Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But you see my trained gamer eyes can see 120 fps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Private Cumshoe posted:

yes worthwhile games are revolutions whatever that means, OoT had some real crap level design and other bizarre design decisions nonetheless

also I didn't really think Ken was half Japanese that was just a failed Elliot Rodger joke

I always thought Oot was bad too. It was pretty tedious and slow with obvious puzzles

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ograbme posted:

I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But when I do, 60 looks worse.

Really depends on the refresh rate of your tv / monitor

On a 144hz monitor you will see a huge difference between 30 and 60

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Ograbme posted:

I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. But when I do, 60 looks worse.

Lucky. Once I got used to 100+ FPS anything lower started to look blurry and jerky. Also some games will render the world at my monitor's framerates but certain ingame enemy animations are still locked to 60fps and it's really disorienting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ragedx posted:

City of heroes/villains was an amazingly good waste of time. Too bad it didn't really make it to the top.

The one game that I wish was more popular would be Emperor: Battle for Dune

I'd play a Dune MMO, that sounds like it would be fun. I'd be a spice smuggler

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Changes in color occurring in less than ~1/30th of a second will not be detected by humans. But motion, especially continuous panning of an entire scene as you look around in a video game, is very noticeable at much smaller intervals.

food court bailiff posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular at all but an hour into Nioh and it loving rules, nobody told me it was Team Ninja!!! Souls-style world and gameplay with Team ninja combat, oh man

here's an unpopular opinion: Nioh actually kind of sucks after the initial excitement wears off. You fight the same 5 freaking dudes over and over again for the whole game. The loot system and side quests are an absolute chore. And most of the bosses barely pursue you at all so you can just chill a safe distance from them and run in for a poke between attacks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

In games where you design levels, like Mario Maker or Megaman Maker, it's much easier to make ridiculously difficult Kaizo type levels than it is to actually make a well balanced level that has an appropriate challenge level. Mario Maker was cool but it didn't do enough to discourage gimmicky bullshit like "the level plays itself" in favor of actual, normal rear end levels that are fun to play.

I particularly enjoyed Megaman Maker. It's really a special skill to create a level that anticipates player feelings and actions and make something that is fun to traverse. Nintendo didn't figure out how to create fun 3D levels until 3D World

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ograbme posted:

I'm fine playing games with a steady 30 fps but 60 fps with framerate dips make me want to stop playing entirely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

In games where you design levels, like Mario Maker or Megaman Maker, it's much easier to make ridiculously difficult Kaizo type levels than it is to actually make a well balanced level that has an appropriate challenge level. Mario Maker was cool but it didn't do enough to discourage gimmicky bullshit like "the level plays itself" in favor of actual, normal rear end levels that are fun to play.

I particularly enjoyed Megaman Maker. It's really a special skill to create a level that anticipates player feelings and actions and make something that is fun to traverse. Nintendo didn't figure out how to create fun 3D levels until 3D World

there are thousands of Mario rom hacks and custom levels. years before Mario Maker came out there was a program called Super Mario X which was basically the exact same thing for windows.

there is enough fan made mario levels out there to last a lifetime. there is no need to complain about the gimmick levels! there's enough for everyone

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ograbme posted:

30 FPS feels way worse to play (higher input latency) and looks like a slideshow.

60 FPS are a must.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turok Evolution strikes me as having all the ingredients of what woulda been a great shlocky game but it just all didn't work together.

I mean, you play as a Native American warrior fighting dinosaurs, what more fitting enemy can there be than a cowboy riding a T-Rex?

Actually there's a couple FPSes that have a mystical native american protagonist for no particular reason that don't really suffer for it.

Kind of a bummer way to phrase that for us natives, like you were made to play a native and expected it to suck and didn't, and you were surprised by it.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

internet celebrity posted:

Lucky. Once I got used to 100+ FPS anything lower started to look blurry and jerky. Also some games will render the world at my monitor's framerates but certain ingame enemy animations are still locked to 60fps and it's really disorienting.

I like 90+fps but find I can't notice a big difference once I get around 100-120ish

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I mean there's a reason level designers have a job, and it's this

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ChazTurbo posted:

I like 90+fps but find I can't notice a big difference once I get around 100-120ish

Yep that's where I am. Maybe it'll look different if it ever gets up to like 250 FPS but there's no difference to me between 90 and 165 on my monitor.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

pixel density is more important than fps and just lol that anyone is still doing anything at 1920x1080 or lower at any framerate

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Shibawanko posted:

In games where you design levels, like Mario Maker or Megaman Maker, it's much easier to make ridiculously difficult Kaizo type levels than it is to actually make a well balanced level that has an appropriate challenge level.

Actual kaizo levels (as in levels influenced by Kaizo Mario World in some way) are incredibly difficult to make and even more difficult to make fun. If you're talking about the enemy spam garbage, hidden key garbage, and 99% of NSMB speedrun levels you get in super expert then yeah, I agree that they get less fun as the clear rate goes down.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

poverty goat posted:

pixel density is more important than fps and just lol that anyone is still doing anything at 1920x1080 or lower at any framerate

Thats probably cos anything higher requires a supercomputer

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

poverty goat posted:

It's the opposite, pixel density really isn't important above 1440p or so. There's a reason most console games aren't native resolution. Better framerate (temporal pixel density) makes a huge impact on gameplay, though - 30 FPS is slideshow level and makes everything feel really sluggish.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

remember how the actual Super Mario 2 was just a bunch of new levels in the same engine, and it was deemed too hard for Americans?

Good times.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

remember how the actual Super Mario 2 was just a bunch of new levels in the same engine, and it was deemed too hard for Americans?

