Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so while I was googling my Africa Signifiers I found out that the translation of the Lion King's seminal opening line is "look a lion is coming father"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Lions...boy, I don't know!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

so while I was googling my Africa Signifiers I found out that the translation of the Lion King's seminal opening line is "look a lion is coming father"

lmao

Majorian posted:

Lions...boy, I don't know!

luv 2 get together as all the prey animals and celebrate a new predator being born

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WampaLord posted:

luv 2 get together as all the prey animals and celebrate a new predator being born

babby's first feudalism

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I can't believe it's not Buttercup!

Poor little Buttercup!

In fact it's Ainsley Hayes, bitch! and she's taking the White House Counsel's office by caricatured expectation of fragility and white-knighting!

It's our fault, we got Morris Dees fired. Except holy poo poo if the SPLC fires your rear end you KNOW you done hosed up. He's 82 and white he's probably got skeletons for CLOSETS.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I can't believe it's not Buttercup!

Poor little Buttercup!

In fact it's Ainsley Hayes, bitch! and she's taking the White House Counsel's office by caricatured expectation of fragility and white-knighting!

It's our fault, we got Morris Dees fired. Except holy poo poo if the SPLC fires your rear end you KNOW you done hosed up. He's 82 and white he's probably got skeletons for CLOSETS.

I legit like Gilbert and Sullivan because I’m a weirdo, but holy poo poo Sorkin makes me hate them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Majorian posted:

I legit like Gilbert and Sullivan because I’m a weirdo, but holy poo poo Sorkin makes me hate them.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with enjoying poo poo like Hamilton or Gilbert and Sullivan or other bougie theater type stuff, just understand how this stuff is used as a class signifier/gatekeeper and don't act snooty about people not understanding your deep cut Modern Major General references and you're fine.

Basically learn the lessons of Frasier, snobbery is ridiculous, everything is trash and we all are eating from the trashcan all the time. *makes Zizek sniffing noises*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My BIL texted to admonish me for not credential checking Sam on his claim to have been the recording secretary of the Princeton G&S society

Which, I'll admit, was a major oversight but let's be clear it's tournament season and I've been half in the bag at least since Wednesday

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WampaLord posted:

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with enjoying poo poo like Hamilton or Gilbert and Sullivan or other bougie theater type stuff, just understand how this stuff is used as a class signifier/gatekeeper and don't act snooty about people not understanding your deep cut Modern Major General references and you're fine.

Plus some of it’s pretty loving racist, but hey, so is a lot of Fine Art. (tm)

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Maybe I'm just thinking about this episode too much, but I loved John Larroquette on the West Wing because he chews all the scenery. So these two idiots in the council's office know their boss is a crazy guy who is not going to put up with any of their poo poo, I mean this is the one thing the show has told us about him, and they just flush their careers because they assume Hayes is too much of a wimp to ever tattle on them? Or are they banking that she is 'too strong' to report to their boss that these two shitbags aren't doing their jobs?

I'm really looking forward to the end of end of season 4 as I have never re-watched it, but my memory is that it is 100% pure distilled :decorum: which I just can't get enough of in the year of our lord 2019.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Well, if we're to talk about the laundry list of episodes that we're personally waiting for; here's mine:

- the 9/11 special; the one episode even West Wing apologists won't defend
- the episode that evangelizes the loving Gall Peters map projection
- 25th Amendment shenanigans (season 5)
- the Lessig episode (season 6)
- the Democratic Convention aka Jimmy Smits refuses to cut a deal with the Teachers Union and instead wins the nomination with a loving speech (season 6)
- the episode where Matt Santos has to give a speech after a cop kills a black kid
- the first episode you guys record after Beto's campaign crashes and burns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I want the one that's a literal remake of Sports night but with Rob Lowe playing the Josh Molina part (somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to jail)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
i'm going to preempt my typical episode-posting and say holy poo poo this episode is boring. if you're a watcher-alonger, gently caress that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Acinonyx posted:

Maybe I'm just thinking about this episode too much, but I loved John Larroquette on the West Wing because he chews all the scenery. So these two idiots in the council's office know their boss is a crazy guy who is not going to put up with any of their poo poo, I mean this is the one thing the show has told us about him, and they just flush their careers because they assume Hayes is too much of a wimp to ever tattle on them? Or are they banking that she is 'too strong' to report to their boss that these two shitbags aren't doing their jobs?

I'm really looking forward to the end of end of season 4 as I have never re-watched it, but my memory is that it is 100% pure distilled :decorum: which I just can't get enough of in the year of our lord 2019.

yes absolutely lol the Sorkin-drawdown time period is some very milquetoast TV

also have i mentioned i like your username it takes me back to field school

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
stealing a minute from my boss to post a a big ol' gently caress YOU to the writers for this episode

lmao at "employee fraud" being a concern for small businesses. I mean... I guess for the OWNER of the small business? The one person.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That lame-duck self-defeating paradigm is... lame.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Me, pounding on my desk: NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CaptainRat posted:

Me, pounding on my desk: NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS!

Generals, wearing helmets and goggles, pounding their clipboards: NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS! NUCLEAR TESTS!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

do an episode on Jimmy Smits as Beto

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe this is the outside the purview of this thread but the other guy who made an influential early 00s TV show about politics is now going on an condescending tirade/meltdown on Twitter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

On the other hand I just read about the Shame Duck in Wisconsin and now I thing the turn-over should be immediate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe this is the outside the purview of this thread but the other guy who made an influential early 00s TV show about politics is now going on an condescending tirade/meltdown on Twitter.

I haven't gotten past like episode 3 of The Wire, I keep meaning to get around to it at some point.

Victory Position posted:

do an episode on Jimmy Smits as Beto

He doesn't show up till like Season 6, ya gotta be patient!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

i watched through season... beginning of season 4. after certain events. I should finish it out, I think.

I see a lot more David Simon meltdowns on twitter these days, he used to actually have some game but has fallen up his own rear end

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i watched through season... beginning of season 4. after certain events. I should finish it out, I think.

I see a lot more David Simon meltdowns on twitter these days, he used to actually have some game but has fallen up his own rear end

season 4 is easily the best one. you should finish that part at least

5 isn't as good and has a really obvious simon stand-in character but it's still better than most stuff that was on tv at the time or since

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Dave Anthony is launching a west wing podcast

Sorry we are the pioneers, Dave

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I'm sorry but I will listen to both.

I am a dirty traitor who likes to hear people dunk on liberal tv shows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Two Daves talking about this awful show? No, no, no.

There can be only one! :black101: *Princes of the Universe starts playing*

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
STEALING TV WATCHER VALOR

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

STEALING TV WATCHER VALOR

This will not stand. It is time.

I have embedded subliminal messages into each episode. When I say the code phrase in our next episode, you will all subconsciously log into Twitter and tweet at Dave Anthony and tell him there's only room for one Dave in the West Wing Podcast Space. Perform your job well, meme warriors. o7

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
time for some go-off on this week's episode because Gay Congressman Is Gay and attempting to muddy the waters this way makes for extremely confusing television.

"Both Sides!" the writers mumble to themselves as they scribble their arguments into tautological corners

have a listen

Dave Anthony, apologize binch

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Be gay, do crimes all over Dave Anthony's timeline, my programmed meme warriors

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Use this as a chance to get on the Dollop.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1112573907956060160

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/roguesocks/status/1112574791863750657

Hollywood = money = privilege = worthless neoliberal centrism PRACTICAL IDEALISM

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1112575636630093824

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Maybe Bradley's beliefs about sexual harassment mirror his character? In a show of problematic characters, Josh stood apart.

On an unrelated note, I am very jealous if you were doing field work in a place where knowing what my user name is would be relevant. My only field work seasons were in Vermont and the middle of nowhere MI. Maybe that's why I got out of the biology game; I missed out on Sierra Nevada and Kenya.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
south africa was fun for a summer but i should've pivoted into modern human ecology from human ancestors and... become an ecologist

i even had a second shot but life happened, and because we as a society don't value scientists or the pursuit of knowledge that isn't profitable, or more precisely antithetical to profit, now i'm not an ecologist or a doctor.

at least my third career change attempt, as I move into the robust field of picked-over corpses in a climate change apocalypse, looks like a slam dunk!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

at least my third career change attempt, as I move into the robust field of picked-over corpses in a climate change apocalypse, looks like a slam dunk!

Here's my post apocalypse job, finally my brain that recalls all these minor details about pop culture will come in use to keep the historical record alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

Also I will keep intact the Jeb! lore.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

E: vvv we aim to please :tipshat:

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy