Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1107990963002265600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

It's like majorly procrastinating a huge term paper, also it's a group project and your group all disagrees on everything, also your entire class somehow loses if you gently caress it up

it even has the "let's change the spacing and margins to make it longer" element

also there's an elaborate bomb next to the paper and jigsaw is looking at you through a lovely tv and is like "why are you just standing there you will literally explode if you dont finish this"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

twoday posted:

I'm the elected senate of city states and nations that takes the place of the abolished house of lords

i dont hate this but replace city states with trade unions and im sold

so its 20p per violation? doxxes for the many, not the few

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i like that the manifesto includes "adjust foreign office spending somewhat" and also "cosplay Romance of the Three Kingdoms in the UK"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OsF-tmGpQ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Moving parliament out of London is a great idea imo especially because Westminster palace needs tons of restoration so turn it into a museum

I'd go with Birmingham though so MPs have to deal with new street station

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

HELLO UNITED KINGDOM PARLIAMENT, I WANT TO PLAY A GAME. BESIDE YOU YOU WILL SEE A BOMB STRAPPED TO YOUR rear end, YOU MUST COMPLETE A BREXIT DEAL OR THE BOMB WILL EXPLODE

"i demand you give me 500 dollars in exchange for my release"

WHAT

"1000 dollars then"

NO WAIT SHUT UP, I'M THE ONE HOLDING YOU HOSTAGE HERE

"once you see that we're about to blow up you'll be begging to release us"

THAT-THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS. THAT'S NOT HOW ANYTHING WORKS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jose posted:

Soft brexit would almost certainly have a majority if there was a free vote on it but may refuses to allow one and the only similar kind got beaten last time

Wouldn't that depend entirely on what options were on the ballot? If the options were "no brexit" "soft brexit" and "hard brexit", I bet hard brexit would win a plurality

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i like that the manifesto includes "adjust foreign office spending somewhat" and also "cosplay Romance of the Three Kingdoms in the UK"

do not pursue rees-mogg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Brexit is the shining beacon in the hellscape of currwnt global politics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought some EU court ruled that the UK could revoke Article 50 whenever the UK wanted for whatever reason.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, can May herself just say nah no Brexit to the EU?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do right wing england people still complain about how parliament doesnt reflect the natl popular vote, or have they moved on to some new poo poo

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

when the Manchester army approached, they were greeted by an empty London with Sadiq Khan sitting alone playing a guqin

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

The ECJ wrote that the memberstate can revoke at any time but has to respect its own constitutional requirements. So there'd have to be a vote.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Noone really knows for sure

The Independent posted:

Given the UK Supreme Court ruled that Article 50 could only be triggered with a vote of parliament, it is quite likely that it would need to be revoked by a vote of parliament. The court’s advocate general said in his recommendation that it was “logical that the revocation of that notification also requires parliamentary approval” given it was required to trigger the process.

The government’s lawyers appear to have conceded this point: in their submission to the ECJ during the course of this case they said parliament must have “directed the government” to withdraw Article 50.

However, neither of these strong indications actually make it law. Given what’s riding on the question and the ambiguity of the UK constitution, there is likely to be a legal challenge no matter what happens. Only then will we be absolutely certain. But it’s probably a parliamentary vote.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gripweed posted:

Is there any way out of no deal in ten days now?

As I understand it, any deal that the EU would accept would be unacceptable to the British Parliament. The British Parliament is incapable of putting together a deal that would be acceptable to the British Parliament. In theory an extension could give May more time to do politics and force the Parliament to accept her deal. But May has proven herself completely incapable of politics. So an extension would just be kicking the can down the road. And the EU has said they won't grant an extension if there's no reason to believe that the extension would actually do anything other than kick the can down the road.

So it's no deal in ten days, right?

Yes... haha! Yes!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

System Metternich posted:

Noone really knows for sure

"the supreme court said a thing with absolute certainty i guess well never know"

its parliament, it could only be parliament. The government have to put the bill up tho, thats why there were big meltdowns about the benn amendment failure

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How about just kicking the can down the road for the rest of eternity?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lmao at brexit
lmao at mr brexit
the anglosphere is a MESS! the anglosphere is a WASTE!!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm quite certain if it comes to the last day and it's revoke or no deal time, Bercow would bend the rules to allow a vote on revocation. I loosely assume that parliament would vote for it.

Looking forward to a court case about whether the UK has revoked in accordance with the constitution (and therefore whether it's in the EU or not) being referred to the ECJ.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

tarbrush posted:

Looking forward to a court case about whether the UK has revoked in accordance with the constitution (and therefore whether it's in the EU or not) being referred to the ECJ.

Please hell world, give me this.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

tarbrush posted:

The court rules in the UK's favour, but PM Boris refuses to recognise the authority of the court

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Obliterati posted:

The court rules in the UK's favour, but PM Boris refuses to recognise the authority of the court

pardon, his official title is primobojo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

How about just kicking the can down the road for the rest of eternity?

Some bloke in a tone of righteous indignation "I cant believe the EU wont allow us to continue to kick the can indefinitely. We used to have an empire that span the world over for gods sake"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

How much would "vote leave" have to have cheated in order for it to mean anything?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Just revoke art 50, then trigger it again, then revoke, then trigger ad nauseum bing bong infinite Brexit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is there a clause where the EU can nuke you out of sheer irritation?

You know the French are going to at least consider it.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

prefect posted:

How much would "vote leave" have to have cheated in order for it to mean anything?

No one in parliament wants it to mean anything, so it doesn't. If there's ever a remainer parliament, it'll feature heavily in Chilcott 2.0

tarbrush has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Mar 19, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

euphronius posted:

good question

Maybe England can form a trade alliance with .... Turkey?

The two of you truly have a lot in common.
-Former empires with delusions of grandeur.
-Dumb idiots as your leaders.
-Confusion about what continent you belong to.
-Stolen land from Cyprus.

Heck they even have their own version of the Irish they like to abuse!

Tokamak posted:

tired: london
wired: manchester
inspired: belfast

Please, the correct clusterfuck choice would be Derry/Londonderry.

Grape has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Mar 19, 2019

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Tired: Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Wired: Derry, Ireland
Inspired: Derry, Ireland and Londonderry, Eastern Ireland

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

any good brexiting scheduled for today?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pancake rabbit posted:

any good brexiting scheduled for today?

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1108032026194657280

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Jose posted:

Moving parliament out of London is a great idea imo especially because Westminster palace needs tons of restoration so turn it into a museum

I'd go with Birmingham though so MPs have to deal with new street station

Hexham is the geographical centre of Britain, and a very nice town too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how is Hexham pronounced ? huxum?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Do you mean Haltwhistle because Hexham's a bit too far to the east to be the centre.

e: "Hexum" basically

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Do you mean Haltwhistle because Hexham's a bit too far to the east to be the centre.

e: "Hexum" basically

otoh the name combines curses + ham so it seems like the ideal seat of UK (English soon I guess?) government

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I wish lord buckethead was running things

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

neutral milf hotel posted:

I wish lord buckethead was running things
I wish our American political system would allow for these joke candidates instead of *waves vaguely at the Democratic party*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I wish our American political system would allow for these joke candidates instead of *waves vaguely at the Democratic party*

You have a joke president, what else do you want?