Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

How "deep" does a paranoid schizophrenic's auditory hallucinations go? If they use a voice recorder to record when they hear voices, will the brain trick them into hearing the same thing when playing back the recording?

And if they import the audio in a spectrum visualizer, will it jump to being a visual hallucination too, where they "see" the fictional sounds?

The hallucinations are 100% in the schizophrenic's head. I read about a schizophrenic who dealt with his hallucinations by getting a rather excitable dog who reacted to every sound somehow. If the dog wasn't responding at all he knew that whatever he was hearing wasn't there. In the case of recordings the recording is whatever the machine is hearing so the schizophrenic isn't likely to automatically hallucinate things that aren't there into the recording if they were being heard while the recording was taken.

Though in the case of recordings nothing is stopping said schizophrenic from hallucinating during the recording or hearing other stuff into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do a lot of kids' toys not work (well) with rechargeable batteries?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Rechargeable NiMH batteries put out significantly less voltage than non-rechargeables.

Cheap circuits like you’ll find in a crappy RC car or whatever don’t have the required components to provide a steady voltage regardless of their power source so they just don’t work as well at those lower voltages.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

Why do a lot of kids' toys not work (well) with rechargeable batteries?

Because they are cheap garbage (the toys) and rechargeable batteries often have both a lower voltage and a different max discharge rate than "regular" batteries. So when you take shortcuts on your circuitry design and parts count you have to have the exact voltage and power they expect.

Notice how those very same toys eat through regular batteries on the regular? Start testing them when they don't work in the toy anymore. They're worn, but still likely okay enough to run something else like a flashlight. Or something not built by the lowest bidder.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
So question, which forum should i ask about surviving college? i recently got accepted to a in-state and i'm freaking paranoid as heck.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fruity20 posted:

So question, which forum should i ask about surviving college? i recently got accepted to a in-state and i'm freaking paranoid as heck.

We have an Academics subforum of Ask/Tell. There’s several school and college threads in there
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fruity20 posted:

Surviving college isn't too tough if you follow a few rules.

Show up to class.

Never put off an assignment until the last minute. The sooner you start working on stuff the better. Procrastination will create you totally avoidable stress.

Don't overthink things. Sometimes you have to write stuff like opinion pieces. In these cases there is no right or wrong answer; pick an opinion and justify it. So long as you can find a good justification for what you're saying you're fine.

Know how much class you can handle. Don't feel like you have to do the maximum number of credits every semester.

Statistically speaking you will probably change your major. If you start taking classes and loving hate what you're doing but you think some other class is the coolest thing ever it's time to consider switching.

Avoid the party crowd. Sure they seem pretty happy but a significant chunk of them will either get mediocre grades in a useless degree or fail out entirely. You're there to learn not to drink. That's not to say you should be a total stick in the mud but you should absolutely not associate with the crowd that focuses on as much party as possible. Think about your priorities; why are you in college?

Don't work a full time job if you can avoid it. Doing college full time and working full time is loving awful. I did it two years. You don't want to do it at all. Trust me on that one.

You have some slots for free electives and while there is a maximum number of credits you can do before your funding turns off you have a ton of wiggle room. That random class that's totally unrelated to your major that just sounds so cool? loving take it. Trust me.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Surviving college isn't too tough if you follow a few rules.

Show up to class.

Never put off an assignment until the last minute. The sooner you start working on stuff the better. Procrastination will create you totally avoidable stress.

Don't overthink things. Sometimes you have to write stuff like opinion pieces. In these cases there is no right or wrong answer; pick an opinion and justify it. So long as you can find a good justification for what you're saying you're fine.

Know how much class you can handle. Don't feel like you have to do the maximum number of credits every semester.

Statistically speaking you will probably change your major. If you start taking classes and loving hate what you're doing but you think some other class is the coolest thing ever it's time to consider switching.

