Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

parsimonious

Word of the day calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Word of the day calendar?

No, I just like the word.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Looks like we're going to need a new thread title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--cFOyeT7E

Prey - They called the 3rd System Shock "System Shock 3" but this is the Prey thread?

Pretty weird how they're calling the fourth system shock "system shock 3", but who am I to judge?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Underworld Ascendant (the other Otherside game) was majorly unfinished, and all round not very good, correct?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rinkles posted:

Underworld Ascendant (the other Otherside game) was majorly unfinished, and all round not very good, correct?
Phil Spector is a visionary designer in need of a hyper-competent producer. Deus Ex was basically a miracle, an overambitious game that got cut to hell and still came out as a breathtaking whole. But game development is a lot more complex these days. He hasn’t fared well.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Phil Spector is a visionary designer in need of a hyper-competent producer. Deus Ex was basically a miracle, an overambitious game that got cut to hell and still came out as a breathtaking whole. But game development is a lot more complex these days. He hasn’t fared well.

I know you mean Warren Spector but still lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Stun gun? You mean that disruptor thing which is for the robots? I haven't upgraded that at all, because I found it very difficult to use (and yes I am struggling with corrupted operators), but maybe if I upgrade it it'll get easier to use. I also just found the plan to fabricate more ammo for it, and I do have a plan for weapon upgrade kits too. Blocked-in room in the airlock/satellite bay in the Hardware Labs

The Wrench can't be upgraded and seems to have almost no stopping power whatsoever. I'll take the shotgun over gloo + wrench most of the time.

Yeah. It's easily the best weapon in the game. It stuns most enemies, making them unable/less able to attack you and increases the damage they take. Those enemies it doesn't stun, like robots, it does a lot of bonus damage towards, such that it is a one-or-two shot kill on all operators, turrets, and technopaths, iirc. I think there are only two enemies immune to it: telepaths and the Nightmare, and I'm not positive about the telepaths. (Also telepaths get utterly wrecked by psychoshock so it's less of an issue).

As a bonus, it gets ridiculously ammo-efficient with some upgrades. Oh, and early on it makes it easier to hit enemies with thrown objects from ambush since it keeps them in place.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah. It's easily the best weapon in the game. It stuns most enemies, making them unable/less able to attack you and increases the damage they take. Those enemies it doesn't stun, like robots, it does a lot of bonus damage towards, such that it is a one-or-two shot kill on all operators, turrets, and technopaths, iirc. I think there are only two enemies immune to it: telepaths and the Nightmare, and I'm not positive about the telepaths. (Also telepaths get utterly wrecked by psychoshock so it's less of an issue).

As a bonus, it gets ridiculously ammo-efficient with some upgrades. Oh, and early on it makes it easier to hit enemies with thrown objects from ambush since it keeps them in place.

Telepaths briefly get stunned, but wake up as soon as they hit the ground. If they are already on the ground, the stun lasts longer iirc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

Actually he is a hyper competent producer but he hasn't fared well mostly due to being in jail until he dies.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

My most powerful gun is the Q-Beam thing which I just found, but that barely seems to make a dent.

??? From my experience, the Q-beam SHREDS in those situations and was the only really effective weapon against enemies like that. I find this very confusing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ah, after exploring the Fitness Center, I now understand how Telepaths/Mind-Control works. The victims act like kamikaze bombs, rushing up and exploding their heads on sight. But if you stun them or kill the Telepath, they just pass out.

Also, Poltergeists are really cool, thanks to how they cause freaky things to happen in the area before they show themselves.

There are so many characters though, that I'm having trouble keeping all the sidequests and characters straight in my head, and sometimes even what my main objective is. But that's okay, I guess.

Glagha posted:

??? From my experience, the Q-beam SHREDS in those situations and was the only really effective weapon against enemies like that. I find this very confusing.

It's probably because they have a ton of health that it didn't seem to be doing much and also I wasn't completely understanding how the gun worked. I did finally figure out that when their health bar turns green, that's showing how much longer you need to Q-Beam them before they explode.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 20, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

veni veni veni posted:

Sometimes I worry that people will just stop making AAA single player stuff in general unless the franchise is so big that it's practically untouchable. Seems like every good SP game sells like crap now unless there's a ton of brand recognition behind it :(

Just too bad everyone now wants to be a :mlg: BR streamer dreaming of Twitch megabucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is treasure hunt worth finishing? It’s the last side mission I haven’t done and going all over the station sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The prize is good (unless you try to shortcircuit the "quest", in which case you get a lovely reward instead) but nothing gamebreaking or unbelievably good. It is a fun questline that provides a bit more depth/humanization to the characters as you explore, but really one that is best suited to uncovering while you do the rest of the game/explore the station, so you'll just be running from one end of the map to the other multiple times which will get old pretty quickly if you've already done everything else. Similarly, the prize is a bigger help if you've still got game stuff left to do once you finish it up.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
If anyone has completed a HUDless run all my hats are off to you. Every god damned time I go on a spacewalk I get insanely disoriented the second I leave the airlock tunnel and I'm not sure I'd ever find my way back without the objective markers. Even with them on it takes me forever to find them again once I lose my orientation. It probably doesn't help that I'm always drinking when I play this game, but still...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, for as much as I've loved my time with the game it sort of takes a crap at the end (or what I'm assuming is near the end . haven't quite finished it yet). Everything post the military takeover has just been obnoxious and draining. The military drones are the most god awful, annoying enemies, and everything seems so convoluted all of a sudden as it dumps a mix of important end game story stuff and trivial side missions that i wasn't expecting at all. Great game but I'm kind of ready for it to be over now.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hah, that's not even THE end-game mechanic that pushes you to go faster. The one you'll get last really drives the point home that it's no longer time to putz about. But yea, the enemies you have now are a major threat make to take you out of your comfort zone as you're probably really OP by now, and it even puts an IRL timer on core missions, which is cool. The main mission has like a half-dozen permutations depending on what you're done in the major zones, I actually appreciate how much effort they put into it. It's only really jarring imo because the early/mid game can be taken at such a relaxed pace, I really wish there where things like constantly respawning mimics or something to get you into a more forward-momentum thinking mindset. SS2 did it and it was stressful, but good.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Looks like we're going to need a new thread title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--cFOyeT7E

Prey - They called the 3rd System Shock "System Shock 3" but this is the Prey thread?

Looks very... 90's

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Shodan's face seems a little.... off

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Shodan's face seems a little.... off

it's the lack of cables. This new version seems more of a ... punker hair style than an AI with cables and circuitry everywhere. It is also a lot more round, the original SHODAN had a far more triangular outline.

vs

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not to mention the original has a very feminine appearance while the new is a dude with a big nose

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Basic Chunnel posted:

Phil Spector is a visionary designer in need of a hyper-competent producer.

Actually he's a murderer OP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The end of this game is so bad I’ve almost lost interest in finishing it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

jokes on you.... it's good

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think I've explored almost everywhere I can now without advancing the main plot in Deep Storage. I should try and track down the last two treasure maps, but even if I can get them both, trying to identify where they're pointing will be a nightmare. I also just realized that I do not have a tracking bracelet like the rest of the crew. I guess this might make sense since I wouldn't have had it on earth, but still, it's a little odd.

I also just discovered that the elevator is not as safe as it assumed. Friggin enemies can just teleport into it.

Some of the quests are confusing. I found a body with an item on it, and I got the objective to insert a psychoactive particle emitter into the water supply, but I have no idea WHY I would want to do this. It wasn't explained, so I don't see a good reason to do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

jokes on you.... it's good

I’m just being hyperbolic. Certain enemies have just been driving me nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright finished it. need to go back and get the other ending still. Overall great game. I didn't mind the part of the end that a lot of people seem to hate but the time between Dahl landing and getting to the shuttle was utter misery due to the military operators . It's not like it ever felt undoable but it was just so loving annoying that it made me forget what was going on because it was a such an endless onslaught of the one of the stupidest enemies I've ever seen in a game. Either way, that was like 2 hours out of 32 and the other 30 were great so whatever.

It's definitely unlike pretty much any modern game and feels super replayable when I'm in the mood again down the road. it definitely does the "play your way" thing right which most games are utterly miserable at. The story was pretty good but mildly disappointing. I think it excelled at what matters most, which is keeping you interested in the moment. I never had any questions about why I was doing what I was doing and it all felt pretty coherent. Most importantly it was entertaining. In the end I thought the game set itself up for way more of a minfuck than it ever delivered. The twist was kind of cool but, eh. Wasn't bad or anything, but I'd expect more after the whole "everything you know is wrong" intro.

Still overall baller rear end game. Definitely up there as one of the best single player games in years.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I think I've explored almost everywhere I can now without advancing the main plot in Deep Storage. I should try and track down the last two treasure maps, but even if I can get them both, trying to identify where they're pointing will be a nightmare. I also just realized that I do not have a tracking bracelet like the rest of the crew. I guess this might make sense since I wouldn't have had it on earth, but still, it's a little odd.

I also just discovered that the elevator is not as safe as it assumed. Friggin enemies can just teleport into it.

Some of the quests are confusing. I found a body with an item on it, and I got the objective to insert a psychoactive particle emitter into the water supply, but I have no idea WHY I would want to do this. It wasn't explained, so I don't see a good reason to do it.

That quest has a really cool in-game effect, it makes all water fountains and taps refill your psi, without limits or drawbacks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Krazyface posted:

That quest has a really cool in-game effect, it makes all water fountains and taps refill your psi, without limits or drawbacks.

Thank you for telling me. Too bad the game didn't. Instead the audio log put forth a very reasonable argument from the "don't install that" person. I might actually skip that one as I barely use PSI and have like 70 hypos.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

1. No idea been ages sorry.
2. That was a one-shot event, you're fine. It's also funny you gotta admit.
3. I have no idea, but you might have shortcut'd through a semi-major quest there. The game allows for this, what probably happened is you missed the logs that opened the quest to begin with in a previous area.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My office is getting really crowded, so it seems like the endgame is coming up. I'd better finish up any last quests.

I decided to go for a "pure human" route, although after the really early transcribe you find in a office in Psychotronics that has Morgan talk about inserting human neurons into a typhon to see what happens" and just about everyone else going I thought you, Morgan, were back on Earth, I think I have a good idea what the twist will be.

Serephina posted:

1. No idea been ages sorry.
2. That was a one-shot event, you're fine. It's also funny you gotta admit.
3. I have no idea, but you might have shortcut'd through a semi-major quest there. The game allows for this, what probably happened is you missed the logs that opened the quest to begin with in a previous area.

1. It turns out there are only 4 maps and I had them all. I discovered that one of them was for the water treatment plant entirely by accident by being in the right spot and facing the right direction on pure chance, and it auto-updated the quest. If I can decipher what some of the symbols on the maps mean, I should be able to track the rest down too. EDIT: Found them. Maps are for Crew Quarters, G.U.T.S. Fuel Storage, Cargo Bay, and Water Treatment.

3. Could be, although I did just get the achievement for finding all transcribes shortly thereafter (and I still found another one later). Maybe it was in an e-mail on some locked computer.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 21, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh. I spent an hour or more tracking down all those treasure maps and I got jack poo poo from it. I GUESS my reward was supposed to be fabrication plans or something, but I have everything already. Yay.

double nine posted:

if you've gone through all the necessary steps you should have acquired a new, unique fabrication plan.

It is not something you can find lying around in a level.

Oh, you're right. I hadn't had cause to visit a fabricator and I just assumed that there were no more plans because I had filled two full pages.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 21, 2019

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh. I spent an hour or more tracking down all those treasure maps and I got jack poo poo from it. I GUESS my reward was supposed to be fabrication plans or something, but I have everything already. Yay.

if you've gone through all the necessary steps you should have acquired a new, unique fabrication plan.

It is not something you can find lying around in a level.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Considering how rarely people finish games these days, let alone replay them, I think encouraging people to go human only near the start of the game was a huge mistake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For me it sort of worked. Even after getting Sci powers I didn't bother with a single one for the first half of the game other than combat focus, since I already felt invested in my human tree. Which made most of the game feel pretty challenging. Only towards last quarter or so had me feeling godly, and I was appreciative of it then, cause it throws so many enemies at you. I also never upgraded my health so I was very squishy the whole time. The game never felt way too easy. probably cause my build sucked lol.

unrelated, but one thing I don't understand. I got a trophy for killing Alex and even a discussion about it in the ending. But, as far as I know I didn't and in fact he lived. January tases him and he is unconscious, then morgan uses the computer to destroy the Typhon. I don't know what could have killed him or what I could have done to prevent it. Weird.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

veni veni veni posted:

January tases him

Not necessarily

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

unrelated, but one thing I don't understand. I got a trophy for killing Alex and even a discussion about it in the ending. But, as far as I know I didn't and in fact he lived. January tases him and he is unconscious, then morgan uses the computer to destroy the Typhon. I don't know what could have killed him or what I could have done to prevent it. Weird.

You didn't leave him in the arboretum when it got evacuated, did you? Because he'll asphyxiate unless you drag him out of there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Where the HELL is Grant Lockwood. I activated his tracking bracelet, which has the IMMENSELY UNHELPFUL direction of "Talos I Exterior". I looked everywhere reasonably obvious, but the place is huge, and I give up.

Also for the smuggling stashes quest, should I assume that there's only one per map? I found Lobby, Cargo Bay, Crew Quarters, and Hardware Labs.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Oh man I think I remember that corpse. He's way the gently caress out there past the rings I think near the shuttle bay area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah he's a long way out, make sure you're using a security console to track him or you'll be looking forever.

Edit: Oh sorry you mentioned you were, it wasn't showing up as a blip on your HUD?