Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My experience is that SMS backs up fine, but MMS does not, at least not pictures.

Why is message continuity so hard?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use this one running on a nightly schedule (or on-demand) and it backs up everything fine, including MMS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_CA

I might need to try this because my MMS stuff is gone too, now that you mention it.

Also, for some reason, I've reverted to an old version of Messages that still persists after a trip to APK Mirror for the most recent one and I don't have RCS anymore on the app.

But I do have it on the Messenger on the Web thing!

This is a nice clusterfuck of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've used it before and it works well, but my point is it shouldn't be necessary from a cloud loving company. It also cannot work with RCS.

I should just log into my google account with messenger on any and every device and have all my messages. Period. This isn't that hard.

Messages backup is also one thing you can't export with Takeout.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I've used it before and it works well, but my point is it shouldn't be necessary from a cloud loving company. It also cannot work with RCS.

I should just log into my google account with messenger on any and every device and have all my messages. Period. This isn't that hard.

Messages backup is also one thing you can't export with Takeout.

Oh I completely loving agree. I accepted a long time ago that I'm gonna have to rely on 3rd party apps for basic poo poo. Thanks Goog.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I ended up having to switch to Airplane Mode (I've actually never done that on my P2XL until today...weird, I just don't use that button, I guess), clear data for Carrier Services and Messages, turn off Airplane Mode, then finally it updated the app properly.

Why are we forced to using this again? That was not very user friendly as I had to dig through Reddit for the solution.

"Discussion > IYG > Android Apps: Not very user friendly", perhaps? :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I mean, you did opt into beta software not meant for general consumption. I think there's an implicit understanding that you're supposed to know what that entails. Yes, this is a case where you're restoring a backup and it's not related to the beta itself but everything was fine before you went and messed it up on purpose.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Found a second minor annoyance with Pocket Casts: the time listed in the queue doesn't include the time left in my current podcast. I have to do math to figure out how long the queue will last. Ugh!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I ended up having to switch to Airplane Mode (I've actually never done that on my P2XL until today...weird, I just don't use that button, I guess), clear data for Carrier Services and Messages, turn off Airplane Mode, then finally it updated the app properly.

Why are we forced to using this again? That was not very user friendly as I had to dig through Reddit for the solution.

"Discussion > IYG > Android Apps: Not very user friendly", perhaps? :v:

When did Google force you to try using an early beta OS on your only personal phone?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to get the "chat features" in the Google Messages app on devices other than the Pixel3/XL?

I'm on a Note9 on Verizon and realized that I didn't have any of the features Google was claiming justified killing Allo, only to find they're ostensibly for Pixel only?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Annath posted:

Is there a way to get the "chat features" in the Google Messages app on devices other than the Pixel3/XL?

I'm on a Note9 on Verizon and realized that I didn't have any of the features Google was claiming justified killing Allo, only to find they're ostensibly for Pixel only?

RCS requires carrier support.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CLAM DOWN posted:

RCS requires carrier support.

Verizon supports it, but their website says it's only available on the Pixel3 and Pixel3 XL

Since the carrier obviously supports it, I wanted to know if I could force it on my Note9

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Annath posted:

Verizon supports it, but their website says it's only available on the Pixel3 and Pixel3 XL

Since the carrier obviously supports it, I wanted to know if I could force it on my Note9

It's not a per device thing like that so that's weird. Try downloading Google Messages and trying it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, for whatever reason verizon (i don't think they're the only carrier in the states doing this) are limiting it by device. :iiam:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I mean, you did opt into beta software not meant for general consumption. I think there's an implicit understanding that you're supposed to know what that entails. Yes, this is a case where you're restoring a backup and it's not related to the beta itself but everything was fine before you went and messed it up on purpose.

Endless Mike posted:

When did Google force you to try using an early beta OS on your only personal phone?

I specifically said I didn't care if it's beta and I knew what would happen. It's not like it's hidden anywhere and that's not the point.

The point is that this happens even if you have to normally factory reset. This is how you get RCS back, beta update or not. At least on Fi anyway.

In fact, from what I read from people upset about it on Reddit, you can randomly lose RCS in Messages on Fi and it's the only way to fix it. If you didn't go searching online, Fi Support isn't going to help you because they don't know how to fix it on their end. Thus, it's not consumer friendly.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 14, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah, for whatever reason verizon (i don't think they're the only carrier in the states doing this) are limiting it by device. :iiam:

Verizon sounds weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You need a specific OS level patch from T-Mobile before you are supported with RCS on their network.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37789

Support is basically limited to Samsung flagships for the past few years and this past week they rolled out support for the OnePlus 6T.

The S10 doesn't seem to even be supported yet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 14, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Is there a better weather app for pushing alerts for severe weather notifications? I'm using Dark Sky as my general weather app but there's no way to tweak how notifications are sent or how frequently, so it plays a warning every time there's an update on a special weather statement or flood watch I don't care about.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

CascadeBeta posted:

Is there a better weather app for pushing alerts for severe weather notifications? I'm using Dark Sky as my general weather app but there's no way to tweak how notifications are sent or how frequently, so it plays a warning every time there's an update on a special weather statement or flood watch I don't care about.

Doesn't the Google app send you severe weather alerts? I've found that it's pretty good about only sending them when it's something you'd want to be alerted about.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Doesn't the Google app send you severe weather alerts? I've found that it's pretty good about only sending them when it's something you'd want to be alerted about.

