Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Posts like this, even in jest, are getting lame now. And push peoples towards a greater depression.

So please kindly stop doing this bullshit.

Nah, that was a great post. Making fun of mental illness is bad. Dumping on nihilism is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

You bet I'm gonna spent a lot of energy in Ottawa Centre pushing the climate change agenda.

Emilie Taman is on board with GND ideas (source: personal communications)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I want to like Taman and I know a lawyer is not her client (and there's certainly no shame in taking someone's money to lose a fight) but I'm still getting over her publicly advocating for James Sears' "right" to distribute hate speech by mail.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Moist von Lipwig posted:

(1) Therapy has better outcomes long term but it doesn't really work in a crisis, once someone has arrived at the place ChairMaster is at. There's some newer emergency pharma interventions that are promising but by and large most antidepressants do not work, sometimes performing worse than placebo and often disrupting and harming vital systems in the body

Echoing this. There's a new current of thought that current antidepressants mostly decrease anxiety, which can lead to depression but is completely different, physiologically speaking. To complicate things further causes of depression and depression-related conditions are manifold and require different approaches for effective treatment.

Anyway. I've got my own demons and I've had been first on the scene of suicide attempts. Hits very close to home.

Hope you got help CM

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Maneck posted:

Nah, that was a great post. Making fun of mental illness is bad. Dumping on nihilism is good.

Nihilism is the most positive philosophical framework in history. It's positively manic in it's push to embrace life.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

flakeloaf posted:

I want to like Taman and I know a lawyer is not her client (and there's certainly no shame in taking someone's money to lose a fight) but I'm still getting over her publicly advocating for James Sears' "right" to distribute hate speech by mail.

I'm not aware of this story. I've known her for a while and we had a lot of 'spergy conversations.

We couldn't come from more different backgrounds and I know very little about law. But what I know is she's passionate and from our discussions seems honest about wanted strong non-compromising climate action paid for by the wealthy and corporations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Nihilism is the most positive philosophical framework in history. It's positively manic in it's push to embrace life.

No way, look at how negative this passage from Nietzsche is:

quote:

My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it—all idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary—but love it.

xtal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 19, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I'm not aware of this story. I've known her for a while and we had a lot of 'spergy conversations.

We couldn't come from more different backgrounds and I know very little about law. But what I know is she's passionate and from our discussions seems honest about wanted strong non-compromising climate action paid for by the wealthy and corporations.

Pretty innocuous stuff really; it's nothing to get wrapped around the axle over. He was her client when YWN was flailing zundelfully against the most recent [successful] attempt to shut them up, and she made a public statement in that capacity claiming that the right to free speech ought to be defended at every turn. I agree that it should be, and I also agree with the existence of hate speech laws, cause the collision of the two nearly always gives us a discussion with value.

On election day I'm happy to throw my vote away for her.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Libs: Gonna lib
Cons: Gonna be really racist
Dippers: Gonna work at party HQ and never get elected

Is the emphasis on "Party" or "hq"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Is the emphasis on "Party" or "hq"

It's a party in 4K which coincidentally is also the amount of money in the NDP's bank account

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

There's a "sink on Green" joke in there I can't be bothered to extract.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/TrevorRobb_/status/1108013973427892224

Savage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm guessing she has a video of Jason Kenney eating kittens

Now he's only gonna get 68% of the vote

or maybe she's bringing ralphbucks back

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

She’s asking the LG to dissolve the legislature.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

She’s asking the LG to dissolve the legislature.

I think you mean the Huawei

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
She said she wouldn't call early though. Politicians can't be trusted :argh:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Isn't Alberta like 2 months out from their fixed election date? I literally don't know what could stop the UCP from winning a majority in Alberta at this point

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

Isn't Alberta like 2 months out from their fixed election date? I literally don't know what could stop the UCP from winning a majority in Alberta at this point

People have said that the previous two elections about Wildrose. Then the candidates start saying crazy poo poo.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The elections act says the fixed election date can be any time between March 1 and May 31, or also at any time before that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

1500quidpoocati posted:

People have said that the previous two elections about Wildrose. Then the candidates start saying crazy poo poo.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

You bet I'm gonna spent a lot of energy in Ottawa Centre pushing the climate change agenda.

Emilie Taman is on board with GND ideas (source: personal communications)

The GND is a worthless handout to establishment interests and does nothing more than maintain the status quo of modern society. To avoid extinction we require a green revolution, which alters society as radically and rapidly as the industrial revolution or renaissance. :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What’s your point here? We should all just not vote because the UCP has a large lead?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

On election day I'm happy to throw my vote away for her.

I thought she was running in Ottawa Centre this time around.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

I thought she was running in Ottawa Centre this time around.

Ah. Ottawa-Vanier doesn't officially *have* a candidate (yet again).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

1500quidpoocati posted:

What’s your point here? We should all just not vote because the UCP has a large lead?

The point is that at this point it doesn't really matter who says what or who you vote for, Jason Kenney Premier is happening

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

flakeloaf posted:

Find a thing that makes you feel happy in the moment, and enjoy that moment. Nobody has a "happy life". Most of us just have happy moments in quick enough succession that the next one's worth reaching for it.

I've typed a couple of responses to this but they all come our sounding like I'm giving unsolicited advice to the depressed, so I'll just say I also enjoy this philosophy.

I take it one step further in that I've found the things that give me happy moments and made them weekly or daily routines.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DariusLikewise posted:

The point is that at this point it doesn't really matter who says what or who you vote for, Jason Kenney Premier is happening

Ahh okay, I’ll just crawl into a hole and die then :rolleyes:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

That's what they said about Patrick Brown.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's what they said about Hillary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidpoocati posted:

Ahh okay, I’ll just crawl into a hole and die then :rolleyes:

Yeaaaah buddy :smith: :respek: :smith:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's what they said about Patrick Brown.

Correct, it's important to remember that things can get worse.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

1500quidpoocati posted:

When people said Wildrose was a sure thing, there was another conservative party splitting the vote. Now there isn't. 50% of Alberta voters, if not more, are reliably conservative and will vote for the UCP even if they have scandals and white nationalist candidates.

I'm not saying don't vote or don't try. Get out there and do what you can, but don't be surprised when in the end Kenney wins an overwhelming majority despite scandals that would sink Notley in a instant.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This thread is falling back into it's depressive defeatist attitude...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

vyelkin posted:

It's a party in 4K which coincidentally is also the amount of money in the NDP's bank account

:stat:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I don't really understand the outrage about kenney. For one thing the guy is a douchebag, has always been a douchebag, and internal party politics is always sleazy as gently caress.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The last Alberta election where the conservative parties didn't get over 50% of the popular vote was 1993, and even in that election Klein won 44% and formed a majority government.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EngineerJoe posted:

The only reason AB went orange is because of vote splitting. How many principled conservatives will vote someone else or abstain from voting UCP? For the answer look south to principled republicans

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

What the gently caress is the alternative for somebody in Alberta at this point

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

vyelkin posted:

When people said Wildrose was a sure thing, there was another conservative party splitting the vote. Now there isn't. 50% of Alberta voters, if not more, are reliably conservative and will vote for the UCP even if they have scandals and white nationalist candidates.

I'm not saying don't vote or don't try. Get out there and do what you can, but don't be surprised when in the end Kenney wins an overwhelming majority despite scandals that would sink Notley in a instant.

Would not be surprised in the slightest if Kenney wins but I think starting from the mindset that he’s guaranteed to win is really loving dumb especially on the basis of polling which have a history of skewing ridiculously towards conservatives in this province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

What the gently caress is the alternative for somebody in Alberta at this point