lock on the steering bumping over hairpin curbs at segway speed. And also they have actual commentators for the broadcast and they put entire races up on youtube. Racing of the future, friends, I highly recommend it. I think I was being sarcastic through some of this post but Formula Pee is genuinely fun to watch.

what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Or you could just watch MotoGP which loving owns and is Verifiably Good.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
formula e is still more exciting than f1

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

zelah posted:

Time will tell.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

tuo posted:

If it's simple cooling issues, it would be rather easy to fix without loving up too much of the aero. If it's major cooling issues (which means repackaging all the poo poo) it would be a much harder fix, as they'd need to redesign most of the coke bottle, which might gently caress up a lot of aero going to the rear wing and the diffusor.

I'm quite sure it's just Ferrari, so it's a bit of everything, plus a shity driver.

But I will hold my breath until China.

I’m honestly putting it down to Vettel and some relatively fixable issue. I won’t be satisfied until the team lets LeClerc actually race Vettel.

That said somebody missed some pretty giant stuff in testing. Shameful if its something as testable as a cooling problem.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The cooling issue is very Italian and hopefully they solve it in an Italian manner by using pasta based radiators or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zelah posted:

It's like "mud" because their name is mud

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GramCracker posted:

That's what I was thinking too, the light comes on juuuuust when he starts to lift off before a corner. But, I'd also put it down to Sebastian "Why Are We Slow" Vettel being poo poo.

It never went out on my custom built vettel dashboard, and I started to wonder already...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

F1 Retirement League (Formula Pee) is the best racing nobody will ever watch. Maybe once Ramon UglyPants gets the boot from Haas for finally being so poo poo that Steiner can't ignore it (and they replace him with Esteban Ocon :swoon:), then FE will hit a critical mass of F1 dropouts that it'll get more popular*.

*Pastor Maldonado will have to be there as well somehow.

1500quidpoocati posted:

pasta based radiators

That would be more durable than normal the normal Italian potmetal they use for everything else.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 19, 2019