Good times.

I played lost levels and Japan was right, it is too hard. we got the better Mario 2

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

They also thought Americans were dumb as hell because nobody bought Dragon Warrior and they had to unload their stock by giving it out for free with a subscription to Nintendo Power.

IIRC the marketing for Super Mario RPG was like "hey check out this cool new Mario game but get this, you have to use your brain to play it!"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

is pepsi ok posted:

They also thought Americans were dumb as hell because nobody bought Dragon Warrior and they had to unload their stock by giving it out for free with a subscription to Nintendo Power.

IIRC the marketing for Super Mario RPG was like "hey check out this cool new Mario game but get this, you have to use your brain to play it!"

Did adults not buy NES? I know adults play console games these days, but was the NES seen as a kids toy or something? Americans on PC were playing stuff like Ultima, Nethack, and Wizardry back then. Those games are way more complicated than Dragon Warrior.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've never noticed anything about framerate when playing video games and hell I'm glad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

I've never noticed anything about framerate when playing video games and hell I'm glad

Sorry about your hosed up eyes

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Did adults not buy NES? I know adults play console games these days, but was the NES seen as a kids toy or something? Americans on PC were playing stuff like Ultima, Nethack, and Wizardry back then. Those games are way more complicated than Dragon Warrior.

Yeah I'm sure that was the real reason. I was one of those kids who got it for free with Nintendo Power and I had no idea what to do with it until I got older.

Also I found that ad I was thinking of.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lambert posted:

It's the opposite, pixel density really isn't important above 1440p or so. There's a reason most console games aren't native resolution. Better framerate (temporal pixel density) makes a huge impact on gameplay, though - 30 FPS is slideshow level and makes everything feel really sluggish.

consoles are still upscaling 720p because they are made of literal garbage and it's the best they can do

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 20, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll take it over PC where the players themselves are literal garbage.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

fridge corn posted:

frameratecucks and resolutioncucks should be in asylums

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, famously great console communities. That sure is a thing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Considering Bioshock's storyline as the high watermark of storytelling, video game plots in general are still shallow garbage, with very, very few exceptions.

For example, Modern Warfare 4 (The best COD) is an actual attempt to tell a good story, but it gets lost in the shuffle as another bro shooter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lambert posted:

Yeah, famously great console communities. That sure is a thing.

The nice thing about it, is that it's such a mainstream activity that you don't have to participate in any sort of larger community. You can just play with friends. In case you are unfamiliar, a friend is a person who someone mutually enjoys spending time with.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

The nice thing about it, is that it's such a mainstream activity that you don't have to participate in any sort of larger community. You can just play with friends. In case you are unfamiliar, a friend is a person who someone mutually enjoys spending time with.

PC gaming is way way way more mainstream than console gaming. I know plenty of people that only play Leage of Legends, for example.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't bought a console since the PS2. I play games pretty frequently but it's all PC for me and I dunno if I see that changing. I mostly like indie and small dev stuff though, and TBS which never seem to get much play on consoles anyway.

When I was younger I'd gobble up RPGs but I absolutely cannot find the patience for them anymore. I don't give a fuuuck about plot, story, long winded dialogue, any of that poo poo. I tried to play Divinity Original Sin II late last year, and after the intro on a ship I suddenly find myself in a gigantic loving island town where all I can do is talk, talk, talk, to everybody. And I quit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tango alpha delta posted:

Considering Bioshock's storyline as the high watermark of storytelling, video game plots in general are still shallow garbage, with very, very few exceptions.

For example, Modern Warfare 4 (The best COD) is an actual attempt to tell a good story, but it gets lost in the shuffle as another bro shooter.

Bioshock is good, but it doesn't use the medium of video games as well as it could. Its almost entirly linear, like a book or movie.

imho the best story in video games is Fallout: New Vegas. no other game manages to pull off such open ended story telling. many multiple branching paths, with an ending that gives the player a huge amount of agency. and the factions don't just boil down to "evil vs good" either, its all shades of grey. they each (even the minor factions like the Enclave) have a legitimate claim to having the right idology

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lambert posted:

PC gaming is way way way more mainstream than console gaming. I know plenty of people that only play Leage of Legends, for example.

That doesn't mean anything. I know plenty of people that only play sports games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Bioshock is good, but it doesn't use the medium of video games as well as it could. Its almost entirly linear, like a book or movie.

imho the best story in video games is Fallout: New Vegas. no other game manages to pull off such open ended story telling. many multiple branching paths, with an ending that gives the player a huge amount of agency. and the factions don't just boil down to "evil vs good" either, its all shades of grey. they each (even the minor factions like the Enclave) have a legitimate claim to having the right idology

Thats a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Console gaming: Brazilian teens call you the pewdiepie word as a dozen dogs are beaten in the background.

PC gaming: wholesome Quake 3 freeze tag seshes where gaming wives scold you if they frag you too hard and everything ending at 10pm because the kids need to be tucked into bed.

I know which option Jesus would choose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m just loving around.

There are like 4 PC gamers itt that could probably use an atomic wedgie irl though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Thats a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

yeah, but not one of those simple ones. It's more like one of those really advanced Choose your own Adventure where you had to keep track of stats and inventory items on a seperate piece of scrap paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Kind of a bummer way to phrase that for us natives, like you were made to play a native and expected it to suck and didn't, and you were surprised by it.

Fair enough, sorry.

Just kinda amazing that AAA game protagonists have actively regressed in diversity from the 90s for pretty much no reason and now it's shockingly progressive if you play a brunette white woman with no personality instead of a brunette white man with no personality.