Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Oof. That’s good.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

I'm super into them, but wrong "E36"

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cobalt60 posted:

looks like an M5 that ate a lemon and doesn't like his surroundings

Ok I take that jab back, I still love the Alfa but you're right and I lol'd for real

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC4hbh-yWW4

This is a war crime, send them to the Hague.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Hey guys! I have a 2008 X3 3.0i, just got a new battery, and the ABS, airbag and 4x4 lights are coming on like they did before I got the battery replaced and had the codes cleared. Any ideas what could be wrong? I am guessing I should check the alternator, but I am onpen to ideas I am unaware of.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deadguy2322 posted:

Hey guys! I have a 2008 X3 3.0i, just got a new battery, and the ABS, airbag and 4x4 lights are coming on like they did before I got the battery replaced and had the codes cleared. Any ideas what could be wrong? I am guessing I should check the alternator, but I am onpen to ideas I am unaware of.

Did you code the battery?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

oh man the price on this one has finally cracked the 20k threshold

anything look out of order on this? the leather looks a bit worn but drat, that price with the bearings already addressed...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2008-bmw-e90-m3-sedan-6-speed-manual/6844423690.html

You better have bought this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Missed it

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

H110Hawk posted:

Did you code the battery?

Yeah, my mechanic did all the programming and even took it for a shakedown to make sure the code clear was good. Two weeks later, all the error lights came back and I’m once again without ABS and AWD.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I weep for your loss, friend. That looked like a steal, IMHO.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Deadguy2322 posted:

Yeah, my mechanic did all the programming and even took it for a shakedown to make sure the code clear was good. Two weeks later, all the error lights came back and I’m once again without ABS and AWD.

Like the other guy said, check your alternator. Also, once in my e46 a bad starter gave the same symptoms as a bad battery/alternator.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Someone posted earlier in the thread about getting BMW keys online and programming them at home (if I remember right). Anyone have a link?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Someone wanna spot me 18 grand?

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/middle-haddam-bmw525i-wagon/6842995591.html

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Someone posted earlier in the thread about getting BMW keys online and programming them at home (if I remember right). Anyone have a link?

BraveUlysses pointed me too here.

https://thebmwminipartstore.com/faq/index.cfm?action=faq&faqCategoryID=1654&siteID=218365

They'll order the key from BMW with proof of ownership and then you can go through the programming steps yourself. Worked for my e46.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:discourse:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Popete posted:

BraveUlysses pointed me too here.

https://thebmwminipartstore.com/faq/index.cfm?action=faq&faqCategoryID=1654&siteID=218365

They'll order the key from BMW with proof of ownership and then you can go through the programming steps yourself. Worked for my e46.

Exactly what i was looking for thanks!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ahh, the ultimate sleeper, just under 7 seconds to 60mph AND 11 miles to the gallon? <loses race to an FR-S>

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Like the other guy said, check your alternator. Also, once in my e46 a bad starter gave the same symptoms as a bad battery/alternator.

Well, it starts fine, so probably the alternator. Thanks!
Hopefully I just need to tension the belt a bit, and not replace the alternator.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Upon further reflection that swapped E34 wagon is dumb. I'll continue to dream about doing an S62 swap on an E34 wagon someday instead.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Pibur posted:

Upon further reflection that swapped E34 wagon is dumb. I'll continue to dream about doing an S62 swap on an E34 wagon someday instead.

It’ll sell on BaT for 72K

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Just installed the Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade in my F30 Sedan and E46 Sedan. For the price and ease of installation (took me just under 2 hours, no experience or business installing car audio), they are great upgrades over Hi-Fi. Sound isn’t muddy anymore, but I did have to zero out the treble and bass as it was a little too bright for my taste, and I have the Ghost subs coming tomorrow. I bought a JL Audio 7 ch amp to replace the factory amp in fear of blowing out the speakers with too little power, that should be here next week. :3:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So you're finding that the Bavsound stuff is actually worth it? I was always under the impression it was way, way overpriced for what it is, but maybe that's changed.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois

Paradoxish posted:

So you're finding that the Bavsound stuff is actually worth it? I was always under the impression it was way, way overpriced for what it is, but maybe that's changed.

I paid $450 + $20 shipping for each set (E46, F30, E92). After each set, they sent me a coupon for $75 off the subs, I only purchased one set of Ghost Subs for the F30. Depending on how they sound, I may purchase the set for the E92. The E46 I can easily toss an cheapy hifonics amp and a Kicker Comp 12" for $200. When I bought it it was pre-wired for a sub/amp, so the cables are all there, I just need to hook up the amp.

I did the math, purchasing a set of components for the front (Alpine/Pioneer = $175ish), then the rear mid-range's (another $100), and then some sort of DSP to get it all wired to the stock radio/amp = another $200 (at least). For that kind of money, I took the plunge and just went with speakers that are literally plug and play. And I didn't have to search for custom brackets since they drop into the factory spots and you use the same screws. When it comes down to it, the ability to plug and play and forget about it without having to have an installer gently caress with your wiring and having decent speakers is well worth the money. When you pop out the old ones and compare them with the bavsound, you can immediately tell the quality difference, and you can hear it. I would put them around the same quality as Alpine Type R components, as that's what I had in my Scion xB before.

For the F30, I got 4 mid-range speakers, two tweeters for the front, and one center channel with a spacer/bracket. Everything fit into the factory holes and you use the same bolts. The Hi-Fi factory amp powers them pretty well, but I bought the Technics PNP wiring harness ($60ish) so that the JL amp I am getting is plug and play. They sold some factory amp replacement that's PNP also, but it's $1000 :stare: The JL 7-channel was $500. I'll lose the center channel when I hook it up, but who cares since my understanding is it just mashes L/R channels together.

F30 Install went like this: 1) Started at passenger front door, used plastic body puller tool to pop the door handle trim off, there were two T20 screws under the handle (or that trim, rather). On the bottom right of the door, I stuck that same plastic tool in and popped two of the clips, used my hands for pull off the entire door panel. I didn't even un-do any of the wires or the door handle. I just kind of let it dangle. 3 screws held the speaker in place. Removed, installed new one. Factory speaker wires plugged right into it. The tweeter was accessed by pulling on a single clip under the tweeter, tweeter came out by pushing back a single clip, pulled on it and popped out. New tweeter went into the factory spot. Plug tweeter into harness between speaker. Reassembled the door. 2) Repeat step 1 three more times as you move around the car 3) Popped center speaker grill out. 3 T20 screws. Replace speaker with new one and new spacer. Replace screws, replace grill.

Done.

If your car has been subjected to the elements or is a little older, consider purchasing more door clips because its those clips that get brittle real easy. Thankfully I didn't break any, but I could easily imagine someone else doing so. Those panels are in there TIGHT. I experienced this issue more with my E46. They were 50 for $6 on Amazon.

For the E46, I got a total of 6 speakers and 2 tweeters (2 front tweeters, two midrange front doors, two midrange rear doors, two midrange in the rear "trunk"). Came with everything (harnesses) to hook up, albeit this was a little bit harder as you have to glue the rear door speakers back into the bracket, and you're sitting there for an hour twiddling your thumbs until the glue sets, but hey, they send you some glue to do it also.

For the E92, I got a total of 4 speakers, but they are coaxial and have the tweeters built into them.

I was skeptical at first, and seeing some of the reviews on say bimmerforums (one of them said they actually received a free set in exchange for the review) or F30 forums sounded too good to be true-ish, and sound is really subjective but in the end I'm glad I made the jump. At least for the components. Subs- the jury is out on til I receive the tomorrow, and I was considering going for a ported JL W6/7 in the back of the F30 but I figure BMW really seals their trunks and I'd be wasting that performance. Then I said I wanted the trunk space. The subs were $500 for both, and they claim twice the power over stock on the stock amp (10db increase, better sound, little distortion). I watched the install video and read some peoples install times, it should literally take about 15 minutes, as they are plug and play also. Some guy on another forum said that the F30 install took him 4.5 hours over the course of 2 days. How he took 4.5 hours on this install is mind boggling, as the instructions are pretty straightforward, they included all the tools you need in the toolkit, and it took me 1hr 54minutes to do the entire install.
For reference, I have never installed car audio, ever. And I just turned 34. Unless you are installing sound-deadening, which he wasn't, even then I can't imagine it taking another 2.5 hours to do.

Edit: photos

Left new tweeter, right old one

Left new midrange, right old midrange

Center speaker, 6 clips hold it in place. Underneath are 3 bolts holding the speaker in. DO NOT LOSE ONE inside that void. You will hate yourself.

Two screws underneath the trim hold on the door on. The top arrow is where you pull to reveal the tweeter.

Rear. Same thing, two screws, and start pulling at the bottom. Much easier and you have a lesser chance of breaking the clips.

Duccy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 20, 2019

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

A couple weeks into ownership and I am really loving this car. Love the tight steering and the way the power just is there when you want it. Still don’t understand iDrive or why it is chiming at me so much when I get in but otherwise a very very fun car. Thanks for the support thread

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If there is one thing BMW does great it's blue colors. They always seem to nail the blue color for their design.
So good looking.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Not That Into You posted:

A couple weeks into ownership and I am really loving this car. Love the tight steering and the way the power just is there when you want it. Still don’t understand iDrive or why it is chiming at me so much when I get in but otherwise a very very fun car. Thanks for the support thread

We got the same car at the same time, rad. I found out you can turn down the gongs in the volume settings, which is nice. I also installed the BMS air intake last night and now the car makes cool turbo noises.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Someone that lives a street over from me just offered an entire Z3 2.8 rear subframe/trailing arms/diff/axles etc to drop in my 318ti. And the potentially the front spindles/brakes and a good aluminum block M52.

Guess I might keep it now!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Get a coding cable and app and you can turn off all the chimes/warnings/nav warnings, etc and also code other cool features. Every BMW forum has a coding section.

The old way to do it like I did on my cars with a cable laptop/downloaded files/intricate coding/saving process is dead now I guess.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Well, spoke to the garage, and I need an alternator now. $1300 including labour. Ugh.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Not That Into You posted:

Seconding Keyser's remarks re: coding to get rid of the annoying bloops any time you open the car. A local friend in the BMW community brought his iCarly to a drive we had and got rid of the chimes for me and enabled in-motion DVD playing :shh: I didn't care about all the other stuff like doors down when holding unlock or power fold mirrors in/out etc.

Deadguy2322 posted:

Well, spoke to the garage, and I need an alternator now. $1300 including labour. Ugh.

That is just an N52, it should be a pretty easy job to DIY if you are even remotely mechanically inclined. I swapped out the alternator of my E36 M3 in a parking lot in the dark. With light I have had it removed in under 15 minutes and back in about the same amount of time. It was the only easy job on that car I felt.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is just an N52, it should be a pretty easy job to DIY if you are even remotely mechanically inclined. I swapped out the alternator of my E36 M3 in a parking lot in the dark. With light I have had it removed in under 15 minutes and back in about the same amount of time. It was the only easy job on that car I felt.

I'm glad to see BMW moved the alternator on the N52. The position the E46 wasn't as bad as it gets, but still rage inducing.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Seconding Keyser's remarks re: coding to get rid of the annoying bloops any time you open the car. A local friend in the BMW community brought his iCarly to a drive we had and got rid of the chimes for me and enabled in-motion DVD playing :shh: I didn't care about all the other stuff like doors down when holding unlock or power fold mirrors in/out etc.

I’m fairly handy under a hood, I did the plugs and coils on my wife’s 2011 328i at home. Problem is that I have a really bad back thanks to a spinal defect, and I need my car for work, so I can’t risk ending up in so much pain that I have to take a few days off working on it in the middle of the job.

Also, I can write off the expense on my taxes next year, so in the long run it won’t be too bad overall.

And only $200 of the estimate is labour. gently caress the Canadian peso!

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2019

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
how do I tell my E82 that "it's just a bag in the passenger seat, I promise?"

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Cobalt60 posted:

Replace the seat sensor with a resistor.*

*please don't actually do this.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cobalt60 posted:

buckle it up!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
haha there's really no "click this button if I swear it's just a sack?"

I'm not usually very OCD but buckling the passenger seatbelt is a non-starter for me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My temporary plates expired today and I am officially testing my luck with going No Front Plate (required in my state)

Drove 3 hours and passed/followed many, many a cop, including one who pulled over a Prius going 90mph trying to pass me on the right.

So far so good!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Well that didn't take long. Someone in a lifted F250 with huge wheels couldn't get out of their parking spot without driving into my car. Luckily his name was on the side of his truck and it was a busy parking lot, so he stopped and left his number.