Avoid the party crowd. Sure they seem pretty happy but a significant chunk of them will either get mediocre grades in a useless degree or fail out entirely. You're there to learn not to drink. That's not to say you should be a total stick in the mud but you should absolutely not associate with the crowd that focuses on as much party as possible. Think about your priorities; why are you in college?

Don't work a full time job if you can avoid it. Doing college full time and working full time is loving awful. I did it two years. You don't want to do it at all. Trust me on that one.

You have some slots for free electives and while there is a maximum number of credits you can do before your funding turns off you have a ton of wiggle room. That random class that's totally unrelated to your major that just sounds so cool? loving take it. Trust me.

once I get into college, do i have to stay in a dorm room or at home?

and also for majors, my parents want me to be a doctor but i find that job stressful despite enjoying biology and health.

and if i wanna change a major, does this require paperwork?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fruity20 posted:

and also for majors, my parents want me to be a doctor but i find that job stressful despite enjoying biology and health.

Do you have a college advisor? It sounds like you need to talk to them in person without your parents.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

These are both entirely determined by individual colleges; you'll have to research the answers for each school.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't have much to add except to confirm that everything ToxicSlurpee said is really good advice, and also that all of it applies twice as hard to grad school or any kind of post-secondary education if you do end up studying to be a doctor or similar.

(Well, except changing majors. That's pretty rare for grad students. :v: )

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 18, 2019

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Students change majors all the time. There’s paperwork, but probably not much. I changed my major in my junior year and my advisor basically did everything for me.

Don’t go down the doctor track just because it’s what your parents want. College is the first real point in your life where you can choose to become the person you want to be, not the person your parents want you to be. Embrace this, and you’ll have a much easier time of things with a lot less angst. If you’re interested in biology and health there are a lot of other things you can do besides being a doctor.

Don’t feel pressured to choose a major right away, it’s better to sample a lot of classes to see what you like before you start dedicating a lot of hours towards one major. Most of your entry level classes will satisfy requirements for a wide range of majors. Like someone else said, talk to your advisor about this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fruity20 posted:

You'll have to ask your school on the housing. The school I went to mandated a year in the dorms but now mandates two unless you commute. I was close enough to commute so I never did dorm living. Then I just plain moved there. Usually stuff like that you can find waivers for if you ask around enough; they want more students not less. So you can potentially just get a cheap apartment nearby and just be all "no, I totally just live here." They really can't stop you from doing that. However the kind of school that says you absolutely must live in the dorms X years no matter what and no you can't even commute is probably not the kind of school you want to go to.

Do the math on the dorms and meal plans before you decide on anything. Where I went it was actually cheaper to pay out of pocket at the food places than it was to have a meal plan. Be very, very suspicious to the point of paranoia about any expense the school tries to push on you and be absolutely sure you ask multiple people about options. It sucks but that's the state of college in America right now. There are piles of administrative shitheads with MBAs ruining everything because hey I bet if we build this thing we would get enrollment up and oh what do you mean it costs a bunch of money? Well if we just dick the students over this way we can get the money. Oh don't worry they won't notice. Some of the companies that service the colleges in various ways are also horrible loving leeches. If you do it right you can avoid some of the worst of it.

If you don't have the tiniest shred of desire to be a doctor than don't be a doctor. Simple as that. I got the same pressure and had the same attitude toward the profession. Being a doctor just isn't for me. It's fine if it isn't for you. Don't feel like you have to decide going in. How old are you? If you're a traditional student going in right out of high school then you're literally still a teenager. If you're 18 yeah you're an adult but you're a fresh one. Young and stupid still hasn't worn off yet for one and for two part of the point of college is to explore and figure out what subjects interest you. You probably have at least some idea. Now, usually the pressure to go be a doctor or something is that it's a steady gig with a ton of money and prestige attached to it. In college you'll develop skills; some skills pay like poo poo while others pay well. The magic zone is learning to do something you can at least tolerate that will provide you a good living. You'll have a ton of options thrown at you so it's kind of important to start figuring out what you want in life. Do you just want a 9 to 5 that doesn't suck and pays the bills or do you want to find a passion? There are jobs that people tend to freaking love but also pay like crap. Do you like to build things? Do you want to help people? Maybe be an engineer or a therapist or something. Of course your degree doesn't even necessarily lock you in to one profession or another. Consider that 10% of software developers never even went to college at all and computer science majors aren't even a majority in that profession. Do a bit of research on where biology and health can take you. I think there are jobs there that aren't doctor at all; like medical researchers or something. That isn't a field I can talk about as I never took any bio in college.

What people actually give a poo poo about is what you can do. The piece of paper you get from college is actually worthless. The thing that matters is that you learn to do something and then demonstrate that you can do it. If that thing is in demand then people will throw money at you to have you do it for them.

The major paperwork again varies by school but where I went it was literally one sheet. It took like five minutes to fill out and get the right signature. Usually schools make that pretty easy given that most students do in fact change their major at least once. Some people do it two or three times.

Lastly, study math. It doesn't matter what field you're going into; study math. Cram as much math as you can tolerate into your head.

edit: And while I'm here don't let anybody tell you that if you don't go right out of high school you'll never go. I was a nontraditional student. One dude I went to school with was a retired military guy that realized that he could literally get paid to go to college thanks to his bennies. He was in his 50's and figured well gently caress it, worst case scenario he fails out and his life doesn't change. Now he has a CS degree and programs drones. People in their 60's or 70's would occasionally pop up in my classes. It may or may not be a good idea to take a year to figure out just what the hell you want to do with your life. If all you give a crap about is a steady paycheck then college might even not be for you; it's expensive now and can bury you in loans. Paying those off can be awful unless you get a pretty high paying job. There is absolutely no shame in going to a trade school. It's probably way cheaper and last I heard there are problems getting enough welders, plumbers, and mechanics in some places. In some cases you can skip school entirely and go be an apprentice then work your way up. Apprenticeships will have a decent wage in a lot of professions then it just gets better as you work your way up. It's totally respectable to do something like build cabinets or fix power lines for a living; we need people to do those things. We don't need literally everybody to be a doctor.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 18, 2019

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip answered in another thread-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 18, 2019

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
How do wireless car key unlocks work? I imagine it's some simple short range radio transmitter/receiver combo, but isn't there a limit to the combination of unique wavelengths or frequencies that tie one car to one remote? In theory, if you had just some random car remote and a full parking lot, what are the chances you would find a car that responded to the same frequency as the device in your hand?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

CzarChasm posted:

How do wireless car key unlocks work? I imagine it's some simple short range radio transmitter/receiver combo, but isn't there a limit to the combination of unique wavelengths or frequencies that tie one car to one remote? In theory, if you had just some random car remote and a full parking lot, what are the chances you would find a car that responded to the same frequency as the device in your hand?

When you hit the button you're sending a code that's unique to the car, as well as a code telling it what to do.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

-snip answered in another thread-

Try vector magic https://vectormagic.com/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tried it, it's behind a paywall. Can't download my vector image until I get a license.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What people actually give a poo poo about is what you can do. The piece of paper you get from college is actually worthless. The thing that matters is that you learn to do something and then demonstrate that you can do it. If that thing is in demand then people will throw money at you to have you do it for them.

this is only partially true. in many fields and in many places, who you know is as important, if not more important, than what you can do. this is why your advice to "avoid the party crowd" is not necessarily good advice, it depends on your goals and where you want to end up. there are lots of people who are in powerful positions or who have successful careers, not because they have valuable skills, but because they have valuable social connections and are good at making those connections.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 19, 2019

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Earwicker posted:

this is only partially true. in many fields and in many places, who you know is as important, if not more important, than what you can do. this is why your advice to "avoid the party crowd" is not necessarily good advice, it depends on your goals and where you want to end up. there are lots of people who are in powerful positions or who have successful careers, not because they have valuable skills, but because they have valuable social connections and are good at making those connections.

