Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Edit: the worst snipe..

:words: phone poo poo :words:

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yup.

Affecting production ? Get hosed, it has the appropriate priority, now go away.

Affecting safety ? Yeah, that gets fixed RFN.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Gorau posted:

I may have accidentally started something...
{snip}
Oops.

I'm unsure of what you believe to have started. It's likely all the highly paid people have already forgotten this happened. If it's potential friction with the dude that took three days to reset a switch, I wouldn't be too bothered; odds are the other IT staff aren't particularly fond of them either, especially after making someone else in the department do their job for them. It's not like this was a non-issue.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

So essentially my issue somehow ended up working its was through the c-suites of a multi billion dollar company on a Sunday and landed back on the tech because he didn’t reset a switch on a Friday. 

I bet next time he resets the goddamned switch

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Xythe posted:

I'm unsure of what you believe to have started. It's likely all the highly paid people have already forgotten this happened. If it's potential friction with the dude that took three days to reset a switch, I wouldn't be too bothered; odds are the other IT staff aren't particularly fond of them either, especially after making someone else in the department do their job for them. It's not like this was a non-issue.

I know that it will be forgotten by everyone (except the tech) fairly quickly, my opening comment was more tongue in cheek. I didn’t realize that events would unfold the way they did, at least in terms of how fast and who was involved, but I admit I was creating a record so I could email my bosses boss and get him to poke IT. What happened though is instead of escalating it up two levels in the hierarchy, it started five tiers up essentially. Oh well. Shits fixed now.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Affecting safety ? Yeah, that gets fixed RFN.

I work for a company contracted by said large oil companies. Our safety record has to be excellent and we must be proactive as well as responsive to safety matters. We're told by all that by every level of the business and are told that it is not only a human cost (unacceptable that is alone) but it also affects our ability to do business with those and other companies. Too many incidents? Bye bye contracts and money

Ask for a backup nuclear war surviving phone.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Gorau posted:

I know that it will be forgotten by everyone (except the tech) fairly quickly, my opening comment was more tongue in cheek. I didn’t realize that events would unfold the way they did, at least in terms of how fast and who was involved, but I admit I was creating a record so I could email my bosses boss and get him to poke IT. What happened though is instead of escalating it up two levels in the hierarchy, it started five tiers up essentially. Oh well. Shits fixed now.

Ah, I see. Sorry for taking the post too seriously.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gorau posted:

I had a similar thing today, actually! We had a support tech working with a software engineer, and they did an end run around our log collection process (which includes all sorts of control over customer information) by directly transferring the logs without going through our secure environment. There were, admittedly, some struggles related to that environment that made the process slower than it needed to be.

I helped facilitate communication with the teams necessary to resolve those struggles. After all, if the process is mandatory, it should work, right? Right. No big deal, right? Right.

Wrong. By about 3pm I'm on an email chain with a C-level laying down the law about how such situations are to be handled in the future, what should be done about today's issue, and how we should remediate any past instances where such bypasses may have occurred.

That was very much a "yes sir, it will be done" kind of conversation.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Heners_UK posted:

I work for a company contracted by said large oil companies. Our safety record has to be excellent and we must be proactive as well as responsive to safety matters. We're told by all that by every level of the business and are told that it is not only a human cost (unacceptable that is alone) but it also affects our ability to do business with those and other companies. Too many incidents? Bye bye contracts and money

Ask for a backup nuclear war surviving phone.

We actually have a sat phone backup. But the problem for this location is that we need one single number to call as a always available point of contact. Not just for emergencies, but routine operations as well. And there are no phone lines because of its remote location. So it’s IP phones, with our internet running through a microwave (I think) connection to a ‘nearby’ cell phone tower that our company paid for to have cell phone coverage in the area. We are pushing for them to assign the control room it’s own cell phone as a backup to our landline, and this incident seems to have prodded my boss in the rear end to make it happen.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ConfusedUs posted:

I had a similar thing today, actually! We had a support tech working with a software engineer, and they did an end run around our log collection process (which includes all sorts of control over customer information) by directly transferring the logs without going through our secure environment. There were, admittedly, some struggles related to that environment that made the process slower than it needed to be.

I helped facilitate communication with the teams necessary to resolve those struggles. After all, if the process is mandatory, it should work, right? Right. No big deal, right? Right.

Wrong. By about 3pm I'm on an email chain with a C-level laying down the law about how such situations are to be handled in the future, what should be done about today's issue, and how we should remediate any past instances where such bypasses may have occurred.

That was very much a "yes sir, it will be done" kind of conversation.

Are we co-workers? I've been through this exact situation before.

My favorite was when a partner of ours had a password leak, and the security response was to scramble all the passwords of anyone who had used their corp email to sign up for the partner's services. Except this happened on Superbowl Sunday, and none of the security folks on call picked up the phone. Somehow I got involved cuz I'm the Powershell bitch, and ended up on a call with the CIO, the IT director, a VP, the director of my department, and his second in command...on a laptop running off a mifi unit while my roommate drove us home from a wedding reception 3 hours from home. I had to drop the call to get on the VPN cuz there wasn't enough bandwidth to handle both (apparently if you're a VP or higher, you're too important to turn off your camera), and wrote the, like, 3 liner to reset the AD accounts and log accordingly before getting home.

I think the Patriots won that year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My favorite was when a partner of ours had a password leak, and the security response was to scramble all the passwords of anyone who had used their corp email to sign up for the partner's services. Except this happened on Superbowl Sunday, and none of the security folks on call picked up the phone. Somehow I got involved cuz I'm the Powershell bitch, and ended up on a call with the CIO, the IT director, a VP, the director of my department, and his second in command...on a laptop running off a mifi unit while my roommate drove us home from a wedding reception 3 hours from home. I had to drop the call to get on the VPN cuz there wasn't enough bandwidth to handle both (apparently if you're a VP or higher, you're too important to turn off your camera), and wrote the, like, 3 liner to reset the AD accounts and log accordingly before getting home.

I hope you made it seem like you were working frantically to solve everything during that entire three-hour trip for the overtime.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This does not seem familiar. So probably not. :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kurieg posted:

People get my last name wrong all the time, but that's been the case since Elementary school. And if people aren't using my last name every day they tend to forget and get it wrong. My entire family has gotten used to being referred to one of the more common mispronunciations. If it's clear it's not malicious it's not really worth getting up in arms over.

That said when it is clearly malicious then I'll get annoyed.

:hfive: weird last name buddy. In the case of mine, it's even worse because the way people keep read-pronouncing it is how it used to be pronounced, before it changed at some point.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Antioch posted:

Our Whatsapp team chat is *Company Name* - Top KEK

I hate it so much.

You'd be surprised to learn what whatsapp group properties you can edit if you're not even an admin in that group.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Full disclosure: I don't give a single gently caress about OKRs in a general sense, let alone your personal OKRs.

So, when you complain about your OKRs being affected because we had to close a big loving security hole that was caused by your implementation, the utter lack of fucks I give cannot be measured.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My first and last name are incredibly hard to pronounce (and write) by English (and French) speaking people. Which sucks when I was supporting an American business unit and had to call frequently to the American IBM helpdesk to resolve issues.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Full disclosure: I don't give a single gently caress about OKRs in a general sense, let alone your personal OKRs.

So, when you complain about your OKRs being affected because we had to close a big loving security hole that was caused by your implementation, the utter lack of fucks I give cannot be measured.

My team's entire OKR list depends on other teams not breaking things. Guess how well that's going!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I was blessed with a first name that starts with C, so I have the work email of "chill@$work.com". If I ever have a son his name may or may not end up being Hank...

Nah, name him Phillip. PHill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Canuck-Errant posted:

Nah, name him Phillip. PHill.
This and William crossed my mind. BHill. Definitely avoiding something with an S. SHill.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

My team's entire OKR list depends on other teams not breaking things. Guess how well that's going!

Yeah, good luck with that.

My other favorite from this morning: we pushed front-end code this morning and now we're getting failures. Is there something wrong with redis?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Somehow people constantly manage to put a “Mc” in front of my last name, even when reading it off of a paper. My last name starts with a K, so it isn’t like they’re misreading the start.
It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just baffling.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
A ticket came in:
Subject: "i can't find a file on my computer"
Body: "i saved and closed a file now i cant find it"

These are professional adults.

