Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm gonna take a guess and say maybe Google will launch a nationwide internet service with no caps or throttles. Maybe package it with Stativia as a bundle.

This was Google Fiber. It was quickly destroyed by the big internet service providers and their exclusive region contracts that create monopolies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bardeh posted:

I had to step away halfway through. Did they announce a release date, pricing, exclusives, anything?

They only mentioned an old game that is already released, and a new game that will be out for months before their platform launches.

Like it takes a certain type of chutzpah and come out to talk about consoles/platforms-as-a-service for an hour and not mention any games of worth.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The idea of streaming games is such a grim dark future for me but I can't fully articulate why.

I guess the idea of no longer having the files locally or truly "owning" the software and being able to modify it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only AAA titles announced were Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Doom Eternal.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Anyway it was pretty bold of Google to declare that Australia is now disallowed from the future of gaming, but perhaps understandable in retrospect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

The idea of streaming games is such a grim dark future for me but I can't fully articulate why.

I guess the idea of no longer having the files locally or truly "owning" the software and being able to modify it.

cloud? more like :gas:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

They just had a new announcement. They are canceling Stadia, rebranding to Stadia 2.0, and combining it with Google Photos Plus, and they lost half their partnerships. It's now a product where you can only post screenshots of EA games and old Warcraft 3 replays. And the controller shut down because it needed an update but the manufacturer was bought by China and absorbed into Huawei.

They just had a new announcement. Due to high demand, Google Photos Plus is being rebranded Google Photos Lite. But they forgot the Stadia 2.0 integration so now they recombined it with the remnants of Google Plus, which doesn't technically exist but the Stadia guys didn't know that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Popete posted:

I can see Stadia for sure not appealing to anyone on this forum. We all grew up with games not having any internet connectivity at all, or very limited. My first games were on floppy discs, and then 750mb CDs. I've move onto only buying digital versions of games, but I don't think I could stomach paying $60 for a streaming only version.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Popete posted:

Who says you can't modify it? There's existing streaming companies that stream an entire desktop interface. They actually work better than Google's streaming service too. With these you are more renting a gaming computer by the hour and having it on demand anywhere but nothing says you can't implement modding into a more tailored experience.

Console games have mods now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

:cawg: :laugh:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Google hasn't made a successful product since Android. And that only succeeded due to Microsoft, Nokia, and RIM making the dumbest decisions possible, to the point that all Google had to do was make a semi-competent operating system that third parties could use.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

Who says you can't modify it? There's existing streaming companies that stream an entire desktop interface. They actually work better than Google's streaming service too. With these you are more renting a gaming computer by the hour and having it on demand anywhere but nothing says you can't implement modding into a more tailored experience.

At ~$1 per hour cloud gaming is pretty expensive right now.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But... they have more flops than XboneX!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

I'm just off put by the persistence of always online being the gaming future. Being wholly dependent on your network connection and the whims of Google or whichever streaming service you choose. It's inevitably going to be a part of gamings future and will make many games more accessible to a larger audience but I can't help but feel like we will be losing some of customization and mod ability that makes PC gaming unique. As well as smaller indie games getting less spotlight.

The idea of not owning the software you pay for I strongly dislike.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

they would know a thing or two about flops

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

BigHead posted:

They just had a new announcement. Due to high demand, Google Photos Plus is being rebranded Google Photos Lite. But they forgot the Stadia 2.0 integration so now they recombined it with the remnants of Google Plus, which doesn't technically exist but the Stadia guys didn't know that.

They just had a new announcement. Google Stadia 3.0 Plus is out. The big change is a minor tweak to the interface. And all your passwords accidentally got reset. And the names of all your games have been converted to hash values, then alphabetized!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Infinitum posted:

But... they have more flops than XboneX!

8.7 of those flops are spent collating all your personal data for ad targeting.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

You're definitely never going to have a hacky mod like Daughters of Ash for Dark Souls 1 on a streaming gaming platform

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 19, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm going to say this probably looks really good if you plug a monitor in and actually look at wherever it is streaming from. It's the compression for the streaming that is making it look like rear end.

They do need to fix that before they can brag about how powerful the hardware is. You aren't selling hardware, you are selling a service. I don't care what the hardware is behind YouTube I just want to watch the videos and have them not like look rear end.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Why are these dumb tech companies convinced that just because music and movies thrive on streaming platforms that video games are poised to thrive in a similarly formatted environment as well?

Music and movies are very very different from video games in both a technical and usage context.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"LOOK AT ALL OUR TERRAFLOOOOPS *streams game over lovely American internet, becoming a grainy mess*"

Super Jay Mann posted:

Why are these dumb tech companies convinced that just because music and movies thrive on streaming platforms that video games are poised to thrive in a similarly formatted environment as well?
Music and movies are very very different from video games in both a technical and usage context.

Because gaming is now a bigger industry than movies, television, and music, and all they see are dollar signs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Popete posted:

I’d be fine with it once performance is on par with no hitches/lag. I’ve gotten over the concept of “owning” games forever since :filez: will continue to be the endgame for preservation anyways.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's really clear that this hasn't left Silicon Valley board rooms because anybody that's not a fart sniffing techbro could tell you that American Internet speeds that the ISPs allow can't make this viable.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gmq posted:

At ~$1 per hour cloud gaming is pretty expensive right now.

I wasn't implying it was cheap, or even affordable. It's a better product than Google is delivering though and Google should be doing better they have way more money to throw at this.

If Google wants a product to succeed they need to do what they did with Gmail and leave it in beta for several years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pros: no box!
Cons: no box...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Popete posted:

I'm just off put by the persistence of always online being the gaming future. Being wholly dependent on your network connection and the whims of Google or whichever streaming service you choose. It's inevitably going to be a part of gamings future and will make many games more accessible to a larger audience but I can't help but feel like we will be losing some of customization and mod ability that makes PC gaming unique. As well as smaller indie games getting less spotlight.

Not to mention it will make game preservation harder, look at what happened to the Scott Pilgrim game and P.T.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Giving this bad boy a wide berth folks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Popete posted:

Steam alone bothers me. Hence why I use GOG when I can. This is at a whole different level.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention it will make game preservation harder, look at what happened to the Scott Pilgrim game and P.T.

It's cool that movie streaming was supposed to be great for old films which wouldn't be profitable to release physically and now Netflix doesn't have anything more than like three years old

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's weird that there's so many hardware/platform/"service providers" are leaning into these types of streaming services when they're probably only a good idea for low-impact, narrative driven games at a time when all the third parties seem to be pulling away from that direction, in favor of bandwidth intensive multiplayer and multiplayer-esque games where they can try and sell you microtransactions until you've bankrupted yourself, right?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is entirely about Google roping more people into their ecosystem and YouTube, they could probably launch this thing for free and still make money off it. Ads and constant pestering to watching some YouTube influencers videos will probably be subtle at launch but over time take over more of the "service".

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Accordion Man posted:

It's really clear that this hasn't left Silicon Valley board rooms because anybody that's not a fart sniffing techbro could tell you that American Internet speeds that the ISPs allow can't make this viable.

I don't think it's so much the speed as the data caps. With a 1tb data cap and based on project streams data usage you're looking at 20 hours or so of 4K gaming

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Steam alone bothers me. Hence why I use GOG when I can. This is at a whole different level.

@IGN: Remember, folks, due to Devolver Digital's new exclusivity deal with Amazon TwitchPlay, all Devolver games are leaving Stadia in April! Get your Hotline Miami in when you can!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ohtsam posted:

I don't think it's so much the speed as the data caps. With a 1tb data cap and based on project streams data usage you're looking at 20 hours or so of 4K gaming
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the data caps.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I am really surprised to see this thing being panned across the internet. It is absolutely the future of playing games.

For me, a guy with a 3 year old laptop that can play non-graphically intense games pretty OK, this service looks loving cool as hell. I'd love to be able to subscribe to a service and get to try all the big flashy games without having to keep up with hardware and buying expensive new titles.

I will definitely be giving it a shot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3rd time's the charm.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 19, 2019

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

How are u posted:

I am really surprised to see this thing being panned across the internet. It is absolutely the future of playing games.

For me, a guy with a 3 year old laptop that can play non-graphically intense games pretty OK, this service looks loving cool as hell. I'd love to be able to subscribe to a service and get to try all the big flashy games without having to keep up with hardware and buying expensive new titles.

I will definitely be giving it a shot.

I don't think this is going to be a Netflix like situation. You'll probably have a sub on top of buying the games. Which means you might end up paying more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pixaal posted:

I'm going to say this probably looks really good if you plug a monitor in and actually look at wherever it is streaming from. It's the compression for the streaming that is making it look like rear end.
I mean said compression is google's own compression because youtube is their service, so... that's what it's going to look like at release