Both are important, and to ignore one is foolish. Yes, who you know is important when finding trying to find a job, but the number of positions available for someone who majored in Frat Bro and minored in Beer Pong are basically zero unless you went to an ivy league school. Yes, meet people in college. Yes, maintain those connections. But if you don't have any skills you're never going to go that far.

In any sort of STEM field (ie. where all the money is these days), being able to do the thing is vastly more important than who you know. Social connections help you land a job, but they don't do a very good job of helping you keep it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kedo posted:

Both are important, and to ignore one is foolish.

I never said to ignore anything. I simply said that the advice to "avoid the party crowd" is not necessarily good advice, depending on your goals and agenda. It is in fact possible to make friends with people who party hard and to go to class and survive with a good academic record.

quote:

In any sort of STEM field (ie. where all the money is these days), being able to do the thing is vastly more important than who you know. Social connections help you land a job, but they don't do a very good job of helping you keep it.

Sure, as I said it depends on the field and your goals. In spite of your belief that "all the money" is in STEM fields, many other fields do continue to exist - and there are plenty of fields in which social connections and the ability to form them are just as important, and in many cases far more important, than any material learned in college.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 18, 2019

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

CzarChasm posted:

This used to be a problem with garage openers; they'd use an 8 bit dip-switch to set the code, which only gives 256 possible combinations, so having a neighbor whose remote also opened your door was a possibility (I've known 3 or 4 people who have had to change their code because of this). Now days with electronics being cheap everything is 256 bits or more, which is 10^77 combinations, so collisions are highly improbable and they use some type of rotating encryption to prevent people from recording the code and playing back at a later time (though attacks against keyless cars still exist and are pretty neat).

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I suspect a student of plagiarism, but I can't fond the source of the short story he's written anywhere.
It's a story told using letters from WW1, and it contains this cutesy moment that is very atypical of something a HS student would write:

Does anyone recognize this? In the story, the solider sees tanks for the first time and is injured and is writing home to his wife. This excerpt is from one of her letters back.

Edit: There's a second little tale of the son where he overpays for a sloppy haircut, so the barber cuts his hair carefully the second time, assuming a similar tip, but the boy carefully counts out his money to repay the careful haircut? These are written like strange, unfunny jokes.

DavidAlltheTime fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 19, 2019

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I don’t know if the story in question is plagiarism or not but you might want to repost that text as an image to avoid the small chance of an angry plagiarist student doxxing you via google search.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I (finally) started reading a Jane Austen book. When she talks about people having estates that can generate a certain amount of money per year, what is that money from - rent from tenants, proceeds from their own farming, something else?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Badger of Basra posted:

I (finally) started reading a Jane Austen book. When she talks about people having estates that can generate a certain amount of money per year, what is that money from - rent from tenants, proceeds from their own farming, something else?

All of the above, and the mix would depend on the particular estates. Practically all of them had farming enterprises that would generate income from sales outside the estate on top of handling a significant portion of the workers/residents' diet. Rent from the tenants or things produced by their labor in kind also feeds into that. Many estates would also have some level of light industry/manufacturing going on for supplying local needs, which was often developed enough to sell to nearby areas and sometimes even around the country. The estate holders of course took their cut.

Because things like the agricultural output and the rents especially were fairly consistent year to year, you would often refer to an estate comparison by way of the expected revenue more than raw size, population, etc. After all 1000 acres in one part of the country could easily produce far more revenue than 10,000 acres out in some lovely moors.

Some of these estates are still in operation to this day, often having been turned near-wholly into suburbia or even straight up parts of cities, but with the old family retaining overall landlordship. Others run modern farms, typically aiming their products as a luxury purchase sort of things - stuff they'd sell in Whole Foods in the US.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 19, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

“Their own farming” would mean “farming managed by their estate manager(s), work done by hired hands or as extra paid work by tenant farmers” in those cases.