In my head reply: "Oops, that sucks" (Ticket closed)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Moatman posted:

Somehow people constantly manage to put a “Mc” in front of my last name, even when reading it off of a paper. My last name starts with a K, so it isn’t like they’re misreading the start.
It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just baffling.

I once I had a teacher who replaced the D in my name with a Q which I thought was just a typo until I met someone who had that name.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Many tickets came in because a senior engineer made a dumb change, unannounced, on something that he had no business touching that has brought down all services for the whole company. Multiple hour outage, still cleaning up.
Can't be more specific because dude's a goon. Dude routinely makes an otherwise cushy dream job into a mountain of bullshit. That's my story.

gently caress you, man.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Go on

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Name and shame any goon for any reason.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Maybe we can help this goon find a new job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

afflictionwisp posted:

Many tickets came in because a senior engineer made a dumb change, unannounced, on something that he had no business touching that has brought down all services for the whole company. Multiple hour outage, still cleaning up.
Can't be more specific because dude's a goon. Dude routinely makes an otherwise cushy dream job into a mountain of bullshit. That's my story.

gently caress you, man.

Wasn't me!

:agreed:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

afflictionwisp posted:

gently caress you, man.

I didn't do it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I bet the bad goon posts in CineD or D&D

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Since it's not me I don't need to fear the consequences! Post man post!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Also not me

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm doing things I have no business doing, but I haven't broken anything yet, so name and shame this badgoon!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Well dammit I did just break something that technically wasn't my problem. It was only for one user though!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gorau posted:

I may have accidentally started something...

I work for a large oil company and I currently work in a control room in a remote location. While our primary job is not to be an emergency contact center, we are the only 24 hour manned phone in the area, so we get the wonderful job of being first contact for any emergency situation. On Friday morning, around 3 am, we notice our IP phones are not working. A ticket was submitted and we were told it would have high priority and would be fixed that day.

When I returned to work that evening I discovered that A) the phones weren’t working, and B) no notes had been made on the case. I contacted our IT desk again and inquired. The desk was apologetic and immediately said they would escalate the case to critical and would contact the on call person. “We’ll be working on it tonight!” Was the response I received. My primary job intervened once again and I put this issue in the back of my mind.

Returning to work Saturday night, I was again confronted by no working phones and the only notes in the file were from the tier 1 desk saying they had escalated and left a voice mail with the on call tech. My colleagues and I were at this point a little upset. We had been using our personal phones for all our calling for the last two days and there was still no emergency contact phone for people working in the area. So, I submitted a safety hazard identification to our safety team so it could be brought up at the next safety meeting and called the desk once again to remind them that this needed to be fixed.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) what I didn’t realize was that our hazard id system not only sends the report to our safety coordinator, but to the regional safety manager. So on a Sunday morning said manager forwarded my report to his boss, VP of safety. Who sent an email to the VP of IT asking for this issue to be resolved, and cc’d it to the senior VP of operations. Who then emailed the VP of IT with “Resolve this immediately.” Said VP then emailed the network team manager with essentially “why has this not been resolved? Fix immediately”

I received an email from the networking manager on Monday morning saying that the issue has been resolved (including the whole email chain for some bizarre reason). When I checked the ticket I noticed it has been closed at 8:30 that morning by a totally different tech than who’s the case had been assigned too. I also notice that the fix was a simple switch reset.

So essentially my issue somehow ended up working its was through the c-suites of a multi billion dollar company on a Sunday and landed back on the tech because he didn’t reset a switch on a Friday.

Oops.

Zero sympathy for anybody who ends up getting shitcanned over this. Do your loving jobs, the request was more than reasonable.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*files ticket*

I need prod access, thanks and gods bless.

*marks it extremely low priority*

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

afflictionwisp posted:

gently caress you, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5fqunQ_4I

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

iospace posted:

*files ticket*

I need prod access, thanks and gods bless.

*marks it extremely low priority*

*does it immediately*

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Zero sympathy for anybody who ends up getting shitcanned over this. Do your loving jobs, the request was more than reasonable.

Yeah this is absolutely deserved. If something safety related is hosed up in an industrial setting that is absolutely fixed right loving now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

afflictionwisp posted:

gently caress you, man.

Not me, I didn't deploy anything this week.

Namechat: I have an extremely uncommon Irish last name into which folks continually want to insert an R smack dab in the middle. No idea why. :shrug: