Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Leperflesh posted:

Functional things like furniture and clothes can't be copyrighted, so the only IP protections available are patents (invent a novel way of putting together a chair?) and trademark (create a distinctive look that is not derivitive of prior art and is clearly indicitive of your brand). The latter is very very difficult, which is why for example fashion designers sometimes try to work a unique print with their trademarked logo into it, or based on an original work of art for which they have copyright, to prevent it being re-used.

For all practical concerns though, there is no functional intellectual property right to a furniture design. You can argue that perhaps there ought to be, or that people reproducing your design are "ripping you off," but this is the reality we all have lived in for a couple of centuries and it's not likely to change any time soon.

You say that but look at this in the EU: https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/1-7-august-2016/fake-replicas-classic-furniture-designs-now-banned-new-copyright-ruling/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

I just wanna point out that there are three showerheads

And none of them hold pressure bc they're diffused rainfall showerheads

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yawgmoth posted:

Well that's what it's called so unless you want to have the "I call it herpaderp because it's not property! :byodood:" conversation a million times and spending the extra time to establish credibility before and after that (because that line always generates eye rolling, internally or externally), you're gonna just have to cope with that little misnomer.

Copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets are different things with different legal protections and it is rarely useful to conflate them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Alright judge Judy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is cool, and goes beyond what the US does, but note:

quote:

To be granted the right of being a classic design, 3D designs must qualify as “works of artistic craftsmanship”, according to the Intellectual Property Office – this means they have required special training and skill to make, they are seen as a “piece of art”, and the designer purposefully intended to create a work of art.

It can be difficult to defend a functional work as primarily intended as art. Particularly if you're mass producing them and selling them in furniture stores. And that defense would be expensive regardless.

Platystemon posted:

Copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets are different things with different legal protections and it is rarely useful to conflate them.

It is useful to combine them into a category of intellectual property, such as when discussing legal protection of original works in general or when seeking an IP attorney, but it's true that tons of people randomly conflate or substitute one term for another (most commonly referring to trademarks as copyrights I think), and there is a looot of general misunderstanding of IP laws and fair use out there.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

*posts full movie on youtube*

I DO NOT OWN THIS, NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They fired all their artists years ago as an unnecessary and unpredictable expenditure.

Why pay a designer when you can rip someone else off.

I don't know how I'm still employed at my current job. My work has been reduced to copying salesforce and I die every day I'm still here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

It is useful to combine them into a category of intellectual property, such as when discussing legal protection of original works in general or when seeking an IP attorney

That’s one good use case and I’ll add to that that it’s useful to combine them when talking about acquisition.

If I were acquiring the failing automaker Tesla, I’m not interested in their deathtrap manufacturing facilities. I want the name, the patents, the computer code running on their cars or used in production, the whole package.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rotten Cookies posted:

My brain was trying to make a point of
metal=strong, monolithic, utilitatian
Leather/wood/fabric=comfortable, organic, not (as) strong.
Then going back and saying "but what if I were to try and make more organic looking metal tables and poo poo?" not trying to make a point that those materials are all inferior and shouldn't be used.

Best I got for ya.

Nah, I get you. No worries. I was more picking on the “form over function” phrase than anything

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Unless you put them in the sun, where they will burn the gently caress out of you, much like the metal playground slides of my childhood.

I accounted for that- that’s why I said “wood and leather work as insulators” and not “metal is cold”

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
In relation to Prada Slut eames chair, what are the original classic designs that inspired the copies? What classic pieces should Joe Bloggs be looking for instead of ripoffs?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a vintage knockoff of this Eames chair that’s the best five bucks I ever spent.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sloth Life posted:

In relation to Prada Slut eames chair, what are the original classic designs that inspired the copies? What classic pieces should Joe Bloggs be looking for instead of ripoffs?

The “official” ones are manufactured by various producers just the same (Vitra for one), but they have paid for the right to produce them.

Official Eames lounge chairs in the UK start at £6000 new, which is just a preposterous price.

There are cheap unofficial copies of low quality, but also plenty of high quality ones.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Sloth Life posted:

Copies are great. Ain't nobody got the money for genuine Eames and Corbusier.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Enchanted Hat posted:

Copies are great. Ain't nobody got the money for genuine Eames and Corbusier.

I certainly don't but apparently if you want respect, original furniture is mandatory. Cult furniture or made.com ain't gonna cut it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gently caress it, just start making all your own furniture.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Workin' on it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

High 5 buddy. I'm making a sideboard out of dead tree bits. I have an idea for metal legs but don't have a bender so it's wood this time around.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

cakesmith handyman posted:

High 5 buddy. I'm making a sideboard out of dead tree bits. I have an idea for metal legs but don't have a bender so it's wood this time around.

You don't have a hammer??

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Workin' on it

Same here.

My current stuff is total amateur hour, but mostly am building small stuff while I still learn techniques, that will be replaced later on with more substantial quality stuff I build as I get better.

I built this little shoe rack / bench to sit on and store shoes as we don't have a proper entryway and I didn't want a big open shoe rack right by the garage door that goes directly into the dining room. All the dimensions etc were worked out for the space it needed to occupy, the shoes we wanted it to contain and the height that was most comfortable for my partner and I to sit on.

Biggest mistake was making doors too big. They look fine in proportion if looking directly at the cabinet at eye level projection (just as I had drawn it). But once it was down on the floor I realized the large doors occluded the curved cutout at the bottom and it looks a bit clumsy. Lesson learned. Design your furniture to look good from the angle it is viewed at in the room, not in a diagram.

The top is 3 strips of maple butted with cherry at each end. Proportionally this is identical to the table that will be in the same room. I have some 8' maple planks that will be the tabletop with cherry ends, finished in the same way. It's a fun and rewarding hobby, but I've got a long way to go.

I'll probably have a lot more design questions as we start to take on entire rooms for planning and decorating. We bought a big New England Colonial. It's got white oak floors and white oak cabinets. Not bad looking and will probably keep those that way, but would be good to get some suggestions for building up color palletes / styles based on what we have in place. Current furniture is just all the random crap my partner and I picked up along the way from grad school etc and will ultimately all be replaced by things I build or stuff we decide to buy.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

That’s really nice and looks well done.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
i like the ikea skar one i have. it was pretty easy to put togetehr too. but i'd love a wine-rack style thing for my shoes as i have a number of high narrow spaces. what can i use?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Is this cakewrecks

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm the bumper piece sticking out of the sides at perfect shin height.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

i like the ikea skar one i have. it was pretty easy to put togetehr too. but i'd love a wine-rack style thing for my shoes as i have a number of high narrow spaces. what can i use?

IVAR?

I think there are some good tall/stackable IKEA options.

My phone keeps trying to correct “tall” to “y’all” and I haven’t the faintest loving clue why. I live in Massachusetts.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

I'm the room divider dividing 1 sqft of inaccessible room in the corner.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

Look up slipper racks. There are also lots of wall-hanging options.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm the room divider dividing 1 sqft of inaccessible room in the corner.

That's the Shame Screen, clearly

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Is that wall art a quote from Walk Hard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOi_kZffAho

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

If you can't sleep in a race car, sleep in the next best thing

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
At least the colour is nice? In the tinypic before I could see what exactly was going in, I did like the palette

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I would proudly sleep in that bed.

truck bed. lol.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Born to crack shins
in my man cave

truckin' n fuckin'
is all that I crave

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If this trucks's rockin, don't come knockin

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Life ain't always life but it's a life life.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stealie72 posted:

If this trucks's rockin, don't come knockin

If this truck’s rockin, an excited five year old boy with an overzealous pinterest mom has just horribly injured himself on the corner of that bumper

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Clockwerk posted:

That’s really nice and looks well done.

Thank you! I was happy with how it turned out but definitely found lots to improve on after finishing it. The next piece will be all the better for it.

E: just realized those pics were from before I put in the door pulls. I just used some 1" round dark burnished bronze pulls. They fit well with the wood color.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

I wonder how much of that is because millennials realized they don't want or need that much space, and how much of that is because millennials can't afford giant houses(or any houses, if they live on the west coast).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Haifisch posted:

I wonder how much of that is because millennials realized they don't want or need that much space, and how much of that is because millennials can't afford giant houses(or any houses, if they live on the west coast).

Ahahahahhha

oh wait sorry I thought this was the schadenfreude thread

and I guarantee it's more the latter than the former, there's a difference between "don't want the space" and "don't need the space, would make use of the space if it was available but the house is too expensive/poorly located even before we start talking about energy costs, maintenance, and property taxes"

if you handed someone a studio or a mcmansion and said "these will both cost you the same amount of money" I don't know anyone who would say "studio please"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's a wide range of sizes between studio apartment and McMansion, though. They can be hard to find if you don't live somewhere with pre-2000s housing stock, but they exist.

I might be biased because I grew up in a small house where we made use of all the space, then we moved to a bigger two-story house where two of the rooms rarely got used, the dining room usually only got used as a computer station, the second bathroom almost never got used, and the downstairs family room was effectively my oversized video gaming room. You could have lopped off half the house and there would have been no real effect on our lives. I feel like people overestimate how much space they'll actually use until they've been in a house with more space than anyone in it has a use for(but still has to clean and maintain, because those rooms don't just stop existing when you don't use them).