Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Fangz posted:

Wonder if it's regional?

Mine looks like

The algorithms are a deliberatly opaque pain in the rear end and give people wildly different results because they serve different poo poo based on where you live, what you search and click on and also just random stuff they test out on random users. Like X-O said it could even be a result of you poisoning your own search history, like how your recommended videos get hosed up on youtube if you ever click on wrong video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

hey, someone mentioned comics """journalism""" and this is what I get when I google Brie Larson

super glad that google is feeding me poo poo clickbait upfront as a "top story"

this is more me venting about it than contributing anything meaningful to the discussion, but god drat seriously I would sure like to look at anything comics or comic movies related without having to wade through poo poo like this

SJW poster LUNATIC SLEDGE gets blood pressure DESTROYED by GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS

Stop reading Nazi websites and Google won't give you Nazi results.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The way to test it is to browse on private mode/incognito. If you still have the same results it's working off of 'regional preferences'.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Supposedly you can get rid of bad recommendations from Google by searching for variations of "I hate <sitename>" three times.

(It's weird that in this age of progress we've been reduced to these superstitious shenanigans to get technology to work for us.)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just checked in incognito and on a blank comp and got a combination of "Huge Box Office Gains!" and a bunch of alt right garbage, including that "Star Wars Girl DESTROYS Brie Larson!!" garbage vid that someone will have to summarize to me because there is no way in hell I'm clicking that poo poo

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
FWIW I checked locally (the Philippines) and from Washington (over VPN) in incognito windows and only got alt right garbage browsing from my real IP address.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just checked in incognito and on a blank comp and got a combination of "Huge Box Office Gains!" and a bunch of alt right garbage, including that "Star Wars Girl DESTROYS Brie Larson!!" garbage vid that someone will have to summarize to me because there is no way in hell I'm clicking that poo poo

'Star Wars Girl' is not terribly interesting. She's just decided she can get more of that sweet monetization cash by pandering to the alt-rights as 'see, girls are on our side' and got her start with the chud 'Fandom Menace' Star Wars crowd but nobody cares about Star Wars flicks right now so Marvel it is!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm sorry for you folks living amongst the chuds :(

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my results actually get chuddier in incognito mode

welcome to Oklahoma

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Renfamous has a whole little thread about how CG IndieGoGos are failing this year whereas EVS' new one for even more of the same issue of Cyberfrog is already at 80K, shooting the idea of 'ComicsGate wants a community of new comics' in the head.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107733387362607104

(One wonders how much of that is Ethan trying to prime the pump.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Hahaha

https://twitter.com/ironkodiak/status/1107755877476585473?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Least he's honest, I guess.

https://twitter.com/AGramuglia/status/1107818417107681280

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Seriously though, it's just about wanting good comics.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107804190087237636

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

drat that's a dope-rear end Samus, sharing that with some of my friends.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watch out! Somebody's spiking the return serve!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107840344790585344

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Yall making me miss 4thletter - loved reading their thoughts and as a casual comic reader their recommendations and highlights were gold.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Seriously though, it's just about wanting good comics.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107804190087237636

A dude like that I just can't help but feel sorry for. It's pretty clear he probably loves comics, almost certainly is some shut-in weirdo, found (unfortunately) a group of similar people in CG, and in turn bought into their garbage wholesale. I almost feel a little bad seeing him called out like that, it's not like he's some industry artist who still can't draw worth a poo poo, he's just some pathetic loser.

Almost.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I looked at his twitter and he's one of those people who thinks calling Nazis Nazis is as bad as being a Nazi, so any compassion I might have had disappeared pretty drat quick.

Also there's something called "#warcampaign" that's tearing apart the comicsgate community? site, did you see anything about that in your brief venture staring into the abyss?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ryonguy posted:

A dude like that I just can't help but feel sorry for. It's pretty clear he probably loves comics, almost certainly is some shut-in weirdo, found (unfortunately) a group of similar people in CG, and in turn bought into their garbage wholesale. I almost feel a little bad seeing him called out like that, it's not like he's some industry artist who still can't draw worth a poo poo, he's just some pathetic loser.

Almost.

Yeah, I don't like making fun of people like that unless they're doing straight up hateful poo poo.

But now I see Skwirl's post and gently caress this guy.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Also there's something called "#warcampaign" that's tearing apart the comicsgate community? site, did you see anything about that in your brief venture staring into the abyss?