Some estates had mines or mills on them also (since mills needed water to run in those days), which were usually rented to companies that staffed and managed them.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Ask in the venting about students thread. I'm sure they'd love to help.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

I'm not saying never go to parties at all ever or don't make friends or whatever. What I'm talking about are the people who act like college should be a four year long party and treat their classes like an annoyance they have to grudgingly deal with. These are the people that put the absolute minimum effort in, if even that, and encourage that behavior in others. I for one think it's good advice to avoid the too cool for school crowd; they'll happily drag you down if you let them. Far as I can tell they're a pretty small subset of college students so you still have a pretty big chunk of people to get connected with.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'd never hire any of the dipshits I was friends with in college

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You'll have to ask your school on the housing. The school I went to mandated a year in the dorms but now mandates two unless you commute. I was close enough to commute so I never did dorm living. Then I just plain moved there. Usually stuff like that you can find waivers for if you ask around enough; they want more students not less. So you can potentially just get a cheap apartment nearby and just be all "no, I totally just live here." They really can't stop you from doing that. However the kind of school that says you absolutely must live in the dorms X years no matter what and no you can't even commute is probably not the kind of school you want to go to.

Do the math on the dorms and meal plans before you decide on anything. Where I went it was actually cheaper to pay out of pocket at the food places than it was to have a meal plan. Be very, very suspicious to the point of paranoia about any expense the school tries to push on you and be absolutely sure you ask multiple people about options. It sucks but that's the state of college in America right now. There are piles of administrative shitheads with MBAs ruining everything because hey I bet if we build this thing we would get enrollment up and oh what do you mean it costs a bunch of money? Well if we just dick the students over this way we can get the money. Oh don't worry they won't notice. Some of the companies that service the colleges in various ways are also horrible loving leeches. If you do it right you can avoid some of the worst of it.

If you don't have the tiniest shred of desire to be a doctor than don't be a doctor. Simple as that. I got the same pressure and had the same attitude toward the profession. Being a doctor just isn't for me. It's fine if it isn't for you. Don't feel like you have to decide going in. How old are you? If you're a traditional student going in right out of high school then you're literally still a teenager. If you're 18 yeah you're an adult but you're a fresh one. Young and stupid still hasn't worn off yet for one and for two part of the point of college is to explore and figure out what subjects interest you. You probably have at least some idea. Now, usually the pressure to go be a doctor or something is that it's a steady gig with a ton of money and prestige attached to it. In college you'll develop skills; some skills pay like poo poo while others pay well. The magic zone is learning to do something you can at least tolerate that will provide you a good living. You'll have a ton of options thrown at you so it's kind of important to start figuring out what you want in life. Do you just want a 9 to 5 that doesn't suck and pays the bills or do you want to find a passion? There are jobs that people tend to freaking love but also pay like crap. Do you like to build things? Do you want to help people? Maybe be an engineer or a therapist or something. Of course your degree doesn't even necessarily lock you in to one profession or another. Consider that 10% of software developers never even went to college at all and computer science majors aren't even a majority in that profession. Do a bit of research on where biology and health can take you. I think there are jobs there that aren't doctor at all; like medical researchers or something. That isn't a field I can talk about as I never took any bio in college.

The major paperwork again varies by school but where I went it was literally one sheet. It took like five minutes to fill out and get the right signature. Usually schools make that pretty easy given that most students do in fact change their major at least once. Some people do it two or three times.