It doesn't seem to do what I want it to. I definitely can't select that I don't want to be alerted for flood warnings, for example.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, I'm getting a shitload of annoying ads that redirect my browser. How do I make them stop please? Running a pixel 3 with the normal chrome, not rooted. They don't seem linked to any recently installed apps, and I've deleted all the ones Ive installed since the issues have happened

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I use Kiwi Browser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiwibrowser.browser&hl=en

Seems to do a pretty good job blocking ads.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

tarbrush posted:

So, I'm getting a shitload of annoying ads that redirect my browser. How do I make them stop please? Running a pixel 3 with the normal chrome, not rooted. They don't seem linked to any recently installed apps, and I've deleted all the ones Ive installed since the issues have happened

Firefox for Android takes AMO addons, including (importantly) uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere, and also does Firefox Sync.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Haven't tried FF on Android in years. How does it compare, speed and smoothness wise, to Chrome? Last I tried it, scrolling was choppy and it loaded pages weird so they jumped around. I use FF on all my PCs and wouldn't mind getting away from Google a bit more on my phone (I know, I know, I'm using Android on a Google Pixel phone).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Uthor posted:

Haven't tried FF on Android in years. How does it compare, speed and smoothness wise, to Chrome? Last I tried it, scrolling was choppy and it loaded pages weird so they jumped around. I use FF on all my PCs and wouldn't mind getting away from Google a bit more on my phone (I know, I know, I'm using Android on a Google Pixel phone).

It works well enough for things I still actually use the Web directly for on smartphones, but admittedly that's not much of my phone usage profile. I suppose it's more about its capacity for containment than its direct utility or performance for me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

Fast and smooth, doesn't jump much more than other things when loading heavy sites. Blocking ads is always a big speed boost anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

From what I remember, I would scroll twitter and it would jump up and down as it loaded new tweets while I was trying to read. Granted, that must have been on my Nexus 5x. Guess I'll give it another shot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

From what I remember, I would scroll twitter and it would jump up and down as it loaded new tweets while I was trying to read. Granted, that must have been on my Nexus 5x. Guess I'll give it another shot.

Can't guarantee that it doesn't do that on web twitter. Tweets can be content heavy, they load as you scroll and they don't take on their screen space before they start loading. I remember Opera solved it nicer in the early broadband days, they assigned each picture their actual screen size early on. So even if it took forever to load the 56k warning thread, the page kept its dimensions all the time and you could read the text just fine.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It seemed okay reading it on FF today.

Twitter has been fine on Chrome since I started using it again in 2016.

As to why I don't just use an app: :shrug:

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
People who are posting about pocket cast. What's better about it than podcast addict? Is it worth the price?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I will say one good thing came from the pocket casts update. It no longer bugs out when connecting to my car's bluetooth. Half the time it'd play for half a second before stopping if the podcast was already playing. It probably was trying to hit play because my car's bluetooth tries to resume whatever you were last playing when you connect to it and was accidentally pausing because of that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MagusDraco posted:

I will say one good thing came from the pocket casts update. It no longer bugs out when connecting to my car's bluetooth. Half the time it'd play for half a second before stopping if the podcast was already playing. It probably was trying to hit play because my car's bluetooth tries to resume whatever you were last playing when you connect to it and was accidentally pausing because of that.

oh hey, i thought that was just my phone doing its own personal "lol im a dumb android" thing but now that you mention it...it hasn't done that again since the update

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Flaskraven posted:

People who are posting about pocket cast. What's better about it than podcast addict? Is it worth the price?

Never used podcast addict, but I bought it for the web integration.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have Honor View 10 which has a terrible notes app and I just want to be able to paste a list of items and convert it to a list with checkboxes (ironically something the default iOS notes app can do). And no, I don't want to log in before I even start using the application (Todoist, Any.do)! Does anyone know of a simple app like that?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think Google Keep will automatically format a list into a checklist?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Party Boat posted:

I think Google Keep will automatically format a list into a checklist?

I just tested it, and it absolutely can.

I just wrote 7 different things in Samsung Notes, copied it, opened Keep, and tapped on the Checkbox icon at the bottom. It started a new Note with a single Checkbox. Long Press > Paste, it all showed up, and Keep quickly formatted it into a Checklist.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I just use Samsung Notes :shrug:

I'd feel weird not using it on my Samsung Note 9 :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Annath posted:

I just use Samsung Notes :shrug:

I'd feel weird not using it on my Samsung Note 9 :v:

The person asking is using an Honor View 10, which is a Huawei phone, so Samsung Notes probably won't run on it.

Also, it doesn't do what they asked. I tried that, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uthor posted:

I don't hate Pocket Casts as it doesn't clash with how I use it. Mark as played and archive are just redundant, from what I see.

Can one change how swiping to add to up next works? Pulling all the way automatically plays that file next. I always want to add to the end of the list, so I gotta swipe halfway and then tap.

New update added the option to change if a full swipe plays next or adds to the end of the queue.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

thehoodie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about this (please direct me if not), but google is shutting down Inbox and forcing everyone to move back to Gmail. I can't stand Gmail (why would I possibly want 5 separate I boxes) - is there an alternative that allows bundling, snoozing, and swooping like Inbox? Preferably with a desktop equivalent.

Why, google, why? :smith:

I'm having a lot of trouble going back myself. I think I'd be ok with tabs, but tabs don't show how many messages I have that are new in the app or even present them on the main page of the app.

I really like Outlook for work and I may give it a shot. It doesn't bundle but it can snooze and lets you swipe to perform actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The Gmail app lets you snooze now, at least. I never used Inbox so I can't say how similar this snooze is to that one.