I just read through a lot of the tag and I still have no idea what the gently caress. Someone said mean things about someone else? Doug Tennapel may be involved? Someone's planning some kind of CG-adjacent platform and people are arguing whether non-CGers should be allowed? It's all very confusing because they don't stick to one subject and also twitter's muddled algorithm sorting of posts does not help.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

I just read through a lot of the tag and I still have no idea what the gently caress. Someone said mean things about someone else? Doug Tennapel may be involved? Someone's planning some kind of CG-adjacent platform and people are arguing whether non-CGers should be allowed? It's all very confusing because they don't stick to one subject and also twitter's muddled algorithm sorting of posts does not help.

Apparently some people left a group called Indiecron and Doug TenNapel lied about talking to them beforehand? Some people are brutally upset he 'defamed loyal ComicsGators.' They're also upset at Jon Del Arroz (who you will remember as the leading Hispanic voice in science-fiction) for making noises that's he also in the group when he was apparently 'kicked out' along with Vox Day.

Now I am dumber.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Donde Esta posted:

Yall making me miss 4thletter - loved reading their thoughts and as a casual comic reader their recommendations and highlights were gold.

Meh.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah that one guy who always wrote about royal rumble so sucked

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently some people left a group called Indiecron and Doug TenNapel lied about talking to them beforehand? Some people are brutally upset he 'defamed loyal ComicsGators.' They're also upset at Jon Del Arroz (who you will remember as the leading Hispanic voice in science-fiction) for making noises that's he also in the group when he was apparently 'kicked out' along with Vox Day.

Now I am dumber.

When you stare into the abyss, the abyss calls you the n-word in your DMs.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah that one guy who always wrote about royal rumble so sucked

Good thing he's never written anything again even remotely like...a list of the best What Ifs on some random site.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That guy is just the worst! I hear he smells bad, too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent posted:

Good thing he's never written anything again even remotely like...a list of the best What Ifs on some random site.

Oh poo poo, thank you for linking that.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Renfamous has a whole little thread about how CG IndieGoGos are failing this year whereas EVS' new one for even more of the same issue of Cyberfrog is already at 80K, shooting the idea of 'ComicsGate wants a community of new comics' in the head.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107733387362607104

(One wonders how much of that is Ethan trying to prime the pump.)

So this Ethan fella opened a kickstarter for Cyberfrog and got it funded, but didn't deliver. He then opened a second kickstarter for the same thing(?) that also got funded, but didn't deliver. Now he has started a third kickstarter for the same thing and it looks like it will get funded? That is mind blowing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unlike most CGers, EVS is actually talented, so it's not a *huge* surprise his campaigns are actually successful, though we're certainly well into "shame on you" territory.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It helps that 99% of the backers don't give a poo poo about comics or actually getting any kind of quality product here, this is entirely about owning the libs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

So this Ethan fella opened a kickstarter for Cyberfrog and got it funded, but didn't deliver. He then opened a second kickstarter for the same thing(?) that also got funded, but didn't deliver. Now he has started a third kickstarter for the same thing and it looks like it will get funded? That is mind blowing.

Would you now be shocked to learn how little of the project he's done since the first Kickstarter? He openly states - brags, almost - how it's not been scripted, possibly even plotted, and he's been posting panels that some of which he has drawn before. The original IGG is seven months late and counting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the What If article on 4thletter was better just because it kept track of the all important Spider-Death Stat.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Would you now be shocked to learn how little of the project he's done since the first Kickstarter? He openly states - brags, almost - how it's not been scripted, possibly even plotted, and he's been posting panels that some of which he has drawn before. The original IGG is seven months late and counting.

Was his the one that was having "problems with the printers"?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Was his the one that was having "problems with the printers"?

Now that you mention it I don't think he's played that card. That's more Dickie Meyers and Mike Miller's go-to excuse.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Now that you mention it I don't think he's played that card. That's more Dickie Meyers and Mike Miller's go-to excuse.

Now you say it I think that may have been him.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's really worth underlining here that it isn't Kickstarter they're using, it's Indie "Get The Funds Even If You Don't Reach Goal" GoGo

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

That guy is just the worst! I hear he smells bad, too!

I always knew this would be my milkshake duck moment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Watch out! Somebody's spiking the return serve!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1107840344790585344

So that dude is gonna sue people who laugh at him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

So that dude is gonna sue people who laugh at him?

Somewhere ComicsGate's pet legal counsel Nick Rekieta just became highly aroused.