Lastly, study math. It doesn't matter what field you're going into; study math. Cram as much math as you can tolerate into your head.

edit: And while I'm here don't let anybody tell you that if you don't go right out of high school you'll never go. I was a nontraditional student. One dude I went to school with was a retired military guy that realized that he could literally get paid to go to college thanks to his bennies. He was in his 50's and figured well gently caress it, worst case scenario he fails out and his life doesn't change. Now he has a CS degree and programs drones. People in their 60's or 70's would occasionally pop up in my classes. It may or may not be a good idea to take a year to figure out just what the hell you want to do with your life. If all you give a crap about is a steady paycheck then college might even not be for you; it's expensive now and can bury you in loans. Paying those off can be awful unless you get a pretty high paying job. There is absolutely no shame in going to a trade school. It's probably way cheaper and last I heard there are problems getting enough welders, plumbers, and mechanics in some places. In some cases you can skip school entirely and go be an apprentice then work your way up. Apprenticeships will have a decent wage in a lot of professions then it just gets better as you work your way up. It's totally respectable to do something like build cabinets or fix power lines for a living; we need people to do those things. We don't need literally everybody to be a doctor.

I'm 19 and this will be the last year of high school for me. Yet...I lack the adult mindset. I have so many conflicting thoughts on career paths that i'm not sure what major i want. I enjoy doing digital art, but I also like writing more specifically screenwriting. I gotten in interest in game development and coding. And, for the longest time, I wanted to be a biologist or maybe a zoologist.

then not to mention my parents wanting me to do a medical doctor but i'm just not into it. then again....there's a reason the starving artist is such a common thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You need to chill out. You’re 19. I’m 30 and I’m on my third career. Whatever you do next will almost certainly not be what you do forever, so go hog wild for illustration or whatever, learn as much as possible and keep your eyes open for the next thing that’ll be good when you get bored!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fruity20 posted:

I'm 19 and this will be the last year of high school for me. Yet...I lack the adult mindset. I have so many conflicting thoughts on career paths that i'm not sure what major i want. I enjoy doing digital art, but I also like writing more specifically screenwriting. I gotten in interest in game development and coding. And, for the longest time, I wanted to be a biologist or maybe a zoologist.

then not to mention my parents wanting me to do a medical doctor but i'm just not into it. then again....there's a reason the starving artist is such a common thing.

After highschool I didn't do any schooling for almost five years. I'm in my late 20s now and tackling college and y'know what? I still have no friggin' clue what I'll do for a career. I'm technically aiming for an accounting degree (because it'll be guaranteed useful in basically any field) but heck if I know what my future plans are.

My advice to you is try to relax a little bit. You don't have to pick now, and college has a lot of general requirements you'll have to tackle either way, so ease into those and focus on learning and growing up. You're going to be fine.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

tuyop posted:

You need to chill out. You’re 19. I’m 30 and I’m on my third career. Whatever you do next will almost certainly not be what you do forever, so go hog wild for illustration or whatever, learn as much as possible and keep your eyes open for the next thing that’ll be good when you get bored!

thank you. yea, I worry way too much as of late.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I don't know. If you're 30, I don't think you can be on your third career, you're still just trying poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't know. If you're 30, I don't think you can be on your third career, you're still just trying poo poo.

It’s unclear whether this current thing is a new career or the same career, you’re right. But it is a significantly different job where I’m using my experiences and qualifications in new ways. vOv

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

It’s unclear whether this current thing is a new career or the same career, you’re right. But it is a significantly different job where I’m using my experiences and qualifications in new ways. vOv

It's irrelevant either way - the advice is solid. If you're young, relax. You have a long life ahead of you and it's going to be vastly different than you expect. Chill and don't stress!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I suspect a student of plagiarism, but I can't fond the source of the short story he's written anywhere.
It's a story told using letters from WW1, and it contains this cutesy moment that is very atypical of something a HS student would write:

I thought the style sounded familiar, if not the words so did some quick googling and welp I'm a narc
https://www.family-times.net/illustration/Free/200234/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I thought the style sounded familiar, if not the words so did some quick googling and welp I'm a narc
https://www.family-times.net/illustration/Free/200234/

This is in a different form than the OP posted, and it occurs to me that it's possible that this is a fairly common or widespread story. I won't speak to whether or not incorporating common folk tales or aphorisms into fiction follows the spirit of the assignment, but it's worth considering if that's what it is, rather than just blatant plagiarism.